Festival Circuit 2022

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
yoshimori

Re: Festival Circuit 2022

#151 Post by yoshimori » Fri May 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:10 pm
The Jury Grid doesn't seem to be totally accurate though because Bradshaw actually gave the Gray two stars in the paper. Maybe the one star rating was his initial reaction shared with Screen Daily and he upgraded it to two stars for the Guardian.
Maybe. But it seems The Guardian ratings system is a bit different -- "five stars" are possible there, but a maximum of four for the grid. So maybe that accounts for the discrepancy.

If we care about his opinion -- and I don't think I particularly do, though the summaries of his other opinions on the grid are not often especially problematic for me -- here is some of it:

Headline: Hopkins and Hathaway can’t save this stagy tale of a quasi-Trump

First paragraph: This slightly laborious and self-consciously acted family coming-of-age drama features some perfunctory plot resolutions, and dinner-theatre performances from its all-star cast, including Anthony Hopkins, Jeremy Strong and Anne Hathaway.

Finch

#152 Post by Finch » Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm

Some of the British critics have never warmed to James Gray (and I find Bradshaw a fairly bland critic) but yes, objectively, we have to acknowledge that other international as well as American reviewers were disappointed by Armageddon Time (I think the title is terrible even while recognising that it's based on a song) as much as the other faction loves it. Personally, I like some of his films but never had any interest in this one, and I'm not sure that even across-the-board raves would have compelled me to go as autobiographical films generally just aren't my cup of tea.

beamish14

#153 Post by beamish14 » Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm

Stars at Noon never hooked me as a novel, either. Some people love Denis Johnson’s prose, but he was one of those writers who always seemed to relish putting his reader at an extreme distance and feel deeply alienated from what they’re reading about, and that resonates with a lot of critics and MFA students, but it just frustrated me.

Finch

#154 Post by Finch » Fri May 27, 2022 3:05 pm

MUBI have bought Holy Spider for the UK, Ireland and Latin America.

yoshimori

#155 Post by yoshimori » Fri May 27, 2022 3:11 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm
... I'm not sure that even across-the-board raves would have compelled me to go as autobiographical films generally just aren't my cup of tea.
Ha. Yes. I'd personally recommend you stay away then. This one has no "edge" at all, if that matters to you.

One last swipe at it from my end of things. The movie looks dreadful. The lighting is unusually flat. It was shot by Darius Khondji who is, in the view of several of my DP friends, one of the most overrated cinematographers still working. In all its components, the movie -- as the kid in Annie Hall, which Gray tries to imitate, to zero success, in the early moments of Armageddon Time, says -- "has been run through the deflavorizer."

Finch

#156 Post by Finch » Fri May 27, 2022 3:22 pm

I'm going to make a (probably wrong) prediction that they'll give Best Director to David Cronenberg. He's never won, and at his age, they might feel like he's due one (and his Jury Special Prize for Crash was in 1996).

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#157 Post by Never Cursed » Fri May 27, 2022 3:41 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:11 pm
...the movie looks dreadful. The lighting is unusually flat. It was shot by Darius Khondji who is, in the view of several of my DP friends, one of the most overrated cinematographers still working.
Not gonna lie, I think that's a little silly of them, particularly given his fantastic work on Uncut Gems - one of the best short-form articles about the production of a film in the past few years dealt with the focus pulling on that film

therewillbeblus

#158 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 27, 2022 4:17 pm

What a strange charge. His work with Woody Allen alone is an incredibly reputable resume (and Magic in the Moonlight may be the most gorgeously-shot movie of the millennium, talk about hyperbole!)

yoshimori

#159 Post by yoshimori » Fri May 27, 2022 4:22 pm

Hmm. The linked piece isn't about Khondji's work at all, but is rather a kind of extended paean to the automated focus-pulling gear the crew used. If that's the fantastic work you're talking about, that's the AC's and his equipment's, not the DP's.

diamonds

#160 Post by diamonds » Fri May 27, 2022 4:27 pm

yoshimori wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:11 pm
Darius Khondji who is, in the view of several of my DP friends, one of the most overrated cinematographers still working.
I too am curious about the reasons behind that remark, though I'm coming from the same direction. Although I think Khondji has shot some very pretty films, I have found his images lacking a certain ineffable something (which I would be completely unable to articulate) that keeps him out of my personal pantheon. The story goes that he approached the Safdies after seeing Good Time and asked them to give him a call if they wanted to "level up," which of course they did, but between the two I've found Sean Price Williams to consistently produce far more electrifying work.

yoshimori

#161 Post by yoshimori » Fri May 27, 2022 4:46 pm

Their general view is that they're overlit, both the large spaces and faces, that there's a tendency to wrap relatively soft light around faces, severely reducing contrast on them, that the quality of light often feels irrational (very soft light, for example, in exterior day scenes) but isn't stylish. The overall effect, as in the Gray and in the WA films, a bit less so in Uncut Gems, is that they feel flat.

