Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright, 2010)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Grand Wazoo

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright, 2009)

#51 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:So, where the book-readers at? Any thoughts on the final volume? I'm still digesting but I can definitely say that changing the ending from what happened in the book to this:
Anhedionisiac wrote:Well, the ending of the script (which admittedly could be altered during shooting) goes as follows:
SpoilerShow
Neither Kim nor Ramona. It turns out his real true love is Knives Chau. Which is wrong for all kind of reasons including the fact that it posits Scott as some sort of King Dick who finally learns to be content with a girl that's not out of her league. Um, yay?
What's even weirder is that Knives actually takes him back. It seems that loser exes are really sexy.
Is enough to make me seriously question the film, despite all its outward charms in the previews. I mean, the above is possibly the worst way to change the material and doesn't make sense at all within the context of story as we know it
SpoilerShow
If I remember correctly, the film doesn't stoop to the level of Scott learning to be content with a girl he's "capable of getting". It attempts to show his folly in trying so hard to sustain a relationship with Ramona despite them not being truly compatible. It insinuates that he and Knives can have a real relationship while the Ramona situation is more of a super passionate fling. But Knives throughout the film is obsessed with Scott to an unhealthy, maniacal degree and then at the end have a "but she really loves you" moment which somewhat undermines Wright's "message". It's a bizarre ending that's a bit jarring and abrupt. I understand Wright's intention but it doesn't make total sense considering everything we saw before. But it doesn't ruin the sheer enjoyment of the rest of the film.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#52 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:45 pm

SpoilerShow
I haven't even received my copy of the book yet so I can't comment. However, that spoiler makes my head hurt. An ending like that is something Rivers Cuomo would dream up! I'm glad that I'll wait to see it until I've read Scott Pilgrim's Final Hour. I really can't see how Wright can justify that ending, any less make a sequel from it as Scott and Knives as a continued couple is an awful idea.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Fear not, the book's ending addresses the problems of Wright's and sort of goes in the direction I thought it would, but also doesn't-- you'll see. The book has its share of problems (the video game references this time were so ample and esoteric that I often felt left out of the action) but it begins and ends on right notes

RE: Knives (this is a spoiler for the book, but not the ending)
SpoilerShow
One of the biggest laughs in the last volume is when Knives and Scott have an ill-advised make-out session and there's a whole page that just says something like And it was terrible for everyone, especially you (the reader)

Jean-Luc Garbo

#54 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:27 am

Joss Whedon likes the comic book. Hooray?

kougogo

#55 Post by kougogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:26 am

Grand Wazoo wrote:
domino harvey wrote:So, where the book-readers at? Any thoughts on the final volume? I'm still digesting but I can definitely say that changing the ending from what happened in the book to this:
Anhedionisiac wrote:Well, the ending of the script (which admittedly could be altered during shooting) goes as follows:
SpoilerShow
Neither Kim nor Ramona. It turns out his real true love is Knives Chau. Which is wrong for all kind of reasons including the fact that it posits Scott as some sort of King Dick who finally learns to be content with a girl that's not out of her league. Um, yay?
What's even weirder is that Knives actually takes him back. It seems that loser exes are really sexy.
Is enough to make me seriously question the film, despite all its outward charms in the previews. I mean, the above is possibly the worst way to change the material and doesn't make sense at all within the context of story as we know it
SpoilerShow
If I remember correctly, the film doesn't stoop to the level of Scott learning to be content with a girl he's "capable of getting". It attempts to show his folly in trying so hard to sustain a relationship with Ramona despite them not being truly compatible. It insinuates that he and Knives can have a real relationship while the Ramona situation is more of a super passionate fling. But Knives throughout the film is obsessed with Scott to an unhealthy, maniacal degree and then at the end have a "but she really loves you" moment which somewhat undermines Wright's "message". It's a bizarre ending that's a bit jarring and abrupt. I understand Wright's intention but it doesn't make total sense considering everything we saw before. But it doesn't ruin the sheer enjoyment of the rest of the film.
SpoilerShow
According to this HEAVILY spoiler-iffic and hyperbolic video review(starts about 7:00) the ending in the script, where Scott ends up with Knives, was actually reshot. So now the movie's ending mirrors Book 6's ending.

mikebowes

#56 Post by mikebowes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 am

Saw this last night at a preview screening in Boston with Wright, Cera, Schwartzman, Kendrick in attendance promoting it. Never seen a Wright film, never read the book(s) but thought the film was densely funny. Really great. The screening was filled with Wright and SP junkies and everyone seemed to love it.

