Recent Film Restorations

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Recent Film Restorations

#776 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:48 am
A few years ago, the legendary 1982 opus The Man Who Saved The World (aka Turkish Star Wars) had a small-scale UK cinema release - but they didn't charge admission. From what I gather, George Lucas is well aware of that film's existence, but has opted not do do anything unless people are seen to be making money out of it - although even aside from the purloined Star Wars footage, that film is a music-rights lawyer's wet dream. That actually did get a paid-for BD-R release not long ago, but presumably the distributors were aware of the risks they were taking, and it was for a limited time only.
Never heard of this before, and it's up on archive.org!

Anyway, I think it's a similar deal with the homemade Raiders of the Lost Ark remake where the studio and the filmmakers hold all the cards but in an act of benevolence have allowed it to exist AND be shown under severely limiting terms. IIRC Lucas couldn't care less if the film was wiped out of existence but Spielberg was flattered and had a much kinder view about it.

senseabove

#777 Post by senseabove » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:58 am

I jokingly asked elsewhere how long it would be before the Superstar restoration leaked, and apparently the answer is "quite a while," as I was informed it actually screened in 2018 at the Orphan Film Symposium.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#778 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:11 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 am
Anyway, I think it's a similar deal with the homemade Raiders of the Lost Ark remake where the studio and the filmmakers hold all the cards but in an act of benevolence have allowed it to exist AND be shown under severely limiting terms. IIRC Lucas couldn't care less if the film was wiped out of existence but Spielberg was flattered and had a much kinder view about it.
Disney also allows Escape from Tomorrow to exist, even acknowledging it on their official fan club website!
MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:48 am
Also, a court made the no-distribution decision, yes? Can't another court just un-Roe it?
On what grounds? As it currently stands, the film is wall to wall copyright infringement, and I can't see how there'd be any wiggle room.
Some strain of fair use doctrine? I think a case could at least be made for the right to screen it without turning a profit

GaryC

#779 Post by GaryC » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm

I saw Superstar at the BFI Southbank back in 2002 - it was a surprise item following a Q&A with Haynes and Julianne Moore following a preview screening of Far from Heaven. My reasoning was (I'm not a lawyer) that what we had paid for was the Q&A so no commercial transaction had taken place regarding Superstar. It wasn't announced beforehand, and I only found out at the start of the Q&A when the woman from the BFI introduced the evening and said there would be a surprise at the end of it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#780 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:09 pm

Would the Carpenter estate have any legal standing if a non-U.S. company tried to release Superstar? Or if, say, the UK still had laws against it, is there another country where a release could still happen? For instance, it's my understanding that Song of the South is considered to be in the public domain in Japan, which has provided a decent source for bootleg Blu-rays of the film

Calvin

#781 Post by Calvin » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:19 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:09 pm
Would the Carpenter estate have any legal standing if a non-U.S. company tried to release Superstar? Or if, say, the UK still had laws against it, is there another country where a release could still happen? For instance, it's my understanding that Song of the South is considered to be in the public domain in Japan, which has provided a decent source for bootleg Blu-rays of the film
I suspect that Song of the South is probably still copyrighted in Japan; my understanding of TRIPS and the Berne Convention is that, under international law, if a work is under copyright by a citizen or company of one of the signatories then it is recognised by all signatories of the convention.

hearthesilence

#782 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:50 pm

After 70 years, does the film's music enter into the public domain in the UK and the EU, in which case it could be releasable?

EDIT: I guess it's actually 70 years after Richard passes away.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#783 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:05 pm

Calvin wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:19 pm
I suspect that Song of the South is probably still copyrighted in Japan; my understanding of TRIPS and the Berne Convention is that, under international law, if a work is under copyright by a citizen or company of one of the signatories then it is recognised by all signatories of the convention.
That's what the Berne Convention says, but domestic law in Japan doesn't conform to it even though Japan is a signatory. Back in 2006 Paramount sued a budget label selling unauthorized DVDs of Roman Holiday and the court ruled that films which had lapsed into the public domain before 2004 (when Japanese law extended the term from 50 to 70 years) remained in the public domain. Under that rubric, Song of the South has been public domain in Japan since the end of 1996. There was at least one DVD release in Japan, and there was also a Blu-ray labeled "Made in Japan," but the text on the packaging was entirely on English and I suspect the "Made in Japan" bit was a dodge. One complication as far as the Japanese market is concerned is that the first Japanese dub wasn't made until 1986, so that won't be public domain for a long while yet.

pianocrash

#784 Post by pianocrash » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:36 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:09 pm
Would the Carpenter estate have any legal standing if a non-U.S. company tried to release Superstar? Or if, say, the UK still had laws against it, is there another country where a release could still happen?
This would also have to do with infringing on Carpenter's music publishing licenses, which usually are arranged within the EU & other territories - but even so, the film is depicting him, and I can't imagine anyone trying to wrangle one without the other, lest lawyering up.

