Jean-Pierre Leaud

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Camera Obscura

Re: Jean-Pierre Leaud

#2 Post by Camera Obscura » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:50 pm

I think I've got 25 films on the shelf that feature Jean-Pierre Léaud, but I don't think I've ever purchased a film because he was in it, so I guess I'm not a devotee, but he has worked with so many great directors and he's got quite a fresh approach in his choice of roles. Seems to me, he's always on the barricades when it comes to defend 'Cinema', and always willing to take a few chances, accept minor roles in small films, and work with young filmmakers.

I'm afraid I'm of little help with Le Départ, Boulevard, and that Criterion Box, though. Sorry..

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:47 pm

I Hired A Contract Killer and La Vie de Bohème are included in Sandrew Metronome's second Aki Kaurismäki box, with English subtitles where necessary (Contract Killer is in English to begin with).

Camera Obscura

#5 Post by Camera Obscura » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm

chriscrunch wrote:
Camera Obscura wrote:Seems to me, he's always on the barricades when it comes to defend 'Cinema'
Yes he is, quite literally - I was watching a documentary on Henri Langlois yesterday and they had footage of him giving a rabble rousing speech during the riots that occurred in 1968 when Langlois was ousted as the head of the Cinematheque Francaise. And you're right, his choice of directors to work with is pretty impeccable.
That documentary footage was also used by Bertolucci in The Dreamers (2003). He's a tiny Frenchman, but he seems pretty fierce - he's got those piercing eyes. I don't wanna have an argument with him. I think he fights mean.

truefaux

#6 Post by truefaux » Sat May 23, 2009 6:00 am

chriscrunch wrote:Just out of curiosity, are there any other devotees of Leaud on here? I ask because...good lord are some of his films hard to find. I'm talking specifically about Le Depart, Boulevard (with English subtitles)...and while I'm at it, the Criterion version of the Antoine Doinel box set doesn't have the Leaud L'Unique documentary like the (old) French one did, and I would kill to get my hands on that. Are these available on some arcane website I don't know about yet?
i have the three titles you've mentioned. they're available as torrents. it's been a while since i got a hold of them so i don't have any links for you. but, yes, they are available out there. however, they're probably without subtitles. good luck.

Calvin

#7 Post by Calvin » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 am

I see that Leaud has a single director credit on IMDB, for the short De quoi s'agit-il? that he seemingly co-directed in 1974 with Michel Varesano. I'm struggling to find any information about it. Does anyone know if it still exists? Has anybody seen it?

fiendishthingy

#8 Post by fiendishthingy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:17 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 am
I see that Leaud has a single director credit on IMDB, for the short De quoi s'agit-il? that he seemingly co-directed in 1974 with Michel Varesano. I'm struggling to find any information about it. Does anyone know if it still exists? Has anybody seen it?
I'm not sure what that's about, though I've always wondered. He was asked about it in an interview from 2013 (in German, probably conducted through a translator), and he replied that he had never shot anything himself. (It's the second to last question.) There is a 1970 New York Times article where he talks about planning to direct a film in collaboration with a friend, so maybe there's some connection there with the IMDb credit, but that's about all I know.