Sight & Sound

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Ovader

Re: Sight & Sound

#51 Post by Ovader » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:24 pm

My June 24th pre-order finally arrived today in Canada in the see-through bag.

therewillbeblus

#52 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:20 pm

Finally got mine today. Brown mailman-awareness-resistant bag.

Dr Amicus

#53 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Auteur Series No. 2 will be Martin Scorsese.

bearcuborg

#54 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:02 am

If anyone missed the Godard magazine, it looks like it’s back in print and at your local Barnes & Noble.

Dr Amicus

#55 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:16 am

The third in the Auteur Series will be Spike Lee - and as before it's available to pre-order at £6.95 (and then £9.95).

Aunt Peg

#56 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:30 am

I'm throwing out all of my Sight & Sound & Monthly Film Bulletins dating back to the 1970's to December 2020. I've been giving a lot of thought about what to keep and what to get rid out in the last couple of weeks and given nearly half of S&S seems to be devoted to streaming, which I view very little of, there is not point in continuing to purchase it as I generally only read one or two articles. As my partner and I are in the process of clearing out clutter lots of my old film magazines are going. I never refer back to them.

I'll keep my Films and Filming, Film Illustrated & Film Comment up until Nicolas Rapold took over as editor when the publication nose dived for me.

I will also hold onto my older (70's to 90's) Cinefantastiques but the later ones can go to landfill as well.

A number of old film posters and lobby cards can go out with an old lounge & dresser for the council to collect Monday week.

senseabove

#57 Post by senseabove » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Have you thought of asking your local libraries–academic or public–if they would take those magazines?

MongooseCmr

#58 Post by MongooseCmr » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Or even a local giveaway, Facebook Marketplace or such. Sounds like a lot of value to someone

Noiretirc

#59 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:01 pm

Please forgive me if this is the wrong thread, and for having such awful searching skills: (I couldn't even find the answer at the fucking BFI web page!)

When does the 2022 Greatest Films Of All Time poll come out then?

Thanks.

MichaelB

#60 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Towards the end of the year, I imagine - the 2012 one was unveiled in the autumn.

The polling itself hasn't started yet as far as I'm aware.

Noiretirc

#61 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:02 pm

Great - thanks.

JakeStewart

#62 Post by JakeStewart » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:16 am

Any predictions on what films will be big climbers from ten years ago?

I’d say Dead Man.

MichaelB

#63 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 am

No idea, although I'm seriously considering nominating its near-contemporary The Wrong Trousers (1993) in mine; having just watched it again for the umpteenth time over the last three decades, I really do think that it's pretty close to perfection, and I don't think these polls feature anywhere near enough comedies. Or indeed animated films.

knives

#64 Post by knives » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:57 am

That’s a real good one. I’d be happy to see it listed.

MichaelB

#65 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:46 am

I always make a point of including something less than feature length in these polls - last time, it was Marcel Łoziński's Anything Can Happen (1995), but I've already given that two goes (it was also one of my nominations for their later documentary poll - and I was delighted to see that two others picked it as well, including Second Run favourite Marc Isaacs), so I reckon it's had enough exposure for now.

(There are no minimum-length stipulations - unsurprisingly, Un Chien Andalou usually gets a smattering of votes, and that's only about sixteen minutes or so.)

hearthesilence

#66 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 am
No idea, although I'm seriously considering nominating its near-contemporary The Wrong Trousers (1993) in mine; having just watched it again for the umpteenth time over the last three decades, I really do think that it's pretty close to perfection, and I don't think these polls feature anywhere near enough comedies. Or indeed animated films.
IIRC, that may have been the film to break Aardman/Wallace and Gromit to a wide audience here in the U.S. Growing up in the Midwest, I remember family members getting excited about that short winning an Oscar - not because they saw it, but because they consulted magazines like Entertainment Weekly and had it on their contest ballot or whatever they were using to bet on the Oscars. I was watching with them and the win stuck out because Nick Park had some crazy large bow tie which he acknowledged with a shy, nervous laugh mid-speech.

Anyway that was enough to make an impression, and months (or maybe weeks?) later, PBS started airing this hour long special featuring The Wrong Trousers preceded by a making-of doc that was also a really good introduction to Park and his work. I think they re-ran it many times, because I recall watching it over and over again without anyone taping it. The characters just got bigger, then eventually the Chicken Run feature came out which I saw at a packed multiplex.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:06 pm

I first saw it on PBS in middle school with the W&G shorts the came before and after it. I taped the whole thing and talked my art teacher into letting us watch it in class too. Then as now I only really like the Wrong Trousers, but I can’t blame the creators for trying to go back to the well again and again

MongooseCmr

#68 Post by MongooseCmr » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:53 pm

I expect the new Letterboxd/Film Twitter canon to make big showings: Michael Mann, Twin Peaks FWWM/The Return, Neon Genesis Evangelion have all become undeniable modern classics on the internet since the last poll and it would be very disheartening if that wasn’t reflected in the next one

hearthesilence

#69 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:04 pm

I thought Michael Mann kind of peaked twenty years ago. IIRC they did a smaller "modern poll" covering 25 recent years that had Mann landing among the top ten directors, but I think that was when Heat and The Insider were his most recent films. I think his work since then has been very spotty, so much that he doesn't seem underrated anymore.

