Back to the Future Trilogy (Robert Zemeckis, 1985-1990)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Back to the Future Trilogy (Robert Zemeckis, 1985-1990)

#176 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:34 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:57 pm
I don't know if it's necessarily just the absence of collaborating with Gale, but Zemeckis' post-Death Becomes Her films definitely lack the
ingenuity and entertainment value of the incredible run of films and episodic television he had from 1980 through 1992.
The drive which led them to create BTTF must have been largely gone, and thus whatever creative spark did too. Gale has not done much since then, except rightfully rake in the money the franchise has created. I think Zemeckis has done a couple really good films since then, but I won't argue he was probably doing his best work in the 80's.

Would be interesting to see what they could come up with now.

whaleallright

#177 Post by whaleallright » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 pm

The DeLorean thing is among other things just a good gag, since those cars were already famous for being beautiful, expensive, and very impractical. At least that's how I took the joke in 1985!

Re. Gale, if I shared copyright on one of the most renumerative media franchises of the past 50 years, I'd probably chill out and rest on my laurels, too! But yeah the two Bobs working together created some real magic that neither of them have been able to approach since. (That said, Roger Rabbit is a Gale-less masterpiece.) It's probably worth noting that they labored over the BttF screenplay for years (even as they were making other films), and although that approach doesn't always pay off (it can just as easily make a screenplay seem over-labored), it certainly did here.

I agree that the ending of the first film is brilliant — like so much else in the film, it's just so damned thorough in repeating and resolving various motifs from earlier in the film, to the extent that the mise-en-scène is profuse with little throwaway gags that still fit into the film's overall structure. There's just no way to my mind to read it as a critique (as opposed to an instantiation) of materialism -- without being almost parodicaly willful (in a Cahiers-interpreting-Young Mr. Lincoln sort of way). The "point" of the ending is basically that Lorraine and George (and even Marty, probably) are better people and the various material objects (the truck, the nicer house, etc.) are somehow just rewards for—or a natural result of—their improved selves.

flyonthewall2983

#178 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:13 pm

The primary gag is that in 1955 it would have looked like something out of a comic book, like the one the barn kid shows Old Man Peabody. One of the really genius moves was to make the time machine a car, as I don't think I would have had the obsession I did with it (and just cars themselves when I was really young, I didn't have comic books I read the Du Pont Registry) if the climax took place at a nuclear facility as originally planned. The sequences at the mall, and at the clock tower pop in large part due to that monochromatic lemon going very fast.
whaleallright wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 pm
The "point" of the ending is basically that Lorraine and George (and even Marty, probably) are better people and the various material objects (the truck, the nicer house, etc.) are somehow just rewards for—or a natural result of—their improved selves.
I'd say that Biff is probably better off too, owning his own car-detailing business. He's reduced to kind of a goofy caricature at the end of the first film, but I like that the old Biff flares up a bit at the end of the third when he sees Marty's cowboy getup without recognizing him first.

Rick Overton shared a funny story about how he incorporated one of Biff's mannerisms on The Informant!, and told Tom Wilson as much when they were on set.

One of the unanswered questions is how the shift from the family he knew, to the better life he finds in 1985, is how it affects Marty's memories of essentially what was a different life. I read that this was one of Eric Stoltz's questions about the script, and it's not too farfetched. While it's comparatively an inferior movie, the end of Peter Hyams' Timecop kind of touches on this too when Jean-Claude Van Damme's character comes back is a little bit more disoriented (in a comedic relief kind of way) to the future he designed by kickboxing his past into shape.

flyonthewall2983

#179 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 am
Can you believe both the original film and Purple Rose of Cairo, two high concept comedies that have withstood the test of time, lost the Best Screenplay Oscar to Witness of all things? I mean, that’s an okay movie and all, but who in the world thinks it merits the Oscar for its screenplay over either of those?
Beverly Hills Cop was nominated for it's screenplay just the year before, which is more egregious considering how much the movie hangs on Eddie Murphy's charm.

CJG

#180 Post by CJG » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:51 am

I don't have a copy of it here, but doesn't Syd Field's Screenplay cite Witness as an example of an exemplary screenplay and analyze its structure?

beamish14

#181 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 am
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 am
Can you believe both the original film and Purple Rose of Cairo, two high concept comedies that have withstood the test of time, lost the Best Screenplay Oscar to Witness of all things? I mean, that’s an okay movie and all, but who in the world thinks it merits the Oscar for its screenplay over either of those?
Beverly Hills Cop was nominated for it's screenplay just the year before, which is more egregious considering how much the movie hangs on Eddie Murphy's charm.

