White Noise (Noah Baumbach, 2022)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Black Hat

Re: White Noise (Noah Baumbach, 2022)

#26 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Man that's exquisite hyperbole, but I don't see the bar for that being that high even if I agreed. I don't find his assholes really all that interesting. I think they're nerds who managed to achieve something but never really got over being a nerd and are taking it out on everyone, which basically has been the dominant sensibility of American artists from the last 20, 30 years. To take the asshole part one step further while it doesn't exist in film so much it dominates television space, the whole garbage that's replaced cinema thanks to this stupid recap culture called 'prestige tv'.

TWB - I'm on the other side. I see his stuff as excusing the negative traits by using his talent for narrative and as DH pointed out, witty dialogue to disguise, if not romanticize, the bullshit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Would it really be a domino harvey post without the world's greatest hyperbole of all time?

Black Hat

#28 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:14 pm

ha... it doesn't usually go in a positive direction tho.... some of your sentiments in the lombard thread were especially hilarious

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:15 pm

Interesting, to use a few examples, I think he exposes the worst in Greenberg's titular character in the last act, as the kind of anti-linear development found in real life, and Margot at the Wedding's characters are certainly in no way absolved of their very jarring and harmful defects. Even in Marriage Story, which is one of my least favorite works of his, he establishes his surrogate as the protagonist with seemingly warranted self-pity and then turns on himself to show how his selfish narrative clouded any other perspective and drove his self-preserving yet harmful actions. As domino says he uses a skilled methodology to construct such narcissistic tunnel vision as the presentation in the film's earlier sections before emerging from it and granting us the same process of peripheral awareness, though it's not to absolve himself or us and more to critique such self-delusions.

knives

#30 Post by knives » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:20 pm

Isn’t Marriage Story at least in part about the lie of Manhattan exceptionalism?

The Narrator Returns

#31 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:35 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:15 pm
Interesting, to use a few examples, I think he exposes the worst in Greenberg's titular character in the last act, as the kind of anti-linear development found in real life, and Margot at the Wedding's characters are certainly in no way absolved of their very jarring and harmful defects. Even in Marriage Story, which is one of my least favorite works of his, he establishes his surrogate as the protagonist with seemingly warranted self-pity and then turns on himself to show how his selfish narrative clouded any other perspective and drove his self-preserving yet harmful actions. As domino says he uses a skilled methodology to construct such narcissistic tunnel vision as the presentation in the film's earlier sections before emerging from it and granting us the same process of peripheral awareness, though it's not to absolve himself or us and more to critique such self-delusions.
Even the Gerwig collaborations, which are sweeter than the preceding Baumbachs in a way that I know turns some people here off (I think they're both terrific, Mistress America is my favorite thing Baumbach's ever done), are pretty unflinching in how they study seemingly charming people digging themselves into holes they may never be able to fully get out of. To go off Black Hat's complaint about Baumbach's "witty dialogue" disguising his characters' faults, Frances Ha is about a character who thinks that a well-timed witty line will make everything work out, when in reality it doesn't and it often just gets her in deeper trouble than before.

Black Hat

#32 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Maybe it's because I've seen Ben Stiller be ornery at Film Forum one too many times but I just couldn't deal with Greenberg. Haven't seen Margot and I think Knives in a sense is right but like with so much garbage that's been romanticized about NYC through popular culture I saw it the other way both within my initial response along and under the influence with that of my peer group who nearly all loved it. After completely relating to it the first time around I really turned on Marriage Story upon second viewing after a divorcee friend of mine, who I thought for sure would love it, tore it apart in between.

Black Hat

#33 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:47 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:35 pm
To go off Black Hat's complaint about Baumbach's "witty dialogue" disguising his characters' faults, Frances Ha is about a character who thinks that a well-timed witty line will make everything work out, when in reality it doesn't and it often just gets her in deeper trouble than before.
Yeah because she's a moron who thinks being an annoying moron is cute and quirky, art house Broad City. I covered my feelings on Frances Ha in the appropriate thread, I don't think there's a film of recent memory I found more offensive.

