The Big Lebowski (Joel & Ethan Coen, 1998)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
kaujot

#101 Post by kaujot » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 am

denti alligator wrote:
The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
Wrong AR!
Can you give an example that illustrates the difference between 2.35:1 and the 1.85:1 that the film was originally shot in? I can't picture the difference, mainly because I've no eye for that sort of thing.

Jeff

#102 Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:00 am

kaujot wrote:
denti alligator wrote:
The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
Wrong AR!
Can you give an example that illustrates the difference between 2.35:1 and the 1.85:1 that the film was originally shot in? I can't picture the difference, mainly because I've no eye for that sort of thing.
I'm sure that the 2.35 listing is just a misprint on the press release. Lebowski was shot at 1.37 and framed with the intention of matting it at 1.85. You can read more about how that is done here, kaujot. 2.35 usually involves a completely different process including an anamorphic lens which squeezes a wider image on to standard 35mm film, then unsqueezes it for projection. You can read about that process here. The only way to create a 2.35 image from Lebowski would be to matte out way too much of the top and bottom of the frame.

Person

#103 Post by Person » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Jeff wrote:The only way to create a 2.35 image from Lebowski would be to matte out way too much of the top and bottom of the frame.
And that is precisely what Super 35 can be used for, ie. the gate of the 35mm camera is uses the larger 1.33:1 silent aperture and the viewfinder has markings for 2.39:1 (or 1.85) and the film is pulled down at four perforations per frame. A tighter (zoomed-in) 1.33:1 framing is used for TV and a 2.39:1 frame is extracted from the 1.33:1 original and is converted to an anamorphic 4-perforation 35mm internegative and then an interpositive is made from than, as is a dupe neg that is used for making release prints.

There's another shooting method which is more common now, where you shoot with spherical in 3-perf 35mm at 1.79:1 with the option of composing for 2.39:1. This way, you can should for 25% longer due to each frame using less space (3 perfs) than Super 35 (4 perfs).

But Lebowski was shot with spherical lenses on 4-perf 35mm at 1.37:1 and was composed for 1.85:1 theatrical presentation.

I have spoken.

kaujot

#104 Post by kaujot » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Jeff wrote:I'm sure that the 2.35 listing is just a misprint on the press release. Lebowski was shot at 1.37 and framed with the intention of matting it at 1.85. You can read more about how that is done here, kaujot. 2.35 usually involves a completely different process including an anamorphic lens which squeezes a wider image on to standard 35mm film, then unsqueezes it for projection. You can read about that process here. The only way to create a 2.35 image from Lebowski would be to matte out way too much of the top and bottom of the frame.
Many thanks, Jeff.

Jeff

#105 Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:00 am

Here is the press release for the new edition
THE DUDE IS BACK ON SEPTEMBER 9, 2008 IN AN ALL-NEW, MUST-OWN DVD WITH EXCLUSIVE NEW BONUS FEATURES

THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

ALSO AVAILABLE IN LIMITED EDITION COLLECTIBLE “BOWLING BALL” PACKAGING

Universal City, August 11, 2008 – The quirky comedy that became a worldwide cultural phenomenon debuts in a brand new commemorative DVD set when The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition arrives in stores September 9, 2008 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. A deliciously twisted comedy-thriller starring Jeff Bridges (Iron Man), John Goodman (Speed Racer), Steve Buscemi (I Now Pronounce You Chuck &Larry) and Julianne Moore (Children of Men), The Big Lebowski 10th Anniversary Edition will bowl over long time fans and neophytes alike with its hilariously freewheeling plot and exclusive new bonus features,including retrospective documentaries, an interactive map and an in-depth look at the phenomenon known as the Lebowski Fest.

Also available in an individually numbered, limited edition, two-disc set encased in specially designed “bowling ball” packaging, The Big Lebowski 10th Anniversary Edition will take audiences deeper than ever before into the upside down world of “The Dude.” In 1998, Academy Award® winners Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country for Old Men, Fargo) created a comic film noir about a lovably addled slacker who is mistaken for a multimillionaire businessman. In the decade since The Big Lebowski, the film has continued to grow in popularity, achieving cult status around the world.

