Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Roger Ryan

Re: Streaming Services

#101 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu May 28, 2020 7:56 am

RIP Film wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Even if you order hbomax directly through Hulu or YoutubeTV, it simply won’t play on Roku or Fire.

Yeah... They can go to hell.
I use YouTube TV as a replacement for cable and subscribe to Showtime through the service, but HBO had not been an option so I subscribed separately to HBO Now. YouTube TV just sent out an email that HBO MAX is now available on the service, but if you read it closely, only the traditional HBO catalog is actually available on YouTube TV; the MAX content can only be viewed on a separate app which, as you say, is not available on Roku or Fire. Why even bother.

criterionsnob

#102 Post by criterionsnob » Fri May 29, 2020 1:10 pm

dadaistnun wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 pm
Right now they have a selection of Denis Cote films (Bestiaire, Carcasses, Curling, Elle Veut le Chaos, Our Private Lives, and Drifting States)
After watching the Curling Blu-ray from Second Run, I've been watching all of these Denis Côté films on Spamflix. Being Canadian, I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't seen any of them until now, and I had no idea how prolific he is. I was in touch with Spamflix on a technical issue (since resolved), and they told me they are now in negotiation for 4 more of his films. Some of them are pretty hard to find, so this is great news.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#103 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Here is a legal-ish way to install HBO Max on a Fire device that's actually quite easy and quick to do

I can confirm that it works, though it'll show up in your recent apps as HBO Now, so be aware of that. And don't forget to do the step of uninstalling the existing instance of anything HBO first.

ianungstad

#104 Post by ianungstad » Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 pm

It looks like here in Canada all the new original series are just being added to the regular Crave/HBO service at no extra charge.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#105 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 pm

BTW, if something had an aspect ratio issue prior to this if watched via HBO, it still does. Die Hard is 16x9, for one

Dr Amicus

#106 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 am

Anybody else here get BFI Player via Amazon Prime? I've just started, mainly for the Japanese season and Cousins' Women Make Film, and am watching most of the films on my laptop. I've noticed a few of the early Kurosawa's are stretched to fill the 16:9 screen - Sanshiro Sugata was fine but Part II wasn't and so are several others. I haven't worked out if I can correct the image on my laptop, but I can on my TV (I have to lower the output to SD which means I can then change the aspect ratio via the TV controls - which I can't do if the input signal is HD). Has anyone else had this issue? And is this the same on the standalone player?

schellenbergk

#107 Post by schellenbergk » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:45 pm

So - the New York Times referred to FANDOR in an article today about films for Pride Month. . . I'm surprised they still exist? I thought it went inactive shortly after FilmStruck died. Can anyone enlighten?

Is there any point to it now that Criterion Channel exists?

RIP Film

#108 Post by RIP Film » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 am

Got a trial and watched The Wind Rises last night. Some strange stuff going on with the subtitles, words are frequently jammedtogether without useof a space. Kind of annoying.

flyonthewall2983

#109 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 pm
BTW, if something had an aspect ratio issue prior to this if watched via HBO, it still does. Die Hard is 16x9, for one
Alien is in the proper OAR, as are 3 and Resurrection. Enemy Of The State is one that's stil 16x9 despite other Disney titles they have currently being in the proper OAR too. AFAIK new movies are being kept in the proper ratio, and even some newer ones that were previously P&S'd are now fully widescreen, like The Nice Guys.

hanshotfirst1138

#110 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:01 am

RIP Film wrote:Even if you order hbomax directly through Hulu or YoutubeTV, it simply won’t play on Roku or Fire.

Yeah... They can go to hell.
That’s such bullshit. Hopefully they’ll change it; they struck a deal with Comcast to allow Xfinity login, so maybe they’ll make a deal with them too.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#111 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:47 pm

For anyone in the US: thanks to the HBO Go/Now/Max confusion, Warners is retiring HBO Go in the by July 31 and giving HBO Max to everyone who had Go (ie, everyone subscribed to HBO the cable service). I've already been able to log into HBO Max through my cable provider without adding any new subscription, so I think the merging of Go and Max has already taken place. This does mean that anyone who watches Go through a Roku or a Fire is out of luck starting August, barring a new app.

