Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Dr Amicus

Re: Streaming Services

#226 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri May 07, 2021 10:41 am

Looking at the BBFC pages, it seems that a fair number of (recent?) Polish films are about to drop on Netflix if they haven't already.

schellenbergk

#227 Post by schellenbergk » Mon May 10, 2021 4:43 pm

I’m seeing a bunch of interesting classics films showing up on HBOmax - for example “pepe ke moko” with the Criterion logo. Anybody know whats up with this?

paulm

#228 Post by paulm » Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 pm

schellenbergk wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:43 pm
I’m seeing a bunch of interesting classics films showing up on HBOmax - for example “pepe ke moko” with the Criterion logo. Anybody know whats up with this?
When FilmStruck shut down (which was Criterion + TCM/Warner branding), they announced that Criterion stuff would be showing up on HBOmax. I haven't really been able to tell if there is much rhyme or reason to which titles are on HBOmax, but it seems to be drawn from mostly the Criterion/Janus owned titles that should also be "permanent" titles on the Criterion Channel app.

Roger Ryan

#229 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am

paulm wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 pm
schellenbergk wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:43 pm
When FilmStruck shut down (which was Criterion + TCM/Warner branding), they announced that Criterion stuff would be showing up on HBOmax. I haven't really been able to tell if there is much rhyme or reason to which titles are on HBOmax, but it seems to be drawn from mostly the Criterion/Janus owned titles that should also be "permanent" titles on the Criterion Channel app.
HBOMax has a pretty full TCM tier among its offerings which includes lots of titles associated with Criterion. I was also pleased to discover the service has the 2021TCM Film Festival titles/supplementary content.

hearthesilence

#230 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 14, 2021 10:47 am

I just logged into Netflix and they don't seem to have any Woody Allen films. Did they pull them because of the Farrows' allegations or was their availability always spotty? I don't have an account and I haven't personally browsed Netflix's listing in a while (maybe years), so this is probably very old news.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#231 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 14, 2021 10:49 am

HBO Max has several of them and they aired the doc, so I doubt that'd be the reason any are missing on Netflix

Dr Amicus

#232 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri May 14, 2021 10:54 am

Netflix UK gets several now and again - certainly Manhattan Murder Mystery was still there last night.

Dylan

#233 Post by Dylan » Fri May 14, 2021 12:08 pm

When I had Netflix in July, 2020, I believe Blue Jasmine was on there. I suppose it could've been pulled due to Allen v. Farrow, or perhaps they didn't renew the streaming rights. Netflix does seem to handle controversial films on a case-by-case basis (i.e. they kept Cuties available, but they shelved Gore due to Kevin Spacey's involvement).

Fiery Angel

#234 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri May 14, 2021 2:37 pm

Prime has several Allen films.

paulm

#235 Post by paulm » Fri May 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Netflix US also only has like 20 total English language movies streaming from the 70s and 80s, so I don't think this is some grand conspiracy against Woody Allen.

hearthesilence

#236 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 14, 2021 3:10 pm

I was primarily looking for Bullets Over Broadway (1994), but point taken.

willoneill

#237 Post by willoneill » Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Manhattan Murder Mystery is on Netflix in Canada.

hearthesilence

#238 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 20, 2021 11:29 pm

I'm very late on this, but Filmmuseum München is streaming a retrospective on Jon Jost from May 13 to July 4th, a great opportunity to see his films for free.

All the Vermeers in New York has unfortunately come and gone, and tonight is the last night you can catch Last Chants for a Slow Dance. Even though it's past midnight in Germany, I was still able to stream it, but Thursday, May 20 was supposed to be the last day so try to catch it if you can. It's actually a beautiful-looking HD transfer, possibly a brand-new one!

hearthesilence

#239 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Just to follow up, I had only seen Last Chants for a Slow Dance on a crummy old VHS tape, so streaming it via Filmmuseum München was an amazing treat. The film cost $2,000 make - sound's rough in spots, all available light, 16mm film, a cast that (except for the lead and one female character) is essentially locals with no professional experience...and the mise-en-scène is brilliant, all the more impressive seeing it within long takes with the production values of a cinema vérité documentary. Having just watched it, it really sinks in during the final 7 or 10 minute close-up that it's like watching everything Bruce Springsteen's music aspired to be condensed into that single shot - and the music I had in mind came out between 1978 and 1982! (This was released in 1977.) It's very certain Jost would hate that comparison, but I say this as a big Springsteen fan, and it just tickles me because those years were heavily influenced by Springsteen's emerging cinephilia, yet he focused on classic Hollywood so it's doubtful he ever saw this.

