Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#1226 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:08 pm

It turns out from a just aired trailer that BBC4 is actually doing a "Literary Season" of films on Thursday nights for the next couple of weeks, which begins with Cold Comfort Farm this coming Thursday and then on Thursday 29th has the 2008 remake of Brideshead Revisited at 8 p.m., a Face to Face archive interview with Evelyn Waugh at 10:05 p.m. and I Capture The Castle at 10:35 p.m.

The Go-Between is also going to air at some point, however most exciting is that the adaptation of Jeanette Winterson's Great Moments In Aviation is also in the season, which has not shown on UK television since its premiere back in 1995!

(Though if you cannot wait its up here)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1227 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 pm

Cold Comfort Farm is a very strong adaptation of Stella Gibbons' novel with a lot of spot-on casting, especially Stephen Fry, who was born to play the bloviating Mybug

colinr0380

#1228 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:29 am

He's also very good as the voice of Colonel K in the rebooted Danger Mouse series!

That does remind me that it is a little disappointing that BBC4 are showing the 2008 Brideshead Revisited film again when a great addition to this series would have been Stephen Fry's adaptation of Waugh's Vile Bodies in Bright Young Things, which rarely gets shown.Though it was a Film4 release in the cinemas, so that might explain why its not on the BBC!

Mr. Deltoid

#1229 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:35 pm

jlnight wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:14 am
Hide and Seek (CFF), Sat 24th July, Talking Pictures. (been on London Live)
The Phantom Empire, starts Sat 24th July, Talking Pictures.
Way Out West (+ Helpmates and The Private Life Of Oliver the Eighth), Sat 24th July, Talking Pictures.
Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, Sat 24th July, London Live. (been on Sony Movie channels)

The Cardboard Cavalier, Sun 25th July, Talking Pictures.
Swiss Miss (+ Do Detectives Think?), Sun 25th July, Talking Pictures. (been on before)

Time Limit, Mon 26th July, London Live.
The Shiver of the Vampires (Le Frisson des Vampires), Mon 26th July, London Live.

P'Tang Yang Kipperbang, late Thu 29th July, Film4.

Why Don't You Just Die!, Fri 30th July, Film4.
Ahh . . . The Phantom Empire. Where singing cowboy Gene Autry discovers an underground world of camp-looking robots underneath (?) a country and western radio-station and . . . err, whatever . . It's a camp classic. Last seen on British TV about 20 or so years ago during the brilliant 4Later strand (perhaps the last gasp of the old, freewheelin', vaguely subversive channel 4!) on the brilliant Exploitica!/Exploitica Rides Again, albeit overlayed with speech-bubbles and ridiculous sound effects!

colinr0380

#1230 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:31 am

The cheeky Exploitica version of The Phantom Empire was very funny (I'm waiting for a remake with Tim Heidecker in the Gene Autry part, having bursts of explosive temper at the silly kids in his charge and regularly bursting out into terrible songs). I think Exploitica did the Bela Lugosi Chandu The Magician series as well in the same style.

I did also notice that ITV3 are doing a rare screening of the Morecambe and Wise film The Magnificent Two at 9:50 a.m. tomorrow morning!

Also that trailer the BBC is currently showing celebrating the 'return of live music' with the upcoming Proms seems rather awkwardly misjudged for the current climate in showing all of the performers releasing visible streams of particles of 'magical golden fairy dust' whilst they are performing!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jlnight

#1231 Post by jlnight » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:03 pm

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear, Fri 30th July, Great Movies.

Bush Christmas (CFF), Sat 31st July, Talking Pictures.
Blockheads (+ Towed in a Hole and The Finishing Touch), Sat 31st July, Talking Pictures. (been on before)

Alf's Button Afloat, Sun 1st Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 5th Aug.
A Chump at Oxford (+ The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case), Sun 1st Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on before)
Red Monarch, late Sun 1st Aug, Film4.
Lambert & Stamp, late Sun 1st Aug, Sky Arts.

Sayonara, Mon 2nd Aug, London Live.
The Iron Rose (La Rose de Fer), Mon 2nd Aug, London Live.

October Moth, Thu 5th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also late Sun 8th Aug.
White Boy Rick, Thu 5th Aug, Film4.

Meatballs, Fri 6th Aug, Film4.

colinr0380

#1232 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:25 am

Pretty good next week. The big premiere of the week has to be Alexander Payne's economically based take on The Incredible Shrinking Man with Downsizing showing on Channel 4 at Midnight on Sunday 1st.