Also, whatever films on the service that are licensed from Criterion/Janus just use Criterion's current master of said film without changes (ie, Blood Simple opens with a Janus logo, is in 5.1, and has minor extra foley; The Circus opens with a Criterion logo; etc).

fdm

#112 Post by fdm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38 pm

If only Criterion Channel itself would bother to support/provide 5.1

perkizitore

#113 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 pm

fdm wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38 pm
If only Criterion Channel itself would bother to support/provide 5.1
or 4K where available

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#114 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Is there any way to search for films by language or country of origin on Amazon Prime? I keep stumbling upon recent French films I’ve wanted to see available to rent with zero fanfare and I wonder if there’s not an easier way to find them than just searching for every French actor I can think of

knives

#115 Post by knives » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 pm

I've been trying to with Korean cinema and it seems like no. Letterboxd seems like the easiest way right now by going to their country page and filtering for Amazon.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#116 Post by ando » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 pm
Is there any way to search for films by language or country of origin on Amazon Prime? I keep stumbling upon recent French films I’ve wanted to see available to rent with zero fanfare and I wonder if there’s not an easier way to find them than just searching for every French actor I can think of
Sorry for stating the obvious but have you tried a "French language" search? I got 848 results. Granted, you get everything French related listed but (from a cursory glance) there's plenty. I'm buffeting my Spanish instruction by watching novelas on the app. The "Spanish language" search has yielded fun results.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#117 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 pm

The first few returns are accurate, but it isn’t long before films in English and other non-matches return, so unfortunately it’s not particularly helpful

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#118 Post by ando » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:53 am

For you, perhaps, but a French language search yields enough results with English titles of original French content to please most. I've found similar results for other languages. A Prime only filter will, of course, reduce the number of results. Results for Japanese language content are interesting. Even the four titles in Swahili. Thanks for the query, in any event. Feels like a new portal.

thirtyframesasecond

#119 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:52 am

In a very welcome curveball, Netflix UK suddenly has half a dozen or so Youssef Chahine films currently streaming!

Glowingwabbit

#120 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:59 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:52 am
In a very welcome curveball, Netflix UK suddenly has half a dozen or so Youssef Chahine films currently streaming!
Netflix US has them now too

bad future

#121 Post by bad future » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Wow, Netflix US actually has a full dozen!

The Blazing Sun (1954)
Dark Waters (1956)
Cairo Station (1958)
Saladin (1963)
The Land (1970)
Return of the Prodigal Son (1976)
Alexandria... Why? (1979)
Alexandria: An Egyptian Story (1982)
Alexandria Again and Forever (1989)
The Emigrant (1994)
Destiny (1997)
The Other (1999)

I’ve only ever seen Cairo Station and the first Alexandria, wasn’t even aware of half of these...

A man stayed-put

#122 Post by A man stayed-put » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 am

They all seem decent to excellent picture quality-wise but, unless it's a glitch on my end, the subs on Saladin are massively out of sync.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#123 Post by ando » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Nice sampling of the late Ian Holm's work on Prime Video, including his turn as King Lear in 1998.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#124 Post by ando » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Doing the CBS All Access channel on Prime trial for a week. The five seasons of the original Twilight Zone was the draw and the Godfather Trilogy sealed it. TZ was old reliable during my 15 year stint with Netflix. Hopefully there are other iconic series to binge on during workouts. CBS has had a few.

dws1982

#125 Post by dws1982 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm

CBS seems to working to expand their catalog of series (and movies) available. They seem to be trying to get exclusive streaming rights to some series they own that have been on multiple platforms for years. I suspect that Cheers (which is on All Access) and The Andy Griffith Show (which is not, but I suspect will show up soon) leaving Netflix this month have a lot to do with that. I should probably be embarrassed to admit it but I keep CBS All Access partially to rewatch old episodes of Survivor, which is my number one guilty pleasure (and easy background noise when I'm working).