New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#601 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:53 pm

Against all financial wisdom and common sense,The Boondock Saints III, starring Norman Reedus and (co-writer) Sean Patrick Flanery and directed by Troy Duffy, will begin filming next year

cantinflas

#602 Post by cantinflas » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 am

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#603 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:39 am

Kyle Buchanan’s NYT piece on the relative boom in black-and-white cinematography includes this nugget on Alfonso Cuarón’s next project:

The Fanciful Norwegian

#605 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Tucked away in this Hollywood Reporter article on Taiwan's aspirations as an international production hub is the surprising detail that Abderrahmane Sissako is preparing to shoot a film there, after deciding not to do it in China because of all the restrictions he would've faced.

Walter Kurtz

#608 Post by Walter Kurtz » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:59 pm

Maybe I'm too old-school but I'd find the Jones biopic more promisingly written if it was by the Anna Karenina and War & Peace scribe. The original scribe, that is.

therewillbeblus

#609 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:09 am

In all seriousness, I am excited to see Leo play the cult leader- especially given his best performance is still the manifestation of mad charisma in Wolf of Wall Street

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#612 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:13 pm

A24 and HBO to develop cult TV series The Idol that also functions as a who's who of people in mini-major film now: the series, created (and perhaps co-written) by Sam Levinson and directed by Amy Seimetz, will star rapper The Weeknd, Lily-Rose Depp, and Red Rocket's Suzanna Son.

therewillbeblus

#613 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:02 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:13 pm
A24 and HBO...Sam Levinson... Amy Seimetz... Suzanna Son
I'm overstimulated right now, the entertainment industry is making too many perfect choices so close together

The Fanciful Norwegian

#615 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:17 am

Vincent Gallo is back... in a D.J. Caruso film produced by the Daily Wire

therewillbeblus

#616 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 pm

Tom Holland to play Fred Astaire in upcoming biopic

Wasn't Fred Astaire famously adamant against having his life portrayed on film, to the point of putting a clause in his will stipulating this wish?

Edit: A quick trip to Wikipedia confirms exactly this, but I wonder if the project will encounter any red tape around it..

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#617 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 am

There's a rider though for backsies if they can manage to wrangle the third actor to portray Spider-man

The Fanciful Norwegian

#618 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:59 pm

A provision like that isn't enforceable. California law does allow a celebrity's "right of publicity" to be passed down to their heirs for 70 years after their death, but that only applies to purely commercial ventures like merchandising or endorsements (e.g. the vacuum cleaner commercial that Astaire's widow signed off on in the '90s, over the objections of his daughter). Blocking someone from producing a film (or book or TV series, etc.) based on the publicly-known facts of a person's life would violate the First Amendment unless it were judged defamatory, which is irrelevant for deceased subjects since under U.S. law that only applies to living persons. Astaire's estate could tie it up with a lawsuit but it would ultimately go against them.

Matt

#619 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:24 pm

And as usual, it's one of two competing biopic projects, the other starring another former Billy Elliot, Jamie Bell (with Margaret Qualley as Ginger Rogers‽)

Robert Chipeska

#621 Post by Robert Chipeska » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:50 pm

For the very reasons I dislike all of his films - style over substance, shallow attempts at thematic or character weight, etc. - I can't think of a better director for this book. The book is entirely, literally, about an empty shell (the arriving spacecraft) so if he continues on course, the result could almost be a truly avant-garde SF film, something akin to Robbe-Grillet or Antonioni's "surface" films. If he's smart, he'll avoid the unnecessary addition of plot contrivance or motivation, and refrain from casting any strong personalities, opting instead for simple observation of space and the movement of bodies. I don't know much about modern video games, but the book seems very much a forerunner of games I've read about where all you do is explore a world - no conflict, no other characters, etc.

I remember when Fincher was attached, and am now glad he never made the film; this director seems a smarter choice.

Mr Sausage

#622 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:46 am

They actually did make a video game of it back in the day, tho' it was a Myst-style point-and-click, solve-difficult-logical-puzzles type thing. Not quite open world, but close-ish.

therewillbeblus

#623 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:33 am

Christopher Landon's next feature will be We Have a Ghost, starring Jennifer Coolidge, David Harbour, Anthony Mackie, Tom Bower, and Tig Notaro, adapted from a Vice short story with the following synopsis per IMDb:
A man claims to have befriended a mostly harmless ghost who bears a likeness to the actor Ernest Borgnine and becomes famous on the Internet.

senseabove

#624 Post by senseabove » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:10 pm

A rundown by David Hudson for the Criterion Daily of films to look forward to in 2022.

Buried in there is that the producer of Baumbach's White Noise has also bought the film rights to DeLillo's Underworld...

therewillbeblus

#625 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:49 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Buried in there is that the producer of Baumbach's White Noise has also bought the film rights to DeLillo's Underworld...
Well, that's my favorite novel, period, but... I don't know if I want to see that. Maybe a miniseries, though the strengths are in the prose and internal existential thoughts vs. actions. White Noise is a much better book to adapt.