Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
fdm

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#626 Post by fdm » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:11 am

There you go. Thanks!

Calvin

#627 Post by Calvin » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:43 pm

In a reply to a Facebook comment about Juan Luis Bunuel, Radiance said that "sadly one cannot be found and the other is with a difficult rightsholder, though we nearly had it acquired."

Since Leonor is already out through Scorpion, he's presumably referring to At the Meeting with Joyous Death and The Woman with Red Boots. I'm guessing that Joyous Death is the one that can't be found, which is a shame. I'd love for that one to get a nice release.

Stefan Andersson

#628 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:48 pm

I just remembered two Istvan Szabo films that might interest Radiance Films --
25 Fireman´s Street
The Yellow Tramcar

DeprongMori

#629 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:05 pm

I’ve been looking through the list of “Golden Lion” award winners at the Venice Film Festival over the years, and while most of the winners are well represented on home video, there is one filmmaker with multiple award-winning films who is entirely unrepresented. This filmmaker, who has now intrigued me, is André Cayatte.

His Golden Lion winners were Justice is Done (1950), and Tomorrow Is My Turn (1960). Anyone have thoughts on his films? Have they stood the test of time?

There seem to be some other Golden Lion titles by other directors ripe for rediscovery through a Radiance Films release.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#630 Post by dekadetia » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:21 pm

A good find! Definitely putting these two on my watchlist. Both the titles you mentioned appear to have bluray releases from Gaumont.

Randall Maysin Again

#631 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:24 am

Cayatte's other most highly-regarded films are We Are All Murderers (1952), Avant le deluge (1954), and maybe An Eye for an Eye (1957).

Randall Maysin Again

#632 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:29 am

Cayatte's films are generally thought to be talky, ideologically didactic and programmatic, and not particularily cinematic, but still intelligent, fun, well-acted, and compelling. They seem totally forgotten, and it doesn't sound like there's much of an audience for them, but who knows?

Randall Maysin Again

#633 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:32 am

Randall Maysin Again wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:29 am
Cayatte's films are generally thought to be talky, ideologically didactic and programmatic, and not particularily cinematic, but still intelligent, fun, well-acted, and compelling. They seem totally forgotten, and it doesn't sound like there's much of an audience for them, but who knows?
EDIT: although An Eye for an Eye is said to have absolutely brilliant desert cinematography by Christian Matras, so that probably counts as cinematic.

rapta

#634 Post by rapta » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am

Bit of a long shot theory, but I wonder if "WN box" could be a collection of adaptations of Dostoevsky's short story White Nights, and include titles like Le notti bianche (Visconti), Belye nochi (Pyrev) or Four Nights of a Dreamer (Bresson)? Grasping at straws, I know, but that could be interesting if done properly.

Perhaps I'm just hoping for some more Bresson on UK Blu-ray. At least a couple are possible through Radiance's deal with Gaumont (namely Lancelot du lac and The Devil, Probably) but others are with studios like Paramount (Une femme douce) and StudioCanal (Diary of a Country Priest). I'd love to see those Gaumont ones at least - both have had French discs, but of course a fully English-friendly release with extras wouldn't go amiss!

Four Nights of a Dreamer got a Japanese Blu-ray release some years ago, but that might have been a fluke. The master they used does look fairly healthy albeit with some damage, but could be fixed with a little cleanup (you can watch two clips from it here).

diamonds

#635 Post by diamonds » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:27 am

rapta wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am
Bit of a long shot theory, but I wonder if "WN box" could be a collection of adaptations of Dostoevsky's short story White Nights, and include titles like Le notti bianche (Visconti), Belye nochi (Pyrev) or Four Nights of a Dreamer (Bresson)? Grasping at straws, I know, but that could be interesting if done properly.
+ Vecchiali's Nuits blanches sur la jetée!

Calvin

#636 Post by Calvin » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:30 am

Bresson's widow won't licence out Four Nights of a Dreamer. The only reason I've ever heard given was via one of the old MoC team, who said that she was holding out to get all of his films under one label but that's no closer to being realised now than it was 10 years ago.

furbicide

#637 Post by furbicide » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:38 am

Where does the recent English-subtitled Italian DVD release fit in with that? Or is it more the restorations that are being blocked?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film11/blu-ray ... lu-ray.htm

Aunt Peg

#638 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 am

A film I only recently discovered myself that I think would be a great release for Radiance is Rosaura a las 10 (Rosaura at 10 O'Clock) (1958).

Directed by Mario Soffici it is very highly regarded in it's native Argentina with an ingenious narrative unlike any film I've ever seen. Had me hooked until the very end.

The film was in competition at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival but failed to win any prizes. A hidden gem that is screaming for discovery.

What A Disgrace

#639 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:29 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 am
A film I only recently discovered myself that I think would be a great release for Radiance is Rosaura a las 10 (Rosaura at 10 O'Clock) (1958).

Directed by Mario Soffici it is very highly regarded in it's native Argentina with an ingenious narrative unlike any film I've ever seen. Had me hooked until the very end.

The film was in competition at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival but failed to win any prizes. A hidden gem that is screaming for discovery.
The director's earlier film, Prisioneros de la tierra, was released by Criterion as part of their World Cinema Foundation, but the description I read of the film on IMDB (and the fact that it was more highly regarded) stuck in my mind so much that I recognized the title, even though I was quite cool on Prisioneros de la tierra. I would definitely love to see this film, as well as other Argentine classics.

Aunt Peg

#640 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:02 am

Never realised that was the same director. I too am cool on Prisioneros de la tierra but would love to see more of his work.

yoloswegmaster

#641 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 am

The newsletter is hinting at a O.C. and Stiggs announcement next month:
Don't forget to join us next month for new announcements, this summer is going to be mind roasting!

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#642 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:46 am

If they put out an HD version of O.C and Stiggs, that will no doubt be my release of the year by any label.

therewillbeblus

#643 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:55 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:46 am
If they put out an HD version of O.C and Stiggs, that will no doubt be my release of the year by any label.
Same, and this is as blunt a clue as they could possibly give! I feel like my voice's been heard

beamish14

#644 Post by beamish14 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:57 am

I truly hope Radiance can rustle up the involvement of its three credited screenwriters and Pierre Mignot, who is an amazingly underrated DP

MichaelB

#645 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:54 pm

Calvin wrote:Bresson's widow won't licence out Four Nights of a Dreamer. The only reason I've ever heard given was via one of the old MoC team, who said that she was holding out to get all of his films under one label but that's no closer to being realised now than it was 10 years ago.
Further away, I’d say. There was a time when Artificial Eye had a big chunk of his filmography, but it’s become more diffuse now, with Criterion and the BFI jumping on the bandwagon.

rapta

#646 Post by rapta » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:09 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:46 am
Not to mention the clue "OCS" on Fran's handwritten list, so no doubt for O.C. & Stiggs! I hope they have more Altman on the way as well, perhaps The Player or at least Thieves Like Us and Fool for Love (perhaps "ALT" is another one of those).

Finch

#647 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:20 am

new YT interview with Fran

"A lot more Japanese cinema next year" is music to my ears! So thrilled that those are doing well for Radiance.

rapta

#648 Post by rapta » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:02 pm

At this point they could just do an annual Japanese-only subscription and I'd sign uo...

yoloswegmaster

#649 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 am

Spines 17, 18, and 22 are going to be announced tomorrow. Hoping that A Moment of Romance gets announced.

Stefan Andersson

#650 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:31 pm

Would Radiance be interested in Alain Jessua´s films?
La vie à l´envers
Jeu de massacre
Traitement de choc
Armaguedon
Les chiens