Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#1126 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 am

reaky wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:23 am
This might be the first year since I was a kid that I don’t buy a Christmas Radio Times. I think I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that things like the BBC2 Astaire/Rogers, Marx Brothers, James Cagney and Val Lewton film seasons are never coming back.
That did inspire me to do a quick check on what black and white films were showing over the Christmas fortnight, and its pretty meagre offerings with only the tried and tested 'too big to fail' names getting a look in (It's A Wonderful Life does not feature here because Film4 have had it scheduled twice for this pre-Christmas week instead):

Channel 5 has the 1951 Alaistair Sim Scrooge showing twice on Saturday 19th and Wednesday 23rd
BBC2 has Casablanca on 23rd December, Some Like It Hot on Christmas Day
Channel 4 has (apparently newly edited for content) The Dam Busters on Monday 28th
Film4 has the most black and white films but they are all Carry Ons: Carry On Regardless on Sunday 27th, Carry On Sergeant on Tuesday 29th, Carry On Teacher on Wednesday 30th, Carry On Cabby on New Year's Eve, Carry On Nurse on New Year's Day

So ten black and white films screen during the fortnight, which I suppose is more than subtitled films at least.

We are getting a few (again tried and tested) colour films that are older: Viva Las Vegas, Meet Me In St Louis, White Christmas, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Ben-Hur (naturally!), Jason and the Argonauts, Doctor Zhivago, Rio Bravo, On The Town, Singin' In The Rain (those four are basically repeating the BBC4 season that has been playing weekly for the last few months), Oliver!, Kiss Me Kate and Calamity Jane, but nothing too notable there either sadly.
jlnight wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:46 pm
As for de Palma, Carrie and The Fury have been on rotation on Film4 in recent years, Scarface and Carlito's Way have done the rounds on ITV4 and even something like Sisters turned up a couple of times on the Horror channel. I'd love to see Phantom of the Paradise again.
No such luck on Phantom of the Paradise but Channel 4 are screening Carrie again on Saturday 19th, and after having just complained about how rarely it gets shown BBC1 are showing the first Mission: Impossible film at 10.45 p.m. on Monday 21st!

filmyfan

#1127 Post by filmyfan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 am

reaky wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:23 am
This might be the first year since I was a kid that I don’t buy a Christmas Radio Times. I think I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that things like the BBC2 Astaire/Rogers, Marx Brothers, James Cagney and Val Lewton film seasons are never coming back.
Yep sad times..used to love the old BBC2 B&W film seasons at Christmas

colinr0380

#1128 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 pm

I thought it might be fun to post a couple of statistics about the films shown on UK television over the last year. These statistics are not fully accurate as I am working from the RadioTimes, so films could have been changed around after the listings were published, but since I was doing it anyway it might be a fun general overview! This relates to the five main channel and their off shoot channels, so BBC1, BBC2, BBC4, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Channel 4, More4, E4, Film4, Channel 5, 5Star:

No films were shown from the 1920s or older this year, with the oldest film shown on all of the above channels this year from 1933 (I'm afraid I didn't keep track of the title but I'll try to keep tabs for next year). There were fourteen films shown from the 1930s: 1 from 1933, 1 from 1934, 3 from 1935, 4 from 1938, and 5 from 1939 (this is counting repeats as separate showings so I seem to recall that at least three of those 1939 screenings are of The Wizard of Oz). Every year from 1938 up to the present was represented by at least two scheduled screenings. Strangely the year that was responsible for the least screenings was 1972 with only two films from that year shown (thank goodness for The Godfather turning up last Sunday to double the total!). Films made in 2016 and 2017, as you might expect with films being distanced about three to four years back in time before they can play on TV, filled the bulk of the schedules but despite the pandemic 24 films from 2020 premiered this year too, mostly that deluge of Channel 5 TV movies in the last couple of weeks.

