Rush Limbaugh (1951-2021)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Rush Limbaugh (1951-2021)

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:36 pm

Rush Limbaugh!

What A Disgrace

Re: Passages

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Time to get moderated on every other message board I'm a part of.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Unrelatedly, does anyone know where I saved that GIF of Rachel McAdams from Game Night?

CSM126

#4 Post by CSM126 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:52 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Rush Limbaugh!

bottlesofsmoke

#5 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 pm

My mother used to listen to Rush Limbaugh on a daily basis during the Bush years, thankfully she's come completely around against that way of thinking, even though most of her friends are still arch-conservatives. Sadly I think she's probably in the minority in that respect, it's tragic to think how much damage that man did long before Trump was even a twinkle in a neo-nazi's eye.

beamish14

#6 Post by beamish14 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:06 pm

CSM126 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:52 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Rush Limbaugh!

Haha! Limbaugh called Jay a "liberal creampuff" before their hefts made them collapse through Duke's building.

Limbaugh did some kind of stand up comedy tour that was taped and sold as a video in the late 80's. I've always heard it was a real HolyFuckingShit experience.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#7 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:15 pm

I am not a big HuffPost fan, but their obit is appropriately blistering.

Their final lines:
HuffPost wrote:Limbaugh spent his final months on air downplaying the historic pandemic and spreading dangerous medical misinformation, including calling coronavirus “the common cold” and telling listeners “we have to remember that people die every day in America.”

On the day Limbaugh died, the coronavirus had killed more than 488,000 Americans.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:24 pm

His horrifying mockery of AIDS victims, not in a way that was somehow humor people were misconstruing but literally playing music and SFX to celebrate the death of named victims of the disease, will never leave me. Terrible human being who spent so much time reveling in the illness and death of others that I have absolutely no interest in meditating on his.

beamish14

#9 Post by beamish14 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:31 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:24 pm
His horrifying mockery of AIDS victims, not in a way that was somehow humor people were misconstruing but literally playing music and SFX to celebrate named deceased victims of the disease, will never leave me. Terrible human being who spent so much time reveling in the illness and death of others that I have absolutely no interest in meditating on his.

I'm still amazed that he could walk the streets after advocating for murdering federal agents. There truly is a double standard for right-wing perpetrated terrorism and terrorist threats.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Rush Limbaugh (1951-2021)

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 pm

At least we still have Birch Barlow

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 pm
At least we still have Birch Barlow
My question is about the budget, sir.

beamish14

#12 Post by beamish14 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:42 pm

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 pm
My mother used to listen to Rush Limbaugh on a daily basis during the Bush years, thankfully she's come completely around against that way of thinking, even though most of her friends are still arch-conservatives. Sadly I think she's probably in the minority in that respect, it's tragic to think how much damage that man did long before Trump was even a twinkle in a neo-nazi's eye.

Which Bush years, 41 or 43? He seemed to reach his apex during the former, as he had a television program and was taken seriously to a degree.
Terrestrial radio, at least beyond a few college music stations, is such an utter cesspool in America.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Not being American, I have only the vaguest idea who Rush Limbaugh was, but I gather I wasn't missing much.

beamish14

#14 Post by beamish14 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:43 pm
Not being American, I have only the vaguest idea who Rush Limbaugh was, but I gather I wasn't missing much.

He was a small turd in the big gulch of right wing septic waste. Not a Rupert Murdoch (who, rumor has it, has dementia and is on his way out soon) level threat, but certainly a major annoyance

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#15 Post by soundchaser » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:
I was a die-hard right-wing radio listener (among other things) in high school, and I couldn't stomach Limbaugh's shtick even then. He was so obviously a charlatan that it baffled me anyone liked him. And more than that, he had a voice that would set my teeth on edge. No idea how he made it in radio, of all places.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Not the first right wing blowhard to use radio and other media to build an empire of ignorance, but one of the most successful and he inspired much of the discourse we are stuck with now. He also coined “feminazis,” so you may have seen his work regardless!

bottlesofsmoke

#17 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:58 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:42 pm
Which Bush years, 41 or 43? He seemed to reach his apex during the former, as he had a television program and was taken seriously to a degree.
Terrestrial radio, at least beyond a few college music stations, is such an utter cesspool in America.
43. Whatever station she'd listen would play Paul Harvey then Limbaugh. I think it was 9/11 and the invasions of Afghanistan and especially Iraq that really drew her towards his type of politics. Those wars, and the idea that God-ordained America was right no matter what they did or why they did it, was (is?) still a popular belief among evangelical Christians, so I think she and many of her friends went to people like Limbaugh that were super pro-war in reaction to the more mainstream media, which they perceived as being against the war. Unlike my mom, most of those people not only didn't come around but dug even deeper, and now are the most ardent Trump supporters. The megachurch she used to attend shares QAnon conspiracy theories on their website now!

beamish14

#18 Post by beamish14 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm

bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:58 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:42 pm
43. Whatever station she'd listen would play Paul Harvey then Limbaugh. I think it was 9/11 and the invasions of Afghanistan and especially Iraq that really drew her towards his type of politics. Those wars, and the idea that God-ordained America was right no matter what they did or why they did it, was (is?) still a popular belief among evangelical Christians, so I think she and many of her friends went to people like Limbaugh that were super pro-war in reaction to the more mainstream media, which they perceived as being against the war. Unlike my mom, most of those people not only didn't come around but dug even deeper, and now are the most ardent Trump supporters. The megachurch she used to attend shares QAnon conspiracy theories on their website now!

It's amazing how people perceived some kind of major ideological differences regarding the Iraq/Afghanistan genocide in American media. The New York Times and NPR, which are constantly criticized for supposedly being unfairly tilted to the lift, egged on the horrendous tragedy of America's invasions as well.

bottlesofsmoke

#19 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:28 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm
It's amazing how people perceived some kind of major ideological differences regarding the Iraq/Afghanistan genocide in American media. The New York Times and NPR, which are constantly criticized for supposedly being unfairly tilted to the lift, egged on the horrendous tragedy of America's invasions as well.
Yep. Unfortunately, I think many people who aren't fully attuned to politics go to other, far more questionable, sources for their opinions, (like their church) and are influenced towards a more extreme, delusional way of thinking, rather than thinking for themselves. When an authority they respect tells them not to trust mainstream media, many buy it wholesale. I have no doubt that, if not for evangelicals, we'd never have had the last four years.

Maltic

#20 Post by Maltic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:04 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:31 pm

I'm still amazed that he could walk the streets after advocating for murdering federal agents. There truly is a double standard for right-wing perpetrated terrorism and terrorist threats.
Was he a rapper?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#21 Post by cdnchris » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Maltic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:04 pm
beamish14 wrote:

Was he a rapper?
Nice whataboutism since NO ONE here mentioned rappers. Since you can't address the actual criticism directly I'm just going to say you're cool with it then. Nice to know where you stand. "Well rappers do it, so Limbaugh can obviously do it and it's perfectly fine."

(Also, when have rappers not been criticized for their lyrics?)

colinr0380

#22 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:27 pm

I was also not too familiar with Limbaugh outside of his Family Guy episode (NSFL), but apparently according to imdb he has a cameo as himself in the mid 90s Billy Crystal rom-com Forget Paris(?!?)

Maltic

#23 Post by Maltic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm
Maltic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:04 pm
beamish14 wrote:

Was he a rapper?
Nice whataboutism since NO ONE here mentioned rappers. Since you can't address the actual criticism directly I'm just going to say you're cool with it then. Nice to know where you stand. "Well rappers do it, so Limbaugh can obviously do it and it's perfectly fine."

(Also, when have rappers not been criticized for their lyrics?)
No one mentioned rappers, but Beamish alluded to a supposed double standard. Rappers are criticised, but usually not imprisoned for their lyrics, nor should they be, imo.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#24 Post by cdnchris » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:29 pm

Now I just went and Googled "Limbaugh arrest" to see if I missed something and all I see is stuff around his unfortunate issues with prescriptions, nothing about anything he said, so I'm even more baffled by the point of your original comment. I agree, rappers shouldn't be imprisoned for what they say and Limbaugh shouldn't have been imprisoned for what he said (anyone can be disgusted by either), but since that never happened...

I'm pretty sure I know what point you think you're making, but it's not coming off that way, and it also doesn't appear to have a basis in facts and is more on your feelings. If you want to directly address something someone says then own it and do it. If you think you should defend Limbaugh for anything he said or did, or you want to point out why beamish is wrong in saying it's hypocritical for anyone to be pro law and order and "back the blue" but then be okay when someone calls for the murder of federal agents (which is how I read beamish's comment, and I'll be honest I may have missed Limbaugh saying that since I didn't follow him regularly enough, but it wouldn't shock me since I feel he was in it more for the shock factor and praying on the feelings and grievances of the moment), or because you think the comment is unfair and want to explain why, then do that. People here have plenty of disagreements and talk them through but I don't think anybody here have patience for "gotcha" comments.

Maltic

#25 Post by Maltic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:04 pm

Yeah, I don't think Limbaugh did go to prison, but Beamish seemed to think he should have. Beyond that, I don't see the general double standard Beamish alluded to (Limbaugh getting off easy). That's all. Pardon me for the sarcasm, though it didn't feel totally out of place in a thread dedicated to airing grievances about a recently deceased.