Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright, 2010)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright, 2009)

#126 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:40 pm

This is still the movie I've seen the most in theatres. My friends and I saw it at least once a week every week it was in theatres, and we chased it to theatres in the county when it stopped playing in the city. Probably saw it eight or nine times in the theatres alone. Still watch it every year or two. Revisited it yet again earlier this year as well, still rules

therewillbeblus

#127 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm curious on if you think it would fit as a musical, or resembles those qualities of expression. Definitely a bit of a stretch, but something I just considered this last time after many watches of never thinking of it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#128 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:51 pm

It's a musical with fight scenes instead of songs (and then there are also songs)

knives

#129 Post by knives » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Great songs too. I still hum that Metric song regularly.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#130 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Every time I watch the movie, the only major criticism I have is that the Brie Larson perf of the Metric song should be longer

knives

#131 Post by knives » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm

Yes. Though I think the only way the film could satisfy me is if it was twice as long. I just love sitting in this realm.

therewillbeblus

#132 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:51 pm
It's a musical with fight scenes instead of songs (and then there are also songs)
Precisely

I've been listening to the soundtrack all day at work, even "I'm So Sad, So Very Very Sad" has clever merit

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#133 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Biggest unanswered question re: the soundtrack: why is “No Fun” (the song the Scott-less Sex Bob-omb briefly plays at Gideon’s in the finale) left off?

Monterey Jack

#134 Post by Monterey Jack » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:51 am
Scott may be dubbed an "asshole" for his treatment of Knives, but breaking up is hard, and as someone who has broken up with people in similar circumstances of awful timing ("let's meet my parents," "it's my birthday") yet when it felt gut-piercingly necessary, there's no escape from causing harm sometimes (though even still, one must acknowledge the self-driven place that action precipitates from along with the empathetic one- "I can't string someone along any longer" may be earnest but there's also a part that is saying "I don't want to be in this any longer" or in Scott's case, time to move on to the next person). The method by which Wright and co. navigate these real raw emotions peppered in with humor, takes both a non-judgmental and a revealing look at how all people are not only capable of, but naturally experience, selfish behavior and fear-based actions by the essence of social engagement which forces another's feelings to come into contact with our own.
So many people bag on the protagonist of Scott Pilgrim for being solipsistic and thoughtless...but it's not like the movie glorifies his behavior or lets him off the hook. The visualization of his breakup with Knives -- the world literally falling away behind them into an impenetrable, inky void when he says they should see other people -- is striking, and Ellen Wong's meek, quiet heartbreak lingers over the remainder of the film, no matter how much Scott likes hanging with his new-new girlfriend. And he comes to a hard realization by the end about his underhanded treatment of both Knives and Ramona, and learns a valuable lesson about empathy and truthfulness.

This is one of my favorite comedies of the 10's, one that's endlessly rewatchable and that grows deeper underneath Edgar Wright's sumptuous eye candy with each viewing. I can't imagine how good it would look on UHD, and Wright has teased about that recently on Twitter, so that'd be a wonderful way to appreciate the film's 10th anniversary (has it been that long...?! :shock: ).

Monterey Jack

#135 Post by Monterey Jack » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm
Every time I watch the movie, the only major criticism I have is that the Brie Larson perf of the Metric song should be longer
The whole song plays in the film's deleted scenes menu.

therewillbeblus

#136 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:01 am

For those who haven’t upgraded to UHD, the current blu is like $8 and has all the stacked special features of the original Level Up collector’s edition including four commentaries, deleted scenes, etc. The audio is particularly impressive- I may or may not have gotten yelled at and learned my own valuable lesson of empathy from my viewing late last night..

nitin

#137 Post by nitin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:00 am

And conversely to the comments in the TDK thread, this is a movie that has never worked for me at all (I think have seen it 3 times since its release). One of those headscratchers we all have but I just cannot warm to this one despite at least seeing what everyone is talking about, but just feeling nothing from it.

therewillbeblus

#138 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:14 am

Re-release of the OST in the works, reportedly with 24 minutes of previously unreleased material and Godrich’s original score included, as well as the Brie Larson version of Black Sheep.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#139 Post by lacritfan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:22 pm

therewillbeblus

#140 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:52 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:49 pm
Monterey Jack wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:44 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:29 pm