BBC2 is showing Kenneth Branagh's Shakespeare biopic All Is True at 10:10 p.m. on Saturday 31st, which was written by Ben Elton and seems a slightly more serious take of the Elton scripted BBC series Upstart Crow. With Kenneth Branagh playing David Mitchell and Anne Hathaway playing Judi Dench. :wink:

BBC1 is showing Gringo at 10:30 p.m. on Sunday 1st whilst ITV2 is showing the videogame adaptation Rampage with Dwayne Johnson at 7 p.m., also on Sunday 1st. And Film4 is showing White Boy Rick at 9 p.m. on Thursday 5th.
___

jlnight has noted most of the exciting repeats but there is a lot of interest showing there too:

It sadly turns out that BBC4 is not showing the Joseph Losey version of The Go-Between in their "literary season" and rather a 2015 BBC television version of the story at 10 p.m. on Thursday 5th. Though it does star Jim Broadbent, Lesley Manville and has a small role for Vanessa Redgrave, so it might be worth a watch.

The Eagle Huntress at showing at 10:50 p.m. on BBC4 on Saturday 31st.

Nuns on the Run is getting its first repeat in I think over a decade showing on Film4 at 12:20 a.m. on Wednesday 4th (amusingly in a double bill with the more recent nun epic, Ida!) "Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet and Watch"! Film4 has an even rarer repeat of Bill Murray directed by Ivan Reitman pre-Ghostbusters in Meatballs at 11:40 p.m. on Friday 6th. From that trailer it looks like the kind of film you could not make just a year later, not for the un-PC bawdy humour but because Paramount-funded summer camps were full of serial killers from 1980 onward! Though that has me imagining what a Bill Murray versus Jason Voorhees stand-off would have been like!

The original 2015 Icelandic version of Rams, which has just had a Sam Neill starring remake, is showing on Film4 at 1:15 a.m. on Thursday 5th. ITV4 is showing Ronin at 10:40 p.m. on Thursday 5th, which I really enjoyed on a recent repeat viewing.

But by far the most exciting rare repeat of the week is Red Monarch from 1983, showing on Film4 at 1:25 a.m. on Monday 2nd. I like this seeming trend of Film4 tucking away long forgotten about bizarre British films from the 1980s in the late night schedules! Red Monarch is directed by Jack Gold who has three films released on disc by Indicator (The Reckoning, Who? and The National Health), though he also directed the great 1980 version of The Merchant of Venice in the BBC Shakespeare cycle and John Hurt as Quentin Crisp in The Naked Civil Servant.

Red Monarch also stars a pre-Poirot David Suchet and Carroll Baker, the same year she was in Bob Fosse's Star 80. It is especially nice to see more of Baker's work being uncovered at the same time as Severin is also paying tribute to her by bringing out that box set of her late 60s Italian thrillers in which she was directed by Umberto Lenzi.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1233 Post by jlnight » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:34 am

Supersonic Saucer (CFF), Sat 7th Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on London Live)
Saps at Sea (+ Hog Wild and Busy Bodies), Sat 7th Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on before)
The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult, Sat 7th Aug, Great Movies.

The Flying Deuces (+ Laughing Gravy), Sun 8th Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on before)

Strictly for the Birds, Mon 9th Aug, Talking Pictures.
The Grapes of Death (Les Raisins de La Mort), Mon 9th Aug, London Live.

Juvenile Liaison, Tue 10th Aug, London Live.
How to Get Ahead in Advertising, late Tue 10th Aug, Film4.

Cal, late Thu 12th Aug, Film4. (last on London Live)

colinr0380

#1234 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Pretty quiet next week. The schedules seem a bit shell-shocked after the wall-to-wall Olympics coverage of the last couple of weeks, with BBC1 getting back to showing the fifth season of Bates Motel on Tuesday evenings again. The only new film being shown is The Peanut Butter Falcon on BBC1 at 10:35 p.m. on Friday 13th.

There is a strange series 'inspired by Terry Pratchett's Discworld' starting on BBC2 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 12th: The Watch. It looks a bit too quirky for me, like His Dark Materials meets Good Omens meets Game of Thrones meets Suicide Squad, with an attempt to play the satellite channel Sky's official Pratchett adaptation at its own game. Much more interesting is that the third series of Pose is showing from Sunday 8th on BBC2.