I always cite Beverly Hills Cop as the reason why Oscar noms, particularly in the writing categories, are an absolute farce. Try watching
that film again; it's an absolute mess that doesn't work at all. It's like Less Than Zero; a great soundtrack with no film to hang itself on.

Yes, I believe Field's book does use Witness as a case study.

flyonthewall2983

#182 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:33 am

Out October 20th
Universal City, California, July 27, 2020 – Great Scott! In 1985, Director Robert Zemeckis, Executive Producer Steven Spielberg and Producer/Screenwriter Bob Gale embarked on a three-part journey through time that broke box-office records worldwide and catapulted BACK TO THE FUTURE into one of the most beloved trilogies in motion picture history. Universal Pictures Home Entertainment celebrates the 35th Anniversary of the groundbreaking first film with BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY available on 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever on October 20, 2020 - just in time to celebrate “Back to the Future Day” on October 21! This collection is loaded with bonus material including a bonus disc that comes with over an hour of brand-new content such as rare audition footage from Hollywood stars Ben Stiller, Kyra Sedgwick, Jon Cryer, Billy Zane, Peter DeLuise and C. Thomas Howell, a tour of the film’s props and memorabilia hosted by co-writer/producer Bob Gale, a sneak peek at the new musical show, and a special episode of the popular YouTube Series “Could You Survive The Movies?” Join Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox), Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) and a time traveling DeLorean for the adventure of a lifetime as they travel to the past, present and future, setting off a time-shattering chain reaction that disrupts the space-time continuum!

BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY will include all three movies in collectible discbook packaging plus a bonus disc including all-new bonus content. For the first time, the past, present and future collide in eye-popping Ultra HD resolution for a time-traveling celebration. New 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray™ deliver the highest quality picture, more colors than ever before, and immersive, multi-dimensional sound. From filmmakers Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale, this unforgettable 35th anniversary collection features hours of bonus features and is an unrivaled trilogy that stands the test of time making this a must-own for everyone’s movie library. All three BACK TO THE FUTURE films will also be available on 4K Ultra HD digitally for the first time ever and BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY will also be available on DVD.

Three premium collections will be available at select retailers for a limited time only:

BACK TO THE FUTURE 35TH ANNIVERSARY TRILOGY LIMITED EDITION GIFT SET (4K UHD): Includes exclusive levitating Hoverboard replica (Amazon Exclusive)
BACK TO THE FUTURE 35TH ANNIVERSARY TRILOGY LIMITED EDITION GIFT SET (Blu-ray™): Includes exclusive levitating Hoverboard replica (Target Exclusive)
BACK TO THE FUTURE 35TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION TRILOGY (4K UHD): Includes three newly designed steelbooks (Best Buy Exclusive)
For more information on these exclusives, please visit the individual retailer’s stores and websites.

BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY will be available on 4K Ultra HD combo pack, which includes 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™, & Digital Code and on Blu-ray™ which includes the Blu-ray™ & Digital Code.

4K Ultra HD is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HD features the combination of 4K resolution for four times sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio delivering a multidimensional sound experience.

BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY 4K Ultra HD is available with HDR10+™, providing a premium HDR picture quality. HDR10+ transforms your movie watching experience with incredible brightness and contrast for each scene, delivering brighter brights and deepest darks.
Blu-ray™ unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
The Movies Anywhere Digital App simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. Movies Anywhere is available only in the United States.

BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY bonus DISC FEATURES ON BLU-RAY™:

