Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Roger Ryan

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#1051 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:28 am
...I am pretty sure that most of that scene of actually sitting down to dinner rather than getting briefed before it was new from the theatrical version(?)...
No, I'm fairly certain all of this material existed in the original theatrical version and retained the same editing. The main alterations were the adding of Kilgore's introduction (the theatrical version has him already on the ground when we first see him), the stealing of the surfboard, and the French plantation scene ("Redux" also added a truly bizarre second encounter with the Playmates and an additional scene with Kurtz). That said, some of the continuity was changed from the original release regarding the sequence of events during the journey and the final confrontation with Kurtz that I feel improved things quite a bit (this was done for "Redux", but "The Final Cut" made some trims that improved the climatic scene). Glad you found more to like upon revisiting the film.

colinr0380

#1052 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks for the clarification Roger Ryan, it had been a long time since I saw the film so I was uncertain about that first dinner scene this time around! I have always liked the film, so hopefully at some point I will be able to dig out that Redux set from the 'to watch' pile and see the rest of the footage.

colinr0380

#1053 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:44 pm

Very interesting next week. jlnight has noted one of the two most interesting premieres with Disobedience on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 11th. The other is The Stanford Prison Experiment on ITV4 at 9.55 p.m. on Sunday 9th.

Also premiered are Battle of the Sexes on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 8th, Action Point is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 13th and... um... Killer Mermaid (seemingly with Franco Nero doing the classic grizzled "You're all doomed!" guy) is on the Horror Channel at 9 p.m. also on Saturday 8th.

Also BBC1 is showing Tommy's Honour at 3.45 p.m. on Sunday 9th, which has apparently already been shown on BBC Scotland but is now getting its first full national screening. This history of Scottish golfing stars Peter Mullan and Sam Neill and is directed by Jason Connery, Sean Connery's son. Don't worry if the prospect of a Scottish film starring Peter Mullan raises concerns about unacceptable content being broadcast in the middle of the afternoon, as the Radio Times film listings are quick to reassure that the film has been "edited for language"!

Repeat-wise jlnight has also noted the most interesting repeat, with BBC2 paying tribute to Olivia de Havilland with a screening of The Dark Mirror at 2 p.m. on Saturday 8th (Film4 is also showing Cocoon at 4.30 p.m. on Friday 14th in what could be a nice quick tribute to Wilford Brimley). Danish drama Northwest is on Film4 at 1.35 a.m. on Monday 10th and Christian Mungiu's Graduation is also on Film4 at 12.45 a.m. on Friday 14th. Michael Mann's biopic of Ali is on ITV4 at 11.35 p.m. on Thursday 13th and ITV4 is also showing Bullitt at 9 p.m. on Friday 14th.

jlnight

#1054 Post by jlnight » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:30 pm

The Australian Dream (LFF 2019), Sun 9th Aug, BBC2.

Downhill Racer, Fri 14th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 23rd Aug.

Stranger From Venus, Sat 15th Aug, Talking Pictures.
Stardust (1974), Sat 15th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 18th Aug.
Blue Iguana (2018), Sat 15th Aug, London Live.
Laboratory (1980), late Sat 15th Aug, Talking Pictures.

The Crater Lake Monster, early Sun 16th Aug, Talking Pictures.
The Prince and the Pauper, Sun 16th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 19th Aug.

Strange Harvest (1953 short), very late Mon 17th Aug, Talking Pictures.

The Perfect Woman (1981), early Tue 18th Aug, Talking Pictures.

The Rat Race (1960), Wed 19th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 30th Aug.

colinr0380

#1055 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 pm

The big film of next week is the premiere of Lady Bird at 9 p.m. on BBC2 on Friday 21st.

A few other smaller films get first showings too: if you thought there was no further angle of World War II that films could explore, here's Zoo on Film4 at 4 p.m. on Saturday 15th. Film4 are also showing Hounds of Love at 11.15 p.m. on Thursday 20th.

BBC4's filmed theatrical productions are continuing with Albion at 10 p.m. on Sunday 16th and on Saturday 15th BBC4 is also repeating the first four episodes of the first season of The Bridge back to back from 9 p.m.

jlnight

#1056 Post by jlnight » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm

Another Time, Another Place (1958), Thu 20th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 26th Aug.
The Bliss of Mrs Blossom, Thu 20th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 30th Aug.

RoboCop 2, Fri 21st Aug, ITV4.

Dead Ringers, starts Sat 22nd Aug, London Live.

Manganinnie (1980), Sun 23rd Aug, London Live.
Le Mans, Sun 23rd Aug, BBC2.
In Like Flint, Sun 23rd Aug, Sony Movies Classic.

Manhunter, Mon 24th Aug, ITV4.

The Big Operator, Wed 26th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also late Sun 6th Sep.

The Getting of Wisdom, Thu 27th Aug, London Live.

colinr0380

#1057 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 am

I'm glad that the ITV channels are starting to vary the variety of films in their schedules up, if just very slightly. They also have the first Final Destination film showing tonight at 1.30 a.m. on ITV2.

Good to see Le Mans showing on BBC2 as well, even if it comes a number of months after that Steve McQueen documentary that kind of needed the film as context! Perhaps they will repeat that alongside the film this time around?

colinr0380

#1058 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 am

Not hugely packed but still interesting next week. BBC1 are showing the first two episodes of the TV series Fort Salem from 10.45 p.m. on Wednesday 26th.

BBC4 is showing Avicii: True Stories at 1 a.m. on Sunday 23rd, as well as a rare 1960 Face to Face interview with Evelyn Waugh at 11 p.m. on Thursday 27th, after a repeat screening of the 2008 Brideshead Revisited film. Though if you cannot wait it is up here!

The only premiere outside of Channel 5's ongoing deluge of afternoon TV movies is Racer and the Jailbird on Film4 at 1.10 a.m. in the early hours of Friday 28th.

jlnight has noted a lot of the notable repeats of the week including Manhunter and Le Mans (ITV2 is also jumping straight from Final Destination last weekend to the bookending final film in the series Final Destination 5 at 1.40 a.m. in the early hours of Monday 24th) but the most exciting of all has to be a very rare repeat showing of John Carpenter's always relevant They Live! on Film4 at 11.15 p.m. on Friday 28th! I think the last time it was shown on the mainstream UK channels was in pan and scanned form on ITV back in 1997?

jlnight

#1059 Post by jlnight » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:21 pm

The Witches of Eastwick, Fri 28th Aug, BBC1.

Ooh, You Are Awful, Sat 29th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 6th Sep.
Gunn (1967), Sat 29th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 1st Sep.
Mandy (2018), Sat 29th Aug, Film4.

Take Me High, Sun 30th Aug, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 2nd Sep. (been on London Live)

Molly's Game, Mon 31st Aug, BBC2

Drowning by Numbers, Wed 2nd Sep, Film4. (been on Film4 before)

Pili (2017), Thu 3rd Sep, Film4.

The Face of Fu Manchu is on again late Thu 27th Aug on Talking Pictures if you want a taster for the Indicator box set.
They Live has definitely turned up on the Horror channel, Freeview-era.

thirtyframesasecond

#1060 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:16 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 am
Not hugely packed but still interesting next week. BBC1 are showing the first two episodes of the TV series Fort Salem from 10.45 p.m. on Wednesday 26th.

BBC4 is showing Avicii: True Stories at 1 a.m. on Sunday 23rd, as well as a rare 1960 Face to Face interview with Evelyn Waugh at 11 p.m. on Thursday 27th, after a repeat screening of the 2008 Brideshead Revisited film. Though if you cannot wait it is up here!

