Tears of the Black Tiger (Wisit Sasanatieng, 2000)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lino

Tears of the Black Tiger (Wisit Sasanatieng, 2000)

#1 Post by Lino » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:46 am

It's being released in the theatres for the first time in North America and if you want to do yourselves a favour, don't miss it for the life of you! This is something you've never seen before. Follow the link to Twitch for the trailer and more info.

zombeaner

#2 Post by zombeaner » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:07 am

I finally got a copy of the Thai DVD with the longest cut. I'm going to watch this week.

Len

#3 Post by Len » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:19 am

Longest cut? Ouch. I quite like the film, but thought it could've done with some trimming around the middle of the film, as it feels like it's already 10 or 15 minutes too long. Can't imagine additional scenes adding anything worthwhile to the film.

Having said that, any film that has cowboys shooting bazookas and midgets armed with machineguns is fine by me. It's definitely worth seeing, and at times it's even quite amazing.

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:14 pm

zombeaner wrote:I finally got a copy of the Thai DVD with the longest cut. I'm going to watch this week.
How long does it run? And where did you get it? I have the UK DVD and although I know that the german edition is the one to go (judging from reviews and seeing screecaps), it doesn't carry english subs.

To say that I'm waiting for a definitive edition of this bonkers film is an understatement as the UK DVDs picture quality is on the lackluster side (this one should shine like an old technicolor movie if properly transfered). I really hope that Miramax does us fans a favour and actually manages to put out a decent DVD, when it finally comes out on R1.

zedz

#5 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Len wrote:Longest cut? Ouch. I quite like the film, but thought it could've done with some trimming around the middle of the film, as it feels like it's already 10 or 15 minutes too long. Can't imagine additional scenes adding anything worthwhile to the film.
Ditto. This seemed to me like a cool short that wore out its welcome after about 20 minutes. After an hour I couldn't wait for it to be over. If you liked it, or liked the idea of it, Weerasethakul's camp throwaway The Adventure of Iron Pussy treads similar ground, but I found it a lot more enjoyable.

DrewReiber

#6 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:55 pm

I've been waiting for this film since I first saw a shot in an issue of Asian Cult Cinema years ago. I soon discovered that the Weinsteins bought it for the inescapable asian film vault, and pretty soon gave up ever seeing it. I'm ecstatic that Magnolia picked up the film and have spent the last week sending the trailer to friends. I just wish it was playing theatrically in my area. :(

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Hmm, it does seem to exist a longer cut of this movie around. The UK DVD runs for 98 minutes, while the french one is 110 minutes long. The japanese DVD is by turn, 114 minutes long. Confused? So am I.

I wonder which cut is the director's prefered one?

Edit: Wikipedia came to the rescue:
Alternate versions, DVD

When Fortissimo Films sold Tears of the Black Tiger in Europe, it made cuts to streamline the film's pacing, reducing the 113-minute running time to 101 minutes. This version was released theatrically in several countries, including France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.[23]

The original version of the film, with English subtitles, was released on DVD in Thailand by Digital Right, and it is out of print. A Singaporean Region 3 release, also with English subtitles, had scenes involving graphic violence cut. The Region 2 release, marketed in Europe by Pathé and in Region 4 by Madman Entertainment is the 101-minute "international" version. Among the deleted scenes are those involving the comic relief character, Sergeant Yam, Rumpoey's engagement to Captain Kumjorn and other transitional scenes.[35]

The first DVD release for Region 1 will be in 2007 by Magnolia Pictures, which has acquired the original version of the film.[8]
Let's hope Magnolia Pictures delivers the goods, come DVD releasing time.

barrym71

#8 Post by barrym71 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:07 pm

zedz wrote: This seemed to me like a cool short that wore out its welcome after about 20 minutes. After an hour I couldn't wait for it to be over. If you liked it, or liked the idea of it, Weerasethakul's camp throwaway The Adventure of Iron Pussy treads similar ground, but I found it a lot more enjoyable.
I agree. I was actually angry by the end of the movie. It seemed terribly drawn out. If I hadn't been watching it with a friend, I would have just left after the first hour.

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:07 pm

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:22 pm

DavisDVD has some great news regarding the R1 release of this movie! It will contain an audio commentary with the director (!), deleted scenes, a making-of featurette and a trailer gallery which makes it the most complete DVD edition of Tears to date! Fantastic job, Magnolia Pictures!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#11 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Has anyone seen the Magnolia release of the film? I was disturbed by Rosenbaum's review, which says the film has been cut by six minutes and runs 97 minutes total. I suspect this is a mistake (since 97 minutes would be sixteen minutes shorter than the original cut), but it doesn't open here until next month, so I was hoping someone else could confirm or deny.

Brian Oblivious

#12 Post by Brian Oblivious » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:11 pm

I saw it in San Francisco last month. Previously I'd seen the cut Hong Kong VCD version, and the original Thai theatrical release while I was living in that country. The print Magnolia sent to San Francisco is as complete as I've seen the film to be, and though I'm not much of a clock-checker or minute-counter, I remember coming out of the theatre noticing I'd been in for nearly two hours (I remember because I was surprised how the film flew by, even on my third viewing). Does that help?

DrewReiber

#13 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Amazon lists the Magnolia DVD at 109 minutes. Not that Amazon is the pillar of fact checking, but I'm willing to bet that Rosenbaum is confused.

Antoine Doinel

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:37 pm

The troubled six year history between when the film was purchased, meddled with by the Weinsteins and finally released in North America.