Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#1176 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:15 am

Really interesting next week, with jlnight having noted the big new films aside from Channel 4 premiering Jumanji: The Next Level at 6:45 p.m. on Sunday 25th:

It is really Film4's week with Ray & Liz is showing at 11.20 p.m. on Monday 26th. The Western The Kid is showing at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 27th (I had not realised that Vincent D'Onofrio had directed a film! And this is his second, following 2010's horror/musical(!) Don't Go In The Woods, which I'd like to see some time!).

The most exciting screening of the week however is Chinese film Savage (with Chang Chen from A Brighter Summer Day, Happy Together, The Assassin and The Grandmaster!) on Film4 at 11:15 p.m. on Thursday 29th.

A few notable things repeat-wise too: Ken Russell's entry into the Michael Caine Harry Palmer spy series, Billion Dollar Brain is showing on Film4 at 4:45 p.m. on Saturday 24th and 5 p.m. on Friday 30th. Dangerous Liaisons is showing on BBC2 at 10 p.m. on Sunday 25th. The Crying Game is getting its first television showing for a while on Film4 at 11:10 p.m. on Wednesday 28th. And in a nice coincidence after our recent discussion of the film The Blue Dahlia is getting a screening on Film4 at 1:15 p.m. on Thursday 29th.

But it is particularly surprising to see The Blair Witch Project get shown on television for the first time since the mid 2000s. The last time it was shown (I think the only time?) was on Channel 4 and now almost twenty years later it is about to appear on the mainstream UK television channel, BBC1, at 11:35 p.m. on Friday 30th.

colinr0380

#1177 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Spending rather a lot of time watching the children's programming channel CBBC continues to pay off beyond We Bare Bears and Summer Camp Island with the bizarre (yet strangely appropriate!) sight of Toni Collette turning up as the big baddie in the last episode of the Odd Squad series. You can briefly see her burying kids up to their necks in sand in this promo.

(Also I spent the last few weeks wondering why the programmes seemed so strange, only to realise that it was because the CBBC channel is the only one that leaves the end credits on shows intact instead of squashing them down and having a continuity announcer witter all over them!)

jlnight

#1178 Post by jlnight » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 am

Twins of Evil, Fri 30th Apr, Talking Pictures. Also late Mon 3rd May.

The Sky-Bike (CFF), Sat 1st May, Talking Pictures.
Demetrius and the Gladiators, Sat 1st May, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 4th May.
The Hot Rock, Sat 1st May, Talking Pictures.
The Chain, Sat 1st May, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 3rd May. (been on London Live)
To Die For (1995), Sat 1st May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 5th May.
Dealers (1989), Sat 1st May, London Live. (seemingly on tomorrow!)
The Beach Bum, Sat 1st May, Film4.

The Age of Innocence (1977), Sun 2nd May, Talking Pictures.
The Seasoning House, late Sun 2nd May, London Live.

Rank's Look at Life shorts start on Talking Pictures on Mon 26th Apr.

Talking Pictures also have no credit squashing or continuity announcers over the soundtrack. London Live on the other hand have a banner in the corner of the screen telling the viewer what is up next as well as credit squashing (telling us what is next!). It is a shame because they have dug up some rare films down the years.

colinr0380

#1179 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:41 pm

Just a few items of note next week: the big film is probably the premiere of Harmony Korine's The Beach Bum (NSFW) on Film4 at 11.20 p.m. on Saturday 1st. Though I am actually more curious about Tulip Fever on BBC2 at 10 p.m. on Bank Holiday Monday. Although that is scheduled to immediately follow the final of the Snooker Championship, which always causes the schedule to overrun and later programmes to get delayed or cancelled, so I am preparing for it to not be shown!

The 2019 Pet Sematary remake is showing on Channel 4 at 10 p.m. on Sunday 2nd. And in stark contrast hidden away on the CITV channel at 9 a.m. on Bank Holiday Monday is the premiere of Playmobil: The Movie!