The filmmakers with the most films premiered this year (you only needed two to qualify) were: François Ozon with Frantz and L'amant double; Stephen Frears with Victoria & Abdul and the Quiz series; Hirokazu Kore-eda with After The Storm and Shoplifters; James Foley with the two Fifty Shades sequels; Pablo Larraín with Jackie and Ema; Luca Guadagnino with Call Me By Your Name and the We Are Who We Are series; Juan Antonio Bayona with A Monster Calls and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom; Christopher McQuarrie with Mission: Impossible - Fallout and Jack Reacher; James Marsh with King of Thieves and The Mercy; and Christopher Nolan just squeaked in with both Interstellar and Dunkirk premiered this year (albeit Interstellar has only appeared on the Sony Movies channel so far).

We also got two films based on Ian McEwan novels (On Chesil Beach and The Children Act), and two films written by Aaron Sorkin (one also directed by him) with Molly's Game and Steve Jobs.

Speaking of the Channel 5 TV movies again, whilst I have been rather down on the Christmas fortnight schedules there have been so many of these TV movies shown in the last two months that there will be more than enough recordings to be able to sift through over the holidays. The template of these films are pretty cookie cutter (due to all of the baking going on in them presumably), with the main character often being forced to have to return to their home town and whilst trying to remain a workaholic (that inevitably involves a final act phone call telling them they have to urgently come back to the big city between Christmas and New Year) they simultaneously also learn to be charmed again by life in general and fall in love with a special person in particular before they get backstabbed/get fired/get a promotion/decide that they prefer the smalltown life instead. But within those limitations there have been some fun variations such as the run of 'coincidence' films where the main characters just keep getting forced together by fate, to the 'hidden secret of the town's past getting revealed', a love of handmaking little trinkets out of wood (the male equivalent of the 'happy cookie making montage scene' that otherwise occurs. Sometimes you get both!) or characters getting trapped in cottages by deus ex machina blizzards. Pageants, school plays or general town gatherings occur to bring everyone together. And there is more often than not a message to the troops overseas to let them know we are thinking of them, usually in combination with a reconciliation of a soldier with his estranged family members.

Perhaps because of the sheer number of the films that Channel 5 have shown over the last couple of months they have also shown a couple of interestingly diverse offerings, from the disabled heroine of Christmas Ever After (who unfortunately has the bad fortune to fall in love with an Ashton Kutcher lookalike) and the UK set A Very Yorkshire Christmas, to The Christmas Gift (in which a religious Kentucky family headed up by Bruce Davison as the father have to quickly learn all about Hanukkah when their daughter turns up with a new boyfriend) all the way up to the gay romance in the surprise change to this afternoon's schedule in order to screen The Christmas Setup, which not only ends up with a big kiss at the end (captured on phone by Fran Drescher as the lead character's mom!) but also has a pop up Christmas themed club with a glamorous drag queen singing lounge songs, who coaxes the lead on stage to sing ("Do you know Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas?"; "Honey, every Queen in the world knows that song!") to soulfully sing at the beau that he potentially might be having to leave behind due to the big 'promotion to go to work in London' that he has been offered!

The Christmas Setup is only five days out from its US premiere and was apparently Lifetime's first LBTQ+ Christmas movie, so that reached UK television surprisingly quickly. Here's a fun review about it that picks up on that aspect of how being pretty much by the numbers in all other aspects of its plot is perhaps its strongest aspect, making it fit right into the TV movie rotation as just another romantic Christmas movie!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1129 Post by jlnight » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Please Sir!, Fri 25th Dec, Talking Pictures. (been on other channels)
El Cid, Fri 25th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 2nd Jan.
Without a Clue, Fri 25th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 31st Dec.

Moby Dick (1956), Sat 26th Dec, London Live.

The Way We Live (1946), Sun 27th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 29th Dec. Or...
Appointment with Death (1988), Sun 27th Dec, Channel 5.
10 Little Indians (1965), Sun 27th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 28th Dec.

Yesterday's Hero, Mon 28th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also late Sun 10th Jan.

The Green Man, Wed 30th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Sun 3rd Jan.
Money Movers, Wed 30th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 8th Jan.

Dead of Night (1945), Thu 31st Dec, Talking Pictures.

Peckinpah's series The Westerner is on very early Mon 28th Dec, Talking Pictures.

jlnight

#1130 Post by jlnight » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:28 pm

The Water Babies (1978), Fri 1st Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 7th Jan.
Witchfinder General, Fri 1st Jan, Talking Pictures. (been on countless times on Horror).

Amazing Grace (2018), Sat 2nd Jan, BBC2. Or...
Hud, Sat 2nd Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 5th Jan.
Entebbe, Sat 2nd Jan, BBC2.

How the West Was Won, Sun 3rd Jan, BBC2.
Max Richter's Sleep, Sun 3rd Jan, BBC4.

Only When I Larf, Wed 6th Jan, Talking Pictures.

Jonathan S

#1131 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:36 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 pm
... the oldest film shown on all of the above channels this year from 1933 (I'm afraid I didn't keep track of the title but I'll try to keep tabs for next year)...
King Kong (29 May).

colinr0380

#1132 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:57 am

That's the one! It had completely escaped me when thinking back for that earlier post!

colinr0380

#1133 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:04 am

Applemask is back with this year's roundup of UK television's Christmas idents. Its always nice to get a video about graphical design trends as well as how well they mesh with both channel branding and the way signs and signifiers get used for, at least an attempt at, bringing audiences together. I think I would be harsher on BBC1 than even Applemask is, as that ident feels too mercenary (and denigrates every other programme by implication as just wrapping paper for the main event) as kind of just a free trailer for their Christmas animation that ran before every single programme on the channel for a month before the big day (and for days after the fact now that the animation has been shown of course. Though of course then it becomes an advert for watching it on the online catch up service, wink wink!). It is a bit of a shame to see Channel 4 jumping on that trend too with the Quentin Blake tie-in ident, although I have to admit that since I barely watch Channel 4 any more that the presence of the ident had completely passed me by until watching the Applemask video! (And I am glad to see that the Channel 5 idents have been added into the round up now, since they have pretty much dominated the last couple of years of Christmas idents)

This all probably has its origin back in 1995 with BBC2's Wallace & Gromit stings to tie in with the first screening of The Wrong Trousers, but the differences there were that it was all done in the BBC2 house style, featured brief bits of animation to introduce programme trailers and rundowns of the evening schedule (of the kind that Applemask mentions have fallen out of favour now due to generic digital programme guides), and most importantly it featured Wallace & Gromit and was trailing one of the zeitgeist animations of the entire decade that lived up to all of the hype, rather than the latest interchangeable family animation. A lot of the recent tie ins really feel like an attempt by the BBC to recapture the magic of that particular BBC2 Christmas, only on their main channel with extra hype and bombast that just feels a bit desperate (It also helped that the Wallace & Gromit idents were only run for a few days during Christmas week itself rather than the entirety of December)

Those Wallace & Gromit idents themselves were arguably a little bit too cheery for most of the rest of BBC2's (excellent) output that year, with the big programmes that Christmas being The Return of the Native, the premiere of Farewell, My Concubine, the Helen Mirren 'married to a serial killer' drama The Hawk, the amazing Name of the Rose-style medieval murder mystery bonk-buster The Hour of the Pig, and its animation style amusingly contrasted to the premiere (and only television showing to date) of Jan Svankmajer's Faust!

colinr0380

#1134 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:30 am

Pretty quiet for the first week of the new year:

BBC2 is showing Arethra Franklin documentary Amazing Grace at 8.30 p.m. and Entebbe (Rosamund Pike doing a passable Audrey Tautou impression there!) at 10.25 p.m. on Saturday 2nd.

BBC1 is showing I Am Greta at 10.45 p.m. on Wednesday 6th, which clashes with Film4's premiere of Trespass Against Us at 11.15 p.m. on the same evening. BBC2 is also showing The Wife at 9 p.m. on Friday 8th, which I only know so far as the film that Glenn Close was being pushed at the Oscars for that year.