The only premiere outside of Channel 5's ongoing deluge of afternoon TV movies is Racer and the Jailbird on Film4 at 1.10 a.m. in the early hours of Friday 28th.

jlnight has noted a lot of the notable repeats of the week including Manhunter and Le Mans (ITV2 is also jumping straight from Final Destination last weekend to the bookending final film in the series Final Destination 5 at 1.40 a.m. in the early hours of Monday 24th) but the most exciting of all has to be a very rare repeat showing of John Carpenter's always relevant They Live! on Film4 at 11.15 p.m. on Friday 28th! I think the last time it was shown on the mainstream UK channels was in pan and scanned form on ITV back in 1997?
I love They Live and can quote 'formaldehyde face 'til I get bored, but I wonder whether it's now got a hardcore fanbase of anti-vaxxers/anti-Gates-Soros/anti-New World Order loons.

colinr0380

#1061 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

I understand that and it really does anticipate the blue collar classes (or even underclasses) taking matters into their own hands in the face of empty, even fraudulent promises from the media and even the church which are meaningless in the face of the reality on the ground, which are certainly a bit uncomfortable in the current climate where Trump's whole agenda is based on telling people not to trust any member of the elites (whilst being the ultimate elitist himself, which is part of his paradoxical nature). But then even back when They Live was new it was always a bit uncomfortable seeing just how quickly the lead turns to gun-toting vigilanteism too (holding up a bank no less as his first act!), suggesting that our 'hero' is not really anything of the sort! It also anticipated reality TV too in that wonderful scene of our vagabond lead spying through a window on someone watching television with a woman talking ecstatically about never growing old on TV. I seem to remember hearing that it was in line for a remake a while ago but luckily that went by the wayside. Though in my own dream remake I have always thought it would be necessary to use the Gorillaz tracks Welcome To The Plastic Beach over the opening credits of wandering into L.A., through the streets and parks, looking at all of the advertising hoardings before fading out to the job centre scene! Whilst White Flag would be perfect for the final explosive climax of domestic terrorism and montage scene of the aftereffects rippling out through the society (mediated by the media of course!) before cutting to the credits with the beginning of the lyrics!

They Live is kind of a dangerous film because it is offering the 'easy catharsis' of safe revolution and the promise that all of the injustices can be boiled down to the privileged classes not just being horrible people but not even human beings at all, so there are immediately no qualms at all about killing whoever your pair of sunglasses tells you to! Though to be fair whilst it revels in its main character's antics I'm not entirely sure that it is fully behind him (especially because the final section of the film starts bringing in the aspect of human collaborators beyond just the easily defined conflict between humans and aliens. Even before the final kicker shot that caps off the whole film as being ultimately a very bitter black comedy!), just as I am not sure we were entirely sympathetic to Snake Plissken single mindedly pursuing his mercenary goals in the face of all of the supporting characters dying off around him in the final scenes of Escape From New York. I think Carpenter sympathises with the 'working man's plight' but also may be realistic about their ability to achieve any sort of change on anything more than the blunt weapon-based level that doesn't solve anything and perhaps just makes things worse (that's a theme that even carries through up to the final moments of Ghosts of Mars!)

That sense of individual issues being swept away by the 'bigger issues', whilst at the same time sort of coming back to ironically fundamentally undermine the grander narrative is the aspect that I think I like the most about Carpenter's films. They often deal with relentless, overwhelming horrors that never really get defeated (everything from Michael Myers in Halloween to the creature in The Thing), and that is really the thing that I find the most unique about Carpenter's films. Even Vampires, which I always have trouble watching because I get so repulsed by the actions of the main 'hero' characters more than even the vampires themselves, is showing that kind of that philosophy writ inescapably large. I wonder if that structure of the 'big conflict' eventually being less important than the individually flawed characters and their interactions with each other because of the situation they have gotten into is the aspect that most clearly shows the Howard Hawks influence too.
___

Just a note that the version of Manhunter that ITV4 are currently showing at this exact moment (and will be repeating late on Wednesday night) is the Director's Cut version. This is one of those cases where I think the theatrical cut is leaner and works better overall but the telltale differences are the opening credits taking place entirely over a black screen instead of fading into the beach scene halfway through; the brief extension of the scene at the second family's house with the estate agent showing Will around the house and complaining about the police coming in when he was trying to sell it and telling the prospective buyers about the murders (which I think is the best addition); and the scene of Molly coming to Atlanta to visit Will in his hotel room.

