Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Randall Maysin Again

Re: Passages

#10726 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:04 pm

It's funny how he got an Academy Award nomination for Barton Fink when John Goodman amazingly did not (surely this is Goodman's richest role ever?), though I do think they both deserved one. RIP

dwk

#10727 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:40 pm

Mr Sausage

#10728 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm

Legitimately funny as the comic relief in Magnificent Warriors.

therewillbeblus

#10729 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:55 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm
Legitimately funny as the comic relief in Magnificent Warriors.
Agreed, his early introduction in the gambling den might be the film’s highlight- a surprisingly layered farce, borrowing from Tashlin’s visual skills and Marx brothers’ verbal ‘logic’ in equal measure. Exhibit A on a shortlist of examples for how you create an effective comedy scene in HK action cinema

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#10730 Post by Buttery Jeb » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:18 pm

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#10731 Post by Caligula » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:56 am

Sandro Panseri, who many here will remember as the lead in Olmi's magical Il Posto, has died

otis

#10732 Post by otis » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:53 pm

GaryC

#10733 Post by GaryC » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:00 pm

Mary Quant, influential fashion designer, aged 93. Her cinematic credentials are that she provided clothes for a few films, including Claire Bloom's in The Haunting, Charlotte Rampling's in Georgy Girl and Audrey Hepburn's in Two for the Road. She was the subject of the 2021 documentary Quant, directed by Sadie Frost.

thirtyframesasecond

#10734 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:30 pm

otis wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:53 pm
Murray Melvin
Quite a career: A Taste of Honey. the Ken Russell films, Barry Lyndon, but also contributing to the rise and success of the Theatre Workshop under Joan Littlewood. He was also its archivist much later.

colinr0380

#10735 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:26 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:30 pm
otis wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:53 pm
Murray Melvin
Quite a career: A Taste of Honey. the Ken Russell films, Barry Lyndon, but also contributing to the rise and success of the Theatre Workshop under Joan Littlewood. He was also its archivist much later.
Plus among the supporting cast in a couple of films by Lewis Gilbert - the Alec Guinness and Dirk Bogarde starring Damn The Defiant! and in the original 1966 version of Alfie. And in two films by Stephen Weeks with the 1973 version of Gawain and the Green Knight and 1974's Ghost Story (a few years before I got to see A Taste of Honey or his performance as the wide-eyed priest falling into complicit corruption in The Devils, it was Murray Melvin wandering around in his crisp white suit in that film which first made an impact on me!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#10736 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:27 pm

Lemmy Caution

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ahmad-jamal-jazz-pianist-dead-obit-1234716018/

#10737 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:46 am

Ahmad Jamal turned the lounge piano trio into high art.
During the pandemic, I made a terrific AJ playlist, but just looking for it now, seems it's trapped on my computer that died last year. I'll need to do something about that. I was going to offer a few song recs, but I'm more or less back to square one myself.

hearthesilence

#10738 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:17 am

At the Pershing: But Not for Me is probably the best place to start - so accessible that it actually went platinum, and it has his signature track, "Poinciana." The chronological series of live releases he had going, Emerald City Nights: Live At The Penthouse, is really good - IIRC there's one more installment left.

Lemmy Caution

#10739 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:34 pm

I think I preferred Jamal's 70's period best, when he was doing more of his own compositions.
I think Ahmad's Waltz was a standout.

Pittsburgh was the birthplace for many influential jazz pianists, back when the steel city was a major black city, and an important stopover between Chicago and NY.
Check out this photo:
That's Earl Fatha Hines, Erroll Garner and Mary Lou Williams (with Billy Eckstein and Maxine Sullivan, with eyes open).
Also, Billy Strayhorn and Ahmad Jamal were from Pittsburgh.
That's quite a quintet of talent.

Ahmad Jamal as a child prodigy pre-WWII:

colinr0380

#10740 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:25 pm

Prolific crime novelist Anne Perry, aka Juliet Hulme, the real life participant in a notorious murder pact who was played by Kate Winslet in Heavenly Creatures.

beamish14

#10741 Post by beamish14 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:00 pm

Mark Stewart of post-punk outfit the Pop Group

MongooseCmr

#10742 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:49 pm

Y was an album that hit me so hard a few years ago. It really resurrected an interest in exploring new music after lifestyle changes put it on hold. I can’t remember what made me revisit it and have it click the way it did but I’m happy I did.

Feego

#10743 Post by Feego » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:57 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:25 pm
Prolific crime novelist Anne Perry, aka Juliet Hulme, the real life participant in a notorious murder pact who was played by Kate Winslet in Heavenly Creatures.
I've long been fascinated by this case of real-life murderer becoming an internationally successful writer (albeit before the world knew her real identity). Has anyone here ever read any of her books?

MichaelB

#10744 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:04 am

Australian cinema giant Barry Humphries, whose collaborations with Bruce Beresford were surely pivotal in Beresford going on to helm a multiple Oscar winner a couple of decades later.

I believe he did a bit of comedy as well.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#10745 Post by Caligula » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:18 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:04 am
Australian cinema giant Barry Humphries, whose collaborations with Bruce Beresford were surely pivotal in Beresford going on to helm a multiple Oscar winner a couple of decades later.

His recording (as Dame Edna) of Prokofiev's Peter & The Wolf is an absolute hoot. Many will also remember him as the voice of Bruce, the shark from Finding Nemo

colinr0380

#10746 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:37 pm

It would be great if we could get a set of the two early Edna Everage films (when she was just an "Aunt" rather than a "Dame") The Adventures of Barry McKenzie and Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (where she makes the transition to Damehood), which are incidentally also the first two feature films directed by Bruce Beresford! (Humphries is also in a couple of Beresford's other feature films Side By Side and in a very unorthodox role in The Getting of Wisdom)

And the other big film is Les Patterson Saves The World where he plays his other famous character as well as Dame Edna, which was directed by George Miller (not the Mad Max one, but the recently deceased director of Andre). Dame Edna does turn up for a brief cameo in a later film: at the end of Howling III: The Marsupials which re-does the televised transformation ending of the original film in a more comic (and Academy Award ruining!) manner!

And Humphries also appears in a couple of period films: Bernard Rose's Immortal Beloved and in the star studded 2002 adaptation of Nicholas Nickleby.

But of course its the Dame Edna chat show that he'll probably be most remembered for (perfectly suited to the 1980s as the only person able to play Margaret Thatcher at her own game), with the long running joke of Dame Edna constantly denigrating her long suffering maid and companion Madge Allsop!

colinr0380

#10747 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:46 pm

Also with the loss of Paul O'Grady and now Barry Humphries within a matter of weeks, I hope someone is looking out for Brendan O'Carroll to keep him safe, as he and Tyler Perry are the last famous female impersonators left!

knives

#10748 Post by knives » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:04 am

I was reading that Beresford actually thought those films nearly killed his career.

Curious Americans can stream the first film on Kanopy.

MichaelB

#10749 Post by MichaelB » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:44 am

If anyone genuinely thinks that Barry Humphries was an Australian cinema giant, any random sampling of a couple of minutes of one of the Barry Mackenzie films should disabuse them of that notion very quickly indeed.

But sarcasm seemed to be a wholly appropriate way of paying tribute to one of its all-time black-belt champions, and that wasn’t sarcastic.

GaryC

#10750 Post by GaryC » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:55 am

knives wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:58 pm
I was reading that Beresford actually thought those films nearly killed his career.
Beresford has said that, but I suspect that story's been exaggerated to some extent. The Barry McKenzie films did make money, after all. Beresford seems to think he'd been typecast as a maker of lowbrow comedies, and said that Side by Side was all he could get at the time. He thought that film was a complete disaster and I'd agree - but if you want to see Humphries perform a musical number in blackface, here's your chance. What Beresford really wanted to make through most of the 1970s was The Getting of Wisdom and only agreed to the Barry McKenzie sequel so that he could make it - and then Wisdom went into turnaround. Fortunately he was able to make it a few years later and was fortunate after Side by Side that the script for Don's Party landed in his letterbox.
colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:37 pm
It would be great if we could get a set of the two early Edna Everage films (when she was just an "Aunt" rather than a "Dame") The Adventures of Barry McKenzie and Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (where she makes the transition to Damehood)
Umbrella have a good Blu-ray of The Adventures of Barry McKenzie, which is incidentally the full-length version of 114 minutes - there's another version in circulation of some seven minutes shorter. I watched it the other week and there is some good observation of the English and Australians amongst the lowbrow chundering, percy-pointing and (yes) homophobia and racism.

Umbrella have also released Barry McKenzie Holds His Own, but only on DVD so far. I know people who will vouch for this film, but it's to me more of the same only more of it, and rather oddly in Scope too. (Beresford seems to have forgotten this, as I've more than once heard him claim Puberty Blues was his first Scope film.)