Wonder Woman / Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty Jenkins, 2017/20)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

Re: Wonder Woman / Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty Jenkins, 2017/20)

#176 Post by barryconvex » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:27 am

I don't know if it's been said yet but welcome to the forum and great ID/moniker bottles. You can't go wrong with a Pogues reference in any area of day to day online life.

bottlesofsmoke

#177 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 am

barryconvex wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:27 am
I don't know if it's been said yet but welcome to the forum and great ID/moniker bottles. You can't go wrong with a Pogues reference in any area of day to day online life.
Thanks! I’ve found it to be a great moniker because if you don’t know the song, (which most people in my age group sadly don’t) it could mean anything, so when asked, I can give some elaborately pretentious explanation of it as some deep metaphor. It’s kept me entertained, at least. And it’s a great song too!

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#178 Post by barryconvex » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:34 am

I swore when I first heard that song that I would someday own an all black racehorse like the one in The Black Stallion and name him after that song.

swo17

Wonder Woman 1984

#179 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 am

It's entirely possible that my enjoyment of superhero movies is just always inversely proportional to their popularity, but I liked this more than expected and here's why: First, this is a pretty corny movie, but it's corny in the same way the Christopher Reeve Superman movies were, which I count as a plus. Second, while it's a surprise that I was able to physically see any of the film, my eyes having permanently lodged in the back of my head upon first learning that Chris Pine was reprising his character from the first entry, I actually really appreciated how they handled this:
SpoilerShow
Instead of some lame convoluted sci-fi excuse, they went with a fantasy approach--the mere granting of a wish--and more importantly, there were high stakes associated with it--the creation of two villains by the same power, and the eventual reveal that the wish gradually weakened the recipient and would have to be renounced. This, and the sort of jarring slower pace during which the characters are learning all of this information, was easily the most satisfying element of the film, and made it instantly more vital for me than the first one, about which I remember nothing other than the fact that Chris Pine died and should therefore no longer appear in movies, either Wonder Woman-related or otherwise