'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4201 Post by knives » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:26 pm

Those should go into the great reviews thread. Taking a joke and mastering it.

bottled spider

#4202 Post by bottled spider » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 pm

I get the impression from his less rediculous but still sententious or woke reviews that user Igglysnuggles means these in earnest. Although that is an ironic looking sombrero in his profile pic...

knives

#4203 Post by knives » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:47 pm

A joke can be made in earnest.

PfR73

#4204 Post by PfR73 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:10 am

furbicide wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 pm
From the IMDb Parents Guide listing for Stalker:
Frightening & Intense Scenes
A black dog is seen throughout many of the scenes staring at the camera (viewers) which can be scary and intense. It can be thought that the dog is having evil intention when it approach some of the characters, though it doesn't do any harm.
I never thought of the dog as being intended as a particularly malevolent or disturbing presence, but your (cynophobic) mileage might vary!

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4205 Post by Brian C » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 am

[quote="bottled spider"
Successfully standing up to capitalism, resisting its gaslighting techniques, and opening your mind to its negative effects require some combination of 1) honestly reassessing history, 2) separating your current self from your own past and ego, 3) making moral, equitable decisions moving forward, and 4) directly fighting against oppression. This is what is required to literally break the glass ceiling.
SpoilerShow
Total Recall
Interesting, I guessed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

PfR73

#4206 Post by PfR73 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:52 am

Haha, I also guessed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Gregory

#4207 Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:42 am

Successfully standing up to capitalism requires some combination of: 1) disguising yourself in a lifelike fat suit and, if the head says crazy things and acts weird, pulling it off and throwing it at the cops, whereupon it will intone a catchphrase and explode, and 2) pulling the tracking device out of your nostril, hiding it in a piece of cheese, and feeding it to a rat.

willoneill

#4208 Post by willoneill » Tue May 04, 2021 3:29 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to include Ridiculous Distributor Reviews, but as some of you may know in Canada we have a local distributor called Unobstructed View who handles label sales for the likes of Criterion, Shout Factory, Kino, Arrow, et al. In their most recent customer newsletter, they included the following closing thoughts on the recent Oscars:
Oscars
Last, I do want to say a few words about last week’s pandemic-challenged ‘woke’ Oscars. There was an article in one of the trades following the non-event that the hostless show would have benefitted from an emcee. My feeling is that the Oscars would benefit next year by going ‘showless’. Yeah, it's time to pull the plug. Any future iterations of the Academy Awards will only serve to damage the legacy of the Oscar winners of yore that literally built the industry. I’m sorry, but Nomadland isn’t keeping anything alive. Neither are Frances McDormand’s self-righteous acceptance speeches. Worse, how is a middling talent like Regina King given license to warn middle America that she would have come for you had the verdict on the Derek Chauvin trial gone the other way? What does that have to do with showbiz? Nothing, which was pretty much the tone the whole night. It’s time to replace the the Academy Awards with a whole new awards system that focuses on achievement in social and political messaging on film and leave Oscar history intact. Sort of. It won’t happen, obviously, but it will be way worse next year when Best Picture qualifiers will have to tow a proscribed diversity and inclusivity line when it comes to casting and story. Tarantino is calling it quits at the right time, because under next year’s Orwellian rules, Once Upon A Time….In Hollywood would never get near a nomination. If you have some cogent concise thoughts on the issue share them on our Twitter feed, and we might include them in our June issue and send you a little something for your trouble.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4209 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 04, 2021 3:38 pm

After that, I think you mean they used to handle Criterion

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4210 Post by soundchaser » Tue May 04, 2021 3:42 pm

I, for one, think it's time to get back to the respectable, apolitical times in Oscars history when the Academy, without ulterior motivation, nominated films like Doctor Dolittle.

Big Ben

#4211 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 04, 2021 3:49 pm

Does this fabled before time also include when the Academy gave committed Communist Bernardo Bertolucci two Oscar? (No disrespect meant here.)

