Cassandra's Dream (Woody Allen, 2008)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
The Curious Sofa

Re:

#151 Post by The Curious Sofa » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:51 pm

reaky wrote:
Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm

As for British films set in the US with ropey accents - CARRY ON COWBOY?
The infamous No Orchids for Miss Blandish is a New York set gangster movie, shot in the UK where the cast were struggling with the accents. There even is a Carry On connection, Sid James has a small role as a barman.

How rude!

Re: Cassandra's Dream (Woody Allen, 2008)

#152 Post by How rude! » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 pm

I recall finishing this film with the verdict it was the absolute worst film I had seen. I remember asking myself how the actors allowed themselves to do it that way. Surely they must have voiced objections to Allen. Apart from the accents, I hated the film. Worse than Crash (Paul Haggis). Worse than Small time Crooks. I gave up on Woody Allen after seeing it. Not sure what it says, but the only Woody Allen films I have enjoyed are Deconstructing Harry, the short he made for the New York omnibus, and to a lesser degree, Sweet and Lowdown.

Michael B, you don't need to watch it if you have sampled the accents, and read the negative reviews. It really is as bad as many have described.

A truly awful film in almost every way.

low

#153 Post by low » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 pm

I'm not sure scalding hot takes qualify you to make those kinds of preclusive recommendations (a decade late at that).

therewillbeblus

#154 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:07 am

I fully anticipated posts taking issue with any number of claims I made when bumping this thread to argue why this stands out as the optimal WA moral drama, but not one so devoid of specificity

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#155 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:30 am

How rude! wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 pm
Not sure what it says, but the only Woody Allen films I have enjoyed are Deconstructing Harry, the short he made for the New York omnibus, and to a lesser degree, Sweet and Lowdown.
I know who it does say something about. I’ll give you a hint, it’s not Woody Allen.

MichaelB

#156 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:26 am

The Curious Sofa wrote:
reaky wrote:
Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm

As for British films set in the US with ropey accents - CARRY ON COWBOY?
The infamous No Orchids for Miss Blandish is a New York set gangster movie, shot in the UK where the cast were struggling with the accents. There even is a Carry On connection, Sid James has a small role as a barman.
Not only that, but one of his lines anticipates his Carry On career with uncanny accuracy.

I created the subtitles for the Indicator version and ended up having to transcribe them by ear because the official rightsholder-supplied transcript was frankly the most useless one I’ve ever encountered - when the transcriber wasn’t guessing incorrectly they were simply ignoring the line altogether. But I’m pretty happy with how they turned out.