The most interesting film of the week is Max Richter's Sleep on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Sunday 3rd.

After joking a little earlier in the thread about the number of TV movies with the word "Stalked" in their title, Channel 5 revert away from the Christmas movies to threats again with Stalked By The Killer Ex, (otherwise known on imdb as Another Mother, aka Stalked By My Husband's Ex!), from the director of all six Sharknado movies as well as Zombie Tidal Wave.

The new year seems to have inspired Film4 to slightly shuffle around the otherwise familiar roster of its daytime classic movies, with a screening of Captain Scarlett from 1952 at 5 p.m. on Tuesday 5th, starring Richard Greene who would later star in The Adventures of Robin Hood TV series and appear in the Hammer produced film Sword of Sherwood Forest (also showing on Film4 at 1.40 p.m. on Friday 8th) and for anyone with the recent Fu Manchu boxset he plays Nayland Smith in the last two Jess Franco directed entries. Of more interest is a rare main channel repeat of The Wrecking Crew at 4.50 p.m. on Wednesday 6th, which of course with its Sharon Tate scenes got a new lease of life recently in Once Upon A Time In... Hollywood.

jlnight

#1135 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:03 am

Contraband (1940), Sat 9th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 14th Jan.
Strange Holiday, Sat 9th Jan, Talking Pictures. (a Moviedrome film that never was!)
Hombre, Sat 9th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 12th Jan.
Reds (1981), Sat 9th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 13th Jan. Or...
Pacific Heights, Sat 9th Jan, Horror.

The Great Waldo Pepper, Sun 10th Jan, Sony Movies Action. Or...
Girls! Girls! Girls!, Sun 10th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 13th Jan.
The Seventh Veil, Sun 10th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 12th Jan.

Sapphire and Steel and Danger Man start this week on London Live.

colinr0380

#1136 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm

Not too much of note next week. The only big premiere is Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson at 9 p.m. on Channel 4 on Saturday 9th.

Otherwise the eighth series of French crime drama Spiral is continuing on BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 9th, and Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema series comes back to BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Monday 11th with an episode about British Comedy. And on BBC1 at 11.30 p.m. on Wednesday 13th there is the first episode of a documentary series about the e-sports scene surrounding the League of Legends game, Fight For First, narrated by Cillian Murphy.

But there are a lot of repeats of films that have not been shown for a while: Film4 is showing the Tom Hanks love affair with a basketball story Cast Away at 11.10 p.m. on Sunday 10th (similar to The Terminal which has also switched over that film used to show on BBC a few years back but has not aired for a while) and Fritz Lang's Ministry of Fear at 1.15 p.m. on Friday 15th. And there are a few John Le Carré tributes going on with BBC2 showing a 2008 interview with Mark Lawson followed by the 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy film from 8.30 p.m. on Saturday 9th, A Most Wanted Man showing on Film4 at 11.45 p.m. on Monday 11th, whilst BBC4 is repeating the recent Susanne Bier directed The Night Manager TV series in double bill episodes from Sunday 10th.

Also Film4 is showing the 1974 original version of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three at 11.40 p.m. on Friday 15th, which I think has not been shown on the main channels since BBC2's Walter Matthau season back in 2000, when Charley Varrick was also last screened.

There are a number of programmes on BBC Radio over the weekend as a tribute to the fifth anniversary of David Bowie's passing: David Bowie: Verbatim at 8 p.m. on Saturday 9th, a play inspired by the Low album at 3 p.m. on Sunday 10th both on Radio 4 and Bowie: Dancing Out In Space, a two hour tribute programme simulcast on Radio 4 and 6 starting at 8 p.m. also on Sunday 10th.

jlnight

#1137 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:05 am

The Chairman, Sat 16th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 22nd Jan.

Breakthrough (AKA Sergeant Steiner), Sun 17th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also late Wed 20th Jan.

Benjamin (2018), Mon 18th Jan, Film4.

