Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Streaming Services

#1 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:37 pm

We have a podcast thread, but a quick search doesn't turn up anything on YouTube.

Anyone have any good channels to recommend? I'm not normally one for sitting around and watching things on my computer (I put money into a decent home theater for a reason!) but over the last few months have been enjoying a couple of channels mentioned on this forum, namely the video game focused Errant Signal and film show Every Frame a Painting. What is everybody else watching?

flyonthewall2983

Re: Youtube and other streaming

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:53 pm

The only thing I watch with any regularity besides clips of Colbert, Stewart and Letterman is the Kevin Pollak Chat Show. That's a bit hit and miss with me, but not too much.

One service that I've really enjoyed lately is Qello.

D50

#3 Post by D50 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:13 am

Moving Image Source video essays, movingimagesource.us/

Pinewood Dialogues, movingimagesource.us/, "Discussions with creative figures in film, television, and digital media..."

Video Essays, vimeo.com/

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:19 pm

This ~2 minute YouTube horror film is definitely worth watching (especially at night when no one else is home, of course). There's a whole culture of little style exercises in horror like this cropping up on YT, but this one especially gets at and exploits an elemental (if admittedly silly) fear a lot of people have and does it with an unnerving simplicity in execution

Oedipax

#5 Post by Oedipax » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 pm

DP/30 is great for long form interviews with a lot of prominent filmmakers/actors/etc. It's depressing to me how low the views on that channel are a lot of the time, actually, given the caliber of people that come on regularly. Much of what succeeds on YouTube is kind of despair-inducing.

Mr Sausage

#6 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:17 am

domino harvey wrote:This ~2 minute YouTube horror film is definitely worth watching (especially at night when no one else is home, of course). There's a whole culture of little style exercises in horror like this cropping up on YT, but this one especially gets at and exploits an elemental (if admittedly silly) fear a lot of people have and does it with an unnerving simplicity in execution
God knows how many times I've frightened myself silly imagining the same sort of thing late at night in bed. I am very happy I'm not sleeping alone tonight. Impressive little movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Considering my bedroom is similarly situated at the end of a long hallway, that video has done nothing for my sanity on late nites! The same team also made this short, which is pretty clever conceptually even if the final jolt doesn't quite work as well as the build up

Mr Sausage

#8 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I really like this one. Pulled off a concept in fourteen seconds that The Conjuring never quite managed over three separate tries.

Feego

#9 Post by Feego » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 am

This may not be exactly what the OP was asking for in terms of original content (and perhaps this would be more appropriate in the Animation List thread), but this channel features some great, vintage Russian animation that as far as I know is probably not available on home video outside of Russia (if even there).

Red Screamer

#10 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:57 pm

The construction of this 3 minute video is really impressive and is full of Edgar Wright-style rapid-fire puzzlejokes.

Feego

#11 Post by Feego » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:35 am

I've been loving this guy's self-made music videos using movie clips. While everyone and their brother tries their hand at this, this person really has a knack for matching tone, lyrics, and the visual rhythm of the original films.

These are my favorites:

Night Things - "Sleeping Beauty," set to clips from Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

Navvi - "Speak," set to clips from Repulsion (pretty spoilerific if you haven't seen the movie)

King Krule - "Border Line," set to clips from various classic Hollywood musicals (check out that nifty balloon popping sync-up at 1:58)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:44 pm

domino harvey wrote:This ~2 minute YouTube horror film is definitely worth watching (especially at night when no one else is home, of course). There's a whole culture of little style exercises in horror like this cropping up on YT, but this one especially gets at and exploits an elemental (if admittedly silly) fear a lot of people have and does it with an unnerving simplicity in execution
Hey, this guy is making a feature film version produced by James Wan. Here's hoping it's just two hours of Teresa Palmer flipping a light switch on and off

Murdoch

#13 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:09 pm

jindianajonz wrote:[...]but over the last few months have been enjoying a couple of channels mentioned on this forum, namely the video game focused Errant Signal[...]
A bit late here, but I recently discovered this channel and it's been my go-to for game criticism, along with Super Bunnyhop and Feminist Frequency. YouTube has really done wonders for bringing critical thinking to the medium and as a someone who spends the bulk of his free time playing video games, it's nice to see people pushing the envelope. What's more, it's become a sort of preservation tool for forgotten games from decades past with the sheer amount of let's play channels, exposing younger generations to games that even at the time weren't well-known. Did You Know Gaming is another channel worth checking out to anyone as interested in game history and production as myself - each video brings up some fan theory or industry knowledge that I never would've known or thought about otherwise (such as Bethesda once thinking about doing an open-world Game of Thrones game).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Hey, this guy is making a feature film version produced by James Wan. Here's hoping it's just two hours of Teresa Palmer flipping a light switch on and off
Here's the trailer, looks like it may very well be two hours of Teresa Palmer flipping a light switch on and off

dx23

Re: Roku, Apple TV, and Other Streaming Devices

#15 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Disney just announced that they are creating their own streaming service in 2019 and an ESPN one next year. I'm getting really tired of the fragmenting of all this content through different streaming services. Might as well pay for cable instead.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Movie Boon for LA and New York City Library Cardholders

#16 Post by ando » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:56 am

LA and New York City library cardholders can now view thousands of movies from respective catalogs, included the entire Criterion Collection, via the Kanopy streaming service.

Details

Some kinks to work out but, overall, it's not bad for a free service.

aox

Re: Movie Boon for LA and New York City Library Cardholders

#17 Post by aox » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm

ando wrote:LA and New York City library cardholders can now view thousands of movies from respective catalogs, included the entire Criterion Collection, via the Kanopy streaming service.

Details

I signed up for this today (NYPL) and this is just incredible. You only get 10 movies a month, but it's such a valuable resource I implore all locals to check it out. I also think the Brooklyn PL is offering the same deal so if you have a card for each, conceivably you have 20 a month (I have both so I'll be looking into this).

knives

Re: Streaming Services

#18 Post by knives » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 pm

They have a particularly great selection of silent films but probably the best collection they have in the sense that it is otherwise so hard to get a hand on is California Newsreel.

jbeall

#19 Post by jbeall » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm

ando wrote:LA and New York City library cardholders can now view thousands of movies from respective catalogs, included the entire Criterion Collection, via the Kanopy streaming service.

Details

Also, most academics and college students have access to this. My wife teaches at UGA, while I teach at a smaller public college in Georgia, and we both have access to Kanopy through our respective schools. We've got it synced up to our Roku. Looks like they have about half of the Criterion Collection available to stream.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#20 Post by ando » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 pm

jbeall wrote:Looks like they have about half of the Criterion Collection available to stream.
Yeah, it seems that way. The CC titles don't stream with the resolution equal to that on Filmstruck but it's a nice alternative.

Minkin

#21 Post by Minkin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

For those who aren't in either LA or NYC, do check anyway - as your library might subscribe to Kanopy. My town is part of the service, but we only get 5 titles per month.

There's probably an easier way to do it, but I went to the LA County Kanopy link, then chose "Add a new Library" - type in your library and then it should show up as a choice if they subscribe. Create an account, enter library card #, confirm email and there you go.

aox

#22 Post by aox » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 am

That worked perfectly for my Roku in the bedroom. Thanks. But, I see that they still haven't developed an app for Apple TV (of course, I know I can screen mirror). Hope that is coming soon just for 1st world convenience problems.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am

Kanopy's available in Baltimore County but not Baltimore City. Carcetti would never have done this to us

thirtyframesasecond

#24 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm

jbeall wrote:

Details

Also, most academics and college students have access to this. My wife teaches at UGA, while I teach at a smaller public college in Georgia, and we both have access to Kanopy through our respective schools. We've got it synced up to our Roku. Looks like they have about half of the Criterion Collection available to stream.
Kanopy is moving into the UK too - I set it up at my last workplace, but then moved to another place that doesn't have it!

Gregor Samsa

#25 Post by Gregor Samsa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Kanopy is also available in Australia.