A few interesting repeats: the original Danish version of The Killing is getting repeated from the beginning on BBC4 with the first three episodes of the first series showing in a row from 9 p.m. on Saturday 1st. Citizen Kane gets two showings over the week on BBC2 on Saturday (with a collection of Orson Welles archive interviews preceding it) and on BBC4 at 8 p.m. on Thursday (followed by a repeat of Mark Cousins' The Eyes of Orson Welles), The Bells of St Mary's gets shown on Film4 at 3:40 p.m. on Thursday 6th (apparently the first freeview channel showing in over a decade), and BBC1 is showing When Harry Met Sally at 10.50 p.m. on Friday 7th, which I think is the first showing of that film on the main free-to-air channels since 2005!

And just when I think I cannot love that We Bare Bears series any more (this show really has a knack to how it regularly pulls off surprisingly emotionally touching and thoughtful endings to most of its episodes. For example I particularly love the early episode where Grizzly gets obsessed with wanting to get internet-famous ends with the three brothers just being happy with their own small level of fame and happily celebrating that they have at least one comment below their video, which we briefly see is just a spam message one!), we get to Ice Bear's nocturnal city adventures in Icy Nights which manages to homage the opening cruising through the city to electronic music of Drive (just with a tricked-out Roomba), the Taken and Equalizer series and the final battle of Kill Bill Vol 1 (just in a Robot Wars-style arena!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirtyframesasecond

#1180 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Woof. Tulip Fever sounds like it was a right stinker, notwithstanding the fact it was caught up in the Weinstein scandal and flopped commercially anyway. Nothing about that on paper sounds exciting from the director to the main leads (Dane DeHaan can barely act his way out of a paper bag).

colinr0380

#1181 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:54 pm

I am curious about it in the same way that I will be interested in checking out The Current War if/when it comes to television. An old school prestige, seemingly pre-destined for inevitable awards period film that went unheralded is a curio indeed, and this is presumably another one of the films that feel as if they hail from another era that also got caught up in the anti-publicity gravity well that a lot of the Weinstein Company's other films fell into during the early to mid 2010s even before the controversies that eventually destroyed the company came out into public. The issues over releases of The Grandmaster, The Immigrant and Snowpiercer particularly come to mind (I don't think that The Immigrant ever actually received an official UK theatrical or home video release, though it can apparently be streamed). BBC4 showed another one of this stable of films just last week in The Man With The Iron Heart, which was also a film that I had not been even vaguely aware of before, despite its high profile cast. Both that film and Tulip Fever both have Jack O'Connell in the cast as well.

I suppose that Tulip Fever has a screenplay by Tom Stoppard, so maybe that makes it interesting. Also, have Judi Dench and Zack Galifianakis co-starred together before this? Did she play the tiger in one of the Hangover films?

thirtyframesasecond

#1182 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 am

The Immigrant is on Prime Video, I think. I liked it, but I've liked all of the James Grey films 'til he started working with Brad Pitt (not that he isn't a good director of other people's material, but Grey's own screenplays are so personal that this is a big part of what makes his earlier films so good). Another Weinstein film that got buried that I've never got to seeing was 2010's Shanghai. A still in-his-prime John Cusack, Gong Li and Chow Yun-Fat, a Hossein Amini script, Benoit Delhomme as the DoP - should have had a lot going for it.

Tulip Fever probably would've done a lot better a decade before when the Weinstein template was the only game in town.

jlnight

#1183 Post by jlnight » Sat May 01, 2021 9:41 am

Vampire Circus (followed by Horror of Frankenstein), Fri 7th May, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 15th May.

Seventy Deadly Pills (CFF), Sat 8th May, Talking Pictures.
Blood Relatives, Sat 8th May, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 18th May.
When We Were Kings, Sat 8th May, BBC2. Or...
Shock and Awe, Sat 8th May, London Live.

Prick Up Your Ears, Sun 9th May, Talking Pictures. (last on London Live)

Capernaum (2018), Mon 10th May, Film4.

The Belstone Fox, Tue 11th My, London Live.

Harry and Tonto, Thu 13th May, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 22nd May.

Bojack Horseman is on DMAX, late Sat 1st May.
EDIT: No, Bojack Horseman did not turn up. Duff info!

colinr0380

#1184 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 am

OK, this CBBC thing is getting really fun now! On watching the live action Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster film, itself interesting because I had not realised that there had been further live action Scooby-Doo TV movie films after the two theatrical features in the early 2000s and that they were directed by Brian Levant (probably best known for the two live action Flintstones films. These Scooby-Doo films come in between those and his 2010 Jackie Chan film The Spy Next Door. And it appears that these prequel Scooby-Doo TV movies are basically doing the equivalent of what Levant had previously done with The Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas), who should appear in the cast as a zombie but Michael Berryman from The Hills Have Eyes!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1185 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 am

Very quiet next week. jlnight has noted the biggest film of the week with Capernaum on Film4 at 11:40 p.m. on Monday 10th. The only other premiere is Long Shot on BBC1 at 10:45 p.m. on Friday 14th.

Repeat-wise along with When We Were Kings on BBC2 at 10 p.m. on Saturday 8th, BBC2 are also showing the 1932 Frank Borzage version of A Farewell To Arms at 10:15 a.m. on Sunday 9th, which is the oldest film to receive a television airing so far this year.

jlnight

#1186 Post by jlnight » Sat May 08, 2021 9:12 am

Adam and Evelyne, Fri 14th May, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 20th May.
Death Line, Fri 14th May, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 21st May.

Johnny on the Run (CFF), Sat 15th May, Talking Pictures.
All Coppers Are..., Sat 15th May, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 19th May. (been on London Live)

Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and the Legendary Tapes, Sun 16th May, BBC4. (Anti-Worlds)
Sword of Trust, Sun 16th May, Film4.

Bandits (1967), Mon 17th May, Sony Movies Action.

Drowning By Numbers, late Tue 18th May, Film4. (been on before)

The Singer Not the Song, Wed 19th May, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 25th May.
Shadow of a Doubt, Wed 19th May, Sony Movies Classic.
The House of Mirth, late Wed 19th May, Film4.

Paris, Texas, Thu 20th May, Film4.

One Step Beyond starts on Talking Pictures, Tue 11th May.
Sherlock Holmes (1954) starts on Talking Pictures, Wed 12th May.

colinr0380

#1187 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:28 am

Not too bad next week. jlnight has noted the most important films, but I'll add trailers:

I forgot to mention it last week when the first two episodes were shown but BBC4's latest 'international crime drama series for Saturday nights' is the Danish series Blinded: Those Who Kill, with episode 3 & 4 showing at 9 p.m. on Saturday 15th.

Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and the Legendary Tapes is showing on BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Sunday 16th, followed by a repeat of a BBC Prom session relating to the music of the Electronic Workshop. Keeping up with the Doctor Who theme is the premiere of children's animation Wonder Park on Channel 4 at 4:20 p.m. on Sunday 16th, which apparently does that Shrek thing of re-voicing certain roles for the UK release and has changed the voice of the blue bear originally voiced (as in that linked trailer) by Ken Hudson Campbell (perhaps best known for a role as one of the oil rig workers turned astronauts in Armageddon) to instead be voiced by Tom Baker! Apparently according to the Radio Times, Wonder Park is all a big metaphor for coping with having cancer, because it would not be a post-Pixar children's film without a heavy handed message about something depressing!

The most interesting film of the week is probably the premiere of Lynn Shelton's last feature film (and her first film to show on UK television) Sword of Trust on Film4 at 11:10 p.m. on Sunday 16th. Although that trailer is making me think of a mix of the Pawn Stars meets Canadian Pickers shows! All the characters need to do is fight over the contents of an off-site storage garage at an auction and they might have covered all the bases!

Film4 is also premiering American Woman at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 18th, directed by Ridley Scott's son, Jake Scott.

And jlnight has noted the most interesting repeats of the week, with Film4 showing The House of Mirth at 1:10 a.m. and Paris, Texas at 11:15 p.m. on Thursday 20th, although the rarer repeat is the double bill on Film4 on Monday afternoon of Myrna Loy and Robert Mitchum starring The Red Pony ("a film for every boy who ever wanted a pony": I'm so jealous!) at 1:15 p.m. followed by Claudette Colbert western Texas Lady at 3 p.m.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon May 17, 2021 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

colinr0380

#1188 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:35 pm

It was interesting to note that this afternoon's Channel 5 TV movie, the Canadian made His Perfect Obsession was Executive Produced by Pierre David, who is probably best known for exec producing a lot of the early Cronenberg films with The Brood, Scanners and Videodrome (and then was involved in all the Scanners sequel films, along with Brian Yuzna's two The Dentist films, Mike Figgis' Internal Affairs and Bill Duke's Deep Cover). It appears from his filmography that he is pretty heavily involved in this recent TV movie wave with a hand in the "...Met Online" series of titles (The Boy She Met Online, The Girl He Met Online, The Wife He Met Online, The Husband She Met Online, and the all-encompassing The Psycho She Met Online) and the "...At 17" series (Dead At 17, Accused At 17, Betrayed At 17, Fugitive At 17, Stalked At 17, Missing At 17, Guilty At 17, Pregnant At 17, Murdered At 17, Terrified At 17. Though I am still waiting for Channel 5 to get around to showing Zombie At 17!)

I also wanted to highlight that one of the most goofily bonkers of the recent run of TV movies is getting a repeat at 2:15 p.m. on Thursday 20th: The Nurse (aka The Killer Nurse). Which has a fun cast including Costas Mandylor, Jack Noseworthy and a late role for John Heard.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon May 17, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1189 Post by jlnight » Sat May 15, 2021 8:44 am

Elvis and Anabelle, Thu 20th May, London Live.

Johnny Come Lately, Fri 21st May, Talking Pictures.

Treasure at the Mill (CFF), Sat 22nd May, Talking Pictures.
Man Hunt (1941), Sat 22nd May, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 30th May.
Inferno (1953), Sat 22nd May, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 28th May.
It Follows, Sat 22nd May, Horror. Or...
Sicario 2: Soldado, Sat 22nd May, Channel 4.

Dr Syn, Sun 23rd May, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 25th May.

Mahanagar (The Big City), late Mon 24th May, Film4.

Farewell My Lovely (1945), Tue 25th May, Sony Movies Classic. (been on before)
Charulata (The Lonely Wife), late Tue 25th May, Film4.
The Hoodlum (1951), late Tue 25th May, Talking Pictures.

Masked and Anonymous, Thu 27th May, BBC4. Or...
Snowtown, Thu 27th May, London Live.
Thappad, late Thu 27th May, Channel 4.

More Dylan stuff on BBC4 on Fri 28th May, including Don't Look Back. All channels have missed a trick by not screening Renaldo and Clara, which had one screening on Channel 4 back in 1983.

colinr0380

#1190 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Pretty eclectic next week, if rather frustrating scheduling-wise. jlnight has noted most of the good stuff but I'll add trailers:

Sicario 2: Soldado is on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 22nd. Unfortunately lots of things clash together on Saturday evening, with 2 Sicario 2 Soldado clashing up against the 5th and 6th episodes of BBC4's Danish drama Blinded: Those Who Kill, BBC2's Arena documentary African Apocalypse at 9:30 p.m., the repeat of Face/Off on ITV1 at 10:50 p.m. (not to mention the final of Eurovision on BBC1!) and most annoyingly the last five minutes of Sicario 2 clash with the first five minutes of Film4's premiere of the evening Pledge at 11:45 p.m.

BBC4 picks up on the African theme on Sunday 23rd with the documentary Dark Matter: A History of the Afrofuture at 9 p.m.

ITV2 shows the premiere of Elton John produced punning animation sequel to Gnomeo & Juliet, Sherlock Gnomes at 5:15 p.m. on Sunday 23rd (aka the film with a twerking bare bottomed gnome in the trailer: apparently its all a metaphor for coping with cancer... or was that last week's film?).

