Heaven and Mel: Our One and Only Mel Gibson Discussion Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
therewillbeblus

Re: Heaven and Mel: Our One and Only Mel Gibson Discussion Thread

#51 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:51 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 pm
I remember enjoying this Slant piece discussing The Passion in conversation with The Last Temptation of Christ. I know you're no fan of the latter, but I still think this article might articulate some of the issues that make the Gibson less powerful. It did for me, at least!
Thanks! I'll give it a read before I watch the Scorsese again. I really should give it another go one of these days, since I remember being very put-off by all the NY accents without realizing that was an intentional anachronism (I mean, duh) so obviously wasn't in the 'clearest' state of mind to make a fair assessment!

John Cope

Re: Heaven and Mel: Our One and Only Mel Gibson Discussion Thread

#52 Post by John Cope » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:54 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:14 pm
I finally got around to Passion of the Christ a few years ago and hated it, but not because it was offensive or anything (having grown up in a Jewish culture, and obsessively searching for the antisemitic issues while watching, I was surprised to come up completely empty, though that's not to say they aren't there somewhere). I just found the film completely boring and not affecting in the least. I feel like it's hard to make a film like this anything but "powerful" on some level, but whatever it was doing just whooshed right by me.
If you ever look at it again, I highly recommend the "theological commentary" which is present on one of the discs. For me that was just invaluable especially in terms of drawing out and positioning those specifics of the film, such as, for instance, the structuring of it all around The Stations of the Cross. Also, there are of course many references to classic and religious art throughout which emphasize a connection or correspondence to, as well as a foundation in, fine art presentations.