First Reformed (Paul Schrader, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Roger Ryan

Re: First Reformed (Paul Schrader, 2018)

#101 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21 am

Never Cursed wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:01 am
Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 pm
SpoilerShow
Just rewatched this last night, and would like to mention a little detail that I think might aid in discerning whether or not the ending is in fact a dying hallucination. Aside from Schrader's abandoned script direction that this moment be the first time the camera moves, I think the strongest piece of evidence would be that Mary is able to enter through a door that Jeffers couldn't get through because it was locked only moments before.
SpoilerShow
See, I've thought the same too, but I've always thought of that as evidence of a supernatural force at play in Toller and Mary's interactions rather than Toller hallucinating.
SpoilerShow
Schrader points out the locked door in his commentary as the major clue to what he intended with the ending. He offers three possibilities: Mary actually interrupts Toller's suicide attempt (not likely given that locked door); Toller hallucinates Mary's appearance which distracts him from drinking the clog cleaner; Toller's reunion with Mary is a dying hallucination after drinking the clog cleaner. Schrader notes that he doesn't care which version the viewer chooses because, to him, they are all "happy" endings!

FrauBlucher

#102 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:24 pm

This is a great film. One of Shrader's best, and one can argue his best. I thought the mise en scene was extraordinary.

How in the world did Ethan Hawke not get a nomination. That's shows how bullshit the Academy is.
mfunk wrote:I don't buy into the idea that Toller is a particularly faithful man, in the sense that he is using this vocation as a temporary salve for his wounds rather than a true salvation from them.
I agree with this take. He seemed unsure everytime someone asked for his help or assistance. He would stammer and pause before answering. I found that peculiar for a minister to react that way.
SpoilerShow
And when he told Esther that he was disgusted by her, that was shattering to her and brutally shocking coming from a minister. This as well made me question his ministerly vocation
The ending I thought was reality, until I read what mfunk said LQ had suggested. That made sense to me and plays into the other abstract scene
SpoilerShow
of floating in space while Mary was lying on top of Toller ....Plus Mary came through the door that was previously locked when Jeffers tried to get in

Slaphappy

#103 Post by Slaphappy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:39 pm

All the Best People wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 am
Very disappointing as I've been a huge advocate of Schrader as a filmmaker and a personality, but after the first hour (as mentioned above, basically a modern spin on Winter Light by way of Diary of a Country Priest), which is intriguing, it just slowly (as also mentioned above) descends into complete self-parody. I almost feel like this is the Schrader film for people who don't like Schrader films, but then some other fans seem to think this is some sort of of crowning achievement rather than the humiliating last gasp I found it to be.
I agree. Really hard not to think about the podcast Schrader did few years ago with Bret Easton Ellis. Back then he told, that when filming Dog Eat Dog they knew there wasn't enough money to make an actually good movie, so they threw in every outrageous idea they could think of hoping to get the some sort of critical mass to make it at least interesting. Even though it’s more minimalist, I got the same vibe from First Reformed. Toller's character is really well thought of and the environmental issues give the movie a huge gravity as do the barren cinematography and Hawke’s performance, but slowly it all starts to feel like another troll job.
SpoilerShow
The escalation is very gradual and the bomb west pop up and the bloody suicide surprise are shocking at first. Then comes the waste dump funeral, the duo levitation, the suicide bomber Protestant and finally barbed wire self-punishment before passionate death trip hallucinations. When credits start to roll even the first half starts to seem like a well crafted joke of sorts.

whaleallright

#104 Post by whaleallright » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm

The hysteria of the latter part of the film seemed like an absolutely honest and understandable reaction (both within the world of the film and on Schrader's part) to a civilization bent on suicide. I'm surprised, frankly, that more people don't behave this way, and more filmmakers don't make films like this.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#105 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am

Plenty of evidence (aside from the film's overall quality) that it's very difficult to do something like this right. I would say that Vox Lux, also released last year, has this kind of approach to observing a civilization bent on suicide. It just takes a more circuitous route and leaves more up to the viewer, which is why it probably just isn't quite as good as First Reformed in the cold light of day (but I love it just as much).

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#106 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Four injured in attacks by right-wing groups after an outdoor screening of First Reformed in Italy; the local film group sponsoring the screening is drawing attention for its anti-fascist stance.
Schrader compared the ongoing showdown to May 1968, when the riots across France resulted in directors protesting across the country and the cancellation of the Cannes Film Festival. “All of a sudden, we’re having a battle that we had over 50 years ago, when cinema was at the forefront of politics,” Schrader said. “That is cool.”

On Thursday, the group circulated a letter of solidarity with its mission signed by several luminaries of the international film community, including Francis Ford Coppola, Alfonso Cuarón, Keanu Reeves, Willem Dafoe, Guillermo del Toro, and Spike Lee.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#107 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:26 pm

After The Last Temptation of Christ, I guess Schrader and faith-based movies are a given when it comes to create these sadly violent reactions. But hey : I doubt Matteo Salvini will say anything about this.

therewillbeblus

#108 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:27 am

I have trouble with any denial of Toller's faith, questioned as not 'genuine' for the same reasons critics call out Laydu in Diary of a Country Priest as selfishly motivated. Who are we to judge his faith, and what are we basing this off of- some idea of priests as monks operating in a fourth dimension of nirvana-esque purity; superhumans incapable of reacting angrily towards others like Esther who pick at their scabs?

Toller is human and demonstrates a very mature presentation of someone committed to faith but grappling with doubt nonetheless, a complex spirituality far more realistic than the cookie-cutter ideals often put forth. Avoiding his own internal struggles dipping into self-pity and external concerns over the state of the world would be inhuman, and it takes a rather scary kind of person to do so (i.e. forfeiting humanity for an absolutist conception of faith). In some ways, those defining faith in these terms are arguing for a different sort of mentally ill priest, with a numbed type of antisocial personality, as ‘one of faith' which I reject as the only kind; or that there was another path for Toller to have taken given his history, which is itself a position of playing God and rejects the saying, "Nothing happens in God's world by mistake" translated as everything is the way it’s supposed to be because that’s the way it is; or that he was doomed altogether through determinism and shouldn't have taken up the cloth.. No option works here if we attempt to issue his merits of faith for him, in our language no less rather than God's; an enigmatic 'logic' (outside of corporeal 'reason') this film is, in my eyes, clearly arguing towards from the getgo, but especially with its fantastical third act.

I love the idea that Schrader views all the endings as "happy" because subjectively to Toller, they all would be, just as his faith is subjective and unmeasurable by us. Our belief that we need that 'truth' is as rigid as an audience judgment of his faith as 'true' or not, as if that operates on a binary plane. The ambiguity of the ending clears aside the waves for God and only God to judge this man, but the visualization of what we do get to see indicates that He (or however we define a higher power, that could easily be an energy of love, clearing conscience in Toller’s mind, body, and soul) seems to be granting some serenity, and that means everything, while the objective concreteness or our evaluations of his faith mean nothing.