Black Hat

#34 Post by Black Hat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:50 pm

By offensive I don't mean inaccurate, it was certainly true to a certain type of reality. My problem with that movie is that all the banality was treated with reverence, something to celebrate and that was what offended me.

therewillbeblus

#35 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 pm

Emily Mortimer and Alessandro Nivola’s children (May, 11 and Sam, 17) cast as the kids of Driver and Gerwig to round out the family

The Narrator Returns

#36 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Don Cheadle and Alessandro Nivola himself have joined the cast, and the cinematographer is Michael Seresin, whose recent niche of shooting visual effects-heavy movies makes me think this will be doing a lot with the Airborne Toxic Event. Or maybe Baumbach just really loves Alan Parker movies.

therewillbeblus

#37 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 pm

André 3000 joins the cast

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#38 Post by Omensetter » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:03 am

It's also tentatively titled Wheat Germ according to Pitchfork which, as a massive DeLillo fan, I don't prefer in the slightest, but whatever: There was no reason to expect a mega-budgeted adaptation, and I had no idea Baumbach was even interested in postmodernism based on all his previous films. He's in a position to take a risk; I can only hope it works out as well as P.T. Anderson's Inherent Vice or Cronenberg's Cosmopolis.

https://pitchfork.com/news/andre-3000-j ... r-netflix/

ianthemovie

#39 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:07 pm

Really hoping that Wheat Germ is just a working title and they find a way to go back to White Noise. Is it possible it's a rights issue? I can't see why, assuming Baumbach is truly a fan of the novel, he would want to change it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:43 pm

It sounds like P4k is confusing the filming title with the actual title. I’d be truly shocked if they changed the title considering that alone is brand recognition

Ribs

#41 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:01 pm

We all remember our discussions of Baumbach’s 2017 film, Yeh Din Da Kissa (The Account of a Day).

The Narrator Returns

#42 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Baumbach fired Michael Seresin off this and replaced him with 45 Years/Vox Lux DP Lol Crawley.

cantinflas

#43 Post by cantinflas » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:27 pm

Harvest

#44 Post by Harvest » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm

Opening NYFF. The first film to ever open both Venice and NYFF. If Baumbach has pulled this off, then IMO it's time to start entertaining the possibility that he may be the best American writer/director of his generation. Anderson(s), Tarantino, etc. may have gotten a quicker start but slow and steady usually wins the race, right? Certainly he''ll be on the biggest hot streak.

hearthesilence

#45 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Harvest wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Opening NYFF. The first film to ever open both Venice and NYFF. If Baumbach has pulled this off, then IMO it's time to start entertaining the possibility that he may be the best American writer/director of his generation. Anderson(s), Tarantino, etc. may have gotten a quicker start but slow and steady usually wins the race, right? Certainly he''ll be on the biggest hot streak.

I like Baumbach, but I don't think I'd be making that judgment based on two festival openings, even if it is unprecedented. Didn't Barton Fink set a record for most Cannes prizes or something to that effect? I like the Coens, but I wouldn't say they were the best of their generation after that (or even deem that film to be their best for that reason).

Harvest

#46 Post by Harvest » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:34 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm
I like Baumbach, but I don't think I'd be making that judgment based on two festival openings, even if it is unprecedented. Didn't Barton Fink set a record for most Cannes prizes or something to that effect? I like the Coens, but I wouldn't say they were the best of their generation after that (or even deem that film to be their best for that reason).
I meant if he pulls off the film and continues his streak. Not because it's opening both Venice and NYFF (though that's a hopeful sign that this is something special).

hearthesilence

#47 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:47 pm

I'm sure it's good - it's a good sign that the Venice festival liked it to help dispel any notion of bias from the New York critics.

I don't want to knock him, because I usually enjoy his films and I do think they're good, but he's never floored me the way others have. I don't think a prolific output makes the case either - it certainly means something to make that many films of that quality, but the scale of quality still beats the scale of quantity, and I'd put the work of Orson Welles, Robert Bresson, Carl Dreyer and F.W. Murnau well beyond others even though their surviving film output is pretty modest in size.

Harvest

#48 Post by Harvest » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:52 am

hearthesilence

#49 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:59 am

Is that Cheadle and Driver? I have to say, they've aged them convincingly - I can see both growing into those appearances in real life.

Harvest

#50 Post by Harvest » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:06 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:59 am
Is that Cheadle and Driver? I have to say, they've aged them convincingly - I can see both growing into those appearances in real life.
Yes.

Here's the teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxC8GPRntM

And the poster: