Recent Film Restorations

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Recent Film Restorations

#576 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:23 am

I was going only by the caps-a-holic caps, but I see it in those caps you've tweeted - I recall the film being mostly a brownish-amber (not sure how to describe it, but I can recognize it), so having brilliant teal popping out of a window feels new. I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I've seen the film and I don't think I've ever seen it projected.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#577 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 am

I don't either, it's just that I've never seen older movies in theaters having this kind of grading, so while it's obviously hard to pinpoint what's what precisely, I tend to associate this kind of grading with something purely digital and new, so nothing related to a 1992 movie shot on film.

The quite smooth aspect of many shots however clearly is digital, not a single doubt about that.

L.A.

#578 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:46 am

🇬🇧
➔ Fishermen and Fishing, by Leon Loissios along with Social Decay, by Stelios Tatassopoulos
➔ 28 June - 7 July, for FREE at online.tainiothiki.gr

From Monday 28th June until Wednesday 7th July, the Greek Film Archive will present online a restored copy of the unknown masterpiece Fishermen and Fishing, by Leon Loissios, produced in 1961 (22’), narrated by the acclaimed director Stavros Tornes and edited by Roviros Manthoulis. There will be also screened the classic silent film Social Decay (1932, 50’) by Stelios Tatassopoulos with French subtitles.

The screening of both films is on the 27th of June, at the LAIS Open-Air Cinema (21:15) and following this physical screening, from the 28th of June till 7th of July the films will be available for free, at the Film Archive’s digital cinema-theatre online.tainiothiki.gr.

The event was made possible thanks to the 'A Season of Classic Films’ programme, an initiative by ACE (Association des Cinémathèques Européennes), with the support of the Creative Europe MEDIA Programme.
Last edited by L.A. on Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

L.A.

#579 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:05 am

FREE SCREENING: Ukřižovaná (The Crucified, 1921, 61'), with English subtitles.

Boris Orlický, a director of Russian origin, took on the film script based on the novel of the same name by Jakub Arbes for the AB company. The story, which takes place during the 1866 riots in Poland during which peasants crucified a Jewish woman, is characterized by a number of dramatic scenes. The power of these scenes was further amplified by period color tinting, which was also reconstructed for the new acetate print. The acting performance of Přemysl Pražský in the role of the lovesick Father Xaver Schneider, who meets the son of his former beloved several times at key moments of the film, is particularly notable. The cast also includes Russian actors Nataša Cyganková and Alexandr Šuvalov as well as Karel Lamač, who stars in the double role of officer Karel and his son, the student Jan, who is looking for his lost mother.

Dizzcock & False Trance will perform live for the film. The Prague producer Dizzcock has been active on the music scene as a solo artist since 2014, when he released an EP called A.L. His music draws on the sound of contemporary progressive black dance music and also takes inspiration from the legacy of the British post-grime scene and in its slower passages from a blind offshoot of early dubstep. Dizzcock’s sound repertoire is complemented by trance and a melancholic instrumental trap sound influenced by the American beatmaker Suicideyear. The Prague producer also often dips into the current American rap mainstream with his use of vocal samples. False Trance is the solo electronic project of Ondřej Parus (of Ruin, Lightning Glove, and Sister / Body). His music is composed of repeating elements of neurotic volatility and is characterized by a dense, hypnotic sound, in which what is not playing is as important as what can be heard.

A Season of Classic Films is an initiative of the Association des Cinémathèques Européennes (ACE) to raise awareness of the work of national and regional film archives, connecting the public with cinema history and the preservation of film heritage. Twenty-two European film institutions are taking part this year offering free access to films from their precious collections. This screening is organised by the Národní filmový archiv, Prague. With the support of Creative Europe.

Stefan Andersson

#580 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:00 am

F W Murnau-Stiftung announces digital remasters of seven Helmut Käutner films from 1939-1942 plus a 1959 title, two Zarah Leander titles (Die grosse Liebe, Damals), Hotell Sacher starring Sybille Schmitz and more:
http://www.murnau-stiftung.de/news/erst ... tere-filme

Damals is out on DVD June 25, 2021:
http://www.murnau-stiftung.de/news/neue ... l-pictures

Calvin

#581 Post by Calvin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:18 am

I've been hoping that Kino had got Under the Bridge, considering they've released a couple of Kautners, but it doesn't seem like it's forthcoming...

L.A.

#582 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Thanks to Eye Filmmuseum restored Indonesian classic Tjoet nja’ Dhien / A Woman of Courage (1988) available to watch free of charge.
Tjoet nja’ Dhien by director Eros Djarot is an epic anti-colonial film about the Aceh war, the long and bloody struggle against the colonial Dutch rule in the sultanate of Aceh in Indonesia.
Trying to watch it on Eye Player but ”Unfortunately this films is not available in your country or region.” :cry:

Cremildo

#583 Post by Cremildo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:29 pm

I posted this on the Glauber Rocha thread earlier, but this is the more appropriate place. Black God, White Devil has been restored in 4K by Cinecolor Digital. No word yet on screenings or a disc release.