(By the way, I had not realised until this moment that Frankie Faison is in a small role in Manhunter too, albeit in a different role from the one he later plays are the nurse Barney who shows up in The Silence of the Lambs (showing Clarice to Lector's cell), in the opening scene of Hannibal and also in Red Dragon too. So he's the one actor who has appeared in all but one Hannibal Lector film! More than Anthony Hopkins even!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

colinr0380

#1062 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Quite a lot of premieres next week. jlnight has already noted the two most exciting: Mandy at 10.45 p.m. on Film4 on Saturday 29th (and repeated at 11.25 p.m. on Friday 4th) is by far the best film showing of the week, but I am quite interested in the other film noted by jlnight: Pili at 12.35 a.m. in the early hours of Friday 4th.

BBC1 has a couple of big films with Clint Eastwood's film starring Tom Hanks, Sully taking the big main channel primetime schedule slot of 8.30 p.m. on Saturday 29th. Also on BBC1 Ben Affleck is in The Accountant at 10.30 p.m. on Sunday 30th.

Bank Holiday Monday has ITV1 showing the ultimate horror film of our times (at least it was until Cats): Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again in a pre-watershed slot at 8 p.m., which is only recommended for those with the strongest stomachs (more charitably it is probably the closest that modern cinema has gotten to an equivalent in tone and setting to the Shakespearean comedies such as Much Ado About Nothing or The Comedy of Errors). Over on BBC2 at 10 p.m. the same evening is Aaron Sorkin's film Molly's Game with Jessica Chastain. Which the Radio Times has give an astonishing five star "Masterpiece" rating to (in contrast Mandy only gets three!) Is this going to be a 'real' five star rating or like that time they over-enthusiastically gave A Million Ways To Die In The West five stars, that later got bumped down to three on subsequent listings?

Repeat-wise, along with Film4 showing Drowning By Numbers at 1.20 a.m. in the early hours of Thursday 3rd, ITV4 is showing Platoon for the first time since 2015 at 11.15 p.m. on Tuesday 1st.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

jlnight

#1063 Post by jlnight » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:59 am

Maria Marten: Or, Murder in the Red Barn, Fri 4th Sep, London Live.

Went the Day Well?, Sat 5th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 9th Sep.
The Silent Partner, Sat 5th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 7th Sep.
Ginger and Rosa, late Sat 5th Sep, BBC2.

The Big Steal (1949), Mon 7th Sep, Sony Movies Classic.
Jallikattu (2019), Mon 7th Sep, Film4.

Far From the Madding Crowd, Tue 8th Sep, London Live. (been on countless channels before).

Paradox (2017), Thu 10th Sep, Film4.

colinr0380

#1064 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Film4 have also been trailing that they are going to be running a "New British Cinema" season throughout September:

Bait
Wild Honey Pie!
Dark River (Will Sean Bean's character survive through this film? Place your bets!)
Departure
Funny Cow

colinr0380

#1065 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:38 am

Only a couple of films but it is really interesting for other reasons next week. jlnight has noted them both already but the Thailand-set Hong Kong film Paradox is showing on Film4 at 11.30 p.m. on Thursday 10th.

The other film, Jallikattu is showing on Film4 at 11.35 p.m. on Monday 7th. The Radio Times notes that this is starting an Indian film season on the channel, which is very exciting in suggesting that the regular Indian film season has been transferred across from the DOG-tagged Channel 4 across to Film4 now, and whilst showing late in the evening is also at a more humane hour compared to its 1 or 2 a.m. starts on Channel 4!

