Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Identify This Movie

#1301 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:43 pm

I think the red text at the top left says "Trio." I can't make out any of the blue text next to it. Perhaps "Trio" is the name of the distributor, but a Google search (using both the English spelling and the kana version "トリオ"—I'm guessing the movie is Japanese but correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't turn up anything. The image on the box looks like something out of a stop-motion film, so maybe a Rankin/Bass special?

knives

#1302 Post by knives » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:41 pm

It’s definitely not Rankin Bass. The style is different from all their movies

Swift

#1303 Post by Swift » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 pm

What movie is the still itself from?

diamonds

#1304 Post by diamonds » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Swift wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 pm
What movie is the still itself from?
An Autumn's Tale (1987)

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1305 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 pm

I spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find that image, with no luck. I'm reading "X ' mas Presents", so knowing now it's a Hong Kong film I'm thinking it's probably a bootleg dvd.

Swift

#1306 Post by Swift » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:01 am

I also spent quite a bit of time this afternoon searching the internet to no avail (I enjoy this stuff though) The movie is set in the US too so could be American. It may not even be a movie, might just be a postcard or something of that sort. None of them actually look VHS sized.

knives

#1307 Post by knives » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:07 am

My google impression is that it’s supposed to be a compilation VHS or Beta.

ianthemovie

#1308 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:03 pm

In Let Them All Talk there's a scene where Gemma Chan is talking to Lucas Hedges about a screwball farce in which a woman has a one-night stand with a man who she doesn't realize is a lowly bartender. She says the bartender is played by a famous comedian. Any guesses as to what this could be?

Pavel

#1309 Post by Pavel » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:42 pm

I remember next to nothing, so probably no point in asking, but: a couple of hours ago a film I must've seen when I was very young (presumably more than once) popped into my mind. It involved swordfighting but I can't remember when it was set or whether the characters were viking, knights, etc. They had big beards, I think? Aside from random shots (and a very dark color palette), the only scene i concretely remember is when one man killed another with a shield (I think they weren't enemies, one just really annoyed the other – his superior in command – but I could be mistaken). Probably came out somewhere in the 2000s. Ring any bells?

JakeB

#1310 Post by JakeB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:10 am

Hey this is a long shot, but I'm looking for this film,
I saw it at a film festival around 2008-2015 maybe and really enjoyed it, and somehow I managed to find it again afterwards and forget about it.
It's European, possibly Scandinavian and is in black and white.
It's kind of absurd dark comedy about a guys life unravelling.
In one scene, a homeless guy interrupts a family whilst they are having a meal at home. They are sat near a big window and he slams against the window possibly?
another scene takes place in a club, on the stage a noise rock/psychedelic rock band are playing (I thought Red Krayola, but I think it's a newer band, 90s possibly) and I feel like a well known singer is fronting them? I searched Nick Cave, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits but I couldn't find the film searching for credits, they could possibly just be not credited though.

Sorry: I solved it myself! Doh!: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247696/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Lemmy Caution

#1311 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:26 am

I was thinking that sounded like The Temptation of St. Tony.
I really liked the opening 20 minutes of that film.
Could be a good short film on its own.
I don't recall the concert scene, but after the brilliant opening the film was kind of forgettable, imo.

westlemania

#1312 Post by westlemania » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Does anybody know what movie the image from the dvd cover of Eryk Rocha’s documentary Cinema Novo is from? I was watching the film last night and saw clips from it but it never said what film it was taken from. Any ideas?

brundlefly

#1313 Post by brundlefly » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:24 pm

westlemania wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm
Does anybody know what movie the image from the dvd cover of Eryk Rocha’s documentary Cinema Novo is from? I was watching the film last night and saw clips from it but it never said what film it was taken from. Any ideas?
Carlos Diegues' Os Herdeiros.

