'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4176 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:46 am

Typo, they meant “Disc is good”

Boosmahn

#4177 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 pm

One Blu-ray.com user's thoughts on Soul, posted on the announcement for the 4K Blu-ray:
Blu-ray.com user wrote:Get Out without self awareness.
Their comment is at a 20% rating. When I first saw it 30 minutes ago, it was at 0%!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4178 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 pm

I can't do any of the mental gymnastics required for that statement to make even a fraction of sense.

furbicide

#4179 Post by furbicide » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 am

Big Ben wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:34 pm
A Very Normal Adult wrote:I grew up watching this every Easter and now that I can't turn on a tv without seeing some form of degeneracy (((Thank You Obama))) I can watch this dvd without having to see the shame of my species.
Yikes.
Let me guess ... Pink Flamingos?

Big Ben

#4180 Post by Big Ben » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:44 am

furbicide wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 am
Big Ben wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:34 pm
A Very Normal Adult wrote:I grew up watching this every Easter and now that I can't turn on a tv without seeing some form of degeneracy (((Thank You Obama))) I can watch this dvd without having to see the shame of my species.
Yikes.
Let me guess ... Pink Flamingos?
Close. The Ten Commandments.

furbicide

#4181 Post by furbicide » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Ah yes, who could forget these words inscribed upon the tablets from the mount. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOWIMJkKpc

Red Screamer

#4182 Post by Red Screamer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:48 am

Pauline Kael wrote:Joyce wrote “Ulysses” in the form of a movie and that's probably why so many people, including Joyce himself, thought it should be made into one.

ex-cowboy

#4183 Post by ex-cowboy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:02 pm

Just found this on imdb:

"Sad film
But the story is nonsense and quite sterile

The saving grace is the hot call girl whose legs, hair and waist make her worth a million bucks. This is a foreign film but available on DVD which my friends owns"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4184 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:10 pm

“Foreign film with a prostitute“ is the least helpful differentiating factor ever!

bottled spider

#4185 Post by bottled spider » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Not an amusing example, but a perplexing one: I just bought Hilary Hahn's recordings of Schoenberg's & Sibelius' violin concertos, and the blurb on the back of the CD has the strangest pull-quote:
... The Daily Telegraph cheered, "This is as good as it gets!... Hahn didn't merely play the notes, she passionately engaged with them."
It might be an accomplishment for a student to merely play the notes without errors, but the bare minimum one expects of even a semi-professional is that they engage with the music, not just play it correctly. Talk about damning with faint praise. But that's what they selected for the CD cover. And isn't The Daily Telegraph a tabloid anyway? Or am I mixing up publications?

furbicide

#4186 Post by furbicide » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Depends which one you mean! The Australian Daily Telegraph is a Murdoch-run tabloid (about on par with The Daily Mail in terms of ethics and journalistic rigour) but the UK one is a broadsheet, and I suppose relatively respectable as far as right-wing newspapers go.

ex-cowboy

#4187 Post by ex-cowboy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:29 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:10 pm
“Foreign film with a prostitute“ is the least helpful differentiating factor ever!
Apologies, it was for Like Someone in Love

Swift

#4188 Post by Swift » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:29 pm

A letterboxd review to make you feel old -
I think maybe older people enjoyed this one more from living at a time when this standard of production was commonplace, but being someone who grew up with the mcu and the star wars sequels and star trek films I expect big blockbuster films to look good. and this does not look good.
SpoilerShow
X-Men (2000)

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#4189 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:37 pm

It's interesting to see how even someone as young as that reviewer (going by what they are saying, even younger than myself) perceives a difference between the standard mode of 90s-2000s blockbuster filmmaking and the scaled-up, hyperbolized version of that that is the Disney monolith

Dylan

#4190 Post by Dylan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:05 pm

Maybe this has been posted here before, but I found myself looking at the Yelp page for Columbia Pictures today and the only review of the studio on there (from late 2018) is a real doozy.

Some isolated quotes:

"the widescreen dvd format you crammed down the american consumer is from hell - where did you come up with such a stupid idea ???? !!!!!"

