Festival Circuit 2022

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Festival Circuit 2022

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:33 pm

I'll keep this post updated with program, jury, awards, and other relevant information on the major film festivals as the year in fests continues to develop. If you're lucky enough to be able to attend one of these (or another local or specialty festival), let the rest of us know which films to keep an eye on!

UPDATED 9/10/2022

2022 Sundance Film Festival (Jan. 20 - Jan. 30): Program / Awards
Notable premieres: 2nd Chance (Bahrani); Am I OK? (Notaro); Call Jane (Nagy); Dual (Stearns); Hatching (Bergholm); Lucy & Desi (Poehler); Master (Diallo); Nanny (Jusu); Navalny (Roher); Resurrection (Semans); Sharp Stick (Dunham); Watcher (Okuno); When You Finish Saving the World (Eisenberg); You Won't Be Alone (Stolevski)

72nd Berlin International Film Festival (Feb. 10 - Feb. 20): Program / Jury (President: M. Night Shyamalan) / Awards (Golden Bear: Alcarràs)
Notable premieres: Alcarràs (Simón); Avec amour et acharnement (Denis); Coma (Bonello); Dark Glasses (Argento); Everything Will Be OK (Panh); Flux Gourmet (Strickland); Incroyable mas vrai (Dupieux); The Novelist's Film (Hong);Les passagers de la nuit (Hers); Peter von Kant (Ozon); Terminal Norte (Martel); This Much I Know to Be True (Dominik)

75th Cannes Film Festival (May 17 - May 28): Program / Jury (President: Vincent Lindon) / Awards (Palme D'or: Triangle of Sadness)
Notable premieres: Diary of a Fleeting Affair (Mouret); Don Juan (Bozon); Elvis (Luhrmann); Irma Vep [2022] (Assayas); Three Thousand Years of Longing (Miller); Top Gun: Maverick (Kosinski); War Pony (Keough; Gammell)
Competition: Armageddon Time (Gray); Bora Bora (Serra); Broker (Kore-eda); Brother and Sister (Desplechin); Close (Dhont); Crimes of the Future (Cronenberg); Decision to Leave (Park); Eo (Skolimowski); Holy Spider (Abbasi); RMN (Mungiu); Showing Up (Reichardt); Stars at Noon (Denis); Tori and Lokita (Dardennes); Triangle of Sadness (Östlund);

79th Venice International Film Festival (Aug. 31 - Sep. 10): Program / Jury (President: Julianne Moore) / Awards (Golden Lion: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed; Silver Lion: Saint Omer)
Notable premieres:
Competition: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (Poitras); Argentina, 1985 (Mitre); Athena (Gavras); The Banshees of Inisherin (McDonagh); Bardo, or a False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (Iñarritu); Blonde (Dominik); Bones and All (Guadagnino); A Couple (Wiseman); The Eternal Daughter (Hogg); Love Life (Fukada); No Bears (Panahi); Saint Omer (Diop); The Son (Zeller) TÁR (Field); The Whale (Aronofsky); White Noise (Baumbach)

Out of Competition: Call of God (Kim); A Compassionate Spy (James); Copenhagen Cowboy (Winding Refn)Dead for a Dollar (Hill); Don’t Worry Darling (Wilde); The Kyiv Trial (Losznitsa); Master Gardener (Schrader); Nuclear (Stone); Pearl (West); Riget Exodus (von Trier); When the Waves are Gone (Diaz)

49th Telluride Film Festival (Sep. 2 - Sep. 5): Program
Notable premieres: The Corridors of Power (Moreh); Empire of Light (Mendes); Good Night Oppy (White); Retrograde (Heineman); Russia [1985-1999] Traumazone (Curtis); Squaring the Circle (Corbijn); Sr. (Smith); Women Talking (Polley); The Wonder (Lelio)

2022 Toronto International Film Festival (Sep. 8 - Sep. 18): Program / Awards (People's Choice: The Fabelmans)
Notable premieres: Catherine Called Birdy (Dunham); The Fabelmans (Spielberg); Glass Onion (Johnson); Walk Up (Hong); The Woman King (Prince-Bythewood)

60th New York Film festival (Sep. 23 - Oct. 9): Program
Notable Premieres: She Said (Schrader); Till (Chukwu)