An Alternate Future: Lost Audition Tapes (NEW) - Get a glimpse of the BACK TO THE FUTURE that could have been with rare audition footage featuring now-famous celebrities.
Ben Stiller
Kyra Sedgwick
Jon Cryer
Billy Zane
Peter DeLuise
C. Thomas Howell
The Hollywood Museum Goes BACK TO THE FUTURE (NEW) - Join Co-writer/Producer Bob Gale on an intimate tour of an exhaustive exhibit of the films’ props and memorabilia.
BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL Behind the Scenes (NEW) - Get a sneak peek at the new musical show including a Q&A with the cast and creative team plus two new song recordings.
Cast and Creative Q&A
Original Songs
Gotta Start Somewhere
Put Your Mind To It
Could You Survive The Movies? BACK TO THE FUTURE (NEW) - Explore the magic and science of BACK TO THE FUTURE and find out which laws of physics were actually violated in this special episode of the popular YouTube series.
2015 Message from Doc Brown
DOC BROWN SAVES THE WORLD!
OUTATIME: Restoring the DeLorean
Looking BACK TO THE FUTURE
The Script
Casting Marty McFly
Christopher Lloyd Reflects on Doc Brown
The DeLorean Time Machine
Building Hill Valley
Prepping for the "Johnny B. Goode" Scene
The Score
Rushing the Cut
The Legacy
BACK TO THE FUTURE: The Animated Series
Brothers (Season 1, Episode 1)
Mac the Black (Season 2, Episode 1)
2015 Commercials
JAWS 19 Trailer
Hoverboard Commercial

BACK TO THE FUTURE bonus FEATURES ON 4K Ultra Hd & BLU-RAY™:

Deleted Scenes (Commentary by Producer Bob Gale available)
Peanut Brittle
"Pinch Me"
Doc's Personal Belongings
"She's Cheating"
Darth Vader (Extended Version)
"Hit Me George"
"You Got a Permit?"
The Phone Booth
Tales from THE FUTURE: In the Beginning...
Tales from THE FUTURE: Time to Go
Tales from THE FUTURE: Keeping Time
Archival Featurettes
The Making of BACK TO THE FUTURE
Making the Trilogy: Chapter One
BACK TO THE FUTURE Night
Michael J. Fox Q&A
How He Got the Role
The Character of Doc
Working on a Film and TV Series at the Same Time
Shooting BACK TO THE FUTURE II and III Together
DeLoreans
Special FX and Stunts
The Appeal of BACK TO THE FUTURE
Shooting BACK TO THE FUTURE
Behind the Scenes
Original Makeup Tests
Outtakes
Nuclear Test Site Sequence (Commentary by Producer Bob Gale available)
Photo Galleries*
Production Art
Storyboards
Behind-the-Scenes Photographs
Marketing Materials
Character Portraits
Huey Lewis and the News "The Power of Love" Music Video
Theatrical Teaser Trailer
Join Team Fox
Q&A Commentary with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale
Feature Commentary with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
*Only on the Blu-ray™ disc

BACK TO THE FUTURE II bonus FEATURES ON 4K Ultra Hd & BLU-RAY™:

Deleted Scenes (Commentary by Producer Bob Gale available)
Old Terry and Old Biff
"Dad's Home" (Extended Version)
Pizza Scene
Jennifer Faints (Extended Version)
Old Biff Vanishes from Car
Burned Out High School
Marty Meets Dave
Tales from THE FUTURE: Time Flies
The Physics of BACK TO THE FUTURE with Dr. Michio Kaku
Archival Featurettes
The Making of BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
Making the Trilogy: Chapter Two
Behind the Scenes
Outtakes
Production Design
Storyboarding
Designing the DeLorean
Designing Time Travel
Hoverboard Test
Evolution of Visual Effects Shots
Photo Galleries*
Production Art
Storyboards
Marketing Materials
Character Portraits
Theatrical Trailer
*Only on the Blu-ray™ disc

BACK TO THE FUTURE III bonus FEATURES ON 4K Ultra Hd & BLU-RAY™:

Deleted Scene (Commentary by Producer Bob Gale available)
The Tannen Gang Kills Marshal Strickland
Tales from THE FUTURE: Third Time's the Charm [FEATURED BONUS]
Tales from THE FUTURE: The Test of Time [FEATURED BONUS]
Archival Featurettes
The Making of BACK TO THE FUTURE Part III
Making the Trilogy: Chapter Three
The Secrets of the BACK TO THE FUTURE Trilogy
Behind the Scenes
Outtakes
Designing the Town of Hill Valley
Designing the Campaign
Photo Galleries*
Production Art
Storyboards
Marketing Materials
Character Portraits
ZZ Top "Doubleback" Music Video
FAQs About the Trilogy
Theatrical Trailer
BACK TO THE FUTURE: The Ride
Lobby Monitor
The Ride

TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K ULTRA HD:
Street Date: October 20, 2020
Selection Number: 61212628 (US) / 61212662 (CDN)
Layers: BD-100
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.85:1 Widescreen
Rating: PG
Subtitles: English, French Canadian, Latin American Spanish
Video: 2160p UHD Dolby Vision/HDR10+/HDR 10
Sound: English Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 2.0 ; French European DTS Digital Surround 5.1 ; Latin American Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Run Time:
Back to the Future – 01:55:57
Back to the Future II – 01:47:55
Back to the Future III – 01:58:14