colinr0380

#70 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:04 pm

The Wrong Trousers was the big one in the UK as well, as I think that was the point when Wallace & Gromit went from a cute one off in A Grand Day Out to a staple of the Christmas schedules that would come to define the BBC for decades onwards (not just with the demand for new W&G adventures but the Shaun the Sheep spin off TV series and all the other half hour Christmas-scheduled animations that followed in its wake. The Wallace & Gromit shorts are arguably the equivalent perennial BBC Christmas broadcasts to complement the annual showing of The Snowman on Channel 4). Re-watching all the shorts again over the Christmas period it really stands up with its big set pieces that start from the riff on Thunderbirds just to get ready for breakfast (or to go out window cleaning in A Close Shave), through the mysterious noir plot that threatens to tear the ever faithful Gromit from Wallace's ever wandering eye eager for new experiences (in the later shorts replaced by Wallace getting besotted by his horny nature for femme fatales) and all climaxing in a big high speed train chase.

I should say that I like A Grand Day Out maybe slightly more than The Wrong Trousers especially as it stands out all the more now as being not quite so slick and polished and has the most off the wall story out of all of them (it would work really well in a double bill with Nothing Lasts Forever!) before The Wrong Trousers perfected the formula that the later shorts became a bit constrained by the limitations of. Though my particular fondness for that short may entirely be because A Grand Day Out always manages to make me hungry for cheese and crackers!

Though of course Aardman Animations was already a well known quantity in the UK even before Wallace & Gromit with the Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer music video (interesting to see the Brothers Quay namechecked in the credits) and especially the Creature Comforts short that actually seemed to overshadow A Grand Day Out at the time, even becoming a series of adverts! It is really easy to see the facial reactions of the other characters behind the ones doing the talking as being very similar to Gromit's non-verbal mannerisms!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Pavel

#71 Post by Pavel » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:13 pm

MongooseCmr wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:53 pm
I expect the new Letterboxd/Film Twitter canon to make big showings: Michael Mann, Twin Peaks FWWM/The Return, Neon Genesis Evangelion have all become undeniable modern classics on the internet since the last poll and it would be very disheartening if that wasn’t reflected in the next one
Is Twin Peaks: The Return eligible? I kind of doubt that, but if it is, I imagine it'll place

Glowingwabbit

#72 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:04 pm
I thought Michael Mann kind of peaked twenty years ago. IIRC they did a smaller "modern poll" covering 25 recent years that had Mann landing among the top ten directors, but I think that was when Heat and The Insider were his most recent films. I think his work since then has been very spotty, so much that he doesn't seem underrated anymore.
I don't think they'll land on the poll but Miami Vice, Collateral, and Blackhat definitely aren't spotty and their esteem has grown tremendously over the years in many circles and can be found on numerous decade lists.

Randall Maysin Again

#73 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 pm

My one and only concern is that To Sleep with Anger find a place on the f-ing list already, which it doesn't...seem to have yet. The film demands further canonization. I wonder if it has the slightest chance? I have literally no idea how such things operate. If i had tons of money, i would be tripping over myself to give a whole bunch of it to Burnett to get another fictional feature-length film or two from him. My one, not stipulation, suggestion would be that he consider being his own cinematographer--I'm head over heels in love with how My Brother's Wedding looked, finding his off-kilter visual imprint especially memorable in the sequence with the man (who reminded me of Charles S. Dutton) who wanders into the hero's mother's shop and just sort of stands good-naturedly at the counter, and with the visuals in the kids-playing-at-the-dump sequence of Killer of Sheep (some of the rest of that film felt like he was, visually and perhaps otherwise, affecting certain, perhaps slightly film school-ish, stylizations that came from elsewhere other than him and his truest soul, which, to my eye anyway, he happily had moved beyond by MBW.) The camerawork in To Sleep with Anger is handsome and to a significant degree, still pleasingly Charles Burnett-y, but the images were a bit too slick and smoothed over by Burnett standards and that this actually dampened the film's immediate impact a mite, for moi anyway.
Last edited by Randall Maysin Again on Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#74 Post by Finch » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:29 pm

Just a hunch but I reckon Kane will reclaim its top spot. I'm probably misremembering but the most recent films in the 2012 top ten were the first two Godfathers, no? If so, I think it'd be progress already for a film from the 1980s to sneak into the Top Ten.

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:41 pm

I’m expecting Claire Denis and Wong Kar-wai to gain and anything by Dreyer or Renoir to tumble. Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Welles, Scorsese, and Lynch all seem like Film Twitter’s unquestionable masters, so I don’t think much will change there, but I think Vertov, Vigo, Ophuls, and maybe Antonioni are all done for. Spielberg will probably have multiple films place, and Shoah will be near the bottom of the list (if not vanish from it altogether).