But there are lots of interesting repeats to make up for the lack of new items of filmic interest. jlnight has noted the most interesting two films: Film4 is showing How To Get Ahead In Advertising at 1:50 a.m. on Wednesday 11th (my advice is just to watch the opening speech scene and leave it at that, because that pretty much covers all of the satire on offer! However that one scene was more than enough to justify its place in the Criterion Collection in my book! And Richard E. Grant is certainly throwing himself into the role and what the rest of the film demands of him with gusto!) and then most exciting is that Film4 is also showing the IRA thriller with Helen Mirren Cal at 1:25 a.m. on Friday 13th. I think we can comfortably assume after the last few weeks that Film4 is doing some sort of unofficial late night season showing obscure 1980s films from their archives that have not aired in decades now, which is much appreciated. I know they did Poliakoff already a little while back with Runners from 1983, which he wrote, but it would be really good if Poliakoff's first directed feature 1987's Hidden City might turn up some time if the schedulers are dredging through the archives and looking for recommendations. The last time that was shown on television was on Channel 4 back in 1995)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

jlnight

#1235 Post by jlnight » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:06 am

Little Devils: The Birth, late Fri 13th Aug, Talking Pictures.

Tit for Tat, Sat 14th Aug, Talking Pictures.
Kid From Canada (CFF), Sat 14th Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on London Live)
Snowball, Sat 14th Aug, Talking Pictures.
Piranhas (2019), Sat 14th Aug, BBC4.
Green Book, Sat 14th Aug, BBC2.

Sabrina (1954), Sun 15th Aug, Great Movies Classic.
Tully, late Sun 15th Aug, Channel 4.

Requiem for a Vampire, Mon 16th Aug, London Live.

Juvenile Liaison 2, Tue 17th Aug, London Live.

colinr0380

#1236 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:40 am

Film4 have trailed that they will be showing Robert Redford in The Old Man and the Gun on Wednesday 18th, which looks as if it is set to coincide with the release of David Lowery's latest film, The Green Knight, in cinemas.

colinr0380

#1237 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:25 am

A lot of big films next week, with there being surprisingly quite a few premieres on BBC1 as well.

Best Picture Oscar winner and Spike Lee-botherer Green Book is showing on BBC2 at 10 p.m. on Saturday 14th, although that does clash against the BBC's other two premieres of the night in Giant Little Ones with Kyle MacLachlan and Maria Bello at 11:50 p.m. on BBC1 and the most interesting film of the week in Italian crime drama Piranhas showing at 9 p.m. on BBC4. I think I may have to give Green Book a miss to be able to watch both of the other films.

I missed the first episode that was shown last Sunday (though luckily it is up here) but I thought I would highlight that BBC4 is also repeating the 1980 series A Change Of Sex with the second and third episodes showing from 9 p.m. on Sunday 15th. That was the series that got clips shown throughout the latest Adam Curtis series Can't Get You Out Of My Head (which reminds me that I need to watch the rest of that series soon!)

BBC1 has another premiere at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday 15th with Eaten By Lions (though I am a little wary of the hyperbolic "British Wes Anderson" review quoted in that trailer! For one thing the compositions do not appear to be symmetrical enough and Johnny Vegas is no substitute for Tilda Swinton! [-( ), whilst Channel 4 have two premieres on the same day with Dora & The Lost City Of Gold at 3:45 p.m. and then tucked away at 12:30 a.m. in the early hours of Monday morning is Jason Reitman's Tully.

As mentioned in the last post The Old Man and the Gun is showing on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 18th, although unfortunately it clashes with the last two episodes of Missions on BBC4 at the same time, so I may give it a miss and hope that the charisma of Robert Redford will ensure a repeat screening in the near future!

Then a busy week for new films is capped off by the Nicole Kidman starring Destroyer on BBC1 at 10:35 p.m. on Friday 20th.

___
Repeat-wise Michael Haneke's Happy End is showing on BBC2 at 1 a.m. on Sunday 15th, Aki Kaurismaki's The Other Side of Hope is showing on BBC2 at 12:05 a.m. early Monday 16th, Hirokazu Kore-eda's Shoplifters is showing on Film4 at 1:30 a.m. on Monday 16th, Mike Leigh's Peterloo is showing on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Monday 16th, Midnight Special is showing on BBC2 at 11:15 p.m. on Wednesday 18th, Cold War is showing on Film4 at 1 a.m. on Thursday 19th, BBC4 is showing Elvis movie Viva Las Vegas at 10:30 p.m. on Thursday 19th, Le Mans is showing on BBC2 at 12:15 p.m. on Sunday 15th followed up with documentary Steve McQueen: the Man & Le Mans at 10.30 p.m. on BBC4 on Tuesday 17th, ITV4 is screening Species II at 11 p.m. on Thursday 19th and Film4 is showing Blue Velvet at 11 p.m. on Friday 20th. Phew!