“The Big Lebowski has been an unprecedented fan favorite since it made its theatrical debut a decade ago and its popularity shows no signs of slowing down,” says Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “The film’s devoted followers are among the most avid and loyal we’ve ever seen. This special 10th Anniversary Edition is both a tribute and a response to their unbelievable support for the film.”

ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES
The Big Lebowski 10th Anniversary Edition features several all-new bonus features, including:

• The Dude’s Life: In this all new bonus feature, Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro take a look back at their performances and how their delivery of the Coen brothers’ dialog became classic movie lines.

• The Dude Abides: The Big Lebowski Ten Years Later: A never-before-seen conversation with the cast about the film’s decade-long reign as a cult classic.

• The Lebowski Fest: An Achiever’s Story: An in-depth look at the annual Lebowski Fest, a celebration of The Dude and his world, attended by thousands each year.

• Flying Carpets & Bowling Pin Dreams: The Dream Sequences of The Dude: A look at some ofthe Dude’s trippiest fantasies so fans can learn for the first time how these innovative scenes were created.

• Interactive Map: Take a tour of the locations of The Big Lebowski, then and now.

• Jeff Bridges’ Photo Book: For more than 30 years, Jeff Bridges has been snapping pictures on movie sets. The accomplished photographer presents a portfolio of shots taken on the set of The Big Lebowski.

Additional bonus features include:

• The Making of The Big Lebowski

• Introduction by Mortimer Young: Mortimer Young, a practitioner of “non-uptight” film preservation showcases his mind-blowing restoration of the infamous “toe scene.”

• Production Notes

• Original Theatrical Trailer

SAN FRANCISCO LEBOWSKI FEST
Since 2002, thousands of fans have flocked to Lebowski Fests around the country, celebrating all things Dude-like. The next Lebowski Fest will take place in San Francisco on September 5 and 6, 2008. Featuring a screening of the film, unlimited bowling, trivia contests, 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DVD giveaways and more, fans of this iconic film can join their fellow “Achievers” in enjoying The Dude’s beloved White Russians, sarsaparillas, and oat sodas in this unforgettable weekend adventure. For more information on the Lebowski Fest, please visit: :::...Lebowski Fest...:::.

SYNOPSIS
From the Academy Award® winning Coen Brothers comes The Big Lebowski - the hilariously quirky comedythriller about bowling, avant-garde art, nihilistic Austrians, and a guy named…The Dude. Jeff “The Dude” Lebowski doesn’t want any drama in his life…heck, he can’t even be bothered with a job. But, in a case of mistaken identity, a couple of thugs break into his place and steal his rug (you gotta understand, that rug really tied the room together). Now, The Dude must embark on a quest with his crazy friends to make things right and get that rug back!

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
DVD
Street Date: September 9, 2008
Pre-Order Close: August 5, 2008
Copyright: 2008 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Price: $19.98 SRP (10th Anniversary Edition) $34.98 SRP (10th Anniversary Limited Edition Gift Set)
Selection Number: 61105455 (10th Anniversary Edition); 61105454 SRP (10th Anniversary Limited Edition Gift Set)
Running Time: 1 hour 58 minutes
Layers: Dual
Rating: R – pervasive strong language, drug content, sexuality and brief violence

Technical Info:
• Sound: English/French: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0
• Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French

Fletch F. Fletch

#106 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 am

Digital Bits review of the new edition.

Finch

#107 Post by Finch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Extras sound better than expected. Disappointed but not entirely surprised that Universal couldn't be bothered to improve image and audio over the previous releases (I'm still hoping they haven't just ported over the Masterpiece editions for the upcoming Legacy discs of Vertigo, Rear Window and Psycho).