On a more bizarre note BBC2 has for some reason decided that now is the time to finally show the 2004 Battlestar: Galactica reboot series from the very beginning for the first time on the main UK channels. The two part pilot is showing at 9.45 p.m. on Saturday 5th, and then episodes 1 and 2 of the first series are showing at 12.20 a.m. late Friday 11th/early Saturday 12th. Better late than never, I guess?

Not too many notable repeats: BBC1 continues its 'film directed by but not starring Clint Eastwood showing at primetime on a Saturday evening' season with Invictus at 8 p.m. on Saturday 5th (when are they going to get to Hereafter, I wonder?), and is also showing David Fincher's Zodiac at 10.45 p.m. on Friday 11th, but the most rare screening is Van Johnson in The Last Blitzkreig on Film4 at 5 p.m. on Thursday 8th. Also showing again on BBC4 at 11 p.m. on Monday 7th is Mama Africa (under the title of The Queen of Africa: The Miriam Makeba Story), directed by Mika Kaurismäki, Aki Kaurismäki's brother.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1066 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:27 am

Pili was a really moving film that feels a lot in the tradition of Bicycle Thieves (or an optimistic Dancer In The Dark!), or really any film about someone trying to achieve a goal only to find every possible obstacle being thrown in their way, as if to test their commitment to their dreams. In this film Pili is a young woman who works long hours in the field with her friend Ana. She sticks up for her friend when the supervisor tries to bilk her out of being paid fairly, with Pili seeming to be the only literate one as she can point out the 'mistake' the supervisor has overlooked in his notes. The long walks out of town to the field and back again are emphasised (especially in that moment when she faints and is, surprisingly generously, told that she can go home and rest up and will still be paid for the day. But that still involves a couple mile walk in the baking sun).

The catalyst for the drama is that Pili has been saving money and dreams to run a little kiosk in town, and gets a call that finally a slot has come open. But she needs to get a deposit of 45,000 shillings ready to the owner by the next day. This sends her to the local women's guild of the town who are very ambivalent about breaking the rules ("we've had these rules in place for five years") to let her have firstly that amount of money at all and then to have it without waiting a week first. A town guild meeting is set up to decide the next day, so Pili has to beg the kiosk owner for a day's leniency, and gets lectured by him about every day waiting meaning lost money for him.

However whilst this is going on Pili's fainting spell suggests that she needs to go to the doctor. We learn she is HIV positive (definitely not AIDS as the later doctor underlines, which suggests there would be even more stigma there over the full blown version), ran out of her pills and was unable to find time to travel to the doctor to get some more. She has not told anyone in the town that she is HIV positive except her husband who immediately ran away two years back, leaving her with two young children rather isolated in her husband's village. She takes a bus to a clinic out of town, gets lectured on how she should have gone to the local one instead and that there is even a bus there to solve her travel problems (yet heavily implied is that this raises whole new issues of stigmatisation of potentially being seen getting on the weekly bus to the AIDS clinic) and is told she needs a test at a clinic in the next town over an hour away. This is all going on on the day that the town women's guild are meeting about the loan at 7 p.m., so we get the ticking clock element of going a long distance out of town and then waiting in the hospital waiting room as other, more needy, patients come in and take priority. Pili herself is about to leave when the doctor calls her, so we get a moment of her vacillating about whether to just leave and give up, or stick around as she has come so far, even if that causes her to be in even more danger of missing her meeting. Then there are the inevitable issues of being fleeced by a motorbike taxi rider for a trip (though it leads to that wonderful shot of Pili on the back of the bike. I never thought it was possible to look pensive about an existential situation whilst sitting in such a precarious position!), a ride on a bus that inevitably breaks down, and then hitching a ride back to the town to just catch the women as they are leaving.

Pili's main trait throughout the film feels like of being so worn down by intransigent figures holding power over her that she is about to leave, yet then returns and manages to resolve the situation at the last moment. It emphasises the difficult situation she is in when she has to juggle health and work (she gets told by the first nurse the simple fact that she needs to keep a supply of the ARV pills at all times as "what would happen if you left your children without a mother?", but that also ignores that by choosing pills over the job they would starve instead, so Pili is weighing up the difficult choices facing her), and has to move between these different worlds (the field, the women's guild, the doctors, eventually the kiosk owner himself) that are all damningly separate from each other and able to ignore the effort it takes to move from one situation to another.

It is a lot about officious figures, with Pili being the beaten down figure trying to weather their blows and, frankly, ignorance towards her situation. Sometimes that is through malicious intent (the bookending male figures of the film in the supervisor of the field wanting to pay the friend less, and the kiosk owner wanting something more than money); or through bureaucracy masking a kind of callousness, malicious or not (the women's guild which mostly lectures Pili about everything she is doing wrong and how she should know her place, and that there are rules to abide by, which is split between characters actively aggressive towards her and those more sympathetic; and the various receptionists and nurses who pass Pili from pillar to post, mostly helping but the final one completely and aggressively disinterested, eventually just disappearing from the waiting room altogether to finally be replaced by the doctor!); and eventually the doctors themselves, who have concerns about HIV and AIDS first and foremost but that prevents them from seeing Pili as an individual patient and caring for her on a one-to-one basis. As shown by the final doctor giving out the standard advice and condoms for those who caught the disease through promiscuous unprotected sex, despite Pili having explained (albeit in the previous clinic) that she most likely caught it from her husband as she was diagnosed during her second pregnancy. It is that moment of imposition and assumption of behaviour that cuts the deepest, I think, but it underlines everyone else having their 'Moment of Power' over Pili and milking it for all that it is worth.

What really makes the film astounding is the way that all of these obstacles in the way of the main character are underlining just how difficult it is to tackle HIV and AIDS, because the disease does not exist in isolation from daily life. That providing treatment for it should be as easy as possible because there are so many other stressors that people have in their lives that make having to keep up with preventative medicine the first thing to be dropped when times are hard. Pili navigates that difficult day as successfully as she possibly can, but it is made a whole lot more difficult by the bureaucracy.

And then we get to that stunning climax, where:
SpoilerShow
Pili has to 'out' herself to the angry women that she went to another town for a test relating to HIV test, and then is given the loan by the women's guild (the chairwoman being the most vocal against her but who decides to grant the loan, albeit at a 'very high' rate of interest to make it more of a punishment than a loan) and after picking up her children (who have broken a neighbour's mirror in the interim, the older boy acting out because his mother is not around much), she goes to the kiosk owner in the dead of night to immediately pass over the money she so briefly had in her possession. Only the kiosk owner says he has 'waited too long' and given the spot to someone else. But maybe he could be convinced to give her the kiosk herself, if she will...

... but of course it is up to her. And his wife is not here, and her husband gone too, so they're not cheating on anyone.

So in the final scene (after the final moment in the film of seeming to leave, but instead she is walking behind the camera, around the couch to sit on the bed) Pili wrangles the price down to 25,000 shillings (I suppose all the easier to pay the 'very high' rate of interest that the women's guild insist upon for offering the loan immediately) and insists on the use of the condom that the doctor fortuitously had given her. Though that is immediately rejected by the kiosk owner and we cut away from the scene there. But since we next see Pili with a new wind up radio, taking her ARVs and going off to work at the kiosk, I think we can understand what happened. When we see her able to answer her son's questions openly and honestly about the pills she is taking (and also is able to patch things up with her friend that feels abandoned in the fields, and is able to share an eye-roll look with her son as Ana starts going on about how great traditional healers were for her legs) we get the happy ending to Pili's story, at least from the point of view of being able to be honest with her son and feeling a growing bond between them. Then we get that final scene of Pili at her new kiosk exchanging complicit glances with the owner before looking out of the door of her kiosk at her friend going off to the fields, before that beautiful final long shot of the street with her friend Ana striding down the road away from the camera.