But by far the most important thing (at least in my eyes!) is that BBC4 is showing a repeat of the 1989 Face to Face interview with J.G. Ballard at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 17th! Though I spoiled the anticipation by treating myself to the episode early!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

colinr0380

#1238 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:01 am

Also whilst I am reminded of it, journeying into the BBC children's channels has been interesting but I usually avoid the pre-school CBeebies one as much as possible (mostly because the clown Mr Tumble, and the insanely upbeat actor playing him, gave me nightmares throughout my mid-20s to mid-30s. For my money he was far scarier than Pennywise! Knowing my luck the BBC will promote him to Political Correspondent or something as he 'ages up' with his audience!). However because it shares a broadcasting band with BBC4 if I have left that channel on I occasionally get the disembodied sound from CBeebies coming through first thing in the morning as I am getting ready for work and find myself often in my bleary eyed state getting intrigued by the Little Daydreams short pieces that they play before the channel properly gets going. There's something about the matronly, slightly schoolmarmish quality of the narrator, voiced by Olivia Colman ("You'd better 'pause and look' to appreciate these shapes and colours! Now little ones *claps hands* you've had your five minutes allotted 'mindful' staring into space for the day so lets get started back on those quadratic equations! Stop crying Tabitha, you can use the potty after you have calculated the value of pi!") doing an utterly bizarre Beat Poet-like reverie about bubbles or lights combined with an often beautiful Brian Eno-meets-Tangerine Dream-like score that gets a bit hypnotic at 5:30 a.m. in the morning! (EDIT: It turns out the music is by Squarepusher, of Come On My Selector fame!)

It kind of reminds me that in the early 90s Channel 4 used to show those Koyaanisqatsi-styled flying across landscape programmes backed by ambient music and/or panpipes in the very early hours, which always felt like the best kind of low intensity programming for that time of the morning! This may actually be illustrative of how media was able to accommodate (or safely absorb into the monoform!) the Godfrey Reggio and Ron Fricke style of filmmaking. And could also be seen as the precursor to recent adult-oriented attempts at 'Slow television' with the programmes involving multi-hour long train journeys or canal trips that have become a feature more recently.

Here's the full hour long compilation of all the five minute shorts The "Flowers" and "Sensory Playroom" ones are probably my favourites! Though the 'paint makes patterns in the water' section is a bit reminiscent of the opening titles of Kwaidan!

jlnight

#1239 Post by jlnight » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:08 am

The World Owes Me A Living, Fri 20th Aug, Talking Pictures.

Friend or Foe (CFF), Sat 21st Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on before)
Fighting with My Family, Sat 21st Aug, Channel 4. Or...
A White, White Day, Sat 21st Aug, BBC4.
Lords of Chaos, Sat 21st Aug, Film4.

Dirty Harry, Sun 22nd Aug, Paramount Network. Or...
If..., Sun 22nd Aug, Great Movies Classic.

Above the Law, Mon 23rd Aug, Paramount Network.
Thunder Road (2018), Mon 23rd Aug, Film4. Or...
Fascination (1979), Mon 23rd Aug, London Live.

Hallam Foe, late Tue 24th Aug, Film4.

Aquarela, Wed 25th Aug, BBC4.

Memory: The Origins of Alien, Thu 26th Aug, Film4.

Only You (2018), Fri 27th Aug, BBC2.

colinr0380

#1240 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:14 am

Lots of things next week. Channel 4 has a double bill on Saturday 21st of Fighting With My Family (The Full Monty-but-with-wrestling?) at 9 p.m. followed by What Men Want at 11:10 p.m.

BBC4 has a couple of premieres with Icelandic drama A White, White Day at 9 p.m. on Saturday 21st and Aquarela at 9:50 p.m. on Wednesday 25th.

Film4 pretty much wins the week however with premieres of:

Lords of Chaos at 11:15 p.m. on Saturday 21st
Thunder Road at 10:50 p.m. on Monday 23rd (after a repeat of The Old Man and The Gun)
Brothers In Arms at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 24th
Memory: The Origins of Alien at 11:20 p.m. on Thursday 26th (after a repeat of Alien: Covenant)

And BBC2 has Only You showing at 11 p.m. on Friday 27th. Which is the 2018 Only You, not the 1992 Only You or the 1994 Only You (there are as many "Only You"'s in cinema now as there are "Leviathan"'s!)