Channel 5 is showing *batteries not included at 2:50 p.m. on Sunday 23rd, which is quite soon after Frank McRae's passing (and Film4 is showing Last Action Hero again on Thursday 27th as well, in which he also briefly appears)

The big news of the week is Film4 showing two Satyajit Ray films (albeit ones already out on Criterion Blu-ray editions) in The Big City at 1:15 a.m. on Tuesday 25th and Charulata at 12:55 a.m. on Wednesday 26th. Though somewhat annoyingly this appears to be preceding an Indian film season on Channel 4, which is the DOG-tagged channel rather than the un-channel tagged Film4. Thappad (or Slap) is showing at 2:10 a.m. on Friday 28th.

And as jlnight notes BBC4 is doing a mini-Bob Dylan season by showing Masked and Anonymous at 9 p.m. on Thursday 27th (though it ominously gets a one star "Poor" rating in the RadioTimes despite its impressive looking cast!), immediately followed by Tangled Up With Dylan: The Ballad of AJ Weberman at 10:40 p.m. Then the next evening on their Friday music-themed night there is a screening of Dont Look Back at 9 p.m., followed by a half hour 1987 Omnibus interview with Dylan at 10:30 p.m., and Bob Dylan: Trouble No More at 11 p.m. (which was a 1979 concert in which Dylan "proclaimed his new-found Christian faith" that was shelved until this 2018 film which ominously features "gospel songs interspersed with sermons specially written for the film and preached by actor Michael Shannon" :| )

jlnight

#1191 Post by jlnight » Sat May 22, 2021 4:59 am

Bunch of Kunst: A Film About Sleaford Mods, Sat 22nd May, Sky Arts. (tonight)

Mystery on Bird Island (CFF), Sat 29th May, Talking Pictures. (been on London Live)
Loot, Sat 29th May, London Live.
One Cut of the Dead, late Sat 29th May, Film4.

Villain (1971), Sun 30th May, London Live. (been on Talking Pictures)

Land of the Dead, Mon 31st May, Horror.

Birds of Passage, late Tue 1st June, Film4.

Clambake, Wed 2nd June, London Live.

Picnic at Hanging Rock, Thu 3rd June, Film4.

colinr0380

#1192 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:49 am

Lots of interesting things next week. In terms of mainstream films, BBC1 is showing Missing Link at 3:50 p.m. on Saturday 29th and Channel 4 is showing Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse at 5:20 p.m. on Sunday 30th.

Film4 is showing the premiere of One Cut of the Dead on Film4 at 12:10 a.m. in the early hours of Sunday 29th, which is showing around the same time that One Cut of the Dead: Hollywood Edition is being released on disc.

Channel 4's Indian film season continues with a bit of monkeying around in Eeb Allay Ooo! at 1:45 a.m. on Wednesday 2nd, which unfortunately directly clashes with Film4's premiere of Colombian crime film Birds of Passage at 1:25 a.m. on the same evening. There is another film in the Indian film series showing at 2:20 a.m. on Friday 4th however, with Iewduh (or Market).

And BBC4 is showing Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band at 9 p.m. on Friday 4th
___
In terms of repeats BBC2 is showing Moonstruck at 10 p.m. on Saturday 29th, preceded by an hour of music archive performances on BBC shows by Cher from 9 p.m.

BBC4 is showing all seven episodes of the 1979 Alec Guinness TV adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Solider Spy across the three evenings of the Bank Holiday weekend.

Channel 4 is showing the French drama Amanda again at 2:40 a.m. in the early hours of Monday 31st, and Film4 is showing Picnic At Hanging Rock at 11:25 p.m. on Thursday 3rd.

jlnight

#1193 Post by jlnight » Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 pm

Lionheart (CFF), Sat 5th June, Talking Pictures.

Flaming Star, Sun 6th June, Paramount Network.
Terror By Night (1946), Sun 6th June, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 7th June.

Frankie and Johnny (1966), Tue 8th June, London Live.

