Star Wars: The Force Awakens (J.J. Abrams, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Star Wars Films

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 pm

There's a completely[?] unsubstantiated rumor going around that Disney's going to try to go after former Industrial Light and Magic employee David Fincher with everything they've got to helm Episode VII.

The Narrator Returns

#2 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Oh sweet Jesus, a David Fincher-directed Star Wars would make me pass out. It's not gonna happen, but let me dream, damnit!

hearthesilence

#3 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 pm

I like Fincher, but considering what many think is the best film of the series (not to mention the only that I'm remotely interested in) and what I think are the franchise's strengths, I'd rather see them go with any of one these filmmakers:
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni25322149/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they took a gamble with Kershner...

knives

#4 Post by knives » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 pm

If only they could find a film maker of Kershner's strengths and personality I'd be very happy. Shockingly underrated despite the Star Wars cred.

matrixschmatrix

#5 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Cuaron seems like a more natural choice than Fincher, though either would get me off my ass to go see the thing- Cuaron made a good film out of a Harry Potter entry, I honestly can't imagine a better argument in favor of someone for taking over Star Wars. Fincher seems like he'd feel like he was working on Alien 3 all over again.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 pm

And see, I always considered that the worst of the Harry Potter films. That bus ride with the Rastafarian shrunken head thing... *shudder*

matrixschmatrix

#7 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 pm

That bit sucked, but it's one of the only Potter movies that actually tells a story that holds together and doesn't function primarily as a visual Cliffs Notes for the book- and I feel like clear organization and solid storytelling are what's most needed for a good Star Wars movie, and very much what Kirshner's entry did best.

Also, Cuaron made the really smart decision to put everyone in street clothes instead of wizard robes all the time, which the series stuck with from then on, because the wizard robes looked stupid on screen. If Lucas had that kind of ability to see with a camera, the prequels wouldn't have been the garbage they were.

Alan Smithee

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (J.J. Abrams, 2015)

#8 Post by Alan Smithee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Everyone is reporting that JJ Abrams is the new director for sure.

pzadvance

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#9 Post by pzadvance » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 pm

For the record...

Star Wars Episode VII cast officially announced.

Glad to see Von Sydow in the mix. Overall it looks like a pretty impressive lineup, and try as I might to feign disinterest, my curiosity's been piqued...

Movie-Brat

#10 Post by Movie-Brat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm excited that Oscar Isaac's in it, he was fantastic in Inside Llweyn Davis and hey, Adam Driver's in it too; he was in the same film and I saw Domhnall Gleeson on About Time, another fantastic actor. I'm also happy that John Boyega is the lead as it's rare to see an African American lead in a big budget franchise so hopefully this film will lead everyone into more acting gigs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:05 pm

And you know who were exciting actors back in the late '90s? Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman...

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#12 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:14 pm

swo17 wrote:And you know who were exciting actors back in the late '90s? Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman...
And they did a pretty good job of polishing a turd, in my opinion. When I rewatched Episode II a while back, I was struck by how well Portman did in those stunningly terrible love scenes, even if it wasn't enough to compensate for the awful script and awful Christianson. I bet if you edited out Anakin and didn't understand English, those scenes would be quite moving!

Movie-Brat

#13 Post by Movie-Brat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 pm

swo17 wrote:And you know who were exciting actors back in the late '90s? Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman...
I wouldn't blame them for how the prequels turned out. Anyone would have suffered working on those.

Arrow

#14 Post by Arrow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:
I wouldn't blame them for how the prequels turned out. Anyone would have suffered working on those.
I don't think he's blaming them, I think he's saying good actors won't make the films good.

danieltiger

Re: The Star Wars Franchise

#16 Post by danieltiger » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 pm

The Force Awakens is such an unfortunately worded title.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:09 pm

A lot of people keep making fun of it but I don't see the problem. Or, rather, I don't think it's any less ridiculous than any other Star Wars title

Movie-Brat

#18 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:A lot of people keep making fun of it but I don't see the problem. Or, rather, I don't think it's any less ridiculous than any other Star Wars title
Apparently people forgot episode II was titled Attack of the Clones. You have that and The Force Awakens is the silly title. Such a pity.

Arrow

#19 Post by Arrow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:A lot of people keep making fun of it but I don't see the problem. Or, rather, I don't think it's any less ridiculous than any other Star Wars title
I'm used to The sound of Empire and Jedi but I suspect they would've come off a bit awkward when they were initially released.

danieltiger

#20 Post by danieltiger » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:58 pm

I totally agree that Star Wars titles aren't great, but I was judging this on its own merits. Certainly all of the prequels are terribly named, but that' a pretty low bar to set for yourself in terms of bettering them. That said I think "The Empire Strikes Back" is a significantly less awkward name. It's clearly subjective but Awakens just feels super weird to me, a bit like "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" as opposed to "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull Kingdom."

Mr Sausage

#21 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Has a nice pulpy ring to it, much like the titles of the original trilogy.

colinr0380

#22 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:01 am

They also couldn't use "The Force Unleashed" as that had been used for some of the Star Wars video games. I guess we should expect some mix ups between the two similarly worded titles.

R0lf

#23 Post by R0lf » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:50 am

Mr Sausage wrote:Has a nice pulpy ring to it
STAR WARS: THE SECRET INVASION THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T STOP

warren oates

#24 Post by warren oates » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:48 pm

I agree with Sausage about the pulpiness but also with danieltiger about the clunkiness. I'm going to date myself by admitting this but I'm old enough to remember when Return of the Jedi was still supposed to be called Revenge of the Jedi (wait, what?! Jedi don't seek "revenge"?! Sith, on the other hand...). This feels similarly off, not just in its look and sound but in how it honors the mythology. Why would the Force need to "awaken"? Is the Force ever really dormant?
Obi-Wan wrote:The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.
Does that sound like something that could fall asleep, even metaphorically?

captveg

#25 Post by captveg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:48 pm

I'd argue that having just one Force using Jedi in the entire Galaxy for 30 years could be considered relatively dormant.