If you miss Filmmuseum München's stream, you can rent it from Jost's own Vimeo page. I'm not sure if it's the same HD transfer, but you can certainly contact him and ask.

Roger Ryan

#240 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri May 21, 2021 12:38 pm

In case anyone was wondering what happened to all that original programming produced for the now-defunct Quibi streaming service, it now lives on the Roku Channel branded as "Roku Originals" and is all free. I hadn't heard the news that Roku had acquired the library back in January, so I was taken aback from the sudden appearance of so many "Roku Original" shows being promoted... until I noticed every episode of every series was less than ten minutes each!

hearthesilence

#241 Post by hearthesilence » Wed May 26, 2021 6:58 pm

The Jon Jost retrospective continues with Rembrandt Laughing. Streaming free for only two more days!

Finch

#242 Post by Finch » Fri May 28, 2021 12:20 pm

As per Variety, Amazon's purchase of MGM precludes the entire film slate prior to 1986, due to a deal MGM made with Turner Broadcasting.

edit: Variety's wording is confusing: if it is the "entire slate prior to 1986" then why would Amazon have rights to Twelve Angry Men and The Magnificent Seven which Variety cite as being available to Prime?

Calvin

#243 Post by Calvin » Fri May 28, 2021 1:39 pm

The films made by MGM themselves before May 1986 have been owned by Turner and distributed by Warner ever since, well, 1986. Hence Warner releasing The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, etc.

12 Angry Men and The Magnificent Seven are not MGM films but United Artists, whose catalog is owned by MGM and will therefore be included in this Amazon buyout.

hearthesilence

#244 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 28, 2021 2:45 pm

That would make sense. MGM has distributed Woody Allen films made before 1986, but since those were UA and Orion productions, it would suggest that acquisitions of outside catalogs would explain the presence of anything that had been released earlier.

EDIT: Tweaked that because MGM bought UA in 1981.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#245 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:39 pm

Is it just me, or has Netflix's video quality gotten pretty abysmal? I've been watching Shadow and Bone, which eponymously has a lot of darkly lit scenes, and they look awful. The blacks are extremely crushed with tons of blocks popping in and out all over the place, and even the well lit scenes have a fuzziness around most characters that make it look like they are standing in front of a green screen. Even my girlfriend, who is usually immune to this sort of thing, has said that it's sometimes pulled her out of the show.

It's been a while since I've watched Netflix, but Hulu and Prime both come through just fine without these issues. Has anybody else noticed this, or is it a problem on my end?

therewillbeblus

#246 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:45 pm

I don't watch a lot of Netflix anymore, but I watched Bo Burnham's new.. 'thing' last night, and it looked fantastic. I'm curious how you're viewing it- I got a Roku TV last Fall and the Netflix quality is terrific streaming through there, but when played through my blu-ray player, or sometimes casting from my comp, the quality is a bit choppier (and without doing a side-by-side comparison, and without having Hulu at all, I don't recall this being as persistent with Amazon Prime content)

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#247 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:59 pm

I'm using a 4K capable Roku box, so I'd think it would handle it just fine. I'm watching on an old Panasonic plasma that's started to lose its brightness, so that may be a factor in some of the crushed blacks, but it wouldn't explain the blockiness or fuzziness around characters. I actually have a new TV arriving tomorrow, so I can try doing a comparison using the built in Netflix App and see if there's any improvement.

RIP Film

#248 Post by RIP Film » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:58 pm

On the topic of streamers, I really loathe what Amazon did to the Fire interface. It’s now a convoluted road map of ads and irrelevant apps, takes longer to start up and throws an “updating remote” screen on top of whatever you’re watching with strange frequency. I have a 4K Roku stick in my drawer but apparently it can’t do YouTube TV now? Can’t win.

dwk

#249 Post by dwk » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:08 pm

If you already have the YouTube TV app on the Roku it still works. YouTube also added access to YouTube TV to the regular YouTube app.

RIP Film

#250 Post by RIP Film » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Don’t have the app but didn’t know it worked through YouTube, thanks. Google seems to be the king of purposefully annoying design.