Matt

#785 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:05 pm

The use of recorded music in a film requires licensing both the song (the written, notated work) as well as the master recording. It’s conceivable that Haynes could license the songs but not the recordings and make sound-alike recordings for the two dozen or so songs that appear in the film. But that would be expensive and rather against the aims of the film itself.

At some point, Richard Carpenter will die, all the songwriters and performers of all these songs will die, and the mutual funds that own or will own all these rights will not have a personal investment in continuing to deny permission for use of the music. Then the film can be released, the Broadway musical version will be produced, and a lot of people unconnected with the Carpenters or Haynes will be made even wealthier.

Stefan Andersson

#786 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:35 pm

Clara Law´s Floating Life restored:
https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2022 ... ating-life

Stefan Andersson

#787 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:53 pm

Wim Wenders on restoring his films:
https://lwlies.com/interviews/wim-wende ... -the-film/
Discusses OCN of Wings of Desire, music rights for Goalkeeper´s Anxiety and other subjects.

Calvin

#789 Post by Calvin » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:34 pm

Stefan Andersson

#790 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:32 pm

Program for the 2022 Stummfilmtage in Bonn - includes a Photoplay resto of Mark of Zorro (1920), Meinert´s Laster der Menschheit (new reconstruction), Gunnar Hedes saga (new resto), Atlantis (1913) in 4K, Moral (Willi Wolff, Germany 1928, new resto):

https://www.foerderverein-filmkultur.de ... ge2022.pdf
https://www.foerderverein-filmkultur.de ... ramm-2022/

Ribs

#791 Post by Ribs » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:15 am

Big Ben

#792 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:39 am

Hopefully that restoration of The Profound Desire of the Gods is a sign that it will eventually be getting a home media release here in the states.

L.A.

#793 Post by L.A. » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:07 pm

andyli

#794 Post by andyli » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:41 am

Ribs wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:15 am
Venice Classics 2022 line-up
As usual they don't provide specs for these restorations. We do know The Draughtsman's Contract is BFI's 4K resto, and the Ozu, Yang, and Eustache should be brand new. The Ear may or may not be the same as Second Run's 2019 release. Canyon Passage and The Black Cat could also be replicating their most recent blu-ray transfers (I'd love to be wrong on both counts, though). I'm most curious about the two Nikkatsu productions. Fingers crossed that they are brand-new 4k restos, and translate into new blu-ray/4k releases.

afilmcionado

#795 Post by afilmcionado » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:16 am

The 46th HKIFF just announced six restorations

Obviously, we already knew about the Infernal Affairs trilogy and Boat People that were acquired by Janus. Interestingly, Millennium Mambo and Suzhou River are listed alongside them. I wonder if they’re available/have been snapped up by Janus as well?

JakeStewart

#796 Post by JakeStewart » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:31 pm

À nous la liberté was recently given a 4K restoration and is streaming on the Channel in its restored version.

andyli

#797 Post by andyli » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:52 pm

JakeStewart wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:31 pm
À nous la liberté was recently given a 4K restoration and is streaming on the Channel in its restored version.
Not just that. Four René Clair films (Sous les toits de Paris, À nous la liberté, Le million, Les Grandes Manœuvres) have recently received 4k restos and had Japanese blu-ray releases.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#798 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:14 am

Les grandes manoeuvres also had a French BD.

Stefan Andersson

#799 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:03 pm

Capricci Films, France, will re-release in Sept. 2022 these German Douglas Sirk films, restored by F W Murnau-Stiftung:
LA FILLE DES MARAIS (Das Mädchen vom Moorhof) – 1935, restauration 2K
APRIL, APRIL ! – 1935, restauration 2K
LES PILIERS DE LA SOCIÉTÉ (Stützen der Gesellschaft) – 1935, restauration 2K
LA NEUVIÈME SYMPHONIE (Schlußakkord) – 1936, restauration 2K
DU MÊME TITRE (Das Hofkonzert) – 1936, restauration 4K
PARAMATTA, BAGNE DE FEMMES (Zu neuen Ufern) – 1936, restauration 2K
LA HABANERA – 1936, restauration 2K
Source: https://capricci.fr/wordpress/product/r ... glas-sirk/
Also: https://www.cinematheque.fr/cycle/dougl ... 2-969.html

Calvin

#800 Post by Calvin » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:48 pm