Pavel

#4212 Post by Pavel » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

I don't get the "X film with a predominantly white cast wouldn't get nominated under the new rules" argument, since those quotas make sure that you can get a nom if you a have a limited number of POC behind the scenes, and I'm pretty sure every Oscar-nominated film of the last 20 years has enough to fit the criteria. The rules are pointless because the only way to not follow them in this day and age is if you genuinely try hard

Cash Flagg

#4213 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm

What’s truly pathetic is that they apparently have to bribe people with free stuff as an incentive to post in support of their bigoted and unsolicited ramblings!

bottled spider

#4214 Post by bottled spider » Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 pm

If I knew how to Twitter, my cogent concise thoughts would be that the expression they are looking for is 'toe the line', and 'proscribed' means something entirely different from what they think it does.

Nw_jahrles

#4215 Post by Nw_jahrles » Wed May 05, 2021 12:43 pm

And the apology from Unobstructed View:

A Message From Jonathan Gross
Earlier this week we sent out a newsletter, and in an overheated reaction, I made some off-hand references that came across as a little too angry and crossed a line. I took advantage of the platform, and many of you took the time to respond with your own disappointment with what I wrote. While this will never happen again on this site, I do defend the right for everyone to have an opinion, including Regina King and Frances McDormand. With that in mind, I do sincerely apologize for what I wrote. Thank you to all of our customers for your continued support and thank you to everyone who reads the newsletter. I encourage you to reach out to me with your thoughts any time, you can always reach us at info@unobstructedview.com. Further, the views expressed here do not reflect any of the views of our suppliers, all of whom support all voices in filmmaking.

Jonathan Gross

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4216 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 am

This official synopsis from Mill Creek reads like an auto translate, though from what I have no idea
An NYPD Detective is shot by one of his own, benevolent brothers in uniform. Communities are ignited to march for justice. Gangs put their differences aside for a united fight, an equal opportunity. "That people not be judged by the color of their skin but for the content of their character." The movement and unity impacts City society and leads to a Blue Wall intervention within the Police force. White cops' lust for change and act on it by flushing out racism. Not an easy fight. In the end, what was considered impossible, became possible.

Pavel

#4217 Post by Pavel » Thu May 13, 2021 11:21 am

Which film is this for?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4218 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 am

Clearly a children’s fantasy of some sort

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4219 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 am

It appears that Mill Creek was just repeating the official synopsis for the film, given that it's also up on Letterboxd and IMDB
SpoilerShow
Equal Standard

Cash Flagg

#4220 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri May 21, 2021 9:53 am

Cool as Ice is loaded up with so much '80s ridiculousness that it does not need to tell a good story to be entertaining. If this very, very obvious point remains elusive to you, well, this film isn't for you. It is that simple.

He looks funny, he looks cool, and yes, he can definitely sing and dance.

The highlight of the film, at least as far as this writer is concerned, is the segment that features "Never Wanna Be Without You". The two leads have a perfect chemistry together, and the beautiful colors and terrific music create a tremendous atmosphere.
4 stars, of course.

Red Screamer

#4221 Post by Red Screamer » Fri May 21, 2021 10:54 am

Camille Paglia wrote:Mise-en-scène—the background details that provide social context—is a lost art.
Quite the definition.

Gregory

#4222 Post by Gregory » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm

The Safety Brothers' film Uncut James (aka Uncut Ratna aka Uncut Gescast), as reviewed by Honk News, "Trusted, and Target News":
Like his previous 2017 film, Good Time of 2017, The Safety Brothers ‘Uncut Gems is a serious’ 70s-style flamboyant character that raised its settings to eleven to raise your concern. Pyaar ‘them or hate’, the pair have the typical frantic story of their films and the way they can detect addiction in many forms, but especially the idea of a big score that will eventually give you. The life you’ve always wanted.

The Safdies only continue their style, even testing their film (and breakdowns) as to how the limits of actually forcing an unmatched hero can be. Powered by Adam Sandler’s note-perfect turn, Uncut James is a stylishly creepy work that is as inevitable as it is insane and tedious.