East of Sudan, Wed 20th Jan, Sony Movies Classic.

colinr0380

#1138 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Not much new showing next week. jlnight has mentioned the only premiere of note in Simon Amstell's Benjamin on Film4 at 11 p.m. on Monday 18th. There are also the premieres of animated bull film Ferdinand and the second Denzel Washington Equalizer film too.

But there are lots of interesting repeats coming back into rotation. The best is that ITV4 are showing Airplane! at 9 p.m. on Sunday 17th and 11.40 p.m. on Thursday 21st. A surprisingly rare recent screening for Armageddon, also on ITV4 at 9.20 p.m. on Saturday 16th. Fargo is on ITV4 at 11.45 p.m. on Monday 18th.

Vanilla Sky is on 5Star at 11.50 p.m. on Saturday 16th. And BBC2 is showing Abderrahame Sissako's Timbuktu at 1.50 a.m. on Saturday 23rd.

Escape From New York (the first UK television showing in its correct aspect ratio?) is on Film4 at 11 p.m. on Saturday 16th. And The Bone Collector (which is as depressing a serial killer film as you are likely to find but I have a fondness for as it was the first DVD that I ever imported from the US back in 2000!) is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 20th. Will Leland Orser turn out to not be playing the shifty character this time around? At least Bone Collector throws Michael Rooker into the supporting cast as well to try and throw us off the scent! Despite strong competition from ITV4, Film4 easily wins the week with screenings of Destry Rides Again at 1.15 p.m. on Monday 18th (followed by the original The Ladykillers and preceded by The Straight Story at 11 a.m.), His Girl Friday at 4.50 p.m. on Wednesday 20th, the 1949 Samson and Delilah at 12.30 p.m. on Friday 22nd and Michael Cimino's Thunderbolt and Lightfoot at 11 p.m. on the same evening. Though the real rarity of note is the Joel McCrea and Yvonne De Carlo western Border River at 3.10 p.m. also on Friday just after Samson and Delilah.

TV-wise BBC4's Storyville season has the documentary 'Til Kingdom Come: Trump, Faith and Money at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 19th (followed amusingly by a programme "How To Be A Good President" and an interview with Barack Obama! All The President's Men is showing for the first time in a long while (last shown in 2005) on both BBC1 at midnight on Sunday 17th and BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 21st. Is something going on relating to American politics on or around the 20th? :wink: ). More4 is starting the second series of Icelandic drama Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders at 9 p.m. on Friday 15th, which clashes next Friday 22nd (coincidentally?) with BBC2 starting the Danish crime drama series The Investigation. At 11.20 p.m. that same evening BBC2 also reaches and begins airing the third season of Battlestar: Galactica.

jlnight

#1139 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 am

Villa Rides!, Fri 22nd Jan, Talking Pictures. Or...
Desperate Characters (1971), Fri 22nd Jan, London Live.

Harry's War, Sat 23rd Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 29th Jan.
Sweet Charity, Sat 23rd Jan, Sony Movies Classic. Or...
Power Play, Sat 23rd Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 27th Jan. (been on London Live.) Or...
Nightbreed, Sat 23rd Jan, Horror.
The Endless, Sat 23rd Jan, Film4.

Love Me Tender, Sun 24th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 27th Jan.

P'Tang Yang Kipperbang, late Mon 25th Jan, Film4.

American Animals, Tue 26th Jan, Film4.

The Guilty (2018), Wed 27th Jan, Film4.

Searching (2018), Thu 28th Jan, Film4.

colinr0380

#1140 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

A lot of stuff next week. jlnight has noted the most interesting things but I'll add some trailer links.

BBC2 has the Ralph Fiennes directed film of the defection of Rudolph Nureyev to the West, The White Crow at 9.30 p.m. on Saturday 23rd (part of a 'defection night' it seems as it before the film is Jack Dee: Sent To Siberia and then The White Crow is followed by Bobby Fischer drama Pawn Sacrifice and the Korean film The Spy Gone North)

Channel 4 has Maze Runner: The Death Cure at 9.30 p.m. also on Saturday 23rd, and Film4 is showing The Endless at 11.10 p.m., also on Saturday 23rd (the Radio Times also notes that it is showing the same week that Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead's latest film Synchronic is getting a UK streaming release).

