Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Streaming Services

#201 Post by ando » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:50 am

D50 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:32 pm
ando wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:53 pm
Anyone know of any sites for browsing the Netflix catalog like instantwatcher.com (which ceased to update NF titles mid May of this year)?
justwatch
Thanks.

hanshotfirst1138

#202 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:59 am

ando wrote:
hanshotfirst1138 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:21 pm
Is there any way to get 24p streaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Need the right player (receiver). Fire Stick won't do it. From what I've gathered the Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player is a sure shot. Gotta be others out there but you'll need to do the research.
Damn, so I have I go 4K for it? Figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knives

#203 Post by knives » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Le Cinema Club is showing Michael Snow's The Living Room this week. Is this the first non-backchannel non-theatrical showing of one of his films?

senseabove

#204 Post by senseabove » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:11 pm

At the very least, beating it by about a week, WVLNT and Puccini Conservato are currently streaming here: https://mediacityfilmfestival.com/thousandsuns-cinema/

knives

#205 Post by knives » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:34 pm

...And Barbra Hammer has films there too. That's a tight line-up.

flyonthewall2983

#206 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:43 pm

HBOmax is on Roku devices starting tomorrow

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#207 Post by ando » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:16 am

Classic Arts Showcase is a 24 hour streaming visual performance art channel also carried by numerous television affiliates. I grew up watching it on the local city university channel (Cunytv) during the wee hours of the morning but never knew it streamed perpetually til today. Not sure who provides the funding. Wiki entry.

The clips mostly feature European/American classical works and/or pieces taken from longer works, normally no longer than 5 to 10 minutes long with, as you might expect, a generous amount of Christmas related content now.

thirtyframesasecond

#208 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Klassiki Online is launching in the next few weeks - http://klassiki.online

Focus is on Russian and Soviet/post-Soviet cinema.

Justine Waddell, who you might know from Tarsem's 'The Fall' (or for UK-ers late-90s BBC adaptations of Great Expectations and Wives & Daughters), launched Kino Klassika, who are behind this initiative - she made a film in Russia back in the day and developed a love for its cinema.

The Kino Klassika foundation has streamed films whilst cinemas have been closed, so I imagine these are the kinds of films that will be on the platform - https://www.kinoklassikafoundation.org/ ... oklassiki/

So you've got Parajanov, Norstein, Ioselliani, Konchalovsky, Mikhalkov, Bauer, Kozintsev, etc.

beamish14

#209 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:25 pm

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#210 Post by ando » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:49 am

WmS

#211 Post by WmS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:31 am

The National Gallery of Art in DC has been running a really excellent online series since the first pandemic lockdowns--

this week is The Inheritance by Ephraim Asili, viewing Black radical politics in Philly through the lens of La Chinoise.

https://www.nga.gov/film-programs.html

...their link's broken, here's the right one: https://www.nga.gov/audio-video/film-pr ... tance.html

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#212 Post by ando » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:44 am

WmS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:31 am
The National Gallery of Art in DC has been running a really excellent online series since the first pandemic lockdowns--
Stations of the Elevated! Image

flyonthewall2983

#213 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:41 pm

The new service Coda Collection drops next month on Prime video, with a focus on documentaries and concert films. Logo looks kind of familiar.

thirtyframesasecond

#214 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Netflix UK has just had loads of Swedish films added - including some Victor Sjostrom and Mauritz Stiller's 'Sir Arne's Treasure'!

thirtyframesasecond

#215 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Klassiki Online has launched, with Ralph Fiennes (a trustee) doing a short Q&A beforehand (unfortunately I only caught the very end). As mentioned before, some Soviet/Russian classics - Battleship Potemkin, the Norstein animations, Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors, My Friend Ivan Lapshin, Kozintsev's Hamlet, etc. A good range, spanning the decades and also the different Soviet countries, including Central Asia (Repentance, which was part of Scorsese's World Cinema Project is here). Subscribers have access to 60 films, not sure if it rotates a la Mubi. You may have free access to some films without being a member.

perkypat

#216 Post by perkypat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:56 am

Klassiki Online is free to everyone until 4 April. After that, for £5.99/month you get the full selection, plus a new film each week(Pick of the Week), though some of the permanent collection remains free. I assume they will add films to the paid service as time goes on. Looks like a pretty decent selection.

Aunt Peg

#217 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:22 am

Mubi have added Cathy Yan's Dead Pigs (2018) in Australia (and probably other territories as well). Well worth catching.

I didn't realise the Cathy Yan went on to direct Birds of Prey (2020). Now I'm curious to check that out.

Boosmahn

#219 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:50 am

The PlayStation Store will discontinue its film and TV rental service in light of the "tremendous growth [of] subscription-based and ad-based entertainment streaming services." It will close in August.

senseabove

#220 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:51 pm

Not sure if we have a more appropriate thread for this—kinda surprised, after this year, that we don't have a "miscellaneous short-term streaming things" thread?—but Harvard Film Archive is streaming four 1960s Taiwanese films for free, two starting tomorrow and two the following week, followed by a third week with a lecture.
PROGRAM ONE
The Husband’s Secret
丈夫的秘密
May 13th, Night of Sorrow
五月十三傷心夜

PROGRAM TWO
Early Train from Taipei
台北發的早車
Dangerous Youth
危險的青春

PROGRAM THREE
Lectures and conversation by Dr. Chun-Chi Wang and Dr. Evelyn Shih

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#221 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:34 pm

Next month, the UCLA Film and Television Archive is doing a screening of the incredibly rare (and never available on video) The Plastic Dome of Norma Jean. I caught this during the Juleen Compton double-feature during their festival of restoration four years ago (where she was in the audience but didn’t feel up for a Q&A) and have been surprised it hasn’t found a bigger audience as it has a sort of dreamlike quality that I think adventurous movie watchers would enjoy today. That’s on top of the sort of “cool” factor of it being a rediscovered fairly unseen film. Plus it has a gorgeous score by Michel Legrand and an incredibly young Sam Waterson.

Aunt Peg

#222 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 am

MUBI (depending where you are no doubt) may be screening Cristi Puiu's Malmkrog (2020)

hearthesilence

#223 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 pm

Maybe this can get its own film thread, but Baltimore-based filmmaker Rob Tregenza uploaded Talking to Strangers on his Vimeo page on Thursday for rental and purchase. It was released on VHS back in the day and it looks like the same master was used, which is understandable - despite its reputation, it's never been a lucrative film. It was actually shot on 35mm and mixed with Dolby Stereo sound to boot, but it was entirely financed by Tregenza, with no grant money or investors.

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum (and there's only been a handful of posts on him, many of which are no longer accessible), he is a Kansas native who got his graduate degree in theater at UCLA before moving out to Baltimore where he and his wife (and producer) set up shop making corporate films and advertisements. (This is pretty much how he financed Strangers.) They also had their own distribution company for international and indie art films. Tregenza eventually made his feature-length debut with Strangers which got some Spirit Award noms and a screening at the Berlin Film Festival (outside of the main competition), but it was rejected by every high profile festival in the U.S. Some critics like Jonathan Rosenbaum and especially Dave Kehr championed it early on - Kehr had already jumped from the Chicago Reader to the Chicago Tribune (home of Gene Siskel, who was somewhat demoted from film critic to film columnist due to a spat involving his TV show with Ebert), and he put a spotlight on it when he covered the Berlin Film Festival, noting that it was already getting festival rejections in America. When it finally got a screening in Chicago, he wrote a full-length review, as did Rosenbaum for the Reader. (It's unclear if it played at what's now the Gene Siskel Center that May like it was originally announced, but it did screen there that fall.) NYC finally caught on and it got a run of sorts at Lincoln Center around Christmas in 1991. I think the last time it played in NYC was in 2013 by Light Industry, where Matthew Porterfield moderated a Q&A with Tregenza, and Richard Brody gave a generous write-up in the New Yorker for that one. Tregenza went on to shoot Werckmeister Harmonies which seems appropriate given the long 10-minute takes and dazzling moving camerawork in Strangers.

beamish14

#224 Post by beamish14 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 pm
Maybe this can get its own film thread, but Baltimore-based filmmaker Rob Tregenza uploaded Talking to Strangers on his Vimeo page on Thursday for rental and purchase. It was released on VHS back in the day and it looks like the same master was used, which is understandable - despite its reputation, it's never been a lucrative film. It was actually shot on 35mm and mixed with Dolby Stereo sound to boot, but it was entirely financed by Tregenza, with no grant money or investors.

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum (and there's only been a handful of posts on him, many of which are no longer accessible), he is a Kansas native who got his graduate degree in theater at UCLA before moving out to Baltimore where he and his wife (and producer) set up shop making corporate films and advertisements. (This is pretty much how he financed Strangers.) They also had their own distribution company for international and indie art films. Tregenza eventually made his feature-length debut with Strangers which got some Spirit Award noms and a screening at the Berlin Film Festival (outside of the main competition), but it was rejected by every high profile festival in the U.S. Some critics like Jonathan Rosenbaum and especially Dave Kehr championed it early on - Kehr had already jumped from the Chicago Reader to the Chicago Tribune (home of Gene Siskel, who was somewhat demoted from film critic to film columnist due to a spat involving his TV show with Ebert), and he put a spotlight on it when he covered the Berlin Film Festival, noting that it was already getting festival rejections in America. When it finally got a screening in Chicago, he wrote a full-length review, as did Rosenbaum for the Reader. (It's unclear if it played at what's now the Gene Siskel Center that May like it was originally announced, but it did screen there that fall.) NYC finally caught on and it got a run of sorts at Lincoln Center around Christmas in 1991. I think the last time it played in NYC was in 2013 by Light Industry, where Matthew Porterfield moderated a Q&A with Tregenza, and Richard Brody gave a generous write-up in the New Yorker for that one. Tregenza went on to shoot Werckmeister Harmonies which seems appropriate given the long 10-minute takes and dazzling moving camerawork in Strangers.
Thank you so much for the heads-up. I've been able to rent Inside/Out, but his 1991 feature The Arc remains incredibly elusive. I also love Tregenza's DP work on Alex Cox's immensely underrated Three Businessmen.

hearthesilence

#225 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:45 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 pm
Thank you so much for the heads-up. I've been able to rent Inside/Out, but his 1991 feature The Arc remains incredibly elusive. I also love Tregenza's DP work on Alex Cox's immensely underrated Three Businessmen.
You're welcome! I'll have to check out Cox's film - except for Sid and Nancy, which I really enjoyed with some reservations, Cox's work was more or less a blindspot until I caught up with Highway Patrolman at the start of the pandemic. (Absolutely loved it, and the Kino BD is excellent.)

There wasn't even a Wikipedia page for Talking to Strangers until now, so it's a little disheartening that his work can get that kind of praise from Dave Kehr and Jean-Luc Godard and still be thoroughly obscure. It reminds me of something Moby said about one of his flops: if you're only going to get two fan letters for it, those are the letters you want.

FWIW, here's a rare feature-length newspaper interview on Tregenza from Ann Hornaday for the Baltimore Sun when Inside/Out was being released.