BBC1's recent foray into showing US television series continues with the first episode of the Gossip Girl reboot at 10:35 p.m. on Wednesday 25th. I don't recall the original series airing on UK terrestrial television (maybe on the E4 channel?) so this may be the equivalent signal boosted series of Mayan's M.C. to Sons of Anarchy.
___

Repeat-wise, BBC2 showing It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World at 2 p.m. on Monday 23rd, BBC4 is showing documentary Under The Wire at 10:45 p.m. on Saturday 21st, BBC2 is showing French First World War drama The Guardians at Midnight on the evening of Saturday 21st, Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes is on BBC2 at 1:15 p.m. on Sunday 22nd, Personal Shopper is showing on BBC2 at 11:15 p.m. on Wednesday 25th, the Philippine drama by Brillante Mendoza Alpha: The Right To Kill is showing on Film4 at 2 a.m. on Thursday 26th, and Scorsese's version of Silence is showing on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Thursday 26th.

jlnight

#1241 Post by jlnight » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Them Thar Hills, Sat 28th Aug, Talking Pictures.
The Glitterball (CFF), Sat 28th Aug, Talking Pictures. (been on before)
Come to Daddy (2019), Sat 28th Aug, Film4.

Witness for the Prosecution, Sun 29th Aug, BBC2. Also Mon 30th Aug, BBC4.
The Blob (1958), Sun 29th Aug, Horror. (been on before)

Return to Yesterday, Mon 30th Aug, Talking Pictures.
On The Basis Of Sex, Mon 30th Aug, BBC2. Or...
Lips of Blood, Mon 30th Aug, London Live.

The Man in Grey, Tue 31st Aug, Talking Pictures.
Requiem for the American Dream, Tue 31st Aug, London Live.

Elmer Gantry, Wed 1st Sep, London Live.
Gloria Bell, Wed 1st Sep, BBC2.

The Mummy (1959) + The Amazing Transparent Man + How to Undress in Public Without Undue Embarrassment, Fri 3rd Sep, Talking Pictures. (The Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1242 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:15 am

Relatively subdued next week but still some items of interest:

The biggest new film of the week is the much belated premiere of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on ITV2 at 6:10 p.m. on Bank Holiday Monday. Considering that Justice League, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman already turned up on ITV last year (and have been repeated a couple of times since. Suicide Squad itself is showing again on Friday 3rd) it was seeming rather strange that this earlier film was conspicuously absent. As with Justice League, from the running time (170 minutes including advert breaks) it appears that this is going to be the shorter theatrical version of the film.

The most interesting new film of the week however is the Elijah Wood-starring Come To Daddy showing on Film4 at 11:15 p.m., followed by a repeat of Finnish BDSM drama Dogs Don't Wear Pants.

BBC2 is showing the Ruth Bader Ginsberg biopic directed by Deep Impact director Mimi Leder, On The Basis Of Sex at 10:30 p.m. on Monday 20th. Gloria Bell from A Fantastic Woman director Sebastián Lelio and starring Julianne Moore (which is a remake of his 2013 Chilean original just called Gloria) is showing on BBC2 at 11:15 p.m. on Wednesday 1st.
___

Repeat-wise the BBC is devoting the Bank Holiday weekend to Agatha Christie adaptations, both repeats of relatively new mini-series (Ordeal By Innocence and The Pale Horse) as well as showing Billy Wilder's film of Witness For The Prosecution twice, once on BBC2 on Sunday 29th at 4 p.m. and again at 10:50 p.m. on Monday 20th on BBC4 itself. The most interesting part of that Agatha Christie weekend however is on Monday 20th with a showing of the 1985 Miss Marple TV adaptation of The Moving Finger at 7:30 p.m (the last film directed by Roy Boulting), followed by a 1990 documentary Agatha Christie: An Unfinished Portrait at 9 p.m.
colinr0380 wrote:The Go-Between is also going to air at some point, however most exciting is that the adaptation of Jeanette Winterson's Great Moments In Aviation is also in the season, which has not shown on UK television since its premiere back in 1995!

(Though if you cannot wait its up here)
And Great Moments In Aviation finally turns up for its first television screening in 26 years, showing at 9 p.m. on Thursday 2nd, followed at 10:30 p.m. by a Face To Face interview with Jeanette Winterson.

colinr0380

#1243 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Did anyone else know that there was a sequel to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (: Pants Harder With A Vengeance) is showing on ITV2 at 2:20 p.m. on Sunday 29th. I am sure that the fact that this is a film with a Greek setting that was released the same year as Mamma Mia! is a pure coincidence. :wink:

And how could I have missed the biggest news of the week: Channel 5 are finally getting back to what they do best by showing the David Duchovny introduced series of erotic tales Red Shoe Diaries from the very beginning for the first time on free-to-air television in double bills every Monday to Thursday at 11 p.m., beginning on Monday 30th! It sounds like a series full of relatable situations:
the EPG for Episode 1:4 of the Red Shoe Diaries wrote:Elaine is French, wild and beautiful. Bud loves her, but when she catches him in the men's room with the winner of a wet T-shirt contest, she gets furious.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirtyframesasecond

#1244 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:52 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:01 am
Also whilst I am reminded of it, journeying into the BBC children's channels has been interesting but I usually avoid the pre-school CBeebies one as much as possible (mostly because the clown Mr Tumble, and the insanely upbeat actor playing him, gave me nightmares throughout my mid-20s to mid-30s. For my money he was far scarier than Pennywise! Knowing my luck the BBC will promote him to Political Correspondent or something as he 'ages up' with his audience!). However because it shares a broadcasting band with BBC4 if I have left that channel on I occasionally get the disembodied sound from CBeebies coming through first thing in the morning as I am getting ready for work and find myself often in my bleary eyed state getting intrigued by the Little Daydreams short pieces that they play before the channel properly gets going. There's something about the matronly, slightly schoolmarmish quality of the narrator, voiced by Olivia Colman ("You'd better 'pause and look' to appreciate these shapes and colours! Now little ones *claps hands* you've had your five minutes allotted 'mindful' staring into space for the day so lets get started back on those quadratic equations! Stop crying Tabitha, you can use the potty after you have calculated the value of pi!") doing an utterly bizarre Beat Poet-like reverie about bubbles or lights combined with an often beautiful Brian Eno-meets-Tangerine Dream-like score that gets a bit hypnotic at 5:30 a.m. in the morning! (EDIT: It turns out the music is by Squarepusher, of Come On My Selector fame!)

It kind of reminds me that in the early 90s Channel 4 used to show those Koyaanisqatsi-styled flying across landscape programmes backed by ambient music and/or panpipes in the very early hours, which always felt like the best kind of low intensity programming for that time of the morning! This may actually be illustrative of how media was able to accommodate (or safely absorb into the monoform!) the Godfrey Reggio and Ron Fricke style of filmmaking. And could also be seen as the precursor to recent adult-oriented attempts at 'Slow television' with the programmes involving multi-hour long train journeys or canal trips that have become a feature more recently.

Here's the full hour long compilation of all the five minute shorts The "Flowers" and "Sensory Playroom" ones are probably my favourites! Though the 'paint makes patterns in the water' section is a bit reminiscent of the opening titles of Kwaidan!
I have a young daughter, so I watch the trio of Bing/Hey Duggee/Bluey every weekday morning. Really, I'm watching them. My daughter watches more casually. Bing is hit and miss - he is an annoying as hell bunny. Hey Duggee is often very grown-up in its references - they had an episode that riffed on Apocalypse Now, with a female panda as Kurtz! Bluey is tremendous fun. It's a great kids animation about families - it's Australian but I've yet to see any overt references to Young Einstein or anything!

Justin Fletcher/Mr Tumble is alright in doses too.

jlnight

#1245 Post by jlnight » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:58 am

Liberty (1929), Sat 4th Sep, Talking Pictures.
The Battle of Billy's Pond (CFF), Sat 4th Sep, Talking Pictures. (been on London Live)
Ships with Wings, Sat 4th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 10th Sep.

Painted Boats, Sun 5th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 14th Sep.
Johnny Frenchman, Sun 5th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 8th Sep.
Easy Come, Easy Go, Sun 5th Sep, Great Movies Classic.

RoboCop 3, Mon 6th Sep, ITV4.
Mickey and the Bear, Mon 6th Sep, Film4. Or...
Horror Hospital, Mon 6th Sep, London Live.

Anna (The Faith of Anna Waters is a completely different film, damn it!), Tue 7th Sep, Film4.
Playing Away (1986), late Tue 7th Sep, Film4. (first play since 1993?)

Dracula (1958) + The Severed Arm, Fri 10th Sep, Talking Pictures. (The Cellar Club)
Last edited by jlnight on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1246 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:49 am

Next week is the kind of week that I really like the television schedules for: films that I really had no idea about until they turned up the schedules, and may be bad or good, but I would never have thought to have tracked down, or known existed before they appeared!

Although the first film is probably one that even if I had known existed I probably would have shied away from anyway due to my aversion for football. But at least with it showing on television there is maybe a chance that I may tune in to UK/German co-production The Keeper, showing at 10 p.m. on Sunday 5th. As a non-football fan I do not know however if the Radio Times may have spoiled the 'big event' of this true story film by saying:
SpoilerShow
"Bert Trautmann famously kept goal for 17 minutes with a broken neck during the 1956 FA Cup Final"
, or if that would be the stating the obvious equivalent of saying that the boat sinks in Titanic!

The Keeper clashes with the single premiere of the week on Channel 5, of Rise of the Footsoldier 4: Marbella at 11 p.m. the same evening. I have not seen any of the previous Rise of the Footsoldier films, or indeed any of the strange specifically London and South East area-based British gangster genre that has had a surprisingly long tail in the Direct to Video and modern equivalent markets, probably starting with Guy Ritchie but spinning off into Sexy Beast and given new blood in the mid-2000s by Nick Love's films with Danny Dyer such as The Football Factory and The Business. In addition to the Rise of the Footsoldier series that has been running since 2007 (and apparently has a "Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins" film upcoming) there was also the Bonded By Blood films and the only series that I would really be interested in checking out if it turns up on television some time: the Sean Bean starring Essex Boys (though I am mostly interested to of course find out if Sean Bean's character lives to the end of the movie! Since it was based on an infamous murder case that took place in the mid-1990s, I am presuming not!), which itself has run to five entries, with the fifth "Essex Boys: Rettendon" apparently in production.

Channel 4 is showing a documentary In The Shadow of 9/11 at 11 p.m. on Monday 6th, which is based on the same bizarre event involving the "Liberty City Seven" that Chris Morris based his The Day Shall Come film upon. This is currently also up on YouTube.

Film4 pretty much wins the week however with a number of premieres. Mickey and the Bear is showing at 10:50 p.m. on Monday 6th. Luc Besson's latest film Anna (which probably sunk without trace on its cinema release due to the controversies surrounding the director that were happening at the same time) is showing at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 7th, which looks like Besson going back to Nikita, with Helen Mirren replacing Jeanne Moreau. Then the third premiere on Film4 next week is Monsters and Men showing at 9 p.m. on Thursday 9th.

___

The big film repeat of the week has been noted by jlnight with the very rare showing of 1987 cricket comedy film by Horace Ové Playing Away showing on FIlm4 at 1:55 a.m. in the early hours of 8th September. This film stars Norman Beaton and serendipitously (almost as if it were planned?) Channel 4 is doing the first repeat in decades of at least some episodes of classic 1980s-early 1990s sitcom Desmonds with four episodes showing from 6 a.m. on the morning of Friday 10th. This is apparently part of a well meaning yet excruciatingly punning "Black to Front Diversity Project" by Channel 4 to do a full day of programming fronted by black presenters, including bringing back their early morning breakfast programme The Big Breakfast for a one-off episode, showing four episodes of the Black-ish sitcom on Channel 4 (the first time that has been shifted from the sub-channel E4) and having ex-news presenter Trevor McDonald host the Countdown quiz show, up to a late evening repeat of Moonlight. If this is what it takes to get a couple of great sitcoms and films shown on the main channel, then I can get behind it - less so when its just more house buying and selling programmes, Gogglebox, or past their prime breakfast shows just with people of different races swapped in, which doesn't automatically make somewhat standard and tired formats better!

(And Trevor McDonald doing Countdown as a guest presenter has been somewhat pipped to the post by the BBC introducing news presenter Clive Myrie as the new permanent host of the Mastermind quiz show!)

The other repeat of note is a showing of the 1993 US remake of The Vanishing showing on the 5 Star digital channel at 11 p.m. on Tuesday 7th. Which came to mind quite recently when watching that most disturbing movies guide video when one participant talked about the Funny Games remake and "who else would be better to remake their own movie than the director of the original?". This film sort of answers that question!
___

BBC4's latest foreign language television series is the Swedish crime drama The Hunt For A Killer with the first two episodes showing at 9 p.m. on Saturday 4th. BBC4 is also showing the Russian documentary Garage People at 9:55 p.m. on Wednesday 8th.

And the big television event of the week is that BBC2 is showing the first part of The North Water at 9:30 p.m. on Friday 10th. I am not too sure whether I may have the stamina required for a second "BBC2 multi-episode drama series about an ill fated historical sea voyage" after seeing The Terror quite recently, but it is notable that The North Water is directed by Andrew Haigh of Weekend and 45 Years fame. Which may explain why Tom Courtenay is in the cast!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1247 Post by jlnight » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:52 am

One Hour to Zero (CFF), Sat 11th Sep, Talking Pictures.
The Long Night (1947), Sat 11th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 14th Sep.
Vice Squad, Sat 11th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 15th Sep.

Monte Walsh, Sun 12th Sep, Paramount Network. (now gone from the listings!)
Fitzwilly (1967), Sun 12th Sep, London Live.
Sorry To Bother You, Sun 12th Sep, BBC2.

I Believe In You, Mon 13th Sep, Talking Pictures.
Her Private Hell, Mon 13th Sep, London Live.
The Last Impresario, late Mon 13th Sep, Sky Arts. (been on BBC1's Imagine strand)

Behind the Rent Strike, Tue 14th Sep, London Live.