The only Eli Roth horror film that could possibly turn up on a Sunday afternoon (although the Radio Times says that it is potentially going to be edited for content), The House With A Clock In Its Walls is showing on ITV1 at 2 p.m. on Sunday 24th. Which presumably makes sense as the ITV1 schedulers are probably searching for Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts/Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children-style content to show now that they have gone through all of those films.

The Storyville series moves briefly to BBC2 in order to show the first (90 minute) part of the ESPN 30 For 30 documentary on Lance Armstrong at 10 p.m. on Sunday 24th. Part 2 will probably be on next Sunday. There is also a 100 minute documentary DeLorean: Back From The Future also on BBC2 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 27th which is apparently a completely different BBC-produced piece from the Alec Baldwin starring docu-drama re-enactment film from 2018, but seemingly both are using previously unseen footage of DeLorean filmed by D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus to tell his story.

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema series concludes at 9 p.m. on Monday 25th with an episode about 'cult movies', which apparently is "including films about actual cults", which seems to miss the point of 'cult film' a little! Or rather takes it too literally! But I guess it will inevitably allow for discussion on Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood, but I hope we get Martyrs, Martha Marcy May Marlene and Upstream Color (or indeed The Endless) if he is going into that subject. Come to think of it, I would not be too surprised if Kermode is going to bridge the 'cult movie to actual cult' shift by talking about the ultimate cult movie in both senses of the definition: The Wicker Man.

After a lacklustre few weeks Film4 brims over with premieres, from the aforementioned The Endless to their current crime drama season screening American Animals at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 26th (I saw Udo Kier in that trailer for one millisecond and I clapped!), the Danish film The Guilty at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 27th in a double bill with Heat, and Searching at 9 p.m. on Thursday 28th in a double bill with Gone Girl.

And Channel 4 has Thoroughbreds at 12.10 a.m. on Saturday 30th.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jlnight

#1141 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:19 am

Fade-In, Fri 29th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 6th Feb.

The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Sat 30th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 2nd Feb.
Situation Hopeless But Not Serious, Sat 30th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 4th Feb.

The Jigsaw Man, Sun 31st Jan, Sony Movies Classic.
A New Kind of Love, Sun 31st Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 2nd Feb.

Girl on Approval, Mon 1st Feb, Talking Pictures.
Elsa Fraulein S.S., late Mon 1st Feb, London Live.

colinr0380

#1142 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:17 pm

This shows how often I look at BBC Alba, the BBC's Scottish Gaelic language channel, but I have just noticed that they are showing Studio Ghibli's first animated television series Ronja, The Robber's Daughter and are up to episode 6 screening tomorrow evening.

I am not too upset as I have the Blu-rays in my to watch pile already, but it is strange to see that BBC Alba are showing this when the main BBC channels have not shown much anime at all aside from BBC2 showing Spirited Away occasionally. In terms of the wider channels Film4 regularly screens the rest of the Studio Ghibli films around the school holiday seasons, but that is pretty much it.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat May 15, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#1143 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:05 pm

A few big films next week in the form of the fifth (!?!?!) Pirates of the Caribbean film Dead Men Tell No Tales (which for some reason was title changed to Salazar's Revenge in the UK) on BBC1 at 6.50 p.m. on Saturday 30th and Deadpool 2 showing at 9 p.m. on Channel 4 also on Saturday 30th.

BBC2 has a couple of based on a true story melodramas over the week, showing Beautiful Boy at 10 p.m. on Saturday 30th and Breathe at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 3rd (which is directed by Andy Serkis).

Repeat-wise the main item of interest is My Man Godfrey, showing on Film4 at 3 p.m. on Tuesday 2nd.

In terms of television the second part of the Lance Armstrong documentary is on BBC2 at 10.45 p.m. on Sunday 31st and The Eric Andre Show is back on the E4 Adult Swim block at 1.50 a.m. on Friday 5th. Most interestingly Channel 4 is showing the first episode of the series Ramy at 11 p.m. on Friday 5th, which is rather weird because the night before, on Thursday 4th/Friday 5th the same channel is also showing the first five episodes (of ten total) of the series in a row from 1.45 a.m. through to 4 a.m. in the morning! Presumably this is another way that the linear channels are trying to do 'box set' programming, doing late night blocks and classic 'single episodes shown once a week at primetime' on their television channel before also putting everything on their online streaming service as well.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1144 Post by jlnight » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:44 pm

The Plank (1967), Fri 5th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Sat 6th Feb.
What's New, Pussycat?, Fri 5th Feb, Sony Movies Classic.

Cup Fever, Sat 6th Feb, Talking Pictures. (been on London Live and now part of Saturday morning at the flicks!)
Black Sunday (1977), Sat 6th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 9th Feb. Or...
King Rocker, Sat 6th Feb, Sky Arts.
In Fabric, Sat 6th Feb, BBC2.

King David (1985), Sun 7th Feb, Talking Pictures.
Starting Over (1979), Sun 7th Feb, Talking Pictures.

Dogs Don't Wear Pants, Thu 11th Feb, Film4. (Anti-Worlds).

Elsa Fraulein S.S. has disappeared from the schedules.

colinr0380

#1145 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:14 pm

Not a huge amount next week but what is there is very interesting. jlnight has noted most of it but I will add trailer links

Peter Strickland's In Fabric is the big film of the week showing on BBC2 at 11.20 p.m. on Saturday 6th, which seems to be a strange tribute to Tobe Hooper films by being a mix of I'm Dangerous Tonight and The Mangler, with an added bit of sub-dom Duke of Burgundy-style naughtiness!

But the real curio is on Film4 at 11.20 p.m. on Thursday 11th, with Finnish BDSM-drama Dogs Don't Wear Pants (NSFW). How will it compare to the other 'father in mourning for a lost partner turning to BDSM to let it all out' film R100? Will it range into quite as mind-boggling directions as that film did? I guess we will find out.

The most interesting repeat of the week is the 1946 Alan Ladd film O.S.S. showing on Film4 at 4.55 p.m. on Wednesday 10th. ("How could this kiss save their lives? Why did this pipe mean sudden death? What was the fateful message of this flickering light?" to which answers are probably "Sharing germs and building up an immune response", "COPD" and "Can you repeat the questions more slowly?" respectively) It looks as if it could make a good double bill with Lars von Trier's Europa!

I love the rather tortured/ingenious way that they manage to get OSS from COLOSSAL in that trailer too!

Film4 are also bringing City Slickers back into repeat rotation next week for the first time in a few years, along with showing Halloween III: Season of the Witch at 11.45 p.m. on Saturday 6th (which has screened a few times on the Horror channel recently but this is the first screening on one of the major channels for a while). There is also an edited-for-nudity version of Yentl showing on BBC2 at 2 p.m. on Sunday 7th, which obviously means that the film is now ruined and everyone should track down the BFI disc instead! And ITV4 is showing a double bill of RoboCop and RoboCop 2 from 9 p.m. on Sunday 7th.

jlnight

#1146 Post by jlnight » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:51 am

Soapbox Derby, Sat 13th Feb, Talking Pictures.
Eyewitness (1970), Sat 13th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 17th Feb. (been on London Live)

Britt-Marie Was Here, Sun 14th Feb, BBC4.
The Girl in the Picture (1986), Sun 14th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 18th Feb.

Women Behind Bars (1975), late Mon 15th Feb, London Live. (Franco on TV!)

Stan & Ollie, Fri 19th Feb, BBC1.
Shooting Fish, Fri 19th Feb, London Live.
Dark Encounter, Fri 19th Feb, Film4.

My Man Godfrey was an unexpected delight. The advanced listings had it down as the 1957 remake but yes, it was the 1936 version.

colinr0380

#1147 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Very interesting group of films next week, albeit mostly seeming to be themed around elderly ladies having end of life flings with the younger generation:

As jlnight has noted there is a rare film premiere on BBC1 with Stan and Ollie showing at 8.25 p.m. on Friday 19th.