Sandler starred as Howard Ratner in Uncut Gems, the owner of an NYC jewelry store that created a chaotic mess in his life; He knows almost everyone that he is on the verge of leaving his wife Dinah (Idina Menzel) for his young employee Julia (Julia Fox), and the other has any extra money to wager for a professional basketball game puts away. However, when he lays his hands on a precious Ethiopian black opal and finds a buyer in NBA superstar Kevin Garnett (as himself, circa 2012), Howard believes he is finally icing on the cake. Of course, he is assuming that he can get his plan from anyone before deciding to do it for cash.

The characters are constantly talking to each other (nay, yelling), and this is a testament to the sound design of the film that you can tell everything that is being shouted at once (assuming that It doesn’t just overwhelm you). This is the world Howard lives in and as one can get to put it, the Safdies do an impressive job to bring it to cinematic life.

The pair were later exposed to the beautifully unpublished cinematography of Darius Kondji, which displays an obnoxious portrait of NYC and its residents with scenes of black opal and cosmic grandeur. And Good Time, aka Daniel Lopatin. Oneohtrix Point does not compose a vibrant electronica score that feels unmatched gems even in its rare quiet moments. This brings us to the film’s biggest problem: Howard. A film does not require a similar lead to success, but it is difficult to find Howard as a hero when he is once so dull, self-serving and silly.

Uncut James asks the audience not to be sympathetic to him, because he has pity, but even harder because as far as opponents go, Howard is not such an attractive sled-ball as he is right, just Is a slap. -Child. And while the film certainly does not glorify him, his plot begins to become repetitive, as Howard repeatedly shrinks over the ways of moving fast. Good Times’ Connie Naik was also dull and privileged, but her gentle intentions made her sad; Uncut Ratna portrays Howard as more tragic, but the darker humor of his story is stronger than the tragedy.

Sandler’s performance, however, is another matter. Howard’s role is, in many ways, tailor-made for the actor; He is more like a realistic version of Amir Golmaal Dudes, who have largely roasted their breakup over the past decade, similar to the punch-drunk love Barry Egan, compared to the earlier human-hair Sandler. His career was like a version.

Sandler makes the character more appealing despite his vicious nature, and it’s easy to believe that he reads to the people around him (eg, Howard Stanfield to Howard’s partner, Demoney), as he does. Fox is also charming as “Jules”, an existentialist who knows how to navigate the preferential world of rich old men who come upon young women, yet allow themselves to be truly vulnerable by Howard Is and gives the opposite. The rest of Uncut Gescast feel a bit clumsy, however, when they pop up for a scene or the two Yukers in Howard are fierce (which must be weird), learn about Meera from them.

In the case of Uncut Gems, this is a film that takes you on a proper roller coaster ride, but one where it becomes easier to spot over time, leaving you feeling that emotionally Has invested in its shady leadership. Those who appreciated the previous work of the Safidos would probably dig it too; Everyone looking for their next big score can be better than anywhere else.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4223 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:11 pm

Their review of Little Women linked below that one has me howling from the word go:
Based on the novel written by Louisa May Allcott in 1868, Little Woman is a story that dates back a century and more than a century, including adaptations over the years on stage, film, and TV. Huh.

bottled spider

#4224 Post by bottled spider » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Note to self: deaf people don’t make noise when you shoot them.
SpoilerShow
Chinese Roulette
SpoilerShow
It takes an heroic level of inattention not to notice Traunitz play the recorder in tune, dance in good time to music, and throughout the movie react to what people say, including people facing away from her. She's stone-mute. So no, she doesn't have a lot to say about being shot in the throat.

furbicide

#4225 Post by furbicide » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:43 pm

Two* theories on the Uncut Gems review above:

1) The writer dictated their review onto a cassette tape while a nearby aeroplane was taking off and subsequently ran it through a voice-to-text service.
2) This is one of those sites that takes text from other places and, er, "rewrites" it (with liberal assistance from our good friend AI).

*I'm putting my house on option 2.