There's no comparison, lighting-wise, between the geniuses WA worked with (Willis, Nykvist) and Khondji. [The Storaro work with Allen clearly isn't his best, but he's at least going for something.] If your eyes don't feel that distinction, so be it.

And if that "level up" story is literally true, it says something about Khondji's personality that's not so flattering, huh?

The Narrator Returns

#162 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri May 27, 2022 5:23 pm

I would certainly disagree that Khondji's eccentricities aren't "stylish". His work on Neil Jordan's In Dreams (otherwise a pretty bad movie) is some of the most audacious, beautiful cinematography I can remember, so brazen in mixing golden light and impenetrable darkness that it absolutely merits Gordon Willis comparisons.

And whatever you're insinuating about Khondji viewing himself as above the Safdies/Sean Price Williams is not actually borne out by how Khondji has since talked about working on Gems (including on the Criterion disc), where he's overjoyed that the Safdies bent him to their will and forced him to do things he'd never otherwise do.

John Cope

#163 Post by John Cope » Fri May 27, 2022 5:32 pm

MitchPerrywinkle wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm
John Cope wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:05 pm
I'm holding out for Lukas Dhont's Close.
I certainly hope he doesn't drop the ball in the climax with this new film like he did with his debut feature.
Sounds like he did. I'm pulling for the Serra now instead.

As for Khondji, he will always be a god to me simply for Zidane.

JabbaTheSlut

#164 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Fri May 27, 2022 5:36 pm

C’mon, Se7en alone. Easily one of the most influential pieces of cinematography of the past 30 years. He’s a master.

Pavel

#165 Post by Pavel » Fri May 27, 2022 5:44 pm

Doesn't really make sense to try and predict what Cannes juries will favor, but still, here are my quickly assembled predix:
Palme d'Or — Close
Grand Prix — Crimes of the Future
Best Director — Park Chan-wook, Decision to Leave
Jury Prize — Eo & Holy Spider
Best Screenplay — Saeed Roustaee, Leila's Brothers
Best Actor — Pierfrancesco Favino, Nostalgia
Best Actress — Michelle Williams, Showing Up
Last edited by Pavel on Sat May 28, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JabbaTheSlut

#166 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Fri May 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Alternative predictions
Palme d’Or: Leila’s Brothers
Grand Prix: Triangle of Sadness
Director: Claire Denis
Jury: Close
Actor: Benoit Magimel
Actress: Zar Amir Ebrahimi
Script: Tori et Lokita

Persona

#167 Post by Persona » Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm

Nm
Last edited by Persona on Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pavel

#168 Post by Pavel » Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 am

According to the New York Times' Kyle Buchanan, these films will likely receive awards tonight (based on their directors getting called to come back for the ceremony):
SpoilerShow
Close (Lukas Dhont)
Tori and Lokita (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne)
Decision to Leave (Park Chan-wook)
Broker (Hirokazu Koreeda)
Triangle of Sadness (Ruben Östlund)
EO (Jerzy Skolimowski)
The Eight Mountains (Felix van Groeningen)
Boy from Heaven (Tarik Saleh)
and maybe Stars at Noon (Claire Denis) and Armageddon Time (James Gray)
SpoilerShow
He's also apparently heard rumors that Close and Tori and Lokita are jury faves.

Persona

#169 Post by Persona » Sat May 28, 2022 8:56 am

I have been reading a lot of the reviews and listening to some podcasts, at least the English ones, and it's interesting how divided the critics are on nearly all of the films. Maybe this is usually the case but I can't say I remember it being THIS much of an aggregated shrug about nearly everything showing at the festival.

Aftersun seems like the film with the fewest detractors while at the same time it doesn't seem like anyone was just absolutely blown away by it.

Pavel

#170 Post by Pavel » Sat May 28, 2022 2:37 pm

Palme d'Or for Short goes to The Water Murmurs and Lori gets a special mention

Pavel

#171 Post by Pavel » Sat May 28, 2022 2:44 pm

Camera d'Or goes to War Pony (co-directed by Riley Keough) and Plan 75 gets a special mention

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#172 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 28, 2022 2:54 pm

I'm not reading any leaks, but it looks like Reichardt and Cronenberg won't win the Palme, unfortunately. Go Skolimowski, I suppose. (I'd be fine with Ruben Östlund again, too, actually.) I'm pulling for the Dardennes to win the 75th Anniversary Prix (if given) since they are taken for granted these days. I don't think Mungiu is on the red carpet? Rooting against Dhont, but of course this is only on the basis of abhorring his previous film.

Pavel

#173 Post by Pavel » Sat May 28, 2022 2:58 pm

Zar Amir Ebrahimi wins Best Actress for Holy Spider

Pavel

#174 Post by Pavel » Sat May 28, 2022 3:06 pm

Best Screenplay goes to Tarik Saleh for Boy from Heaven

Pavel

#175 Post by Pavel » Sat May 28, 2022 3:10 pm

The Best Actor winner is Song Kang Ho for Broker