Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Jason Woliner, 2020)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lemmy Caution

Re: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Jason Woliner, 2020)

#101 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri May 21, 2021 5:48 pm

The whole system of medical residents toiling for a handful of years underpaid and overworked while larded with huge student debt is such a terrible system just crying out for reform. Sure they later usually make rather large salaries after they get through such hazing. But I'd much rather have a well-rested doctor making decisions than one working 70 hours a week and squeezing in brief naps. I have a number of reform proposals, largely borrowing from Euro-models, but this isn't really the right place for such.

therewillbeblus

Re: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Jason Woliner, 2020)

#102 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 21, 2021 6:02 pm

As social workers, we literally pay to work for free for multiple years at nearly full-time internships, only to then come out with debt making under 50k even in expensive metropolitan areas unless you immediately go into private outpatient therapy. I imagine teachers have a similar bag. Most of my colleagues are pretty worn out and jaded on the profession by the time of graduation, and I have yet to meet a person who didn't either need to live with their parents or get significant financial support to live independently when you can't hold a regular job during that time since internships are inflexible around hours of operation for this free labor. The system is fucked for many service providers, including doctors, though I'm not sure they're at the top of the list. They certainly endure the exhaustion for longer and put in way more hours though.