That is Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who by being referred to as "the girl" reminds me of the injustice of her career trajectory. She should have become a star everyone knows by name.
I've been smitten with Winstead since the '07 twofer of Life Free Or Die Hard and Death Proof. A gorgeous, charming and talented actress who would have become a major star had she been around a decade earlier (before franchises took over Hollywood). She sparkles in Scott Pilgrim.
One reason Scott Pilgrim gets better over time for me is to view Winstead from a future context. I was attracted to her personality when I saw it in theatres, but having 'watched her grow' over the years since, and returning to that younger person as a seed of potential that would come to actualize in a variety of different fully-formed personalities, is like a nostalgia trip to a memory from the beginning of a relationship; where you detected an enigmatic attractive quality in another that you felt could change your life for the better. That idea functions perfectly for the film, as drunk romantic blindness and personal significance that may be artificially de-purified through biased memory but remains a sober subjective reality that you can't shake.
domino harvey wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm
I think the movie still reflects the original ending and Knives Chau comes off better.
I feel the end of Scott Pilgrim manages to validate this inexplicable seductive pull towards the one you're attracted to, negating the external sagacity we're used to getting in rom-coms. I agree with Knives Chau coming off better objectively, but there's something to be said for the choice to go with your gut, which doesn't necessarily subscribe to meditative virtues and is a different kind of sobriety altogether, paying attention to what internally feels right even if it can't be argued in a logic proof. Every time I revisit the film I'm genuinely shocked by the decision, and how confidently it affirms the feelings beneath our shells of imperfections.

therewillbeblus

#141 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:33 am

This will be re-released in theatres on April 30 for one week, in a new cut that primarily updates its Dolby soundtrack and image. No word on new footage added, if any.

Monterey Jack

#142 Post by Monterey Jack » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:06 pm

I'd love to be able to see this on the big screen again, as the audio/visual presentation is a large part of the overall experience. Plus, a 4K UHD will follow a few months later.

PfR73

#143 Post by PfR73 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Reads to me like the edit hasn't been changed, just the film has gone through the remastering usually done to prep for a UHD release and that remaster is being projected theatrically. I'd think if Edgar Wright had recut the film, they'd make it a selling point in the trailer he posted and/or show at least some new/differing footage.

Sidenote on the topic of Edgar Wright, I saw his new documentary The Sparks Brothers during SXSW Online and really enjoyed it.

bearcuborg

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright, 2010)

#144 Post by bearcuborg » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:06 am

I honestly forget how I first saw this movie, in the theater or on TV, but I fell for its charms, and marveled at its visual techniques. At the time I was dating someone who was a fan of the graphic novel, so that’s probably why I saw it-and I even bought the dual blu ray/DVD and made her a custom art cover DVD case for the standard edition, while I kept the blu ray.

God to put this back in theaters and not in 3D seems like a lost opportunity.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#145 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am

PfR73 wrote:Reads to me like the edit hasn't been changed, just the film has gone through the remastering usually done to prep for a UHD release and that remaster is being projected theatrically. I'd think if Edgar Wright had recut the film, they'd make it a selling point in the trailer he posted and/or show at least some new/differing footage.
My understanding is the same : it is a simple technical upgrade.

Ghersh

#146 Post by Ghersh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm
My thoughts exactly. Not least because the second, extended refrain of Black Sheep is beautiful (it's a mechanical bull...). I'd even have some nice visual ideas for an extended performance, if Edgar only listened to me...

Then there's also the extended / deleted scene of Scott and Ramona on the playground swings during their first date. The one where she smokes and then flies off from the swing, with Scott unsuccessfully trying to do the same. This should so totally be in the film (to use some Pilgrim slang).

Seeing how positive SPvTW is perceived in this thread, I'm very curious how it'll do in the current 2010s list project.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#149 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:40 pm

There’s so much unused material in the books to utilize in a series (including an entire major character completely absent from the movie), it definitely makes sense.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#150 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:38 pm

Science SARU as the animation house is a terrific choice.