Paul Thomas Anderson

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
miless

#51 Post by miless » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 pm

and Stanley Kubrick screened Eraserhead for the cast and crew of The Shining.

Frankly it doesn't matter with me what he chooses to show his cast/crew as long as what he produces is good (and Magnolia/Punch Drunk/Blood are good)

now if Uwe Boll screened a Tarkovsky or Antonioni film to his tortured actors before making Bloodrayne, then maybe we'd have something to talk about.

chaddoli

#52 Post by chaddoli » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 pm

nickxero wrote:Does anyone know what "inspirations" he had on the sets of "Hard Eight", "Boogie Nights" and "Punch Drunk Love"?
Bob le flambeur, GoodFellas, and Playtime, obviously.

She's Mine

Cde.

#53 Post by Cde. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:07 am

chaddoli wrote:Playtime
Not to mention Une Femme est Une Femme.

a.khan

#54 Post by a.khan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:54 am

I just finished watching "Hard Eight." Let's throw in some Jacques Becker too; specifically "Touchez pas au Grisbi."
Last edited by a.khan on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michael

#55 Post by Michael » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:55 am

nickxero wrote:Apparently while PTA & crew were working on "There Will Be Blood", he had the whole crew watch "Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" for look, mood, and many other things I'm sure.

Ditto for "Magnolia", where he made the crew watch "Network".

What parts of these films do you see transfer over into their PTA counterparts?

Does anyone know what "inspirations" he had on the sets of "Hard Eight", "Boogie Nights" and "Punch Drunk Love"?
I just read that David Lynch had his crew watch Sunset Blvd. while filming Eraserhead.

Anyway, I remember reading that Tati was on his mind while filming Punch-Drunk Love.

As for There Will Be Blood, there's very little in similarities between Blood and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. More than anything else, Kubrick seems to haunt Blood. And of course, Altman remains his love all the time. Has there been an American movie that illustrated all is wrong and sick with America since Nashville? Blood takes its torch.

Magic Hate Ball

#56 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:30 am

Michael wrote:I just read that David Lynch had his crew watch Sunset Blvd. while filming Eraserhead.
So, if Kubrick had showed his actors Sunset Blvd while filming The Shining, would it have had the same effect?

wattsup32

#57 Post by wattsup32 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:51 pm

why won't anderson do commentaries anymore?

Antoine Doinel

#58 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat May 31, 2008 1:50 pm

Because:
paul mentioned to me how a lot of the buzz has been taken from doing them because people quote them back verbatim to him in interviews and fun/flippant comments are regarded as gospel. (not a quote, but the gist of what was said)

flyonthewall2983

#59 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:57 pm

Did I read it right in the TWBB thread that he's talking about doing a horror movie next?

Antoine Doinel

#60 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat May 31, 2008 2:00 pm

It was later disregarded as unsubstantiated speculation. If you look at the most recent news, it says he's in negotiations to direct a video game adaptation of Metal Gear Solid. But I have a feeling the people at Konami are mixing up their Paul Andersons.

flyonthewall2983

#61 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:03 pm

From Paul W.S. Anderson's imdb bio:
Sick and tired of having to explain the significance of the raining frogs in Magnolia (1999), he added the initials W.S. to his name to avoid confusion with indie filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson. Unfortunately, the modified name is too similar to another celebrated auteur, Wes Anderson, and Paul is constantly fielding questions about what it's like to work with Bill Murray.

Person

#62 Post by Person » Sat May 31, 2008 9:22 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:From Paul W.S. Anderson's imdb bio:
Sick and tired of having to explain the significance of the raining frogs in Magnolia (1999), he added the initials W.S. to his name to avoid confusion with indie filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson. Unfortunately, the modified name is too similar to another celebrated auteur, Wes Anderson, and Paul is constantly fielding questions about what it's like to work with Bill Murray.
Then he should change his name to Saint Paul, the fuck.

rumz

#63 Post by rumz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:13 pm

This is almost as good as my favorite piece of imdb trivia, from "The Frighteners":
Michael J. Fox repeatedly blew his lines by calling John Astin's character "Doc" - the name of Christopher Lloyd's character in the Back to the Future (1985) movies.

broadwayrock

#64 Post by broadwayrock » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:26 pm

rumz wrote: This is almost as good as my favorite piece of imdb trivia, from "The Frighteners":
Michael J. Fox repeatedly blew his lines by calling John Astin's character "Doc" - the name of Christopher Lloyd's character in the Back to the Future (1985) movies.
The blooper clip is here

Murdoch

#65 Post by Murdoch » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:35 pm

broadwayrock wrote:
rumz wrote:This is almost as good as my favorite piece of imdb trivia, from "The Frighteners":
The blooper clip is here
I really enjoyed that, and so as not to go too far off-topic I will say my favorite PTA film is Punch-Drunk, and also one of my favorite movies, partly because of the shot of Emily Watson after the car crash.

Antoine Doinel

#66 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:15 pm

So last night in LA at Largo, PTA unveiled a new play. With a live musical score by Jon Brion, and Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen in the leads, the play was a series of vignettes about fifteen different couples. It sounds intriguing and it would be interesting to see if PTA tries to adapt this for the screen.

Andrew_VB

#67 Post by Andrew_VB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 am

oh man, i've always wanted to go to largo. that sounds like one of the most incredible things ever. i'd love to see it.

hot_locket

#68 Post by hot_locket » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:39 am

"New play" is just code for Metal Gear Solid, right?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:23 pm

In case you guys need a new Halloween costume this year

Antoine Doinel

#70 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 pm

I remember reading about that artist in a magazine article recently. Awful, awful stuff. It's hipster irony taken to it's horrible art-school end.

exte

#71 Post by exte » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:...taken to it's horrible art-school end.
It's a painting! Shouldn't anyone be flattered when their art is reflected in other art, good or bad?

Antoine Doinel

#72 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm

I wouldn't want my art referenced so shabbily, but different strokes for different folks.

Poncho Punch

#73 Post by Poncho Punch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Oh, get off the anti-"hipster" high horse already. It's awfully easy to categorize people as deserving of your scorn when there's no real working definition for the name you give them, isn't it?

Bird's got a sense of humor and technical proficiency in his trade, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for most art school students - when was the last time you actually saw art school art?.

Antoine Doinel

#74 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Ok, remove the word hipster (I could probably define myself as one anyway). The art is terrible period. It doesn't work for me, I don't find it all that clever or funny and just because you're technically proficient, doesn't mean you're a great artist (and that's a pretty weak defense for an artist).

And the last time I saw art school art was last year.

Michael

#75 Post by Michael » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Jeezus, I can't believe my name is attached to the first post of this thread. Magnolia among my favorite films! What was the matter with me?! I've grown so much since my first viewing of Magnolia and sadly it gets left long behind. I now find the film quite an annoying drag to get through.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.