Red Road (Andrea Arnold, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
foggy eyes

#1 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:07 am

This appears to have been overlooked here, so I just wanted to give it a little push. I think that it'll be appearing on US screens next month. It's not perfect, but I believe Arnold's debut might be the most exciting British film we've had for quite a while. Superb performances, sound design and photography.

An excellent post-Cannes Sight & Sound article.

Also, a DVD has already been released in the UK by Verve Pictures. It's a great transfer, and has been afforded a DVD Times review.

Derek Estes

#2 Post by Derek Estes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:29 am

This was the best film I saw at Sundance. Enormously moving. I can't wait for the companion films to be released, it is a very interesting concept, using the same actors and characters in completely different stories. I am shocked at how little this film has been discussed. I highly recommend this film.

backstreetsbackalright

#3 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:44 am

When I first heard about this movie, I immediately thought of this excellent work of Jill Magid's. I haven't seen Red Road yet though, so maybe they're somewhat different animals...

Nothing

#4 Post by Nothing » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:09 am

The ending is a cop-out, rendering the whole fairly pointless, and the direction is standard television fare. Thus - the most exciting British film for some time according to the middle-brow British press and a Cannes jury filled with likeminded British hams.

foggy eyes

#5 Post by foggy eyes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:37 am

Nothing, initially I too was underwhelmed by the ending. It does feel like an unwelcome bit of sweetness and light (especially after the main body of the film has been so uncompromising). But, it's a moral decision on the part of Jackie that is both understandable and honest. And standard television fare direction? If only!

Lemmy Caution

#6 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:50 am

Ah, good to hear something about this film. I've been eyeballing the Dvd, but so far have held off. I'll have to get it now. Is her Oscar winning short Wasp on this Dvd or available elsewhere?

kieslowski

#7 Post by kieslowski » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:30 am

I don't think Wasp is on the UK DVD, or indeed on any DVD to my knowledge, but you can watch it at the Channel 4 website, here.

Lemmy Caution

#8 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:24 pm

Very much appreciated K.
I'm just about 5 minutes into Wasp so far, but it's really resonating with me. I'm 2/3rds of the way through Andrea Ashworth's autobiographical novel, Once in a House on Fire, which takes place in the late 70's and early 80's in Manchester. And it's the same underclass and issues, separated by 25 years and not much else. Ashworth's book is about growing up as the eldest of three girls with a single Mum, who tries to make ends meet and find a halfway decent guy. No catfights in the book, but instead just sad domestic violence at the hands of drunken, childish men. Sigh.

As for Wasp, when the guy in the car comes off as a leering good-for-nothing lout after just a brief exchange, you just can't help feeling sad that this actually represents hope and something better for the single Mom. Disavowing your kids is pretty harsh, etc., ...

Lemmy Caution

#9 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Wasp is basically Sherrybaby with kids.
Pretty powerful, with a nice ending. I liked the editing and some of the shots (like the family trooping across the footbridge over the highway). Hope to have a chance to see it under better conditions.

Btw, you'd think a good way to promote sales of a little known film would be to include the director's Oscar-winning short and to trumpet that fact on the cover. It's not as though her 25 minute film really has any other market or prospect of release.

Lemmy Caution

#10 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:05 am

Watched Red Road and was rather disappointed.
I quickly grew tired of watching action occur on small security monitors, alternating with reaction shots of the female protag watching those same monitors. The film and characters had a subdued and somewhat ugly look, which fit in with the Glasgow slum locale, but was not appealing or interesting to watch.

I was also a little underwhelmed with the ending, but can see how it works and fits in. My problem was instead with the major plot twist slightly before the ending, which explains the relationship between the two main characters. For me, it strained credibility and was too manipulative. The film did manage to create a feeling of unease and impending dread at times, mostly through sound effects. But overall, I much preferred the short Wasp, which had memorable images and moments, unlike Red Road.

Lemmy Caution

#11 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:20 am

It struck me that Red Road shares a number of features with Cache. Both feature a plot based around video/surveillance, a mysterious relationship stemming from a past event, and a shocking action/revelation. Neither film appealed to me.

oldsheperd

Re: Red Road (Andrea Arnold, 2006)

#12 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 am

Finally got around to watching this last night. Pretty good flick and one scene gave me a boner! Thumbs up!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#13 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:02 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Pretty good flick and one scene gave me a boner! Thumbs up!
Was that one the dog taking a dump on the pavement? I can't think of anything else.

oldsheperd

#14 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm

That scene gave you a stiffy too?

I enjoyed this film immensely. I was afraid at times that it would cross the line into Todd Solondz territory but was happy that it skirted the edges and didn't go overboard, hence no scenes of a dog licking a kid's ejaculate off a balcony guardrail.

Numero Trois

Re:

#15 Post by Numero Trois » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:My problem was instead with the major plot twist slightly before the ending, which explains the relationship between the two main characters. For me, it strained credibility and was too manipulative. The film did manage to create a feeling of unease and impending dread at times, mostly through sound effects.
Yes, the plot twist is a major flaw to the film. It's a major cheat that strains all credulousness in the main character's actions. It especially makes the sex scene all the more questionable. Maybe it would have worked better if Arnold had laid all cards on the table from the outset. I guess that's one of the pitfalls when you rely on a single plot twist to convey the entirety of a character's motivation.

Besides the dense atmosphere, the film's biggest strength is the verve that Arnold & crew brought to the film. There's a certain confident swagger to the way it was put together that really impressed me. It's too bad that in the end the sharp camera work is let down by the film's poorly thought out narrative.

colinr0380

#16 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:59 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Finally got around to watching this last night. Pretty good flick and one scene gave me a boner! Thumbs up!
Very succinct! And it makes me realise how much time I wasted typing up stuff about the themes in Raging Sun, Raging Sky when I should have just said the same thing and been done with it much quicker! (Though the downside of this style of reviewing is that it would likely be inappropriate for children's films)

I'm still trying to work up the enthusiasm to actually watch either Red Road or Fish Tank, so I can't really comment in depth on any of Andrea Arnold's work yet.

oldsheperd

#17 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Out of all the themes and ideas that I could have thought about I've been obsessed with one:
SpoilerShow
Was the Dude really eating her out or was it all pantomime?

bdsweeney

#18 Post by bdsweeney » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Out of all the themes and ideas that I could have thought about I've been obsessed with one:
SpoilerShow
Was the Dude really eating her out or was it all pantomime?
I can't belive I'm replying to this ... but here goes:

I read in an interview that the two actors are old friends and have known each for a long time ... so for said scene
SpoilerShow
half a grapefruit was placed between Kate Dickie's legs and it was that from which Tony Curran ate and licked.

colinr0380

#19 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Five of the remaining six Red Road tower blocks in Glasgow, the setting for Andrea Arnold's film, are to be demolished as part of the 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony!

EDIT: And now the plans have been cancelled!