Star Wars: The Force Awakens (J.J. Abrams, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Star Wars

#226 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:21 am

domino harvey wrote:Can you really blame Disney? They literally bought the rights to printing money and the extra effort extended to actually make the movie good will only continue to pay off from now til the Earth dies out
I've never had as much of a problem with stuff like double dipping, included digital copies, and so on as many people on this or other forums, I just found it quaint that you indicated that there was a singular special edition around the corner [even if that wasn't your intention] as if that won't be the case every 6 months or so. \:D/

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#227 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 am

I was just thinking more for people like me, who love the film but can wait if there will be a better edition in the near future, that it's a good thing this release isn't too tempting out of the gate.

Ribs

#228 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:32 am

Most obviously I imagine come September/October there'll be a release in UHD at the very least.

Trees

#229 Post by Trees » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 am

When you really look at the deal Disney made with Lucas, I think it will go down as perhaps one of the best deals ever made. In terms of the motion-picture and entertainment industries, it's probably the very best and most profitable deal ever made. As Domino said, Disney is basically minting money from Star Wars. And the possibilities are endless in terms of sequels, spinoffs, TV, theme parks, video games, virtual reality, and on and on.

I guess the Marvel deal wasn't too bad either!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#230 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:34 am

There's a full length doc on the making of the film that will be on the next release, probably coming out around the time of Rogue One. And that's when the 3D disc is coming out

cdnchris
Site Admin

#231 Post by cdnchris » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:All of the covers suck (only good art went to the DVD release), good thing we already know a special edition will be coming out at the end of the year and this one can be safely skipped
I'm guessing the "regular" Blu ray actually has the poster art under the slip, like the DVD, which is cool with me. I can just toss the slip.

Roger Ryan

#232 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:There's a full length doc on the making of the film that will be on the next release, probably coming out around the time of Rogue One. And that's when the 3D disc is coming out
The trailer promises that a full-length doc will be on this release - is there another one (that we know of) that will appear later?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#233 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Huh, sounds like I got that mixed up then!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#234 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:36 pm

But the special edition will include a new hat!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#235 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:14 pm

The easiest film to like in years, the new Star Wars did away with any of the unwanted politics and reverence of the first six films to expose a naked, shivering reboot that is sincerely hoping that we enjoy it. Normally I'd see that as bait, but in this case - I mean, how can you not love this? The acting is impeccable - when Daisy Ridley's performance is the weakest in your film you know you're on the right track - and the script is shockingly coherent and enjoyable, which is a tough concept in the sort of self-serious galaxy that Star Wars occupies. Adam Driver is a standout in particular. Unless someone tells me otherwise, his choice to punch himself in his wound until it stops nagging him never failed to be jaw-scrapingly uncomfortable, and was an ultra-eccentric move for a gigantic, expensive film like this. I loved this movie, and I hope other people take the time out to see it, despite it being a huge bomb at the box office.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#236 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:25 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:when Daisy Ridley's performance is the weakest in your film you know you're on the right track

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#237 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:32 pm

She's really enjoyable, reserved -- but Boyega's flopsweat, Driver's nerve, Ford's ease, and Isaac's Isaac are all notable achievements that struck me more than Ridley's steely toughness. These are four great performances, so it's all part of an excellent stew as far as I'm concerned.

Putting this sentence out lest I create unintentional controversy: Daisy Ridley, and her character, are fantastic in the seventh Star Wars installment.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#238 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:36 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Putting this sentence out lest I create unintentional controversy: Daisy Ridley, and her character, are fantastic in the seventh Star Wars installment.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#239 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:37 pm

I feel like I'm stuck in a tumblr

Trees

#240 Post by Trees » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:38 pm

domino harvey wrote: Image
She kinda sorta stole the show, though Driver more than held his own.

btw: possible new favorite GIF discovered

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#241 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Love the character and the portrayal, but I thought there were more unique choices made by the male leads in this film and I hope that the rest of my film criticism on this forum justifies my not aggressively aligning myself with an actress' performance in this case, when I think they're largely underappreciated in most cases

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#242 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:58 pm

mfunk9786 wrote: his choice to punch himself in his wound until it stops nagging him never failed to be jaw-scrapingly uncomfortable,
I saw somewhere, maybe even in this thread, that this is his way of generating pain to help channel the dark side.