As Young as You Feel, Thu 10th June, Talking Pictures.
Days of the Bagnold Summer, Thu 10th June, Film4.
Frances Ha, Thu 10th June, Film4.
Another Country, late Thu 10th June, Film4.

colinr0380

#1194 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:48 am

Quite a few big films next week. I have not had the opportunity to see the apparently poorly received latest entry in the Predator franchise The Predator (NSFW) as yet (though I have not been able to avoid some of the controversies about re-casting and re-shooting issues surrounding an actor in a minor role and the plot revolving around a deus ex machina use of an autistic kid to solve the mystery), but that is showing on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 5th. Amusingly ITV4 appears to be piggybacking on this screening to show the Adrien Brody-starring Predators at 11 p.m. on the same evening directly following this!

The Indian film season on Channel 4 continues with Pinki Elli? (Where Is Pinki?) at 2:20 a.m. on Wednesday 9th and Good Newwz at 2:15 a.m. on Friday 11th.

FIlm4 has a double bill of premieres of Days of the Bagnold Summer at 9 p.m. followed by Frances Ha at 10:45 p.m. on Thursday 10th. (and a repeat of Mistress America follows that at 12:25 a.m.)

And Film4 is showing Assassination Nation (NSFW) at 10:45 p.m. on Friday 11th.
____
As jlnight has noted, the big repeat of the week is Another Country showing on Film4 at 2 a.m. on Friday 11th.

On Friday 11th, Film4 is showing Kubrick's The Killing at 2:25 p.m., followed by the 1955 version of We're No Angels at 4:15 p.m.

thirtyframesasecond

#1195 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:19 pm

I haven't seen Shane Black's The Predator, but he was of course in the original. I really enjoyed the Adrien Brody film - it had a great supporting cast - Laurence Fishburne, Walton Goggins, Mahershala Ali and of course Topher Grace
SpoilerShow
as a seemingly weedy but psychotic doctor

therewillbeblus

#1196 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:59 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:48 am
And Film4 is showing Assassination Nation (NSFW) at 10:45 p.m. on Friday 11th.
My mental state while watching Assassination Nation:

Before

After

I hope UK folks party-in next Friday and report back in the film's dedicated thread!

jlnight

#1197 Post by jlnight » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:06 am

The Fury (1978), Fri 11th June, Talking Pictures. (been on Film4 previously).

Hunted in Holland (CFF), Sat 12th June, Talking Pictures.
Hell and High Water (1954), Sat 12th June, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 15th June.
Fourteen Hours, Sat 12th June, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 17th June.
Deadfall (1968), Sat 12th June, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 17th June. Or...
Rabid (2019), Sat 12th June, Horror. Or...
Capricorn One, Sat 12th June, London Live.

Dragonwyck, Sun 13th June, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 18th June.
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, Sun 13th June, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 16th June. (most recently on BBC2)

The Woman in Green (1945), Mon 14th June, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 24th June.
Woman at War, Mon 14th June, Film4.

Anna Lucasta (1958), Tue 15th June, London Live.
The Proud and the Damned, late Tue 15th June, Talking Pictures.

The Young Lovers (1954), Wed 16th June, Talking Pictures.

The File on Thelma Jordon, Thu 17th June, Film4.
The Impersonator (1961), Thu 17th June, Talking Pictures.
Bad Times at the El Royale, Thu 17th June, Film4.
Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel, late Thu 17th June, Sky Arts. Or...
Runners (1983), late Thu 17th June, Film4.

One Cut of the Dead screened on Film4 without a commercial break. I'm surprised they didn't put one in after the first 40 or so minutes...

colinr0380

#1198 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:14 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:19 pm
I haven't seen Shane Black's The Predator, but he was of course in the original.
You know, the thing that suddenly made everything click into place about The Predator was noting in the end credits that this was co-written by Fred Dekker and Shane Black together, which made me realise that the weird goofy one-liner adolescent tone here (where any sense of plot is regularly sidelined and undermined for bantering dude bro dialogue) is almost exactly like that of (the much better because its actual teens being potty-mouthed at each other rather than a bunch of neuro-divergent borderline lunatic, partially criminal army dudes) Monster Squad that they both wrote together and Dekker directed back in the late 1980s! I guess that makes the Predator-dogs the equivalent of the werewolf in Monster Squad?