"talked to a large dvd distributor & he said they do not make full screen dvd "s anymore - why the hell not ! you ruined my day"

"i paid top dollar to watch ghost rider 3 times @ the movies ! the you have the nerve to sell this crappy widesreen version ! the head librarian who buys thousands of dvds a year said she will never buy a widesreen dvd again - they are worthless !!!!!! i smell a class action lawsuit"

Big Ben

#4191 Post by Big Ben » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:29 pm

The optimist in me wants to believe that's just clever satire. The pessimist tells me that yes there is absolutely someone this angry at the lack of a Fullscreen DVD of Ghost Rider.

MichaelB

#4192 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:29 am

I particularly like the way that he posted his name and address in the deluded expectation that he’d be sent a fullscreen replacement that most likely doesn’t exist.

knives

#4193 Post by knives » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 pm

This one just seems weird to me for the film it is about.
got ducking gnarly had to turn it off
SpoilerShow
Circle of Deceit staring Bruno Ganz

Red Screamer

#4194 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 am

The movie I remember had Robert Wagner playing a Wonderful Man Who Did Nothing Wrong who is pursued for no reason whatsoever by an hysterical harpy (played by Virginia Leith) who has fantasies about the Wonderful Man Who Did Nothing Wrong. Movie should have ended with the harpy in a straight jacket screaming as she's dragged off to the snake pit where she belongs.
I don't have to tell you that the movie is A Kiss Before Dying for you to know that he remembers wrong.

colinr0380

#4195 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:28 pm

I was going to say aside from the actress they could have constructed that comment about any Robert Wagner movie! But it would be been particularly funny if it were about his character in Condorde: Airport '79!

Gregory

#4196 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:50 pm

A new account on Instagram, Depths of Amazon, recently offered up a few amusing reviews, which I'm putting here in their entirety:

"penguins shouldn't talk" one star
SpoilerShow
Happy Feet
"No boobs" one star
SpoilerShow
Hotel Transylvania, which is rated PG
"There were no wolves in the movie." one star
SpoilerShow
The Wolf of Wall Street
"Too many monsters" one star
SpoilerShow
Monsters Inc.
"My little rat children rented this movie without my permission." one star
SpoilerShow
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
"Thought it was a baseball movie." one star
SpoilerShow
Pitch Perfect
"forin langage" one star
SpoilerShow
Pan's Labyrinth
"Why is he wearing jeans in the ocean??" one star
SpoilerShow
Aquaman (2018)

Mr Sausage

#4197 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:26 pm

The last one’s a good question.

mizo

#4198 Post by mizo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Gregory wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:50 pm
"My little rat children rented this movie without my permission." one star
This was the point in Willard when I could tell things would turn out badly

furbicide

#4199 Post by furbicide » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 pm

From the IMDb Parents Guide listing for Stalker:
Frightening & Intense Scenes
A black dog is seen throughout many of the scenes staring at the camera (viewers) which can be scary and intense. It can be thought that the dog is having evil intention when it approach some of the characters, though it doesn't do any harm.
I never thought of the dog as being intended as a particularly malevolent or disturbing presence, but your (cynophobic) mileage might vary!

bottled spider

#4200 Post by bottled spider » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:30 pm

One sentence analysis: When capitalists fail to satisfactorily control market forces, they masterfully divert the hostile attention of incompetent revolutionaries towards the innocent, hopeless everyday proletariat.
SpoilerShow
The Big Lebowski
One sentence analysis: An introduction to Lacanian psychoanalysis; we will never get what we desire, neither pre-mirror stage subject/object reunification (“I’d fuck me”) nor our objet petit a (saving all the lambs).
SpoilerShow
The Silence of the Lambs
One sentence analysis: The flawed Foucauldian society of discipline men have created (tit for tat nuclear war) is being replaced by a Deleuzian fully automated society of control (doomsday device), inevitably leading to a utopia of pleasure for the privileged and either death or servitude for everyone else.
SpoilerShow
Dr Strangelove
Successfully standing up to capitalism, resisting its gaslighting techniques, and opening your mind to its negative effects require some combination of 1) honestly reassessing history, 2) separating your current self from your own past and ego, 3) making moral, equitable decisions moving forward, and 4) directly fighting against oppression. This is what is required to literally break the glass ceiling.
SpoilerShow
Total Recall
Men are caught in a labyrinth of their own terrible actions - including, but not limited to, physical, psychological, and sexual abuse, manipulation, lying, racism, murder, sexism, and genocide - only by moving backwards and shining a light on the past and can we stop history from repeating itself.
SpoilerShow
The Shining