Though of course the 'happy ending' where Pili has gotten the kiosk she was yearning for raises a whole lot of darker implications, from being involved with the kiosk owner sexually, to the interest rate she has to pay to the women's guild, to the general idea that this is a story about how HIV spreads even when people are aware of the issue and are trying to take steps to counter it, to just the simple devastating melancholy of now being isolated in a kiosk for eight hours a day rather than having her friend by her side while they work (a bit like the existential horror of the final shot of Il Posto, where the main character achieves his goals but has a moment of horrific clarity as to what that exactly means).
That is a film that despite being superficially about 'messages' about HIV struggles and setting up a business, is really about usury in all its forms and how it affects relations between people from the most intimate to the most transactional. Where the struggle is so extreme we end up celebrating in the audience when the figures holding the pursestrings deign to offer Pili a second way of dealing with her problems, but always with the knowledge that they closed the first, easier, option off to her too.

jlnight

#1067 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:38 am

Damage, starts Fri 11th Sep, London Live.

Memento, Sat 12th Sep, BBC2.
Death Wish (1974), Sat 12th Sep, ITV4.
The Devil's Doorway, Sat 12th Sep, Film4.
This That and the Other (A Promise of Bed), late Sat 12th Sep, London Live.

Casablanca, Sun 13th Sep, BBC2.
Sunstruck, Sun 13th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 14th Sep.
Sunday, Bloody Sunday, Sun 13th Sep, Sony Movies Classic. Or...
Three Sisters (1970), Sun 13th Sep, Talking Pictures. Or...
Sophie's Choice, starts Sun 13th Sep, London Live.
Gully Boy (2019), Sun 13th Sep, Channel 4.

Joy Division (2008), Tue 15th Sep, London Live. (been on BBC4)

The Evacuees (1975, TV), Wed 16th Sep, BBC4. Or...
Tender Mercies, Wed 16th Sep, Talking Pictures. Or...
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Wed 16th Sep, Channel 5.

Bait (2019), Thu 17th Sep, Film4. Or...
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Thu 17th Sep, Channel 5.

The Red Shoes and The Battle of The River Plate also on Sat 12th Sep, BBC2.

antnield

#1068 Post by antnield » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:42 am

Full line-up for this year's Indian Film Season across Channel 4 and Film 4.

colinr0380

#1069 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:45 am

It is a little depressing that it seems that Jallikattu is the only film in the season that will be on Film4, but still its great to know that the Indian film season is still being held every year.

perkypat

#1070 Post by perkypat » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 am

Nice that they are putting them up on All4 for 30 days as well.

colinr0380

#1071 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:44 am

jlnight has noted most of the highlights next week. The Indian film season continues on Channel 4 with Gully Boy at 11.55 p.m. on Sunday 13th (which looks like a version of 8 Mile?) and the much more promising looking Tamil language drama Kattumaram (or Catamaran) at 1.25 a.m. on Wednesday 16th.

The Devil's Doorway is on Film4 at 11.20 p.m. on Saturday 12th (a mix of The Magdalene Sisters and The Last Exorcism?), and the 5 Star digital channel is premiering the most interesting film of the week with Ingrid Goes West (NSFW) at 11 p.m. on Wednesday 16th.

BBC4 has a few items of interest: Palio at 11.50 p.m. on Tuesday 15th and is showing the 1975 Play For Today drama by Jack Rosenthal and directed by Alan Parker, The Evacuees at 10 p.m. on Wednesday 16th (though if you cannot wait it is up here). That is followed by a Face to Face interview with Alan Parker at 11.15 p.m.

Louis Theroux is continuing a three part retrospective series Life On The Edge at 9 p.m. on Sunday, going back through his old episodes and chasing up what has happened to interviewees since he last met them (I particularly liked the pointed cutting between the infomerical huckster Marshall Sylver and Donald Trump!)

And E4's Adult Swim slot has completed The Jellies! and is moving on to YOLO: Crystal Fantasy from Friday 11th at 1.40 a.m.

