Grindhouse (Tarantino/Rodriguez, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
rs98762001

#26 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:26 pm

n w wrote:It pains me to defend Tarantino, but if you think Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs are mediocre then I don't think you know what mediocre means.
I think his filmography overall is mediocre. Certainly Reservoir Dogs is a good film. Pulp Fiction has its moments as well. But I found Jackie Brown, for all its "maturity" by Tarantino standards, really quite dull, and the Kill Bill films empty and pointless. And at the Kubrickian pace of 4 films over a 15-year period (not including his execrable FOUR ROOMS segment), you'd expect something more substantial. Plenty of directors have made two good movies in the last decade and a half.

toiletduck!

#27 Post by toiletduck! » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:47 am

rs98762001 wrote:And at the Kubrickian pace of 4 films over a 15-year period (not including his execrable FOUR ROOMS segment), you'd expect something more substantial. Plenty of directors have made two good movies in the last decade and a half.
Well, do you want good or do you want good AND substantial? And if it's the latter, why in the hell are you looking to Tarantino for it?

-Toilet Dcuk

Antoine Doinel

#28 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:29 am

More casting etc news from JoBlo:
As we reported the other day (see video HERE), Quentin Tarantino is currently shooting his end of the GRINDHOUSE movie called DEATH PROOF in Austin, Texas right now. Robert Rodriguez already shot his one-hour section called PLANET TERROR, and both films will be joined by some fake ads and trailers in between. Today, Tarantino announced three more additions to his cast, which stars Kurt Russell, Rosario Dawson and Rose McGowan, amongst others, namely Michael Bacall (from TV's "CSI" fame), newcomer Omar Doom (not to be mistaken with our very own Omar Aviles) and HOSTEL director Eli Roth, who was already rumored to be filming one of the "fake trailers" for the films' interlude. Roth, who is supposed to be filming HOSTEL 2 in Europe around this same time, has cameo'd in his own films before, and most recently, in his other buddy Richard Kelly's SOUTHLAND TALES. Tarantino started shooting his film on August 21st, and we all expect the film to be released on April 6th, 2007. Can't wait.

Len

#29 Post by Len » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Anyone else wonder how come both of those posters look so awful? Grindhouse films used to have those cool, totally tasteless (badly) painted posters with skulls and blood and guns and zombies and whatnot, with the film's name written in huge letters (preferably bleeding or something like that) along with questionable "praise".

Both of those Grindhouse posters look like they've been designed by a professional. Way too tasteful and boring.

As for the films themselves, I've supremely low expectations. Still, I guess they'll be better than Kill Bill, which admittedly isn't really saying anything.

Lino

#30 Post by Lino » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:13 am

Fletch F. Fletch

#31 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:20 am

That's an insane trailer!

I love the intentionally grainy look of the "film stock." And does Danny Trejo look like a badass or what? heh! Very cool... can't wait for this sucker.

Cobalt60

#32 Post by Cobalt60 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:45 am

Len wrote:Both of those Grindhouse posters look like they've been designed by a professional. Way too tasteful and boring.
I agree about the posters, they ought to get Frazetta to design a poster or 2.

Len

#33 Post by Len » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:17 am

Wow, this actually does look really good! And it's even got MICHAEL BIEHN. That's cool. Had a discussion with some friends earlier about our favorite film heroes when in like fifth grade or something, and we all agreed that thanks to Terminator 1 & Aliens, Michael Biehn was definitely number one back then (Arnie was #2 ofcourse, no one liked Stallone, but Chuck Norris was also in high regard).

Gotta love the cast in this.

Fletch F. Fletch

#34 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Len wrote:Wow, this actually does look really good! And it's even got MICHAEL BIEHN.
Yeah, it's weird how his career never took off as it should have. I thought he also played a fantastically intense bad guy in The Abyss as well (The scene where it is revealed that he's cutting his arm repeated due to stress is a particuarly chilling moment in that film.). Nice to see Rodriguez giving him some work!

DrewReiber

#35 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:53 pm

That trailer is basically an *extremely* edited-down version the preview footage they showed at San Diego. They dropped a number of scenes and cut most of the violence, gore and action from the trailer. Machete seems pretty intact from what I remember, though. It amazes he me how good this looks when I know it's a micro-version of a micro-trailer.

Cinesimilitude

#36 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:21 pm

I'm excited. I hope it's 3 hours total atleast.

John Cope

#37 Post by John Cope » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:27 pm

Usually I hate this kind of thing but that's got to be one of the coolest damn trailers I've ever seen. I didn't realize it was going to be that over the top. What a blast!

Antoine Doinel

#38 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:00 pm

WOW.

Two words: Danny Trejo.

Two more words: Naveen Andrews.

But unlike, SncDthMnky, I hope both directors don't let their films run more than 90 min. at the most. I'd love to see two adrenaline fuelled, overstuffed, ridiculously over-the-top 75 min. films.

Cinesimilitude

#39 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:10 am

I guess more than 3 hours would be pretty ridiculous. If they follow this formula, 75 + 75 + 30 (4 or 5 fake trailers maybe, cause keep in mind, trailers back then were long.) = 180 minutes, It would be perfect.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorencain

#40 Post by jorencain » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:35 am

If that were the case, it could become too much of a good thing. As much as I like John Waters, after a 90 minute movie of his, I can go a long time without seeing anything else by him. I don't think I could handle a 2 hr.+ film from him.

I think I'll have the same response to "Grindhouse". I am REALLY looking forward to this movie, but I just hope that they know when to say when.

Fletch F. Fletch

#41 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:07 am

I don't think that will be a problem for Rodriguez who knows how to keep his films short and sweet. I think that the overindulgence will come from Tarantino -- Kill Bill anyone?

DrewReiber

#42 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:59 am

Even with 110 pages of shooting script, we know that Rodriguez's edits will make it far shorter. Being that Rodriguez is shooting and helping to produce Death Proof, I think it's fair to assume he might help out in bringing the 130 pages down to something reasonable. 75 minutes each? I don't know, but one thing is possible... they may use the "missing reel" gag to eliminate 20 minutes from each film, thereby adding incentive to the home video releases.

Cinesimilitude

#43 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:46 am

I just watched From Dusk Till Dawn and wrote a 1000 word review on it for my english class. I am now really really excited for this project. It's been 4 years sice I sat through FDTD, and I loved it more tonight than I have in the past.

Fletch F. Fletch

#44 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:15 pm

Entertainment Weekly has got some new pics up on their site.

DrewReiber

#45 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:07 am

Eli Roth posted on his myspace page that he finished his fake trailer for Grindhouse with 2 days of production. He also posted some minor details about it. I'm sorry I don't have a link handy, as I went looking to provide one and I couldn't find it.

colinr0380

#46 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:26 am

Fletch F. Fletch

#47 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Official Site

Teaser trailer

The footage from Tarantino's film looks pretty cool with Kurt Russell looking (and sounding) particularly bad-ass. Nice to see him playing a nasty bad guy for a change.

Cinesimilitude

#48 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:21 pm

the HD looks amazing, despite the film being intentionally scratched up. I can't wait to own this on HD-DVD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:35 am

It's hard to not get excited about well made trash, I can't wait

exte

#50 Post by exte » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:54 am

It seems Tarantino has gotten his confidence back. I mean after Pulp Fiction he must've thought, aw shit. You know? The man seemed to go into Pulp Fiction with the utmost confidence. After it was received universally and he even got an Oscar for it, who knows how much it shook him to try and repeat it. Hopefully now, with him going back to the elements of cinema he loves, maybe he'll create another masterwork... Anyway, I'm pumped.