New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
therewillbeblus

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#576 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:21 pm

David Yates will make a sharp turn following latest Harry Potter-world film to direct opioid dram(edy?)

I haven't seen Yates' smaller-scale dramatic debut, so he may know what he's doing, but when a sensationalist, whimsical director is helming a script being compared to Wolf of Wall Street and as a drama tackling the Opioid Epidemic, there are more than a few red flags that arise and make me expect this to be offensive on some level.

Mr Sausage

#577 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 pm

I haven’t seen any of it really, but his tv work for the BBC seems quite hard hitting, tackling sex trafficking and political conspiracies, among other things. Yates may be on solider ground than his Potter work would suggest.

therewillbeblus

#578 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:44 pm

That's good to hear- I know he's tried to emulate Spielberg in a lot of ways (I believe through self-admission) since his earlier career, so I'm still not convinced he'll return to that mode even if he can. We'll see

thirtyframesasecond

#579 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 pm
I haven’t seen any of it really, but his tv work for the BBC seems quite hard hitting, tackling sex trafficking and political conspiracies, among other things. Yates may be on solider ground than his Potter work would suggest.
The BBC mini-series, State of Play, was superb - remade as the much less decent Affleck/Crowe film of course.

bad future

#581 Post by bad future » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:10 pm

I really love Tilman Singer’s previous feature Luz… kind of a film school demo vibe but in the best (or at least most ‘my shit’) kind of way. 70 minutes of fun with mise en scene, editing, effective low budget fx and queer demonic possession in mostly a single location. With this cast I suspect I will love his followup even if it’s a disaster.

therewillbeblus

#582 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:47 pm

That's good to hear, I hadn't heard of Luz but immediately rented it from my lib. The world needs Hunter Schafer's career to take off- this is such great news

diamonds

#584 Post by diamonds » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:22 am

Should've been Soderbergh

senseabove

#585 Post by senseabove » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:25 pm

Ozon's next film will be a remake/reworking of The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant, though apparently it's titled Peter von Kant, stars Denis Ménochet as Fassbinder himself and Isabelle Adjani as, presumably, Petra. So given those details, I wonder if this will be a "behind the scenes" adaptation that also explores Fassbinder and Hermann's relationship?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#586 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Armageddon Time, James Gray's next feature, will start filming next month in NYC - in addition to the previously named cast, Anthony Hopkins is also in it, and Darius Khondji is lensing it
Production magazine synopsisShow
Queens, New York, the 1980s. 12-year-old Paul Graff is growing up in a warm and rowdy family that includes his grandfather, who encourages his artistic aspirations. His best friend is John Crocker, an African-American boy. The two are inseparable and prone to mischief, but after an incident in which John and Paul share "tea that makes you laugh," Paul's parents decide to transfer him to the private prep school his older brother Ted attends. Here, the student body is almost exclusively white, privileged, and prejudiced (it's also Donald Trump's alma mater). Together, the boys concoct a risky scheme to escape their lives and run away to Florida.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#587 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:23 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:22 pm
Not quite "in production," but I got to wondering what Darezhan Omirbaev has been up to since Student came out in 2012 (besides teaching at film school). Turns out he gave an interview in April where he revealed his next film will be an adaptation of the Hermann Hesse story "Autorenabend," relocated to Kazakhstan and addressing Omirbaev's fear that the Kazakh language might soon die out. Unfortunately the planned shoot was delayed by the coronavirus.
So this is called Poet and it premieres in November at the Tokyo International Film Festival, which is an... unexpected venue. There's an unsubtitled trailer on Youtube.

yoloswegmaster

#588 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Tilda Swinton has joined the cast, and shooting will begin next year.

ianthemovie

#589 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:02 pm

I'm not sure how I missed this, but Todd Haynes' long-gestating biopic of Peggy Lee is apparently back in pre-production, now titled Fever and with Michelle Williams attached (and Billie Eilish as a potential executive producer). This was a few months before Haynes announced his film with Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, though, so it's unclear which of these will come first.

The Narrator Returns

#590 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:21 pm

Haynes says Fever is going to shoot early next year, I don't know what the status of the Moore-Portman movie is but I imagine it isn't shooting before that.

therewillbeblus

#592 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 pm

David Gordon Green will direct all three films, following production on his third Halloween entry, and in all likelihood proceed to ruin another horror classic's serial

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#593 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:18 pm

When will they green light the remaining installments of his Manglehorn Quadrilogy?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#594 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:22 pm

The "long-awaited" sequel to History Of The World, Part I will be made as a television series at Hulu, with nonagenarian Mel Brooks set to produce and write (!)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#596 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:40 pm

Which of those two is Ryan Gosling?

Finch

#598 Post by Finch » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am

Woo to make another US film, a "dialogue free" action film with Joel Kinnaman

Pity it's not in HK with Tony Leung or Chow Yun-Fat..

thirtyframesasecond

#599 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:18 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am
Woo to make another US film, a "dialogue free" action film with Joel Kinnaman

Pity it's not in HK with Tony Leung or Chow Yun-Fat..
Probably the best way to cast Kinnaman tbf.

yoloswegmaster

#600 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:26 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 pm
Tilda Swinton has joined the cast, and shooting will begin next year.
Never mind, shooting started today in Paris. :D