EDIT: Also thanks Film4 for screening the unnecessary 1979 Cybill Shepherd and Elliott Gould remake of The Lady Vanishes and causing a 'where has all the time gone?' crisis by making me realise that we are now exactly the same number of years away from that version as it was from the 1938 Hitchcock original!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1072 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 am

Night of the Creeps, Fri 18th Sep, Horror. (been on Film4)

I, Tonya, Sat 19th Sep, BBC2.
The Legend of Barney Thomson, Sat 19th Sep, London Live.
Helga, She Wolf of Stilberg, late Sat 19th Sep, London Live.

First Monday in October, Sun 20th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 24th Sep.

The Dead Zone, Mon 21st Sep, Horror.
Wild Honey Pie!, Mon 21st Sep, Film4.

The Face at the Window, Tue 22nd Sep, London Live.
The Lift Boy, late Tue 22nd Sep, Channel 4.

Funny Cow, Thu 24th Sep, Film4.

colinr0380

#1073 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Not too much beyond the films that jlnight has already highlighted next week. Everything clashes together on Saturday 19th with the premiere of I, Tonya on BBC2 at 9.30 p.m., Pacific Rim: Uprising at 9 p.m. on Channel 4 and the first two episodes of the second series of Mystery Road at 9 p.m. on BBC4!

The "New British Cinema" season continues on Film4 with Wild Honey Pie! at 11.15 p.m. on Monday 21st and Funny Cow at 11.15 p.m. on Thursday 24th.

Channel 4's Indian film season continues with The Lift Boy at 1.30 p.m. on Wednesday 23rd.

And the Horror Channel is showing Visions at 9 p.m. on Friday 25th, a more recent film from Kevin Greutert, the editor of all of the Saw films and director of Saw VI and Saw VII: The Final Chapter.

jlnight

#1074 Post by jlnight » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 am

McQueen, Sat 26th Sep, BBC2.

Dark River, Mon 28th Sep, Film4.

Departure (2015), Tue 29th Sep, Film4.
Manthan (1976), late Tue 29th Sep, Channel 4.

Hit! (1973), Wed 30th Sep, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 5th Oct.

The Assassination Bureau, Thu 1st Oct, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 7th Oct.

colinr0380

#1075 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Rather quiet next week. jlnight has noted the two premieres in Film4's "New British Cinema" season with Dark River and Departure. The repeat of Manthan (The Churning) in Channel 4's Indian film season is from the director Shyam Benegal who is a director who really needs to get more celebrated in the West beyond Channel 4 screening his work, or at least would be a great Indian director for Criterion to champion after Satyajit Ray (in fact Shyam Benegal directed a feature documentary on Ray in 1982 and has quite an intensive career as a documentary director as well, from a film on Nehru to one about the Indian steel industry). That is showing at 1.30 a.m. in the early hours of Wednesday 30th but if you cannot wait it is up here, albeit without English subtitles

I presumed when jlnight posted it that McQueen was a documentary about the actor, but it turns out to be about the fashion designer Alexander McQueen, showing on BBC2 at 9.45 p.m. on Saturday 26th.

Probably the biggest film of the week is John Wick: Chapter 2 showing at 9 p.m. on Channel 5 on Friday 2nd, though it does clash with Underworld: Blood Wars (the fifth Underworld movie) showing at the same time on the Sony Movies channel.

The strangest thing next week however is that suddenly the floodgates are opening for the BBC screening American TV series on their main channels after having made so much hoopla about only ever showing homegrown UK content and eschewing US series for the last couple of decades. Presumably this is an effect of the Coronavirus affecting production schedules but if that results in Battlestar Galactica finally getting an airing, I am all for it! But in addition to that BBC2 is showing both season 1 and 2 of Atlanta in late night triple bills every night starting from Saturday 26th; in place of Fort Salem finishing tonight BBC1 is showing the first two episodes of Love Life at 10.45 p.m. on Wednesday 30th; and also at 11.30 p.m. on Friday 2nd BBC1 is showing the first two episodes of Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens.