Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
dwk

Re: Passages

#9526 Post by dwk » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:42 pm

flyonthewall2983

#9527 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Big Big Train vocalist/multi-instrumentalist David Longdon. I’m a great admirer of the band’s English Electric: Full Power album, of which he is a huge presence on. He had a really distinctive voice and the range to either go big or intimate with little in terms of wasted motion of his voice, like Peter Gabriel or Robert Plant in later years.

On top of that he seemed like a really nice guy in interviews, and a very studied guy too. I’m shocked and saddened by this news.

yoloswegmaster

#9528 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:51 am

beamish14

#9529 Post by beamish14 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:43 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:51 am
Emi Wada
An incredible talent. Her work on The Bride with White Hair and collaborations with Peter Greenaway are just sublime.

Apperson

#9530 Post by Apperson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:26 pm

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#9531 Post by soundchaser » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:47 pm

Jeez, what a loss. And he was supposedly working on a new show, too. :(

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#9532 Post by Timec » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:36 pm

Apperson wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:26 pm
Stephen Sondheim
Nooooo...

I know his work isn't to everyone's taste, but he was one of those artists who seemed to be on my exact wavelength. So many of his songs resonate with me on a deeply personal level, even after hearing them for the thousandth time.

His ability to express complex, often contradictory emotions and paint incisive psychological portraits in just a few lines was unrivalled in musical theater.

I really hope we still get a chance to hear his score for the new show he was working on, in some form or another.

Big Ben

#9533 Post by Big Ben » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:19 pm

I don't even really know what to say. I loved Sondheim dearly. It's like an era has just ended.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9534 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:44 pm

We were talking with our 30-something sons -- and they agreed that they have no memories of life before Sondheim. They had (probably still have) most of the shows pretty much memorized.

hearthesilence

#9535 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 pm

Tremendous loss, it really does feel like an end of an era.

A friend of mine got me into a talk he gave to a small theater class about ten years ago, and one thing he stressed was that the best new work was being done OFF Broadway, stating that the Broadway he came up in was gone and never coming back. He was a huge fan of The Book of Mormon, but he said it was the exception that proves the rule - Broadway's exclusively for jukebox musicals or movie adaptations (or for established entertainers with a LOT of popularity and clout like the South Park guys).

That was just one moment in a glorious talk. I'm not a musical theater buff - everything I loved about stage musicals I got from specific film musicals and jazz recordings - so until then he was someone I highly respected, not someone who produced stuff I adored, but I was blown away by how articulate, funny and intelligent he was, especially when it came to dissecting his own work.

artfilmfan

#9536 Post by artfilmfan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Very sad news. Upon reading this news, I immediately wanted to hear “Send In The Clowns” again.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9537 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:02 am

So, our family listened to Company -- and then watched the New York City Opera production of A Little Night Music.

ianthemovie

#9538 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:45 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:02 am
So, our family listened to Company -- and then watched the New York City Opera production of A Little Night Music.
That production of A Little Night Music is absolutely superb. It was Regina Resnick's interpretation of "Liaisons" that finally helped me to appreciate the exquisite tone of that song, after always skipping it when I would listen to the original cast recording on CD. It's as if she is fondly turning over memories of past lovers like old and well-worn pieces of jewelry being taken out of a box. I hope to watch it again tomorrow. Today I've been listening to and watching highlights from the 2011 revival of Company, the 2013 Toulon production of Follies, and A Stephen Sondheim Evening, which contains what I think are some of the definitive renditions of his songs, including a lovely, simple, quiet version of "Send In the Clowns" by Angela Lansbury with Sondheim himself accompanying her on piano, perhaps my favorite version of that much-covered piece.

It was just about twenty years ago that I first encountered and fell in love with Sondheim's music ("Not While I'm Around") in a chorus I belonged to at the time. The following year I was lucky enough to appear in a local production of Into the Woods--a pretty amateurish production, but the material was pure joy. There is a reason why so many professional singers love his work. It is challenging, complex, and affords endless rewards to those who study it. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that he was the Shakespeare of the musical theatre world. He has left behind a body of work that stands in a class by itself. Every one of his musicals is a masterpiece or near-masterpiece, each is completely distinct from the others, and yet they were all unmistakably his.

The only one I still have never seen or listened to is Passion. I bought the DVD some years ago and never got around to watching it. Maybe subconsciously I was saving it for now.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9539 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Pacific Overtures is my favorite show of his -- and it was a catalyst for my becoming a Japanese movie fan. (I had next to no interest in Japan prior to encountering this show). I love almost all his shows -- but (alas) I never was able to develop a passion for Passion.

ianthemovie

#9540 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:44 pm

Pacific Overtures is a very good show but one that I never fully appreciated until I finally saw it performed at Boston's Lyric Stage a couple of years ago. I was familiar with the songs from the soundtrack but they were so much more powerful when seen in context of a full production.

I will temper my expectations of Passion. I don't expect I'll cherish it the way I do A Little Night Music or Company or Sweeney Todd. But it is a small joy to know that I have one Sondheim left to discover.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#9541 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 pm

We saw Pacific Overtures twice -- one at the North Shore Music Theater (where a college friend was the music director for the production) and on off-Broadway. The NSMT production was, overall, more impressive. Alas, we never got to the Lyric Stage production (though we have seen most of their Sondheim productions). All of Sondheim's shows have to be seen to be comprehended... As nice as recordings may be, they really don't give an accurate picture of even the musical side of the shows.

FrauBlucher

#9542 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:04 pm

I've been curious about the possible Criterion release of I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang. One of the names I've been paying attention to was Scott Allen Nollen who wrote many books on film, including the 2016 book, The Making and Influence of I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang. Periodically I would check out his twitter page to see if he hinted at any Criterion release where they would use him for supplements.

Unfortunately my latest search for him I sadly discovered that he passed in August.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#9543 Post by soundchaser » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:52 pm

Passion is deliberately off-putting for a lot of its runtime, but once you get to grips with the subject matter and style you’ll find some of Sondheim’s most beautiful and intricate melodies. It and Merrily We Roll Along deserve more love than they get.

Pavel

#9544 Post by Pavel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Virgil Abloh, creator of the fashion brand Off-White and artistic director of Louis Vuitton men's wear.

MichaelB

#9545 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:39 am

Anthony Smith was about as far from a household name as you can get, but it's safe to say that the BFI and Channel 4 would have turned out very differently without his huge input.

Aunt Peg

#9546 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:56 am

Broken link
Last edited by Aunt Peg on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mizo

#9547 Post by mizo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Arlene Dahl (aka my grandmother's first cousin - back in the day, my grandmother and her sisters would make the pilgrimage to dreary family get-togethers just for a short visit with their glamorous relative)

Adam X

#9548 Post by Adam X » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 am

With respect to his passing, Aunt Peg, you may wish to change the name you used in your above post (the link's also broken).

David Dalaithngu's obituary by Guardian Australia's Indigenous Affairs editor, Lorena Allam, who explains in the comments the reason behind the different name used:
Naming and depicting people who have died is often prohibited under Yolngu customary law and the mourning period may last for weeks, months or years. During this time, different names will be used for the person who has died, and often for those named after them. This protocol is common among many different Aborignal nations around the country. In David's case, the family has asked that he be known as Dalaithngu for the mourning period. Given his international fame, they have said that using his image is ok, just not his former name. "David" was the name given to him by missionaries when he was a small boy.

Aunt Peg

#9549 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 pm

Adam X wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 am
With respect to his passing, Aunt Peg, you may wish to change the name you used in your above post (the link's also broken).

David Dalaithngu's obituary by Guardian Australia's Indigenous Affairs editor, Lorena Allam, who explains in the comments the reason behind the different name used:
Naming and depicting people who have died is often prohibited under Yolngu customary law and the mourning period may last for weeks, months or years. During this time, different names will be used for the person who has died, and often for those named after them. This protocol is common among many different Aborignal nations around the country. In David's case, the family has asked that he be known as Dalaithngu for the mourning period. Given his international fame, they have said that using his image is ok, just not his former name. "David" was the name given to him by missionaries when he was a small boy.
Thanks Adam - I've deleted the post.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#9550 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:49 pm

According to social media, Alvin Lucier has passed away. An incredible composer of some of the greatest music of the second half of the twentieth century. I Am Sitting in a Room and Music on a Thin Wire are foundational works of electi acoustic music.