Wild Rose (2019), Wed 15th Sep, Film4. Or...
Gunda, Wed 15th Sep, BBC4.

Lonely Are the Brave, Thu 16th Sep, Film4.
Youth (2015), late Thu 16th Sep, Film4.

The Curse of Frankenstein + A Bucket of Blood, Fri 17th Sep, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

Good spot on Desmond's! London Live have repeated it in recent years but before that I think the youth channel Trouble had it. The spin-off series Porkpie is the one that hasn't been seen in years.
Last edited by jlnight on Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1248 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:17 am

Relatively quiet next week. Sadly whilst Channel 5 did a couple of evenings of double bills of the Red Shoe Diaries they got quickly pulled from the schedules by the Wednesday of the first week they began airing, so Channel 5 is back to ambulance chasing and CCTV crime shows again at that time of the evening, which somehow manages to be less classy and much tackier than softcore erotica!

Its a Universal Pictures premiere week, as Channel 4 shows Mortal Engines at 11 p.m. on Saturday 11th (haven't we all been terrorised by a giant allegorical representation of the City of London at one point or another in our lives?), which has been adapted by Lord of the Rings team Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Peter Jackson. The most exciting film of the week however is Sorry To Bother You showing on BBC2 at 11 p.m. on Sunday 12th.

After Aquarela showing last week, BBC4 is showing another film from Russian documentarian Viktor Kossakovsky next week with Gunda at 10 p.m. on Wednesday 15th. This makes Kossakovsky the filmmaker to beat for number of films premiered on UK television this year. And we appear to be getting a general Russian documentary series occurring on BBC4, with Garage People showing this evening.

And then there is 'Billy Eliot-but-with-Country Music' film Wild Rose showing on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 15th. Will it be touching or so mawkish it would leave one pining for a final act deus ex machina Nashville-style on-stage assassination?

The CBBC channel appears to have run out of 'fussing 'n' fueding' dance school series The Next Step and instead is premiering the (a bit unfortunately too late to tie into the Olympics) TV movie Olympians At Heart at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday 11th. Will it be touching or leave one pining for a Final Destination 5-style horrible accident on the gym equipment?

And the Horror Channel is showing G-Loc at 9 p.m. on Friday 17th.

EDIT: By the way, knowing about the big incident of The Keeper did not entirely spoil the 'big reveal' events of that movie, which unfortunately fell into the current trend of biographical true story dramas of:
SpoilerShow
dead children. Although at least there was the novelty in The Keeper of a scene involving a couple of characters having a punch up in the graveyard, rolling around on top of the son's grave to express their grief!

colinr0380

#1249 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:40 am

I really enjoyed Garage People, and the range and diversity of activities occurring inside all of those lock up garages on the Russian Arctic circle was quite eye-opening! Probably the image that will stick in my memory the longest is the sight of someone with advanced Parkinsons and wearing no safety equipment (not even goggles!) wielding a circular saw to cut up tubes of metal, sending sparks flying all across both himself and his tiny workspace!

colinr0380

#1250 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:18 am

An interesting first occurred yesterday evening with Channel 4 showing the US Open Final live at 9 p.m. (thereby cancelling a repeat of Deadpool and moving the premiere of Mortal Engines to midnight), entirely because of Emma Raducanu becoming the first British woman to reach the final and win the tournament in 44 years. That turned out to be a simulcast taken from an Amazon Prime feed, who owned the rights to the tournament. I wonder how much it cost Channel 4 to do emergency negotiations with Amazon to get the right to broadcast it? Apparently a "seven figure sum" at least.
___

And here's an update to the BBCs shake up of arts coverage on radio and television: the Film Programme has been axed from Radio 4 but is being replaced by a new series on film called Screenshot hosted by Mark Kermode and a dedicated programme about music called Add To Playlist. (I still would much prefer a roundtable film discussion programme in the vein of the old Late Review/Newsnight Review programme)

The Front Row programme on Radio 4 is getting extended from 30 minutes every weeknight to 45 minutes. Hopefully that might include more in depth reviews and discussion about films and videogames! One of the main frustrations of Front Row is that there never seems to be enough time allocated for a proper in depth discussion of subjects, so hopefully this will help certain topics to not feel quite so rushed from now on. I would also like it if they ran more full epsiode single interview pieces (or add options to listen to full interviews as add ons to the podcast schedule), as those always felt like the most successful programmes of the show, mainly for the previously stated reason of being able to focus on a subject and not having to continually introduce new topics only to then have to hastily wrap up and move on from them quite so quickly.

And there is going to be a podcast series (also airing on Radio 4) called "This Cultural Life", which is also going to appear from time to time as a television programme, presumably somewhere on BBC4.