Rifkin's Festival (Woody Allen, 2020)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Rifkin's Festival (Woody Allen, 2020)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Allen has teamed up again with Mediapro, who produced Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Midnight in Paris, for his next project, presumably set in Spain due to the funding and, well, you know

Dylan

Re: Untitled Woody Allen Film (Woody Allen, 2020)

#2 Post by Dylan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Interestingly, 2019 will be the first year since 1981 in which there won't be a new Woody Allen film released.

In an interview earlier this year Allen mentioned that he was writing American Blues, a long gestating project for him about Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet, but if this next film is indeed set in Spain I'm guessing it will be a different script and that American Blues has been filed away for now.

The Narrator Returns

#3 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Looks like the Hollywood Ending joke needs to be amended to “Thank God for the Spanish!”.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 am

Dylan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm
Interestingly, 2019 will be the first year since 1981 in which there won't be a new Woody Allen film released.
Are we sure A Rainy Day in New York is coming this year?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 am

Allen gave an interview recently that said he finished editing it and Amazon still planned to release it later this year, so sounds like

The Narrator Returns

#6 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Page Six is reporting that he's yet to find financing for this, and will be taking a break until he gets a backer.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 pm

There are two ways of looking at this in my eyes, and in no way am I trying to weigh in on the 'big question' around Allen by providing them here:

If he did what he was accused of doing, then he got away with making movies for three decades after doing something truly terrible. If he did not do what he was accused of doing, he still endured false accusations and made movies for three decades with few limitations into his 80s. Either way, I'm not playing sad clarinet for Allen if his funding has dried up. But I find it very hard to believe he can't find funding to make a new film, even if it means scaling down a bit or partially self-funding.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:08 pm

Someone will give him money to make the movie, this is a non-story

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 pm

It's the end of August and it doesn't look like his prior film isn't coming out this year (ever via Amazon?) so I think you might be overly confident about another one getting made, but I agree that it is very strange to think that no one will fund it.

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Rainy Day in New York was quietly awarded a PG-13 rating about six weeks ago, so it’s still planned for a theatrical release at some point.

Dylan

#11 Post by Dylan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 pm
Page Six is reporting that he's yet to find financing for this, and will be taking a break until he gets a backer.
I think it's important to note the very last line of the article:
A spokesman for Allen said, “None of this is true.”
Articles like this are speculation, regardless of "sources." We still don't know exactly what is going on between Allen and Amazon right now, nor do we know if this Spanish production is going to be his long-gestating American Blues (which, based on an interview with Allen from earlier this year, was originally set to be the now non-existent 2019 film) or if the 2020 film will be a different script. Though anything is possible, I personally don't buy what this article's "sources" are saying.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:05 am

Not sure how I've become such a defender of gossip, but the only thing sort of pulling me toward concern about this being true is - Allen isn't in the news right now in any substantive way, Page Six is in the midst of the Trump presidency among other things - why would they decide on a random week in August to just start throwing darts at the wall hoping they stick? Guessing that they wouldn't be reporting this if someone close to the situation weren't coming to them with it, and I'm not sure who has much to gain from lying to the press about Allen's foreign financing prospects. Though it almost reads as though it came from someone at Amazon.

AWA

Re: Woody Allen

#13 Post by AWA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:53 pm

While the new Auteur List discusses the past in the other forum section, it is worthwhile to note that location scouting for a new Woody film set to film this summer has started in Spain. Distribution will be by MediaPro (who made the deal last year) who has handled previous films of his, including most notably Vicky Cristina Barcelona. No word on if this is just a one off or multi picture deal with MediaPro, but based on some interviews last year, it does sound like more than one. But we'll see.

Obviously, this won't be Woody's planned next film, which was to be his life long dream of making a larger scale bio pic looking at the parallel career trajectories of New Orleans jazz greats Louis Armstrong and Sidney Bechet (to be titled American Blues), which Woody had stated he was planning on doing next when the deal with Amazon was still in place. He will likely be getting a hefty pay day from Amazon once the case goes to court (*if* it gets that far), and could likely use that to self finance that production down the road.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#14 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm

We already have a thread for it!

AWA

#15 Post by AWA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
We already have a thread for it!

My apologies - it has been 10 years since I was last here until a couple of weeks ago

AWA

#16 Post by AWA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Casting rumours beginning to swirl - with Isabelle Huppert, Javier Bardem, Alec Baldwin and Dianne Wiest looking likely. If that turns out to be true, I'd be very excited to see Woody work with Dianne Wiest again after all these years.

San Sebastian listed as a likely location.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#17 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:23 pm

I wonder if they're fits for the roles or he's just going down the list of people who've publicly defended him

knives

#18 Post by knives » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:45 pm

He's probably too aloof to know that.

Professor Wagstaff

#19 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 pm

That would be an unusually older cast for an Allen movie. Bardem is the youngest of those potential actors, and he'll turn 50 next month.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Selena Gomez is also being bandied about, but I honestly think all of these names are speculation at this point

AWA

#21 Post by AWA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:23 pm
I wonder if they're fits for the roles or he's just going down the list of people who've publicly defended him
The list of people who have defended him is quite a fair bit longer and more significant than the ones who suggested they wouldn't work with him again. Of course, doesn't generate nearly as much press / click bait.

AWA

#22 Post by AWA » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:19 am

Filming is set to begin in Spain in July for the 49th Woody Allen feature film.

Some clues this article provides us about Woody and the new film:

• Woody had offers to film last year but decided not to as the legal situation with Amazon began
• Woody also chose not film last year and instead "focused on writing his memoirs". (rumour I had been hearing was that he was working on a collection of short stories, which, knowing his work rate, may also be true).
• the new film is compared in style and theme to Midnight In Paris
• central protagonist of the film will be playing the fictional role of an internationally famous female American actress in Spain
• romantic comedy
• there will be no scenes shot in Barcelona

AWA

#24 Post by AWA » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Interesting cast, although slightly disappointed the original rumour of Dianne Wiest / Bardem / Baldwin didn't come true. That would've been the oldest central cast in at least two decades for a Woody film.

Still, looking forward to this with those choices.

Cremildo

#25 Post by Cremildo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Plot synopsis:
The film tells the story of a married American couple who go to the San Sebastian Film Festival. They get caught up in the magic of the festival, the beauty, and charm of Spain and the fantasy of movies. She has an affair with a brilliant French movie director, and he falls in love with a beautiful Spanish woman who lives there. It is a comedy-romance that resolves itself in a funny but romantic way.
Shooting is expected to last from July 10 until August 23.