BBC2 is showing Edie at 10.45 p.m. on Sunday 14th, though it is also repeated on BBC4 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 18th where it gets followed by a programme in which Sheila Hancock explores the history of watercolour painting. And also on BBC2 at 11.20 p.m. on Friday 19th is the concert film Muse: Simulation Theory.

BBC4 is showing Swedish film Britt-Marie Was Here at 10 p.m. on Sunday 14th. And the Storyville season continues at 9 p.m. on Monday 15th with Whirlybird: Live Above L.A.

Channel 4 is showing The Little Stranger, a ghost story with Charlotte Rampling, at 9 p.m. on Saturday 13th.

Film4 is showing Love, Simon at 9 p.m. on Sunday 13th (yes, that means that three premieres of the week clash together on Sunday night). But the film that I am most interested in next week is Dark Encounter showing on Film4 at 11.15 p.m. on Friday 19th.
___

Repeat-wise, BBC2 is showing The Deer Hunter at 10 p.m. on Saturday 13th, there is a rare showing of An Officer And A Gentleman on Channel 5 at 10 p.m. on Sunday 14th and Film4 is showing Beautiful Thing at 11.20 p.m. on Wednesday 17th. But most exciting is that BBC4 is beginning to repeat the 1971 series Elizabeth R starring Glenda Jackson from 9 p.m. on Wednesday 17th.

BBC4 is also repeating All Aboard! New Zealand by Rail, Sea and Land at 11.25 p.m. on Wednesday 17th as well, in case anyone feels in need of traveling without the fear of being fined or imprisoned for the trouble.

jlnight

#1148 Post by jlnight » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:52 am

Big Catch (CFF), Sat 20th Feb, Talking Pictures.
The Barefoot Contessa, Sat 20th Feb, Sony Movies Classic.
Switching Channels, Sat 20th Feb, Talking Pictures.
Beware My Brethren (The Fiend), Sat 20th Feb, Talking Pictures.

Isle of Dogs, Sun 21st Feb, Channel 4.

Amanda (2018), late Mon 22nd Feb, Film4.

Shallow Grave, Tue 23rd Feb, Film4. (followed by Trainspotting and The Acid House)

Eugenie De Sade (1970), late Wed 24th Feb, London Live. (more Franco on TV!)

colinr0380

#1149 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Really good next week. The biggest films of the week are Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs showing on Channel 4 at 6 p.m. on Sunday 21st, along with Upgrade on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Friday 26th.

BBC4's Storyville season continues with Into The Storm: Surfing To Survive at 9 p.m. on Monday 22nd

The most interesting film of the week is the French drama Amanda on Film4 at 1.25 a.m. on Tuesday 23rd.

The Horror channel is showing zombie film Redcon-1 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 20th.

After the BBC decided to belatedly show Battlestar: Galactica recently, the next surprising US television series hitting the primetime schedules is the 2013 Bates Motel series, with the first two episodes of season 1 showing on BBC1 from 10.45 p.m. on Tuesday 23rd.

Repeat-wise, BBC2 comfortably wins the week with a Hitchcock weekend of The 39 Steps at 1 p.m. on Saturday 20th and a double bill of The Lady Vanishes and Suspicion from 1.35 p.m. on Sunday 21st. Also on BBC2 and helpfully tying into the current list project is a season of Cary Grant films with Bringing Up Baby at 1 p.m. on Monday 22nd, The Bishop's Wife at 1 p.m. on Tuesday 23rd and Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House at 1 p.m. on Wednesday 24th. And to cap the week off BBC2 is also showing Empire of the Sun at 11.20 p.m. on Friday 26th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1150 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:09 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm

The most interesting film of the week is the French drama Amanda on Film4 at 1.25 a.m. on Tuesday 23rd.
If you haven’t already, don’t watch the trailer or read anything about Amanda, just see it and then join the discussion here