Opening Night - White Noise (Baumbach)
Centerpiece - All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (Poitras)
Closing Night - The Inspection (Bratton)

DarkImbecile

Re: Festival Circuit 2022

#2 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Kicking off this thread as usual with the release of the 2022 Sundance program, including new films from Riley Stearns, Lena Dunham, Michel Hazanavicius, Ramin Bahrani, Tig Notaro, Phyllis Nagy, Amy Poehler, and Jesse Eisenberg

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 pm

Glad to see forum favorite ::kogonada's follow-up to Columbus finally entering the circuit too

DarkImbecile

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:28 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:03 pm

Lincoln Center’s annual Rendez-Vous with French Cinema will run from March 3-13

DarkImbecile

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:17 pm

Sundance cancels in-person festival, going fully virtual

I had already bought a ticket package a few weeks ago, but my understanding is that single-film streaming tickets will be available tomorrow morning, if anyone’s interested

The Fanciful Norwegian

#7 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:12 pm

Single tickets go on sale January 13th, or the 12th for members of the Sundance Institute.

DarkImbecile

#8 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:27 pm

DarkImbecile

#10 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 am

Berlin announces Competition titles, including new films from Hong Sangsoo, Rithy Panh, and Claire Denis (and a new title for her entry).

Other premieres include new films from Peter Strickland, Bertrand Bonello, Andrew Dominik (not Blonde), Lucrecia Martel, and Dario Argento.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:01 pm

Biggest buzz film out of Sundance so far is the ridiculously titled Cha Cha Real Smooth, followed by the remake of Ikiru with Bill Nighy and the Emma Thompson sex comedy. A volcano documentary was the first bidding war, presumably driven by current events

DarkImbecile

Re: Awards Season 2021

#12 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:55 pm

Sundance 2022 award winners, for which tickets for online screenings this weekend are now on sale

EDIT: Now in the correct thread!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm

Navalny by all accounts is the film we’ll be hearing the most about in the coming year, for anyone prioritizing

DarkImbecile

#14 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm
Navalny by all accounts is the film we’ll be hearing the most about in the coming year, for anyone prioritizing
I’ll write that up soon, but I don’t know that there’s actually that much new in it; it’s dramatic, especially if you didn’t really follow the events as they happened over the last couple years, but not as groundbreaking as you might hope from a project that was kept secret until the day before it premiered. Looks like it’ll be unfortunately topical over the next six weeks in particular, of course…

DarkImbecile

#15 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:46 pm

SXSW film lineup to include new Linklater, Daniels, and Ti West films

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:57 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:46 pm
SXSW film lineup to include new Linklater, Daniels, and Ti West films
God, who wrote some of these capsules?
Think Don’t Breathe meets Squid Games, but… black.
Inspired by a true story. Like, this literally happened to me.

Shanzam

#17 Post by Shanzam » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:49 pm

Not sure if there's a separate Oscar nominations thread. In any case, I'm running behind on the news about it and still need to watch most of the movies mentioned.

DarkImbecile

#18 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:16 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:03 pm
Lincoln Center’s annual Rendez-Vous with French Cinema will run from March 3-13
Lineup announced. Desplechin, Denis, Binoche, Amalric, Audiard, and more in person

Shanzam

#20 Post by Shanzam » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:18 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:16 pm
See this thread
Thanks!

Dr Amicus

#21 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:43 pm

BFI Flare - some of the screenings are available for home viewing (which means I should be able to use my BFI member free tickets), Boulevard! A Hollywood Story looks interesting - anyone seen it?

DarkImbecile

#22 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:24 pm

Berlinale award winners, including Claire Denis for Best Director, Silver Bear Grand Jury winner Hong Sang-soo, and Golden Bear winner Carla Simòn for Alcarràs

lzx

#23 Post by lzx » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:39 pm

Someone tweeted that the current holders of the Golden Bear, Lion, and Palm are all European women born in the 1980s who won for their second features. Fascinating pattern there

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#24 Post by Omensetter » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:32 am

No offense to Simón, but they may as well have finally given the top prize to Hong. His films have won in every slot except for the top! He's pretty well the Dardennes of Berlin, minus winning the Golden, let alone twice.