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY™:
Selection Number: 61212631 (US) / 61212636 (CDN)
Layers: BD 50
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.85:1 Widescreen
Subtitles: English, French Canadian, Latin American Spanish
Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0, French European DTS Digital Surround 5.1 and Latin American Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Run Time:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
Selection Number: 61212627 (US) / 61212635 (CDN)
Layers: DVD 9
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Subtitles: English SDH, French Spanish
Sound: English, French, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Run Time:

ABOUT UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT:
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE – https://www.uphe.com/) is a unit of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group (UFEG). UFEG produces, acquires, markets and distributes filmed entertainment worldwide in various media formats for theatrical, home entertainment, television and other distribution platforms, as well as consumer products, interactive gaming and live entertainment. The global division includes Universal Pictures, Focus Features, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, Universal Brand Development, Fandango, DreamWorks Animation Film and Television and Awesomeness. UFEG is part of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.

beamish14

#183 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 pm

I had absolutely no clue that Ben Stiller auditioned for it. I wonder if that's what helped him later get cast in Spielberg's Empire of the Sun.

Guess we'll have to wait for the 50th anniversary hologram release to hear Eric Stoltz speak as Marty.

Monterey Jack

#184 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm

That cover deserves to be in the "worst cover art EVER" thread. Jesus.

knives

#185 Post by knives » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm

The pull out car thing though is pretty cool.

Dylan

#186 Post by Dylan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Guess we'll have to wait for the 50th anniversary hologram release to hear Eric Stoltz speak as Marty.
Does anybody know why there seems to be a resistance to include the Eric Stoltz footage? I know a few silent clips made it onto a documentary ten years ago, and at the time it felt like more might surface eventually, but the lack of any appearing on this "Ultimate Edition" speaks to the possibility that a release of the Stoltz footage is being blocked. I'm wondering if it's similar to the situation regarding the deleted Kevin Costner scenes in The Big Chill, wherein I believe the release of that footage would mean that Costner would have to be paid (and along with that, perhaps other legal issues). I'm guessing Zemeckis and/or Gale have commented on this but a cursory search didn't lead me to any clear answers.
Last edited by Dylan on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#187 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Monterey Jack wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm
That cover deserves to be in the "worst cover art EVER" thread. Jesus.
The one with the steelbooks and the tremendously bad cover is a Best Buy exclusive, each retailer is getting a different release of this, Amazon's is the same price but has sleeves and a hoverboard toy/replica instead of steelbooks (much better cover, too):

beamish14

#188 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Dylan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 pm
Does anybody know why there seems to be a resistance to include the Eric Stoltz footage? I know a few silent clips made it onto a documentary ten years ago, and at the time it felt like more might surface eventually, but the lack of any appearing on this "Ultimate Edition" speaks to the possibility that a release of the Stoltz footage is being blocked. I'm wondering if it's similar to the situation regarding the deleted Kevin Costner scenes in The Big Chill, wherein I believe the release of that footage would mean that Costner would have to be paid (and along with that, perhaps other legal issues). I'm guessing Zemeckis and/or Gale have commented on this but a cursory search didn't lead me to any clear answers.

Gale has said that they don't want to include it for fear of hurting Stoltz's career as an actor (which is interesting, as he's
mostly transitioned into directing).

I always thought the Big Chill/Costner issue was the bad blood between Costner/Kasdan after Wyatt Earp and
Kasdan not really liking to release deleted footage anyway.

Monterey Jack

#189 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:31 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:58 pm
The one with the steelbooks and the tremendously bad cover is a Best Buy exclusive, each retailer is getting a different release of this, Amazon's is the same price but has sleeves and a hoverboard toy/replica instead of steelbooks (much better cover, too):
Sleeve packaging...worst thing EVER. ](*,)

hearthesilence

#190 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Dylan wrote:
Pay might be part of it, but it's possible any one of the key figures involved simply doesn't want to make it available beyond a few brief shots with no sound. I feel like that's the most common reason for keeping known alternate footage in the vault - the people involved just don't want to make it available for general viewing. It's still more-or-less rejected, work-in-progress footage, and a lot of artists - actors, filmmakers, musicians - don't want most of that put out.

beamish14

#191 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:58 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm
Dylan wrote:
Pay might be part of it, but it's possible any one of the key figures involved simply doesn't want to make it available beyond a few brief shots with no sound. I feel like that's the most common reason for keeping known alternate footage in the vault - the people involved just don't want to make it available for general viewing. It's still more-or-less rejected, work-in-progress footage, and a lot of artists - actors, filmmakers, musicians - don't want most of that put out.

I'm definitely curious about what SAG/AFTRA has to say about remuneration for material like this. I'm trying to think of any Blu-Rays from
the last few years that feature unearthed scenes with a major actor who was completely cut from a key role. Maybe just the brief glimpses
of Jessica Chastain in The Death and Life of John F. Donovan and Mickey Rourke in The Thin Red Line Criterion.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#192 Post by soundchaser » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Coincidentally, I just watched the extras on Metropolitan, which has two such deleted scenes. (Although one of the actors played another role in the finished film, so it’s a slightly different scenario.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#193 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:14 pm

Monterey Jack wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:31 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:58 pm
Sleeve packaging...worst thing EVER. ](*,)
I think I've made this post on this forum about a dozen times, but Blu-ray discs don't get scratched by sleeve packaging (it's hard to scratch them in general), plus how many times are you taking a disc out to play it per... let's say year... fewer than 1 on average? So it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

hearthesilence

#194 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:42 pm

The scratch coat on the "blank" side (the side closest to the data substrate) is so durable, even though the data substrate is even closer to the surface than it would be on a DVD or CD, the coat more than makes up for it. I really has to be because deep scratches are more likely to cause playback errors on a Blu-Ray due to the greater amount of data packed onto the substrate layer's surface. Unfortunately, I've had far more problems with manufacturing defects in Blu-Rays than CD's - it appears that a lot of this has to do with the "dual-layer" design that's often used in Blu-Rays and even DVDs, which can and has caused problems with the media failing from oxidation or other problems occurring between substrate layers. (AFAIK, there's no such thing as a CD with more than one substrate layer.)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#195 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Also, different players are better at the layer shifts. Back in the DVD days my rented copy of Punch-Drunk Love played the scene transition where Sandler is recounting the shock jock anecdote so many times that "Just fix it, sir!" is permanently engrained in my brother and I's memory.

Monterey Jack

#196 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:14 pm
I think I've made this post on this forum about a dozen times, but Blu-ray discs don't get scratched by sleeve packaging (it's hard to scratch them in general)
Tell that to my scratched-right-outta-the-shrinkwrap copy of Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

I detest sleeve packaging, and will keep discs in a blank keepcase with no art rather than subject them to that indignity (I was forced to do that after the ludicrous Criterion Godzilla set).

flyonthewall2983

#197 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 pm
Also, different players are better at the layer shifts. Back in the DVD days my rented copy of Punch-Drunk Love played the scene transition where Sandler is recounting the shock jock anecdote so many times that "Just fix it, sir!" is permanently engrained in my brother and I's memory.
My parents taped several early Simpsons episodes, and stopped when the commercials started. One time not too quick enough during a TV spot for Joe Versus The Volcano. It stopped right at Tom Hanks' line of "brain cloud? I knew it!".
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#198 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:07 am

I revisited Part II the other day to refresh my memory for the sci-fi project, and man- I still don't get the vocal supporters who defend it anywhere near on par with the first. I half-expected to come around, considering that's not an atypical pattern for me in revisits, but I found the film to be so empty and uninspired, with Marty and Doc's chemistry completely drained to the point where it felt like they were filmed separately in scenes together. The only part I like is the Western Union appearance, which is a strong gag to finish things off. I don't think I'll be going back to the third anytime soon.

Toland's Mitchell

#199 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 pm

I used to think highly of Part II, not as highly as the first but I admittedly used to like Part II quite a bit. It aged poorly. The acting and dialogue were terrible at times, not to mention the plot issues regarding the time travel logic. Nevertheless I liked the some of the Biff material when his character wasn't overly exaggerated. The action scenes were filmed well. The overall narrative of stopping by a madman from ruining the lives of the protagonists (as well as the entire town of Hill Valley) was easy to attach to. However it was mismanaged at times, and too often shoehorned uninspired scenes with characters from the first film for their own sake. How times did that guy say "I think he stole his wallet"?

whaleallright

#200 Post by whaleallright » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Gale and Zemeckis would be the first to admit that II was rushed and they never resolved some script problems they wish they had.