DeprongMori

#584 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:34 pm

L.A. wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:42 pm
Thanks to Eye Filmmuseum restored Indonesian classic Tjoet nja’ Dhien / A Woman of Courage (1988) available to watch free of charge.
Tjoet nja’ Dhien by director Eros Djarot is an epic anti-colonial film about the Aceh war, the long and bloody struggle against the colonial Dutch rule in the sultanate of Aceh in Indonesia.
Trying to watch it on Eye Player but ”Unfortunately this films is not available in your country or region.” :cry:
It works fine with a VPN to Netherlands.

yoloswegmaster

#585 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:16 pm

No idea if this was mentioned previously but 'Raging Bull' has received a 4K restoration and was shown at the Tribeca Film Festival this past Sunday.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#586 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm

A 4K restoration of Stanley Kwan's Rouge recently played at the Hong Kong and Shanghai International Film Festivals. Shanghai also screened Bu Wancang's 1931 Ruan Lingyu vehicle The Peach Girl, but I haven't been able to confirm whether this was a new restoration. I suspected it was because AFAICT the movie hasn't previously had a digital restoration (the last restoration was on 35mm and premiered at the 2000 SIFF), but the movie apparently played a relatively small venue and lacked any accompanying score, which doesn't seem like the sort of treatment SIFF would give to a brand-new restoration.

Also, the Taiwan Film and Audiovisual Institute's recent 2K restoration of Li Hsing's Execution in Autumn (1972) will be available for streaming (more or less) worldwide as part of next month's Udine Far East Film Festival.

Ribs

#587 Post by Ribs » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 pm

hearthesilence

#588 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:16 pm
No idea if this was mentioned previously but 'Raging Bull' has received a 4K restoration and was shown at the Tribeca Film Festival this past Sunday.
I wonder how much of an improvement that would be. I saw it projected in 35mm not long before the pandemic, and again on BD afterwards, and I was surprised how "gritty" the PQ looked. Most likely that's inherent in the film, and given that it's Scorsese I would think that he's kept the OCN well-preserved, but who knows, maybe the upgrade will surprise us.

diamonds

#589 Post by diamonds » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:05 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 pm
2021 Cannes Classics program
The intro specifies "two wonders from Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger," but I Know Where I'm Going! is the only film of theirs listed. Am I misunderstanding it? Or was there another film restored?

WmS

#590 Post by WmS » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Very glad to see Abuladze's Repentance got a restoration. I've seen it once, on VHS in the basement of a library a billion years ago, and parts of it seared in my brain for good.

L.A.

#591 Post by L.A. » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:09 pm

Až přijde kocour (Un jour, un chat / The Cassandra Cat) by Vojtech Jasný
(1963, 1h45, Czech Republic)
Presented by the Národní filmový archiv, Prague. 4K digital restoration based on the intermediate positive was done by L'Immagine Ritrovata laboratory in Bologna, 2021. The donors of this project were Mrs. Milada Kučerová and Mr. Eduard Kučera. Restored in partnership with the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. French distribution: Malavida Films.
Oh yeah! 😸

ellipsis7

#592 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:01 am

Interesting...
Il cammino della speranza (Le Chemin de l’espérance / The Path of Hope) de Pietro Germi
(1950, 1h45, Italy)
Presented by the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia – Cineteca Nazionale. Restored by Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia - Cineteca Nazionale from the original 35mm negative made available by
CristaldiFilm, completed by a dupe of the Cineteca Nazionale and optical sound of a positive by the Cineteca Nazionale.

Fred Holywell

#593 Post by Fred Holywell » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:37 pm

The in70mm YouTube channel has posted two versions of a Cinerama trailer for Samuel Bronston's Circus World -- one in Smilebox and the other letterboxed. They say it's been re-created from a recent digital restoration done at Pinewood Studios.

"Circus World" Super Technirama 70 in Smilebox

"Circus World" Super Technirama 70 trailer

EDIT:

The links I previously left are dead now and have been replaced with links for reuploads the channel just made. The uploader has relabeled the trailers as Technirama 70, rather than Cinerama. As I understand it, Circus World was shot in Technirama (as were four of Bronston's previous films), but was roadshow released in Cinerama. Technicolor made Cinerama compatible 70mm prints for the big theaters that could show them, while the film's general release was in 35mm (likely Cinemascope compatible) Technirama.

Stefan Andersson

#594 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:56 am

"A Man Called Adam" (1966) restored in 4K (Studio Canal blu forthcoming):
https://www.watershed.co.uk/news/cinema ... save-dates

News about 64 films to be restored due to grants from the National Film Preservation Foundation:
https://www.filmpreservation.org/blog/2 ... 021-grants

Films include "The Oath of the Sword (1914), a silent drama by the Japanese American Film Company, featuring an all-Japanese leading cast, is likely the earliest Asian American production.", plus documentaries and experimental cinema: "Yale University will preserve the first film made by a female undergraduate there: End of the Art World (1971), a documentary by Alexis Krasilovsky featuring Andy Warhol, Michael Snow, and Robert Rauschenberg. The Innerview (1972), a dreamlike psychedelic feature directed by and starring Richard Beymer, will be preserved by Northeast Historic Film."