Fletch F. Fletch

#108 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Rolling Stone magazine has a nice 10-year anniversary retrospective over at their site complete with new interviews with Jeff Bridges, Steve Buscemi, John Goodman and T-Bone Burnett who tells a funny story about getting the rights to the Townes Van Zandt cover of the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," which plays over the film's closing credits.
"[Former Stones manager] Allen Klein owns the rights to it," Burnett says. "He wanted $150,000." Burnett begged Klein to just come down and watch an early cut of Lebowski. "It got to the part where the Dude says, 'I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!' Klein stands up and says, 'That's it, you can have the song!' That was beautiful."

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#109 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:33 pm

I think I will wait to buy the 11th Anniversary edition.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#110 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 pm

I doubt there will ever be another release of this film on SDDVD. If the Coens didn't do a commentary for this edition, they never will.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#111 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm fairly certain Universal is contractually obligated to rerelease this film at least once every 2 or 3 years.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#112 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:02 am

GaryC

#113 Post by GaryC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:26 am

I'm the longtime Coens fan - ever since I saw Blood Simple in the mid-80s - who didn't like The Big Lebowski. Sometime I think there must be something wrong with me, as I did enjoy Intolerable Cruelty. :)

Well, one day when I get a chance I'll watch Lebowski again and maybe I'll change my mind. Or maybe I won't.

Finch

#114 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:42 am

Colour me surprised that the AE actually looks marginally sharper than the Collectors Edition: I certainly didn't notice it when I sampled a few scenes last week. Agree with Gary that the new extras make it worthwhile but have sympathy for those who triple-dipped on this film. It shouldn't take a studio three attempts at producing a definitive release, especially when other equally deserving films are left rotting in the archives (ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW etc).

Fletch F. Fletch

#115 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:26 pm

In addition to John Turturro and Steve Buscemi being down for a sequel, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore are game too.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#116 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 pm

What, would Buscemi be in flashbacks? This is the worst idea ever.

Antoine Doinel

#117 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Agreed. I'm not even that much of a fan of the film to begin with, but a sequel is an awful idea. That said, I doubt it'll go anywhere as the number of Coen projects that have bit the dust probably equals or surpasses their actual output.

Tom Hagen

#118 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:23 pm

I am an unabashed Lebowski cultist, but a sequel is a truly horrendous idea.

As the Stranger says at the beginning of the film, "Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. "

Even if we couldn't leave our brush with Sadaam in the early '90s where it belonged, surely we can have the foresight to leave the Dude there. End of story.

Fletch F. Fletch

#119 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:47 am

I do like the idea of a Jesus spin-off film. That could have potential. Altho, perhaps too much of a good thing. What made Turturro's character so memorable in Lebowski is that he made the most of his brief screen time.

Sloper

Re: The Big Lebowski: Collector's Edition

#120 Post by Sloper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:49 am

I don't have anything like the time to actually read all of this, but it's quite impressive: Two Gentlemen of Lebowski; the film as it might have been written by Shakespeare.

A sample:
Adam Bertocci wrote:[They insert his head into the commode]

BLANCHE
What dreadful noise of waters in thine ears! Thou hast cooled thine head; think now upon drier matters.

WOO
Speak now on ducats else again we’ll thee duckest; whither the money, Lebowski?

THE KNAVE
Faith, it awaits down there someplace; prithee let me glimpse again.

WOO
What, thou rash egg! Thus will we drown thine exclamations.

[They again insert his head into the commode]

BLANCHE
Trifle not with the fury of two desperate men. Long has thy wife sealed a bond with Jaques Treehorn; as blood is to blood, surely thou owest to Jaques Treehorn in recompense.

WOO
Rise, and speak wisely, man—but hark;
I see thy rug, as woven i’the Orient,
A treasure from abroad. I like it not.
I’ll stain it thus; ever thus to deadbeats.

[He stains the rug]

THE KNAVE
Sir, prithee nay!

BLANCHE
Now thou seest what happens, Lebowski, when the agreements of honourable business stand compromised. If thou wouldst treat money as water, flowing as the gentle rain from heaven, why, then thou knowest water begets water; it will be a watery grave your rug, drowned in the weeping brook. Pray remember, Lebowski.