Grand Wazoo

#57 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Great A.V. Club interview with Edgar Wright

Apparently he's made a bunch of changes besides the ending since I saw this back in Feb. I'm highly looking forward to witnessing how they affect the final film. I trust Wright, so I'll assume it's all for the better.

Antoine Doinel

#58 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Edgar Wright wrote a piece for The Playlist about his favorite musicals and rock and roll movies.

oldsheperd

#59 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:41 pm

So has Michael Cera officially type-cast himself?

tavernier

#60 Post by tavernier » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:59 pm

already happened a few films back

oldsheperd

#61 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I like him just can't imagine him playing anything other than an unassuming wide-eyed teen or twentysomething

Tom Hagen

#62 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 pm

I have about zero interest in anything Michael Cera related at this point. It's even going to be tough to get me into the Arrested Development movie at this point, and I loved the series.

Markson

#63 Post by Markson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Some funny Lucas Lee posters.

HistoryProf

#64 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:14 pm

LOVED this review on NPR today, and I haven't even seen the movie and am not incredibly motivated to do so...she nails everything that's gone wrong with "critics" today:

'Scott Pilgrim' Versus The Unfortunate Tendency To Review The Audience

Finch

#65 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 am

I know it's frowned upon to link to AICN of all places but they do have a good interview with Edgar Wright

Jean-Luc Garbo

#66 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

That was a good interview. I certainly appreciated Wright's explanation for the inclusion of the sound balloons. His interpretation of Scott lined up with mine as well so that's encouraging. The AV Club review confirmed my fears, but after this I feel a bit more hopeful for the film.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#67 Post by cdnchris » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 am

I must admit I found myself actually getting impatient with the film when the fights were about to take place (and were actually taking place) after the Chris Evans one, actually wanting to get through them as quickly as possible. But it was good fun, and I had a blast, and enjoyed all of the video game references that took me back to my youth (like the use of the Zelda music.) Plus, I was surprised to see this took place in Toronto, and, despite the fantasy nature of the film, it's authentically "Canadian" from the locations (Pizza, Pizza and Second Cup,) the general look of the characters, the apartments, the snow storm in April, right down to the coins from the exes being Toonies and Loonies. Even the few ehs were correctly used. I'm assuming the books take place in Toronto as well.

royalton

#68 Post by royalton » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:26 am

I thought it was a stunning, visceral experience and a great time, and it got a great audience reaction. But having begun to read the books, I may be a bit biased - I thought it skimped on some key character material, unusual for Edgar Wright, and that it sped through some important evolution, as well as shortchanging characters like Knives, Kim, and Envy. I also felt the climax was very rushed, and the reshoots were obvious. Despite that, it's an amazing step for Wright and a lot of fun. If I see it again it may become one of my favorites of the year.

Finch

#69 Post by Finch » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:48 am

Early numbers from Friday suggest Pilgrim finished in fourth at the BO (while the poorly reviewed Expendables went straight to the top but I wouldn't bet against a 60% or thereabouts drop next weekend once word gets out that action fans are better off renting the DVD and fastforwarding to the final 30 mins). Universal must be hoping that it does better for the remainder of the weekend and that word of mouth is good enough to give the film strong legs. I, for one, can't wait to see it when it opens over here.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#70 Post by Shrew » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:27 pm

This is a hell of a lot of fun, despite its flaws. Wright has great success with getting comic tropes to work great as cinematic flourishes.

Trouble is, the film's middle really slags, even though it's pumping out the fights as quickly as it can. After the Lucas Lee battle, the Scott-Ramona relationship hits a roadblock and the movie loses its narrative thrust. As a result, the next few battles seem squished and a bit boring, despite how much humor and visual spark Wright works into them. Wright had similar second-act problems in his previous movies, especially Hot Fuzz, though while Fuzz draaaaaaaaged he seems to have overcompensated here and just rushed through as quickly as he could.

But like said, this is a hell of a lot of fun. It reminds me a lot of Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player, in that its taking a overlooked 'lowbrow' genre and using it to play with every sort of cinematic trick and digression. But unfortunately it misses most of the bittersweetness at the heart of that film, and of the original books.

And real pity Kim and Envy weren't better fleshed out. Particularly Envy, who is solely stuck as a superbitch here.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#71 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:23 pm

I saw the film today and enjoyed it greatly. I think that Wright has done the comic book movie. Sure, there are some elements in the book that make it to the screen which made his job easier, but all in all he made it his own. His adaptation lives by the spirit of the book while also making it work as a cinematic spectacle.

First off, Cera is not bad. I think that he succeeds by focusing on one aspect of Scott's personality and using it consistently throughout the film. He does a good job making Scott a movie character rather than a simple comic book character. Second, the other actors really nail the characters - Winstead especially. Kim Pine and Stephen Stills could have been better - Kim seemed to have a short-leashed disgust for all while Stephen Stills could have been played more as the straight man - but I was happy that they were played well. None of the characters were incarnated as how I saw them in the books - not that I expected a perfect adaptation as that would've been impossible - but I can't say that's a failing of the movie. Wright and the actors got them and none of them acted uncharacteristically. It was a delight to hear them deliver some of the best lines from the book. Sure, this was the Cliffs Notes version of the book, but it was good. Only little things like a few of the sound effects - which for the most part were incorporated judiciously - and the chapter headings felt off to me. The film also felt a little rushed, but it hit the big themes and was structured rather well. As a whole, it was good.

Lastly, the movie looks great. The sets and photography were just about perfect so kudos to the teams involved. The music was good, too. I was delighted to hear them use the Stones song - which I'd earlier questioned - most appropriately. Call me a sucker, but using that Sade cover for a scene with Scott and Ramona felt great. It was a sweethearted love scene. The use of the T.Rex song was good, too. I'm actually more excited by Godrich's score than the rock that was used, but that doesn't mean the music was used haphazardly. It all gelled.

Anyway, this is all to say that my fears were allayed for the most part and I greatly look forward to the DVD. It was a good movie. God help Edgar Wright if I meet him.
Last edited by Jean-Luc Garbo on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#72 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:49 pm

I'll go into depth later when I can collect my thoughts, but this was definitely a case where an adaptation follows the spirit rather than the letter of the source material. I thought most of the choices were effective, and I must admit that now having seen Knives' more sympathetic portrayal I can see why Wright went in that direction-- she comes off much better with the rejiggering of her fight with Ramona, etc. On a basic level, I can't remember the last film that I enjoyed as just pure sensory entertainment-- maybe Zazie dans le metro

Foam

#73 Post by Foam » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 am

My local theater's projectionist decided it would be good to crop out all the text jokes and lessen the impact of all aspect ratio changes, but the movie is so engrossing otherwise that it still didn't feel like a waste of 9 dollars. Pure filmic spectacle.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#74 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:47 am

I heard and explanation of the film the other day that makes so much sense that I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner myself: The movie is so effective because Wright has staged the film as a musical, only instead of singing there's fighting. And my God, damned if this isn't exactly the most effective "musical" in the classical mode in years!

Murdoch

#75 Post by Murdoch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Foam wrote:My local theater's projectionist decided it would be good to crop out all the text jokes and lessen the impact of all aspect ratio changes, but the movie is so engrossing otherwise that it still didn't feel like a waste of 9 dollars. Pure filmic spectacle.
Happened to me as well, but not as bad - mostly the text on the sides of the frame was a little cut off.

I haven't read the comics, but as said above the movie's a lot of fun and as someone who played Zelda a million times as a kid I got a lot of satisfaction from the gamer stuff scattered throughout - the "K-O!" yell after some of the fights was my favorite thing about the film. I didn't expect to like the music in the film so much, I thought it would be just a few guitar riffs here and there but I actually loved all of the battle of the bands scenes mainly because of the music - any band named after a Super Mario character is just too cool, to me anyway :oops: