Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
BrianLyons315

Re: Identify This Movie

#1326 Post by BrianLyons315 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:55 pm

When I was a kid I watched a movie about a movie about a woman in a white tank top. Now I don't remember the title but I do remember this one scene. In the scene, the woman and her boyfriend were talking, he left her by herself and she fell in the dirt on her back and the back of her tank top was covered in dirt. Her boyfriend came back, they talked a little then he left her by herself again and she fell in the dirt again, this time on her front and the front of her tank top was covered in dirt. Her Boyfriend came back again, they talked and after that I don't know.

sexplosion

#1327 Post by sexplosion » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:40 am

I probably took this off a dvd at some point now I don't remember what it came from, a movie or a music video. A computer animated beating heart floating in space then it's blown up by some kind of missile. It's either from a movie or a music video. I thought I remembered it being from Across the Universe but I just checked the whole movie and nada. I can't figure out how to post an image here. Thanks for any help with this

Swift

#1328 Post by Swift » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:05 pm

sexplosion wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:40 am
I probably took this off a dvd at some point now I don't remember what it came from, a movie or a music video. A computer animated beating heart floating in space then it's blown up by some kind of missile. It's either from a movie or a music video. I thought I remembered it being from Across the Universe but I just checked the whole movie and nada. I can't figure out how to post an image here. Thanks for any help with this
I just happened to watch it today. Pretty sure you're talking about A Life Less Ordinary. There's a scene exactly like that at the beginning of the movie when McGregor's character is dumped.

sexplosion

#1329 Post by sexplosion » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 am

Many thanks for answering. It's definitely A Life Less Ordinary. Amazing that someone here should happen to run across it just as I was asking about it. Thanks again

graememalcom

#1330 Post by graememalcom » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Probably a direct-to-DVD or TV movie, after 2000 but before 2015.

Teen movie where a girl moves with her mom(or parents) and younger brother to some rich's people house to work. She goes to the same school as all rich people in the area and pretends she's not poor to fit in with a group of girls.

One scene their at a sleepover and making fun of each other. The other she enters the bedroom of the "leader" and talks to another friend on a chat platform on a iMac. She then leaks whatever they talked about and the girls fight. She may have done similar things to break up the group.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1331 Post by cdnchris » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:23 pm

I'm trying to figure out a movie I used to watch at my grandparents a lot when I was a kid, but the problem is I only half remember it and I'm not sure if I'm mixing up what I remember with other films.

My grandpa collected westerns on VHS and I watched this one Spaghetti Western where I seem to remember a scene where it's a show down at night and someone uses a lit cigarette in a dark room to give off the idea they were standing where the cigarette was placed.

The only thing I clearly remember is that the VHS cover tooted the film as being like James Bond in a big font (which is what attracted me at that age). I was thinking maybe it was one of the Sabata films (none of which I've seen that I can recall) and Lee Van Cleef's look fits what I remember, though it's not an uncommon look for him or the genre anyways. Very vague, but hoping that at least the VHS cover might ring a bell.

Porzana

#1332 Post by Porzana » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:58 am

graememalcom wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:22 pm
Probably a direct-to-DVD or TV movie, after 2000 but before 2015.

Teen movie where a girl moves with her mom(or parents) and younger brother to some rich's people house to work. She goes to the same school as all rich people in the area and pretends she's not poor to fit in with a group of girls.

One scene their at a sleepover and making fun of each other. The other she enters the bedroom of the "leader" and talks to another friend on a chat platform on a iMac. She then leaks whatever they talked about and the girls fight. She may have done similar things to break up the group.
This one is almost certainly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clique_(film)

jmj713

#1333 Post by jmj713 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:07 pm

I saw this movie on TCM a long time ago and have not been able to remember the title. It's an American Depression-era screwball-ish comedy (?), so probably from the early 1930s. I don't remember much of the plot, except there was a lavish apartment that the main characters would go to, and one scene I do remember is with a stock ticker, and I think the main character was perhaps the son of an owner of a lumber company or some kind of commodity, and when asked what the stock will do, he says it will go up (or down) but it does the opposite, and hijinks ensue? Does that sound at all familiar?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1334 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Easy Living?

jmj713

#1335 Post by jmj713 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:15 pm
Easy Living?
I think so! The 1937 movie. Thank you!

Hypon

#1337 Post by Hypon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:30 pm

Hey everyone. I have a specific shot from a film stuck in my memory and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it.

The shot has the camera placed between an artist and his painting at a dock. The painter fills almost the whole frame. Two characters approach from the background, and as they walk past the camera pans to follow them. The camera makes a smooth 180-degree turn until the frame is filled with the painting the artist is creating. After that, I’m pretty sure there’s a humorous matching cut to what the artist is seeing behind the painting.

It has been driving me crazy that I can’t figure this out. If anybody remembers this shot or thinks it sounds familiar, your help would be really appreciated.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1338 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:56 pm

Can you remember anything about the painting itself?

Craig Wallace

#1339 Post by Craig Wallace » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:45 pm

Hypon wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:30 pm
Hey everyone. I have a specific shot from a film stuck in my memory and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it.

The shot has the camera placed between an artist and his painting at a dock. The painter fills almost the whole frame. Two characters approach from the background, and as they walk past the camera pans to follow them. The camera makes a smooth 180-degree turn until the frame is filled with the painting the artist is creating. After that, I’m pretty sure there’s a humorous matching cut to what the artist is seeing behind the painting.

It has been driving me crazy that I can’t figure this out. If anybody remembers this shot or thinks it sounds familiar, your help would be really appreciated.
This sounds like a shot from Bertolucci's The Conformist, from the beginning of the sequence when Marcello arrives in Ventimiglia, around 40 minutes in.

Hypon

#1340 Post by Hypon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:31 pm

Craig Wallace wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:45 pm
Hypon wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:30 pm

This sounds like a shot from Bertolucci's The Conformist, from the beginning of the sequence when Marcello arrives in Ventimiglia, around 40 minutes in.
That's it! Can't believe I didn't consider that. The shot in question is at the 42 minute mark. Thanks for your help!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1341 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 pm

Not quite a film, but I didn't know where else to put this. I remember some time ago a user of this forum compiling and posting a PDF guide to the major studios of Golden Age Hollywood, describing in detail (as in, many many pages) their histories, business practices, and so forth. I thought this was a very useful reference document and had it downloaded for my offline perusal, but I lost most of my data to a botched repair a few months ago and I just realized that document was among the casualties. I've searched across the forum to try and find it, but in vain. Does anyone know which user uploaded the guide or which thread the link to it is in?

diamonds

#1342 Post by diamonds » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:00 pm

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1343 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:02 pm

Yes diamonds, thank you so much!

Lemmy Caution

#1344 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Okay, another not-exactly-a-movie request. In the mid-80's there was a Scandinavian guy who was doing the college circuit, narrating an extended slideshow depicting the poverty which still existed in America, while noting the link to racism. He used songs such as Neil Young's Southern Man, but also Syl Johnson's powerful Is it Because I'm Black. The project was something of an update of Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, though more shocking that such penury was still ongoing in the Reagan Era, after/despite the extended post-war boom. I googled around trying to find his name or the name of his project, thus far without luck. I was hoping it might be on youtube and I could watch it again.

britcom68

#1345 Post by britcom68 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:39 am

So for this scavenger hunt, I want to preface this by saying I can no longer recall if this was a short-film, a feature-film or even maybe a made-for-TV feature. I know I saw it in college (so whatever this was it was released multiple decades ago) but I took way too many history and government courses dealing with countries outside the US so I am not even positive which country this film came from other than it was not from the US. The film itself was originally not shot in English of that I am sure, I remember the subtitles where white in color not yellow. I can recall that the film itself was shot in color but not bright Sirk-technicolor, it had a faded look more like a Gordon Willis shoot. I can remember one scene where there were multiple people walking around near some storefronts and they had a vague 1940/50s look to their clothes and a few fedoras and older-style caps were worn but I am almost positive that the film was made after the 50s as I remember the film itself had a Cinema Paradiso-look to it of trying to intentionally be a period film. The setting of the film I can recall looked a little like the “Yesterday” section of the DeSica film from ’64, so vaguely a period look, I just wish I could remember which period (hah ironic that someone with a History degree can’t remember which historical period a film was supposed to be set in). I remember that this film had a title which someone in my class saying was an issue, but for the life of me now I cannot remember now if the title was a lost-in-translation issue or if the title itself was a spoiler-alert (hell, maybe the title was offensive and that was the issue) but I can recall that some of the credit-rolls on screen were in an ugly, almost faded magenta-color. A major plot-point of this film was when a dead-man and a live duck (or maybe a goose) both end up in a small wooden boat that is adrift on a body of water (not sure if it was a river or harbor or lake) and there was a cache of stolen money (or maybe it was drugs) with them on the boat too. I can’t say if the boat was deliberately set adrift or if it was an accident, kinda bugging me I cannot remember that detail. The film had a “Trouble With Harry” tone about the people trying to get rid of the body in having to dig it up at least more than once and I recall that at one point a priest and/or a monk even assisted in trying to dispose of the body. I almost have a vague recollection that the film may have been inspired by a real events but that could be wishful thinking. I keep thinking it was either a Spanish-language or Italian-language film but that might be my memory playing tricks since I cannot recall any dialog now. I had not thought of this film in years until I saw Martin Eden the other day and for some reason it reminded me of this film. As always, any help is appreciated.

senseabove

#1346 Post by senseabove » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:54 pm

Overheard this question before a movie: anyone recall a Classic Hollywood actress who ended up being a housekeeper for a priest in her later years?

Feego

#1347 Post by Feego » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:27 pm

senseabove wrote:Overheard this question before a movie: anyone recall a Classic Hollywood actress who ended up being a housekeeper for a priest in her later years?
Betty Hutton. Apparently the priest helped rehabilitate her after she hit rock bottom and became suicidal. With her film career over and very little money, she took a job in the rectory. I remember she discussed this on an episode of Private Screenings on TCM.

senseabove

#1348 Post by senseabove » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:30 am

Thanks, Feego!

Ovader

#1349 Post by Ovader » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:35 pm

Various web searches are not helping with this one. I know there was an American indie film late 2000s or early 2010s about the revival of Northern Soul culture affecting a lonely teenage girl of a possible mixed race. It is definitely not Northern Soul nor Soulboy. The setting is small town USA in the 2000s and I remember in the trailer the girl was wearing retro clothes (late 60s or early 70s fashion) and wears thick mascara around her eyes. It is possible the trailer was a crowdfunding effort for completion funds so perhaps the film was abandoned as well.

ballmouse

#1350 Post by ballmouse » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:08 am

I'm searching for a 50s or 60s spy film. I vaguely recall in the beginning a plane is bombed and the target managed to pass off his last words in the ocean to surviving passenger. This passenger is able to relay the message to a war buddy of the deceased who in turn believes there has been a conspiracy to kill off his former war buddies. He has a European (French?) war friend that helps him in uncovering the mystery. I don't think I ever finished the movie, so this is what I remember.