THE KNAVE
Thou err’st; no man calls me Lebowski. Yet thou art man; neither spirit damned nor wandering shadow, thou art solid flesh, man of woman born. Hear rightly, man!—for thou hast got the wrong man. I am the Knave, man; Knave in nature as in name.

BLANCHE
Thy name is Lebowski. Thy wife is Bonnie.

THE KNAVE
Zounds, man. Look at these unworthiest hands; no gaudy gold profanes my little hand. I have no honour to contain the ring. I am a bachelor in a wilderness. Behold this place; are these the towers where one may glimpse Geoffrey, the married man? Is this a court where mistresses of common sense are hid? Not for me to hang my bugle in an invisible baldric, sir; I am loath to take a wife, or she to take me until men be made of some other mettle than earth. Hark, the seat of my commode be arisen!

kaujot

#121 Post by kaujot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm

It's already being produced in several cities. Or rather, it's in the middle of being produced. New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and a few others, I think.

flyonthewall2983

#122 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Having been teased with a HD DVD release in 2007 and a 10th Anniversary Edition DVD in 2008, Lebowski fans will finally get to see the Dude on Blu-ray when Universal releases The Big Lebowski: Limited Edition on August 16th. The studio announced that the cult comedy has received a new remaster for the Blu-ray transfer and will be presented in its theatrical 1:85:1 aspect ratio. New special features will join those previously released on the 2-disc 10th anniversary DVD to make this the most comprehensive collection of supplemental material on the film to date.

The disc itself will be housed in a 28-page digibook featuring production stills highlighted by many of the movie's timeless quotes. Also within the book's pages is an interview with Jeff Dowd, the man is who is credited as the Coen Brothers' real-life inspiration for "The Dude".

The film's classic soundtrack will be presented in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 and a digital copy will accompany the Blu-ray disc. It is not known at this time whether the special features outlined below will be presented in high definition.

New Special Features:
Scene Companion: A picture in picture mode that features cast and crew interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and more during key scenes.
Mark It Dude: On-screen counter that keeps track of all the "F-Bombs", "Dudes" and "Dude-isms" in the film.
The Music of The Big Lebowski: Instantly identifies the songs heard while watching the film, and allows the creation of custom playlists.
Worthy Adversaries- What's My Line Trivia: Trivia that tests your Lebowski knowledge by finishing lines of dialogue during the film. Play as Walter or The Dude or in two-player mode against friends.
U-CONTROL
pocket BLU
BD-LIVE
Mobile-To-Go
uHEAR

Additional Special Features:
Jeff Bridges Photo Book: Exclusive shots taken on the set of The Big Lebowski by Jeff Bridges himself.
The Dude's Life: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro take a look back at their performances and their delivery of the Coen Brothers' dialogue that became classic movie lines.
The Dude Abides- The Big Lebowski Ten Years Later: A conversation with the cast about the film's cult classic status.
Flying Carpets and Bowling Pin Dreams- The Dream Sequences of the Dude: Featurette on the making of the surreal sequences in the film.
The Making of The Big Lebowski
The Lebowski Fest- An Achiever's Story: An in-depth look at the popular Lebowski Festival, formed by the legion of fans in honor of the film.
An Introduction: Featuring Mortimer Young.
Photo Gallery
Interactive Map
Universal has made clear that this is a limited time only edition, but it is unknown how long it will be available after release. Pre-orders should be available on Amazon shortly.

Finch

#123 Post by Finch » Thu May 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Tom Hagen

#124 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu May 26, 2011 4:48 pm

I think this will be the fourth time I buy this movie, outdoing my prior records for the Kubricks, Raging Bull, and Apocalypse Now.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#125 Post by Brian C » Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 pm

I'll grab the Heat Blu sometime soon, and it will be my fifth: VHS, widescreen VHS, DVD, SE DVD, and Blu. Madness, really, since I wouldn't even say it's a top-tier favorite of mine. Not anymore, anyway.