Trees

#243 Post by Trees » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:09 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Love the character and the portrayal, but I thought there were more unique choices made by the male leads in this film and I hope that the rest of my film criticism on this forum justifies my not aggressively aligning myself with an actress' performance in this case, when I think they're largely underappreciated in most cases
I love the scene when Maz Kanata tells her that no one is coming back to meet her on Jakku. Acting doesn't get much better than that.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#244 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Daisy Ridley is fantastic. That should be evidence of how great everyone is in this film.

Trees

#245 Post by Trees » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:16 pm

Yeah, Boyega really nailed his scenes. Some of the best humor in the film comes from him.

Black Hat

#246 Post by Black Hat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:05 pm

There's the expression 'those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it'. Culturally, with this latest Star Wars, it seems what makes us happiest is repeating history — escaping within nostalgia for things past. It makes me wonder how George Lucas feels about all this? The realization all fans wanted was a slightly rearranged version of a movie he already made. I'm by no means a Star Wars obsessive, but I don't think the last trilogy was as bad as everyone made it out to be. My biggest issue with those films was Hayden Christensen turning to the dark side. You didn't feel rewarded by his character's trajectory, it was more 'Hey Anakin wanna come to the dark side? I'll give ya a quarter.' Similarly with this one where was Adam Driver's struggle?
SpoilerShow
The biggest deal of this film was supposed to be killing Han, but I doubt anyone who has seen this walked away saying much of anything about it. I've been astonished by the reaction to this. Star Wars is arguably the most beloved/popular franchise of them all. Han Solo has either been the #1 or 1a most beloved/popular character who gets killed by his son and there's barely been a peep about it. I think this is more than it being handled clumsily. I think it says something about the franchise and us — everything's disposable.

The other thing you see about Driver's character is he's somewhat inept, but yet he has the the fortitude to kill his own dad? I get it that's not what these films are supposed to be. They're supposed to be fast moving, action, action, action, payoff and resolution, but I suspect a lot of this film's flaws were masked by the interesting fresh faces of Daisy Ridley & John Boyega.
The expectations set on Lucas' last trio of films were impossible to reach. Now with the bar low — it's much more easier to bring something to a higher level than to keep it there — Abrams gives the people what they want and he's 'restored the franchise'. Good for him, you have to give him credit for having great timing and understanding the audience. You can't knock the hustle, but that's exactly it - Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a hustle we very much want to participate in, even if what it's costing us is moving forward.

Trees

#247 Post by Trees » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:18 pm

I think the reputation of the franchise was badly damaged after the prequels. They had to do some repair work with this film and set things back on an even keel, which I think they accomplished. The opening line of the film says it all: "This will begin to make things right."

Black Hat

#248 Post by Black Hat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:26 pm

It's hard for me to buy that argument when RoS killed at the box office and was received pretty well.

Trees

#249 Post by Trees » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Phantom Menace is one of the most mocked films in recent memory. A lot of damage was done to a singularly beloved franchise.

matrixschmatrix

#250 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:20 am

SpoilerShow
I'm assuming the reason nobody wanted to talk about Han dying is the fear of 'spoiling' it for people- which I get, but at some point it starts killing discussion of a movie. That said, I thought it worked quite well for a beat which a.) was essentially a repetition Obi Wan dying in the first movie and b.) felt like it might have been the only way to convince Ford (who famously wanted his character to die in RotJ) to come back to the franchise- you question both Driver's motivation and his fortitude in committing a heinous act, but I think his wobbly conscience is precisely why the moment works. He is a child (a much better realization of the idea of a troubled, angry teen than Christiansen) who is following a dark path because he doesn't really know what he's doing, but also out of some as yet unspecified rage at his father. He's put into a moment of crisis, and I think the beat is really interesting- clearly, Han could have killed him, and it is meant to feel as though that is what Driver is requesting, as he is asking his father to help him do what must be done. When he kills Han, there's an ambiguity, but it does seem as though Han may (again, reprising Obi Wan's self sacrifice) allowed himself to die to ease the unbearable torment his son was feeling; he could not win him back, and he could not kill him, so he helps his son to resolve himself. In doing so, he seems to gain Driver's respect, which is a beat that I suspect will be followed upon in the forthcoming movies.

I do think the degree to which the movie followed the blueprint of Star Wars got in its way- the whole Starkiller Base thing seemed halfassed and incompletely thought out, both in terms of power level and devastation caused- but that was a beat that I thought drew upon the originals in a way that enriched it, rather than making it feel like a retread.