Also that probably explains the presence of the boy here beyond his role in the plot, as kind of the embodied representative of the target audience that the filmmakers were going for(?). But that itself is a bit complicated by the way that they want the boy to come across as smart and dilligent to an extreme, but also devoted to his (pretty dumb) father that causes him to have quite a crush on the military industrial complex itself! (As in the boy tactfully telling the mailman that his dad is overseas fighting "so you can remain a mailman"). That is perhaps the central dilemma in the film, of the boy being torn between dry intellect (represented by the Predator) and his respect for soldiers and weapons as embodied in his father (who the boy appears to be trying to emulate by doing a bit of swearing himself!). Maybe that is what made the 'betrayal' of the predator during the final act so inevitable, though it still felt a bit uncomfortable to appear to be celebrating the soldiers in doing so!

I suppose that it did manage the feat of making me feel a bit weirdly sorry for the Predator itself, even if it also made me question the wisdom of its judgment too! Imagine relatively respectfully deigning to pick up a great warrior from Earth only to have it call you naughty names and then get its dad and his friends to come along and defeat you in the silliest way possible. At least Arnie and Danny Glover (and Sanaa Lathan) eventually faced their alien nemesis mano-a-mano (mano-a-xeno?) as warrior-like equals in their respective films.

Though I suppose this characterisation of the predator may also be partially due to the slide from 'ultimate warrior' in the first two films to 'the predators as we know them have just been their world equivalent of teenagers themselves, off on an initiation quest to Earth' in the Aliens vs Predator films, to this one slightly uncomfortably suggesting that the predators themselves have more affinity with people with Aspergers?

I didn't think The Predator was particularly bad (just a bit empty-feeling), and it is nice to see a film that is not taking its lore overly seriously and that at least enjoys piling on the brief flashes of violent death (though of course despite revelling in the carnage it still cannot kill the two most boringly rote and heavily plot armoured characters of the boy's cocky, rather lunkish father and the lady scientist, both of whom inexplicably survive multiple deadly encounters through sheer dumb luck), but I have a strange feeling that I'm not going to remember it in a couple of days. When this is compared to something like Prometheus (which the final act of this film is pretty much blatantly repeating, just on Earth and on not quite such an epic scale) or Alien: Covenant, for as silly as the Ridley Scott films were they both played it all with an admirably straight face, whilst this film is too busy smirking at is own bizarre nature for you already.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1199 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:13 am

jlnight has noted the most interesting films next week. There is not too much but what there is looks very interesting.

Film4 is showing Icelandic eco-drama Woman At War at 11:40 p.m. on Monday 14th (followed by a repeat of Kelly Reichardt's similarly themed Night Moves straight after), and the other premiere on Film4 is Bad Times At The El Royale at 9 p.m. on Thursday 17th (which I am suddenly more excited about, realising it is from the director of The Cabin In The Woods!). The most interesting repeat of the week is a very rare repeat of 1983 film Runners starring James Fox and written by Stephen Poliakoff, on Film4 at 1:40 a.m. on Friday 18th.

The best film of the week however has to be the final film in Channel 4's Indian film season, which ends with Mani Ratnam's (later the director of the classic 1998 version of Dil Se...) 1995 film Bombay at 2 a.m. on Wednesday 16th, which is listed as a premiere in the RadioTimes but I seem to remember getting first shown in Channel 4's 1997 season of films and programmes that were commemorating 50 years since Partition of India and the creation of Pakistan, but I will have to check to see if that was correct (EDIT: I can confirm that it was shown back in 1997). Even if it has been shown before, it has still been 24 years since its last screening!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1200 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 am

Two series have recently been announced as upcoming on television: E4 is showing season 5 of Rick & Morty from Monday 21st (seemingly a day after its US premiere), and BBC4 has announced that it is going to be showing Ken Burns' series on Hemingway in six parts (which probably means that the original three episodes that run two hours each will be split up into hour long episodes) although they have not set a date for that as yet.

As a Hemingway novice, does anyone have any essential titles to begin reading up on?