Assorted Discussions of Films That Never Happened

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
cafeman

#1 Post by cafeman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:48 am

Argento came to Belgrade last weekend and did a few Q&A sessions, during one of which he mentioned that Clooney and Soderbergh offered him a chance to direct a movie in HD, which will have a release similar to that of "Bubble" which is to say simultaneous theatrical and DVD. He then said that he is intigued by the chance to try out the new technology and that he will accept. It`s an unlikely pairing, but I`m piqued.

Also, he mentioned that he starts production on his next Masters of Horror picture today (Monday).

filmfan

#2 Post by filmfan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 am

At least with Clooney, there is a chance the media won't get in the way with the message, and there will be a good film there.

Dylan

#3 Post by Dylan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Cafeman and others,

Any updates on this?

HerrSchreck

#4 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:12 am

Wanna laugh? ComingSoon's link to the announced remake of the Dassin Classic starring Al Pacino (presumably in the role of Le Stephanois, inimtably played by the for-this-role-unbeatable Servais, though I can easily see Al hauling out his hangdog BRASCO-Ruggiero-style beat up old schtup routine):
Pacino & Becker Reunite for Rififi Remake
Source: Variety August 19, 2005

Stone Village Pictures has acquired remake rights to the 1955 French heist classic Rififi and will make a contemporized version starring Al Pacino and directed by Harold Becker.

The original film was directed by Jules Dassin and revolved around a career thief who, upon leaving prison, discovers his wife has left him. He returns to crime, plotting a daring jewelry store heist.

The film would be the third collaboration between Becker and Pacino, after Sea of Love and City Hall.
Last edited by HerrSchreck on Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#5 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:23 am

No shame....

Antoine Doinel

#6 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Considering that article is now nearly a year old, and this idea has been knocking around for a while, I would imagine the project is (thankfully) stuck in development hell.

That said, I initially thought the idea of remaking Bob Le Flambeur was sacrilege but I found Neil Jordan's adaptation to be pretty damn good.

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Considering that article is now nearly a year old, and this idea has been knocking around for a while, I would imagine the project is (thankfully) stuck in development hell.

That said, I initially thought the idea of remaking Bob Le Flambeur was sacrilege but I found Neil Jordan's adaptation to be pretty damn good.
Is that The Good Thief with Nick Nolte? I've not seen it before but it is getting its first UK showing Friday night (at 2 a.m.!) I thought I might stay up late and watch it!

Roger_Thornhill

#8 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:59 pm

If Dassin is still alive (I think he is) and in relatively good health, why not let him direct the remake of his own film? Hitchcock did it.

HerrSchreck

#9 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:04 am

He is still alive. The whole thing was brought up this afternoon watching a studio transmission here where Jeff Lyons was saying RIFIFI was his favorite foreign film, and that Dassin's-- who is 90-something and still throwing his chips down here on the NY table-- film is being remade as we speak w Al Pacino. So I don't believe, as Messr Doinel sez, that this film has drifted away into the project ether. It's inna works.

dx23

#10 Post by dx23 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:00 am

In another colorful moment in Hollywood:
Watts To Battle 'The Birds'?

Australian actress Naomi Watts has reportedly been offered the lead role in the remake of Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 horror classic The Birds. Armageddon director Michael Bay's company will produce the new version of the film. She would play the role of Melanie Daniels, which was played by Tippi Hedren, in the original, according to moviehole.net. The script is being re-worked by Leslie Dixon, who updated The Thomas Crown Affair for Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo in 1999. The movie features a wealthy San Francisco socialite who follows a potential boyfriend to a small Northern California town where birds suddenly begin to launch vicious attacks on people.
Just what we need, Michael Bay producing a remake of a classic. I don't think that we are far off that Casablanca remake with J-Lo and Marc Anthony.

Antoine Doinel

#11 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:40 am

Well, as soon as Naomi Watts (hopefully) turns this down, it will go back to development stage. I don't think Watts would waste her time with Bay produced, protege directed knockoff of a Hitchcock film. If this does get made, I imagine it will be with one of the bevy of faceless, nubile actresses lining up to sweat into their tank tops and run around screaming for the multitude of PG-13 "horror" films Hollywood is currently cranking out.

I hope.

miless

#12 Post by miless » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:41 am

dx23 wrote:Just what we need, Michael Bay producing a remake of a classic. I don't think that we are far off that Casablanca remake with J-Lo and Marc Anthony.
too bad J-Lo and Ben Afflec broke up... because he would have been PERFECT* in the Bogie role

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:49 am

Considering how the remake of Texas Chain Saw Massacre missed the point of all the violence being implied and not explicit, with the psychological terror and threat being the most important thing, I wouldn't hold out much hope for The Birds. (My guess is the flocks of CG birds will look even worse than the derided effects from the original :wink: )

Although the adaptation being done by the person behind the Thomas Crown Affair remake could make it interesting.

I've never seen The Birds II: Land's End, but it sounds terrible. I thought with that subtitle it would be set in Cornwall this time but it still seems to be US-based!

tryavna

#14 Post by tryavna » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:00 am

You know, if Hollywood producers are so hard-up for ideas and need to make endless remakes, why not focus on older movies that had a promising idea but were unsuccessful in execution? There's no shame in doing a remake if the original was weak to begin with. (Huston's Maltese Falcon proves that.) I was recently watching the WWII propaganda film Tomorrow the World and thought that it could serve as the inspiration for a more realistic look at the topic: a Nazi-fied German youth taken in by American relatives.

dx23

#15 Post by dx23 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:29 am

You are asking Hollywood too much. Most executives are hot shot mainstream producers who probably have no idea of what Tommorrow the World is.

Antoine Doinel

#16 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:04 pm

dx23 wrote:You are asking Hollywood too much. Most executives are hot shot mainstream producers who probably have no idea of what Tommorrow the World is.
Or who Hitchcock is, for that matter.

jon

#17 Post by jon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:05 pm

Michael Bay plans to remake Hitchcock's The Birds. But this time, with more car chases and explosions.

Antoine Doinel

#18 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:21 pm

"It'll be like Hitchcock's movie, but y'know, LOUDER."

"Sounds good, here's $60 million dollars."

jon

#19 Post by jon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:53 pm

- "Robot birds with lasers and rocket launchers?"

The Invunche

#20 Post by The Invunche » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Don't forget Miss Watts' puffy nipples.

miless

#21 Post by miless » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:59 pm

I don't remember them as being puffy.

Fletch F. Fletch

#22 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:12 pm

jon wrote:- "Robot birds with lasers and rocket launchers?"
And giant robot spiders! oh, sorry, that's Peter Guber...

Poncho Punch

#23 Post by Poncho Punch » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:
jon wrote:- "Robot birds with lasers and rocket launchers?"
And giant robot spiders! oh, sorry, that's Peter Guber...
Hey, don't forget Michael Crichton! Yes, I consider anything larger than Tom Selleck's 'stache to be giant.

DrewReiber

#24 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:36 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:And giant robot spiders! oh, sorry, that's Peter Guber...
Jon Peters. Guber is the smarter one. :wink:

Cinesimilitude

#25 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:08 pm

miless wrote:I don't remember them as being puffy.
Well, they are slightly puffy in Mulholland Dr. but erect to nearly an inch and apparently solid while having sex with sean penn in 21 grams... I wonder how many takes he licked them for before they got like that, She's obviously turned on...

sorry :oops: