Anime

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Anime

#376 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Ano natsu de matteiru / Waiting in the Summer (Tatsuyuki Nagai, 2012)

Some quite appealing characters -- but the plot is pretty much a ridiculous mess. A teen-aged human-appearing alien crash lands on earth -- and winds up going to a small-town high school. The male lead is a fellow student interested in making a summertime movie with an old film camera that had belonged to his late grandfather. Things seem to happen in this just because it is convenient for them to happen. Unlike Haruhi Suzumiya, which has a wild premise but then lets events flow from the interaction of that premise and the nature of its characters, the events here feel completely arbitrary. Too bad, I suspect the foundational premise of WitS could have yielded much more satisfactory results.

My Next Life as a Villainess / Otome Gēmu no Hametsu Furagu Shika Nai Akuyaku Reijō ni Tensei Shite Shimatta (lit. "I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags") (Keisuke Inoue, 2020)

I would rate this as excellent overall. I was skeptical of the genre (involving persons being reincarnated as a character in a computer game) -- but I'd find it hard to imagine a show of this sort being done better. In this case, a high school girl from a nice normal family who is overly fond of romance computer games finds herself reborn as the (child version) of the villainess in her favorite romance game after she dies in an accident. The character she becomes had been a spoiled brat of a noble family -- but with our heroine/villainess's awakening in this character, things change. Our heroine realizes that all her options in the game as written lead to her death or exile. She decides that her safest course is to make friends with all the characters whose "unfortunate" interactions with her could lead to her ultimate doom in the years leading up to starting point of the romance sim game starts. Accordingly, she spends 7-8 years meticulously being kind to others (and earning happiness while doing so), thus transforming her character into a genuinely good person. I can't really think of much I'd change -- except I think it's a bit unfair of the other characters (and many fans) to describe her as being"dumb". She may never turn out to be much of a scholar (or be very adept at magic) -- but her moral and emotional intelligence is top-notch (except in failing to realize that pretty much all of her supposed adversaries, male and female, have pretty much fallen in love with her). Utterly delightful. Highly recommended.

Keyrek

#377 Post by Keyrek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:03 pm
I thought some of the incidents in season 3 of Oregairu were a little marginal -- but even these did seem to help build towards the conclusion. I actually watched these all the way through for the first time this summer. I didn't feel there was any significant falling off overall in the third season. I do wonder if there will be more to this story in the future?
Maybe I just thought the characters were being a teensy bit too miserable for a bit too much of the runtime, though I think the ending made up for a lot of that. Just be lucky you weren't one of the ones that waited five years between S2 and S3. The author of the novels is actually putting out new material covering the Service Club's third & final year of high school that's being released piecemeal with each S3 blu-ray release that will probably be collected into another volume sometime afterwards. No confirmation as to whether that material will ever get animated, but considering the overall success of the series, I wouldn't bet against it.
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:03 pm
March Lion got a little too shogi-wonky for me at times, but even these sections were ultimately interesting. The character development in this (not just for Rei) was really excellent.
Was really pleased that this comprehensive plethora of character development occurs at around the same time when Rei has a growing awareness of the problems others around him face, not just himself. As an aside, I also enjoyed the mini-treatise in S2 about what a teacher should live up and the limits of living up to that standard, embodied by three different characters.
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:50 pm
My Next Life as a Villainess / Otome Gēmu no Hametsu Furagu Shika Nai Akuyaku Reijō ni Tensei Shite Shimatta (lit. "I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags") (Keisuke Inoue, 2020)
"Reincarnated as a villainess" is itself a subset of the isekai (transported to another world) genre, which has gained a ton of momentum with popularity of fantasy role-playing & visual novel video games and the rise of Japanese light novels & web novels and then get adapted to manga & anime. Isekai anime feature a protagonist (typically from our plane of reality) suddenly being transported to a different world, usually the world of a fantasy rpg that protagonist incidently dumped a bunch of hours into. Thus, primed with such foreknowledge of the game's world plus the knowledge of our world, the protagonist gains the power, respect, and attention of women that were typically denied to them in their previous existence. Villainess isekai operates on similar principles but instead of an overwhelming power fantasy, these series emphasize social bonds and winning over hearts & minds (they're usually based on dating sims) through empathy and basic human decency, still its own kind of fantasy but generally more benign. Next Life of a Villainess has been the face of this subgenre for a few years now and the first to get an anime, and considering its popularity, I would expect more adaptations to follow, though none have been announced.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#378 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:06 pm

I adored the three sisters in March Comes in Like a Lion. ;-)

Not certain I see much _need_ for more Oregairu. The end point of season 3 struck me as a good a place as any to stop.

Unless another isekai show meets the high standard of Next Life as a Villainess, I doubt I'd be interested very much. Other than avoiding annihilation, the heroine in this had no selfish goals (except for overindulging in sweets) -- and ultimately reaches a point where she reflexively reaches out to help others in need (with no regard for self-benefit and little regard for risk to herself). I found it interesting that one character (when evil due to possession by an evil spirit) derisively attacks her as "Saint Katarina"
SpoilerShow
and when freed from possession clearly regards her as, in effect, a saint

If I wanted to write an essay -- one could look at the conclusion of Villainess as a study of love, lust and devotion.
SpoilerShow
I found it amusing that the most frankly lustful character towards Katarina was the seemingly pure and innocent appearing designated heroine of the underlying game

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#379 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Latest update on anime watched (mini-reviews on request): ;-)

Colorful (Ryutaro Nakamura, 1999) (Tokyo?)

Nodame Cantabile (Ken'ichi Kasai, 2007) (mostly Tokyo? some Fukuoka)

Canaan (Masahiro Ando, 2009) (Shanghai, western China, Palestine/Jordan?)

Hozuki's Coolheadedness (Hōzuki no reitetsu) (mostly Japanese Hell realms, various excursions elsewhere)

honobono log (“heartwarming”) (Kumi Matsui, 2016) (10 very short vignettes about couples/parents and little children – mostly indoors)

Kaguya-sama: Love Is War, seasons 1 and 2 (Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Ren'ai Zunōsen, transl. "Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Hearts and Minds") (Shinichi Omata, 2019-20) (in and around Minato, Tokyo)

Mushi-shi (Hiroshi Nagahama, 2005-2006) (Heisei-era, probably – rural coastal and mountainous Japan)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#380 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Tamayura (Junichi Sato, 2010) (OVAs)
Tamayura – Hitotose / First Year (Junichi Sato, 2011)
Tamayura – More Aggressive (Junichi Sato, 2013)
Tamayura – Sotsugyō Shashin / Graduation Photo (Junichi Sato, 2015-2016) (4 long OVAs)

Tamayura is set mostly in Hiroshima prefecture on and near the Inland Sea (with some scenes in Yokosuka, Kanagawa). The main character is a girl who went on expeditions with her amateur photographer father (and was allowed to take pictures with his camera), who becomes depressed and becomes withdrawn after her father dies (unexpectedly) at a young age. After four years, she finally begins to recover -- and the next year her family moves to Takehara, Hiroshima (where her grandmother runs a cafe). This seaside town is a place she visited regularly when her father was alive but has not been since he died. There she re-encounters old friends and makes new ones, as she enters high school and re-embraces her love of photography. The show continues through the end of high school (and gives a peek of the friends post-college life)

I found this show incredibly realistic overall -- and also the sort of show that makes me (at least) sniffle (at least) once an episode. Not the fanciest level of animation (compared to something like Tamako Market/Love Story, which has a similar tone), but the characters and scenery are lovely. One of my happiest discoveries of the year. I assume this must have been relatively well-received in Japan, given the multiple seasons -- but I see little sign that it made much impression outside Asia. Seasons 0 and 1 are on Crunchyroll, but not 2 or 3. And I see no hint of US DVD (much less Blu-Ray) releases.

Is there some hidden fandom for this lovely (and loveable) show? Or is it as overshadowed and overlooked/forgotten as it seems?

Disclaimer: photography has been a bond between my father (now in his 90s) and me -- so maybe I am biased.

Boosmahn

#381 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:05 pm

I rewatched Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children for the first time in several years, and it still proves to be one of my favorite films. (Guess where my avatar comes from!)

Is it sentimental? Yes, but beautifully so. This is a passionate and tender movie that perfectly explores the challenges and joys of child-rearing, as well as how children find their own paths in life (and how a mother comes to accept this). I've been working through Hosoda's filmography leading up to my first-time watch of Mirai; next up is The Boy and the Beast, which I last saw in theaters almost five years ago.

colinr0380

#382 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:06 pm

A couple of classics of late 80s/early 90s anime have been released on Blu-ray in the last month in the UK: Manga Video brought out a Blu-ray edition double billing Wicked City (NSFW and warning of flashing lights) and Demon City Shinjuku together, and All The Anime have brought out an edition of the three episode OVA series Cyber City OEDO 808. I have treasured my recorded from television VHS copies of Cyber City for going on 25 years now so was more than happy to upgrade to that, especially when it was certain that the UK English language dub version of the series would be included, and just decided to pick up the other release on a whim to upgrade my old Manga VHS edition of Wicked City and Monster City (which was the title that Demon City Shinjuku had been changed to for its first UK release). Imagine my surprise when it turned out that they all were directed by the same person, Yoshiaki Kawajiri!

Kawajiri appears to have done most of his work for the Madhouse studio, unsurprising since he was one of the founders of it.This is really Kawajiri's highest profile period (including the Running Man episode of the 1987 Neo Tokyo anthology film) as after Cyber City OEDO 808 he went on to the similarly well known in the West Ninja Scroll in 1993 and Vampire Hunter D reboot in 2000 before handling the X series (which I have not seen but absolutely love the 'prequel to the characters who appear in X but otherwise unrelated' series Tokyo Babylon, which would make another great early 90s OVA series rescue!). After X he wrote two segments of the 2003 Animatrix anthology film (Program and World Record), directing Program, and then in 2007 did an anime sequel film to Highlander.

But in addition to that he did the animated segments of Katsuhito Ishii's Party 7, and wrote the story of both the anime The Wind of Amnesia and the live action Azumi 2 (which is a sequel to the Ryuhei Kitamura film) as well. Since the Highlander film however it appears that he has been working more behind the scenes as a storyboard artist on episodes of various productions such as One Punch Man, Overlord and even an episode of the third series of Attack on Titan.

It has been very exciting to get reacquainted with his work (especially to find out that Wicked City is now uncut in the UK on the latest Blu-ray after the previous 1990s VHS release was cut by a couple of minutes. It was one of the other notorious 'tentacle' films that came out around the same time as the much more extreme Urotsukidoji series. I actually remember that back in the day I preferred the less celebrated Monster City/Demon City Shinjuku more, mainly because I loved the idea of a left-to-the-demons infested city underneath another one built on top of it that our main characters have to venture into. A bit like the 'old New York' that has been left to fester whilst New New York City has been built on top of it in Futurama later on!) though if there are any more Blu-ray releases in the works at some point, aside from the obvious upgrade of Ninja Scroll, I would like to put in a nomination for his 80s work in Lensman and especially the anthology anime that tackled fighter aircraft in World War II long before The Wind Rises, The Cockpit, which Kawajiri directed one segment of.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#383 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:28 pm

Heads up for possibly best anime of the current season. Wonder Egg Priority (CloverWorks), directed by Shin Wakabayashi, a novice director, and written by Shinji Nojima, a novice anime writer but one of Japan's most-famed TV (live) drama directors over the course of about 30 years (who previous wrote shows that dealt with bullying, juvenile delinquency, physical and mental disabilities, child abuse, etc).

This show's central theme appears to be bullying (of various types). Ai, the protagonist, is a shut-in who has refused to go to middle school after her (seemingly only) friend committed suicide due to being bullied (and Ai felt guilty for not helping protect her). Prior to this Ai had forced herself to go to school despite being bullied herself. In what would seem to be a dream, she finds an egg and goes to her (seemingly) deserted school, where she is "instructed" to break the egg. After she does this, a girl her age appears. After talking a bit, a (face-obscured) bully leader appears and directs an attack on the newcomer by her accomplices (no-see-ums). At first Ai tries to stay out of the way, but then becomes angry and decides to take action. In the second episode, we are introduced to another girl who is on a similar quest.

If I use "seems" and "appears" a lot above, it is because one really has no idea what the reality is at any point. One assumes that "Ai as shut-in" is "real" and that her egg escapade (and subsequent things of this sort) is a dream. Yet injuries she receives in these activities, persist into her "normal" waking life. So, do we ever, in fact, see her in a normal state? As of the end of episode 2, one has no clue. What we do sense is that this show involves guilt, grief, depression, and a desire for atonement (that requires overcoming almost overwhelming fear). The show has echoes of Yuasa, Hosoda, Kon and the crew behind Serial Experiments Lain.

I guess one could say that it probably "surrealist". In any event, it had very little advance publicity beyond a gorgeous and utterly enigmatic preview -- and since it is an anime original -- no one (except hopefully its creators) has any idea just where it might be headed. Unless this show collapses, it promises a pretty stressful but exhilarating ride.

Boosmahn

#384 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Yesterday I finished the engrossing original series ID: INVADED. There were parts of the 13-episode series that got rather convoluted, and you'd normally expect such parts to be frustrating. Instead, they were incredibly fun. It was hugely enjoyable to try and figure out the mysteries the show presented. And while the ending is probably the weakest part of the series, the mind-bending ninth and tenth episodes are among the show's best.

I have to wonder if the main antagonist's name, John Walker, is a reference to the cat-killing Johnnie Walker in Haruki Murakami's novel Kafka on the Shore, who is in turn modeled after the titular whiskey brand mascot.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#385 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:08 am

Seen in January (excluding ongoing new series)

sketchbook ~full colors (Yoshimasa Hiraike, 2007) (rural Fukuoka Prefecture, in the vicinity of Fukuoka City) (script by Mari Okada)

Senryu Girl (Senryū Shōjo) (Masato Jinbo, 2019)

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. (Itai no wa Iya nano de Bōgyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu) (Shin Ōnuma & Mirai Minato, 2020)

Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (Shinichi Omata, 2016-17)

Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols (Yutaka Yamamoto, 2014) (set mostly in Sendai, series also later involves scenes in Tokyo and Fukuoka)
Wake Up, Girls! (Yutaka Yamamoto, 2014)
Wake Up, Girls! - The Shadow of Youth (Yutaka Yamamoto, 2015)
Wake Up, Girls! - Beyond the Bottom (Yutaka Yamamoto, 2015)
Wake Up, Girls! - New Chapter (Shin Itagaki, 2017-18)

Hanayamata (Atsuko Ishizuka, 2014) (set in and around Kamakura)

Golden Kamuy [seasons 1-3] (Hitoshi Nanba, 2018-2020) (set mostly in Hokkaido, also Sakhalin)

Hakubo (Twilight) (Yutaka Yamamoto, 2019) (Iwaki, Fukushima)

Her Blue Sky (Sora no aosa o shiru hito yo) ((Tatsuyuki Nagai, 2019) (in and around Chichibu, Saitama)

Natsuyuki Rendezvous (lit. “summer snow rendezvous”) (Ko Matsuo, 2012) (in and around Tokyo, with day trip to Kamakura)

J Wilson

#386 Post by J Wilson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Enjoying Wonder Egg Priority a lot, which I'm hoping keeps up the level it's at, and also watching Promised Neverland with my daughter, who is irate (like a lot of fans, apparently) because a huge chunk of the manga has been skipped over to possibly allow the show to end after the current season. I've been relatively underwhelmed by the second season (as the first was great and could have just ended there) but we'll see where it goes.

Murdoch

#387 Post by Murdoch » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:20 pm

Has anyone been keeping up with Attack on Titan?

I was not a fan of this show for the first three seasons. I thought the first season was overly melodramatic and despite the absurdity of its premise approached it with very little humor. Of course, this is par for the course for anime of this style, which leans heavy into archetypes and violence, but if felt particularly grating for me here. I thought the story only became worse as it struggled to explain its premise through a convoluted history filled with giant plot holes and deus ex machina. It became a practice of hate-watching at a certain point for me, fueled by a quarantine drought of media.

Yet I find I'm really enjoying this latest season, which somehow takes the messy pieces that came before and crafts them into something rather compelling.
SpoilerShow
The series began with a violent infiltration of the protagonists' city, and this season does a 180 on that, having the leads infiltrate enemy territory in almost a mirror image of the events from the series premiere. The Colossal Titan, now possessed by Armin, appears in a burst of destruction and death as the residents of Paradis slaughter civilians and destroy the enemy city.

While I still find the nationalistic dynamic of the series' central conflict, between Eldia and Marley, undercooked in its explanation of how Paradis island came to be, it is striking in how it turns this high-concept horror fantasy into an exploration of the perpetuity of violence and how nationalist identities serve as justification for that violence.
I believe there's only seven episodes left to be aired in season 4 based on a leaked episode count. I predict there will be a part 2 to this season given how much is being set up in this newest season but I actually find myself looking forward to how the story progresses lately.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#388 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:15 am

Watched in February -- listed just in case anyone wants to compare notes on any of these....

DecaDence (Tachikawa Yuzuru, 2020) (fantasy future Eurasia)

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shōshitsu / Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (Jun'ichi Wada, 2015) (re-watch)

Dagashi Kashi (Shigehito Takayanagi, 2016) (southwestern Chiba prefecture – around Kyonan and Takeoka)
Dagashi Kashi, season 2 (Satoshi Kuwabara, 2018) (ditto)

22/7: The Diary of Our Days (Ano Hi no Kanojo-tachi) (Shin Wakabayashi, 2018) (short ONAs, presumably set mostly around Tokyo)
22/7 (Takao Abo, 2020) (mostly set in Tokyo)

Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions (Chunibyo demo koi ga shitai) (Tatsuya Ishihara, 2012) (Tatsuya Ishihara, 2012) (in and around Otsu, Shiga, with trip to Kagoshima)
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions – LITE (Chunibyo demo koi ga shitai - LITE) (Tatsuya Ishihara, 2012)
Depth of Field: Love and Hate Theater (Depth of Field: Ai to Nikushimi Gekijō) (2012)
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions: Heart Throb (Chunibyo demo koi ga shitai: Ren) (Tatsuya Ishihara, 2014)
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions: Heart Throb - LITE (Chunibyo demo koi ga shitai: Ren - LITE) (Tatsuya Ishihara, 2014)
Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions: Kotatsu (Chunibyo demo koi ga shitai: Kotatsu (2014)

Amagi Brilliant Park (“amagi” literally “sugar castle) (Yasuhiro Takemoto, 2014) (in and around Inagi, Tokyo)

Kyousougiga (literally “capital craze comic) (Rie Matsumoto, 2013) (mostly a fantasy version of Kyoto)

Boosmahn

#389 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:52 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:15 am
Kyousougiga (literally “capital craze comic) (Rie Matsumoto, 2013) (mostly a fantasy version of Kyoto)
I never knew that's what the title meant, but it definitely fits!

Which version did you watch? I still need to see the 5-episode and original 1-episode ONA series.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#390 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:18 pm

>> Kyousougiga

I just watched the anime version available on VRV. I found it interesting, but can't quite claim to have really understood just what was going on.

BTW -- Still following lots on ongoing new series as well. Sadly, Wonder Egg Priority had to resort to a recap episode this week (which was fairly decent, as such things go). Otherside Picnic remains interesting. And Higurashi Gou has gone pretty bonkers. Lots more interesting stuff going on (but not watching long-running older shows like AoT, which is not really my sort of show, as far as I can tell).

Boosmahn

#391 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:54 pm

That version is apparently the least complicated of the three! Here's a timeline of the versions if you're interested:
  • 5-minute PV is uploaded, which advertises the 1-episode ONA
  • 1-episode special is released, later reworked into "Episode 0" of the TV series
  • 5-episode ONA is streamed, later reworked into the first five episodes of the TV series
  • "Episode 0" of the TV series is created; differences from the special include a new soundtrack, an opening theme, and the removal of a post-credits scene
  • 10-episode TV series airs, which expands the beginning and adds another half
VRV appears to list Episode 0 as "Preview."

I'm planning to catch up on Attack on Titan (I currently have only seen the first season). It's unfortunate WIT Studio had to back away from the series and let MAPPA take over, but it's understandable. I sure hope they're planning on doing a second season of The Ancient Magus' Bride, though...

Flash edit: allegedly, the president and CEO of WIT Studio has said they want to continue the series! It isn't an exact confirmation, but it's something. (If anyone here wants to start watching the series, make sure to look into the Those Awaiting a Star OVAs. Opinions differ on whether to watch these before the main series or not. I can give my two cents for the curious.)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#392 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 am

re Kyousougiga -- I watched what they had on VRV (which was sufficient for me).

Boosmahn

#393 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:31 am

I know! I just think the production process is as interestingly chaotic as the show itself. :)

colinr0380

#394 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:52 pm

In the day of the launch of a Soyuz rocket in attempt to find out a way to collect space debris, it would seem apt to mention that All The Anime in the UK is going to be releasing a Blu-ray edition of the 2004 series about the trials and tribulations of a group of space cleaners in Planetes next month.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#395 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:51 pm

This (very rich) anime season is drawing to an end. So far, I have run across very little that seems especially promising in the new season that starts in April. I'll keep looking, but not feeling especially hopeful.

beamish14

#396 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:16 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:52 pm
In the day of the launch of a Soyuz rocket in attempt to find out a way to collect space debris, it would seem apt to mention that All The Anime in the UK is going to be releasing a Blu-ray edition of the 2004 series about the trials and tribulations of a group of space cleaners in Planetes next month.

I was so excited when I heard about this last year that I pre-ordered it the same day. It's one of the most well-written shows I've ever encountered, and R1 box sets of the series can fetch close to $1000USD.

All the Anime is doing amazing work. I've got a beautiful Genius Party bundle from them. I really hope they can tackle Neo-Tokyo at some point.

DandyDancing

#397 Post by DandyDancing » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:26 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:51 pm
This (very rich) anime season is drawing to an end. So far, I have run across very little that seems especially promising in the new season that starts in April. I'll keep looking, but not feeling especially hopeful.
Just took a peak at the My Anime List listings for spring. Megalo Box 2?! Zombieland saga 2?! Some weird Trigger giant robot thing again? Seems tailor made for me.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#398 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:15 pm

DandyDancing -- Alas, those are precisely the sorts of shows I avoid at all cost. ;-)

Boosmahn

#399 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:44 pm

An upcoming show for the spring season that I'm interested in is Odd Taxi. People have drawn comparisons to BEASTARS (both have casts of anthropomorphic animals), but I think it has more in common with Durarara!! for the portrayal of seedy, bustling city life.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#400 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 pm

Not a fan of anthropomorphic animals, either, alas.