Murdoch

#1314 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:23 am

I'm not sure if it's a movie or TV show, but I remember a U.S. production about people's limbs suddenly taking on a life of their own and trying to kill the person whose body they inhabit. I also remember it ending with a young girl's nose twitching and her slowly raising a pair of scissors to it before the screen cuts to black. Anyone know what this is? I think it would have been released/aired in the late 90s or early 2000s.

therewillbeblus

#1315 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:12 am

Is it Idle Hands?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1316 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:32 pm

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:23 am
I'm not sure if it's a movie or TV show, but I remember a U.S. production about people's limbs suddenly taking on a life of their own and trying to kill the person whose body they inhabit. I also remember it ending with a young girl's nose twitching and her slowly raising a pair of scissors to it before the screen cuts to black. Anyone know what this is? I think it would have been released/aired in the late 90s or early 2000s.
It's the Clive Barker adaptation portion of Quicksilver Highway, a TV movie that adapted one Stephen King short story and one Clive Barker short story

Murdoch

#1317 Post by Murdoch » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:26 pm

Thank you! I'll have to track that down, it's been in the back of my mind for years.

Ovader

#1318 Post by Ovader » Sat May 22, 2021 5:37 pm

I could not think of another suitable thread for my question so hopefully it would be fine to post it here about identifying the name of the tune within the movie. Anyone would know the name of the band/solo artist and the title of this instrumental tune from this very brief clip? This is from Roman Coppola's film CQ and it is not on the CQ soundtrack album by MELLOW. It is certainly not one of the four non MELLOW tracks: "Ce Soir Je Vais Boire", "Le Responsable", "In the Cave" and "Tous En Scene." I checked IMDb for the track listing and the end credits of CQ which was of no assistance.

knives

#1319 Post by knives » Sat May 22, 2021 10:25 pm

Someone was telling me today about this amazing sounding Indian film. The English transilation of the Farsi title is the rule. It’s a crime film about a father and son on opposite sides of the law with the film ending with the cop father killing the gangster son. It’s at the latest from the ‘80s but probably from the ‘50s or ‘60s.

barbarella satyricon

#1320 Post by barbarella satyricon » Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 pm

Ovader wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:37 pm
Anyone would know the name of the band/solo artist and the title of this instrumental tune from this very brief clip?
A little fiddling with an online song recognition engine pointed me here, which certainly sounds like a match.

Ovader

#1321 Post by Ovader » Sun May 23, 2021 6:28 am

barbarella satyricon wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 pm
A little fiddling with an online song recognition engine pointed me here, which certainly sounds like a match.
Thanks! I did a little more searching and the instrumental also goes under the title of LONDON PARTY and SUPERMERCATO.

Aunt Peg

#1322 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu May 27, 2021 10:09 am

I've just finished watching the Criterion edition of Amy Heckerling's Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) which I have not seen since it's initial cinema release.

Funny, my only memory of the film was a scene where a counsellor berates Jennifer Jason Leigh's character for being so reckless and getting pregnant. But the scene isn't in the film. I must be confusing that scene from another teen focused film from the early 1980s. Doesn't anybody know what that film may be?

Feego

#1323 Post by Feego » Thu May 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Maybe The Last American Virgin?
SpoilerShow
Diane Franklin's character gets pregnant, and when she goes for an abortion, the nurse gives her a stern "this didn't have to happen" speech.

Aunt Peg

#1324 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri May 28, 2021 6:25 am

Thanks Feego.

bottled spider

#1325 Post by bottled spider » Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 pm

I saw only the tail end of this '70s or '80s British television play about a custodian feuding with a group of businessmen. I got the impression the custodian wasn't directly employed by the businessmen, i.e. their company rented rather than owned the building. The custodian had an office, or office-cum-living-quarters, in the basement. One detail I remember is that he had a terrarium. And he was an autodidact. I gathered that at some earlier point the businessmen had offended the caretaker with their class superiority, and he was retaliating with a campaign of passive-aggressive incompetence and pretended stupidity. His final exploit was to strand a pair of them in the elevator overnight, where they were trapped so long they ended up urinating or defecating in the corner. I think he succeeded in driving the company out of business. The denouement had one of the businessmen confronting the caretaker, and finally twigging to the fact that he was dealing with an intelligent and erudite man.

It's not Pinter, but it had some similarities to Pinter, in the quietly sinister manner of the caretaker.