1161 WALL•E

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Antoine Doinel

Re: WALL·E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)

#126 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:55 am

Here's Burn-E the short that is being included on the Wall-E DVD. There are spoilers for those who haven't yet seen the film.

Tom Hagen

#127 Post by Tom Hagen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:43 am

Nice to see Pixar pack another great 2001 homage into that short. That really made me smile.

Grand Illusion

#128 Post by Grand Illusion » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 am

Just finished watching this on DVD, and while I should let it settle, it's a very clear contender for the best film of the year.

knives

#129 Post by knives » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 am

Definitely, this, DK, Synechdoche, NY, and Boy A are really the only standouts for me so far this year.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#130 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:08 pm

A friend of mine brought over the single-disc DVD of this the other day, and the packaging was just awful. Obviously they were going for something green and futuristic looking, in keeping with the film, but it's really just a thin cardboard slot that holds the disc in. Does anyone have the 3-disc set, or the Blu-ray, that can describing the packaging for those?

Narshty

#131 Post by Narshty » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 pm

The opening 30 minutes of this, as well as the journey through space and the fire extinguisher ballet, were simply transcendent. More than once it had me on the verge of tears simply for being so wonderful. There were so many images thrown up that had never occurred to me before. I'm not going to use the word 'masterpiece', but I will contend that 'visionary' is not inappropriate - Wall-E trying to dance along to Hello, Dolly! improvising a hubcap for a hat to impress EVE would be nightmarishly embarrassing in any other context, but here it's completely heartbreaking and genuinely poetic. This has to be the all-time greatest example of footage being used from an earlier film.

(Once Pixar's now-familiar high voltage chase finale turned up it became less special, but it's still gratifying to see a proper story with a real structure.)

exte

#132 Post by exte » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Narshty wrote:it's still gratifying to see a proper story with a real structure.)
Explain that. I'm real curious to hear more...

Narshty

#133 Post by Narshty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:38 am

Is that a way of saying you thought there was no story to tell? It's hardly an epic plot, but the way things were revealed (Wall-E trundling around, activating "exposition" holograms) was pleasing in and of itself. The fact the last 30 minutes was executed with enough leisurely moments for character interludes was like seeing an endangered species. I thought it was a very confidently told story, all the more so for the eccentricity of its construction.

exte

#134 Post by exte » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:20 pm

No I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm totally into structure and I thought the first thirty minutes were perfect and loved how it literally skyrocketed into the second act. I thought Act three was a bit weird, not very typically structured. And just thinking about the movie in general, I'm surprised they never offered a new solution on how humans 700 years later deal with garbage. If anything, they throw it far out into space. Not very sci-fi... What then are they going to do with all that garbage at home? Anyway, I'm pleased all in all.

Tom Hagen

#135 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:18 pm

The 3-disc packaging is the same absurdity times x 3.

Grand Illusion

#136 Post by Grand Illusion » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Structurally I thought it was interesting
SpoilerShow
that the protagonist basically takes a secondary role to EVE's actions in the third act. It worked for me though, probably due to the little moments where WALL-E saves the day, like holding up the plant storage device.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#137 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Grand Illusion wrote:Structurally I thought it was interesting
SpoilerShow
that the protagonist basically takes a secondary role to EVE's actions in the third act. It worked for me though, probably due to the little moments where WALL-E saves the day, like holding up the plant storage device.
I watched the deleted scenes the other day, in which Stanton revealed that
SpoilerShow
it was actually going to be the other way around originally (i.e. EVE gets hurt badly and WALL-E has to save the day, and her.) He said it came to him during a test screening, that EVE needed to realize her new "directive" and that she needed to take on the role that she did in the end for their love story to work like it does. Personally, I think this is a great strength of the film, as it makes EVE a stronger character, and shows that they both had to fight to be together, as opposed to the cliche of just rewarding the hero with the girl in the end.
Tom Hagen wrote:The 3-disc packaging is the same absurdity times x 3.
I won't hold out much hope for the Blu-ray packaging then. Though they say they are supposed to be more scratch resistant...

brendanjc

#138 Post by brendanjc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:05 pm

I have the 3-disc Blu-ray version, it comes in blue plastic case similar to all the standard ones, except it's twice as wide to accomodate all 3 discs and has a cardboard slipcover like the other Pixar Blu-ray releases. It's similar to the Blade Runner packaging, I had no issues with it.

Tom Hagen

#139 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Random observation: though this is still my favorite film of 2008, the presence of a four-year-old in my home and the resulting ubiquity of all things WALL·E is considerably damping my continued enthusiasm.

hearthesilence

#141 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:00 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 pm
I watched the deleted scenes the other day, in which Stanton revealed that
SpoilerShow
it was actually going to be the other way around originally (i.e. EVE gets hurt badly and WALL-E has to save the day, and her.) He said it came to him during a test screening, that EVE needed to realize her new "directive" and that she needed to take on the role that she did in the end for their love story to work like it does. Personally, I think this is a great strength of the film, as it makes EVE a stronger character, and shows that they both had to fight to be together, as opposed to the cliche of just rewarding the hero with the girl in the end.
I didn't see the actual deleted scene until now. (It's also here for those who don't have the DVD or BD.)

It was surprising to see what's more or less a finished, fully-animated deleted scene, and it's also a credit to PIXAR's thoroughness that some of the minor elements of the scene work much better in the original context (Wall-E's resemblance to the giant Wall-A's which sets up their interaction, Wall-E's formal introduction to M-O.) But ultimately they take a backseat to the main point of the scene, and making the switch is a significant improvement, one that grows substantially given the way it impacts the rest of the film.

Ribs

#142 Post by Ribs » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:34 am

hearthesilence

#143 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:42 am

holy shit, a Disney film has joined the collection

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#144 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:46 am

I mean, I understand why Criterion would do this, but what does Disney get out of it?

Blutarsky

#145 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:47 am

While Wall-E is definitely on my top choices of Pixar movies to deserve a Criterion release (here is hoping for Monsters Inc. in the future), the Instagram release noted their “first collaboration.” Hoping this means we will get more classic Pixar films, as well as Disney films from their golden age (Fantasia being at the top of my list).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 1161 WALL·E

#146 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:51 am

No Presto?

cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: 1161 WALL·E

#147 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:58 am

I got this e-mail and thought someone messed up something. Love this one, but odd it's out of nowhere. I wonder if Criterion was trying to work out something for Fox titles and Disney is seeing how releasing titles through them works out. And the e-mail it was the "first" in a way that suggested more.

onedimension

Re: 1161 WALL•E

#148 Post by onedimension » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:04 pm

I like Pixar movies, but a Criterion Wall-E's a little cringe. Miyazaki, Snow White, Fantasia is probably as far as I'd go.. maybe Dumbo. The brands are very different. Are they going to add a Criterion ride to Disney World

The Masked Marvel

#149 Post by The Masked Marvel » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:47 am
While Wall-E is definitely on my top choices of Pixar movies to deserve a Criterion release (here is hoping for Monsters Inc. in the future), the Instagram release noted their “first collaboration.” Hoping this means we will get more classic Pixar films, as well as Disney films from their golden age (Fantasia being at the top of my list).
Crossing my fingers for future collections of Oswald/Mickey/Silly Symphonies shorts. No idea as to their status when it comes to restoration, though.

Does this mean we might see The Straight Story eventually?

captveg

#150 Post by captveg » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:04 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:46 am
I mean, I understand why Criterion would do this, but what does Disney get out of it?
Some $$ for a catalog title on a medium (physical discs) they no longer care for all that much.