La fille a la valise (Zurlini, restored), recently re-released in French cinemas:
https://lesfilmsducamelia.com/la-fille-a-la-valise/

Three Alain Tanner films, restored, cinema re-release in France June, 2021:
https://lesfilmsducamelia.com/alain-tan ... ospective/

Camerini´s Via Margutta, restored, re-release in French cinemas in September, 2021:
https://lesfilmsducamelia.com/via-margutta/

A Bigger Splash, plus five Roberto Gavaldon films, all restored, cinema re-release in France October, 2021:
https://lesfilmsducamelia.com/a-bigger-splash/
https://lesfilmsducamelia.com/roberto-g ... ospective/

Stefan Andersson

#595 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm

yoloswegmaster

#596 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:41 pm

The Film Heritage Foundation will be hosting India's first 8K digitization project, starting with the restorations of 26 films from Mani Ratnam.

Stefan Andersson

#597 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:09 pm

For the record -- info from October 2020, from the German Film Restored Film Heritage Festival:
https://www.arsenal-berlin.de/en/calend ... /3004.html
PDF brochure downloadable here:
https://www.deutsche-kinemathek.de/en/v ... restored05
Restorations include Lamprecht´s Katzensteg (1927), Radványi´s Somewhere in Europe, Kühle Wampe, Golden Eighties, Das Haus der Lüge (1927) and more.

The 2019 edition of the same festival:
https://www.deutsche-kinemathek.de/site ... _small.pdf
Includes restos of Ariane (Czinner), Kaspar Hauser (Herzog, 2K) and Die reise nach Sundevit (Heiner Carow, DDR 1966).

The 21018 edition:
https://www.deutsche-kinemathek.de/site ... chuere.pdf
Includes restos of Die Bleierne Zeit, Endstation Liebe (Tressler, 1958), Der Kleine Prinz (Konrad Wolf, DDR 1966), Shirins Hochzeit (Sanders-Brahms, 1976), Der Geiger von Florenz (Czinner).

The 2017 edition:
https://www.deutsche-kinemathek.de/site ... chuere.pdf
Includes Mir kumen on (Aleksander Ford, Poland 1936), Mama ich lebe (Konrad Wolf, DDR/GDR 1977), Das Unheil, director´s cut (Peter Fleischmann, 1972).

The 2016 edition:
https://www.fiafnet.org/images/tinyUplo ... 200908.pdf
Includes Rose Bernd (Staudte), Du haut en bas (Pabst), Spiel mit Stein (Svankmajer, 1965).

Stefan Andersson

#598 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:08 pm

Rupert Pupkin

#599 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Fred Holywell wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:07 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:57 pm
https://cinedweller.com/2020/10/12/la-f ... ersion-4k/

Valerio Zurlini with Claudia Cardinale and François Perrin is back in French theatres.
According to the web site, there has been a X4 restoration.
No blu-ray is announced in France.

This is my favorite Zurlini movie and Claudia Cardinale is :oops: :oops: :oops: It had a theatrical releases some years ago in France, then was released via mk2 (I think it was mk2) on DVD.
So far, no official blu-ray came out.
That said, I've "found" at amazon.it and bought blu-ray of this movie several years ago; this is not DVD-to HD upscaling but has really some HD details; it looks like a honest "true" HTDV transfer (as if they had access to a HD master of the old mk2 DVD and made a blu-ray with this old source).

Is there any sign of an official blu-ray release of La ragazza con la valigia ? Of course a Criterion release would be brilliant.
They release in Italy a blu-ray of "Seduced and Abandoned" for instance, but the restoration was ruined by some video filtering.
Thanks, Rupert. Yes, looks like mk2 did release La ragazza con la valigia on a French DVD (as La Fille à la valise). The Euro-American company NoShame released it in the U.S. in 2006 as part of their Valerio Zurlini set, along with the director's Violent Summer, but it's been OOP for years. Would be nice if Criterion picked both of those up.

BTW, the website you linked to gives "Francis (François) Perrin" as Cardinale's co-star, but it's actually Jacques Perrin, the French actor who's worked with a lot of top people both in front of the camera and behind it, as an Oscar-winning producer. He even managed to break up the Godard-Karina marriage (if only temporarily) back in the day.
another movie with Claudia Cardinale : "La Viaccia" (1961) aka "Le Mauvais Chemin" which I have "found" as a WEB 1080 HD release (not an HDTV broadcast) (under the English title (The Lovemakers).
Is this movie planned or announced for a blu-ray release ? There is nothing about it in France - it has been released on DVD.
Perhaps KINO ? but I see nothing in blu-ray.com news. (and contrary to the V.Zurlini movie, I did not see some documents about a restoration of this movie)
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

#600 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:52 pm

currently "La Viaccia" aka "Le Mauvais Chemin" had a theatrical release in France (my country). I don't know, though if this great movie has been restored
https://www.cinematheque.fr/film/42063.html