Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (Matt Maiellaro & Dave Willis, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Steven H

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (Matt Maiellaro & Dave Willis, 2007)

#1 Post by Steven H » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 am

I know there are some ATHF fans around, so who thinks this will be a horrible trainwreck and who thinks it will be funny as hell? I'm in the latter camp, but I'm an easy laugh. Though it was more scary than funny how the Boston ATHF Bomb Scare went down.

If anyone else is like me, and tries to avoid downloading trailers at all costs, here's a Flash Version of this film's.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 am

I imagine it will be of the same quality as the series. This obviously says a lot about the relative quality of the movie depending on where you stand on the show. It looks like absolute garbage to me, but I'm sure it cost next to nothing to make and will well recoup all its marketing costs the first weekend.

lord_clyde

#3 Post by lord_clyde » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:30 am

Aqua Teen Hunger Force is hilarious, and usually has pretty good story ideas. Granted they fit that into roughly ten minutes, so how a full length movie will turn out is anybody's guess.

sevenarts

#4 Post by sevenarts » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:34 am

Yea, considering that a good portion of the show's appeal is its quick pace and random progression of ideas in a very short timeframe, I can't imagine how good a feature film will turn out. But I'm sure there'll be some good laughs, and I'll probably see it anyway.

Steven H

#5 Post by Steven H » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 am

I was worried about that aspect as well. But it's still under and hour and a half and I'm sure many of it's fans have had the courage to watch a dozen episodes in a row, at least. Who knows, it might even have a plot (maybe to it's detriment.)

Polybius

#6 Post by Polybius » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 am

Just an elementary run through of all the miscreants they've run across would take up plenty of time. I have confidence.

ATHF and Harvey Birdman each strike the right notes, but I'm a bit immune to most of Adult Swim's other offerings.

lord_clyde

#7 Post by lord_clyde » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:32 pm

Polybius wrote:Just an elementary run through of all the miscreants they've run across would take up plenty of time. I have confidence.

ATHF and Harvey Birdman each strike the right notes, but I'm a bit immune to most of Adult Swim's other offerings.
Gasp! :shock: Even the excellent Venture Bros. and Boondocks?

Macintosh

#8 Post by Macintosh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:51 pm

lord_clyde wrote:Gasp! :shock: Even the excellent Venture Bros. and Boondocks?
double gasp! :shock: what about 12 oz. Mouse?

bunuelian

#9 Post by bunuelian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Metalocalypse is ok, too. Moral Orel needs to go, though.

I don't have confidence that the ATHF guys are clever enough to pull this movie off. It's one thing to sit around getting high making up random stuff for a 15 minute episode, but a feature length is something else entirely. And I'm saying this as a fan of the show . . .

Hopefully Carl plays a substantial role. "I got problems!"

Polybius

#10 Post by Polybius » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:37 am

Yeah, I want lots of Carl, too.

I've only seen a chunk of one Venture Bros. episode, and it looked okay. In spite of enjoying Aaron's work, I have never managed to see an episode of Boondocks.

I was thinking mainly of the smug Sealab 2021 and the pointlessly inane Brak Show. And that thing with the Mayor, which is also too impressed with itself.

lord_clyde

#11 Post by lord_clyde » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:10 pm

Polybius wrote:I've only seen a chunk of one Venture Bros. episode, and it looked okay. In spite of enjoying Aaron's work, I have never managed to see an episode of Boondocks.

I was thinking mainly of the smug Sealab 2021 and the pointlessly inane Brak Show. And that thing with the Mayor, which is also too impressed with itself.
Tom Goes to the Mayor is a waste of airtime, but you should seriously consider renting/buying season one of The Boondocks. It is well written, very funny, and has probably the best animation on adult swim (as far as adult swim originals go).

Ste

#12 Post by Ste » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:20 pm

I'd like to see this one done as live-action.

Nihonophile

#13 Post by Nihonophile » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:01 am

Jerry Beck review:

After reading the review consider this comment someone made to his blog entry:
"I haven't seen the film yet, but people's attitudes towards the film and the show tend to be similar. The idea of the show is similar to that of Godard, South Park, DogStarNight and Seinfeld, to examine the idea of entertainment and what it means. It is meant to insult you, and really if critics embraced it, it would be more of a depressing pretentious affair. Maybe the film does falter in what the show had, unquestionable humanity to its characters… but I'd have to see it first.

Besides, that poster is simply amazing."

Steven H

#14 Post by Steven H » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Well, I saw this and laughed my head off. Most of the humor stems from a) the fact you're actually watching this in a theater, b) a familiarity with the show's characters beforehand, and c) not being A. O. Scott. I do have the feeling this is going to be a lot better on home video.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#15 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:26 am

Steven H wrote:I do have the feeling this is going to be a lot better on home video.
Yeah, those ushers are so damn uppity about public intoxication.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:32 am

It seems like pretty much bullshit to give a film a pass by the sheer virtue that you're seeing it in a theatre.

Steven H

#17 Post by Steven H » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 am

Domino Harvey wrote:It seems like pretty much bullshit to give a film a pass by the sheer virtue that you're seeing it in a theatre.
It's an absurd film, part of the fun is the oddity of taking it out of it's 15 minutes late Sunday night and putting it on a big screen. The people doing it obviously had this effect in mind.

The bullshit comment struck a nerve though. Glad to see you're meeting me halfway.

teddyleevin

#18 Post by teddyleevin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 pm

I saw the movie, and I loved it. My favorite characters (Emory, Oglethorpe, and Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future) were present. And, the opening bit with the food was amazing.

Also, Neil Peart of my favorite band, Rush, was in it. As himself.

In addition, the cast was full of awesome voice actors, even as small roles, (ex. H. Jon Benjamin).

lord_clyde

#19 Post by lord_clyde » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:58 pm

teddyleevin wrote:. . . and Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future) were present. . .
I am so in.

dadaistnun

#20 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 pm

So.....Patti Smith participates in the DVDs audio commentary?

lord_clyde

#21 Post by lord_clyde » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:58 am

So, I think this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The plot revolves around
SpoilerShow
an exercise machine that kills. and everyone is related. except carl.
Thefirst three minutes are pretty funny but after that its 90 minutes of - well lets just say they weren't saving the best jokes for the movie. I can count on the bloody stump where my hand used to be how many times I laughed after the intro. And the stump doesn't count. And I didn't really lose my hand. Zero times.

And as it turns out, there is such a thing as too much Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future. I have a theory that they weren't interested in making the movie, so they just didn't try very hard.

Oh, and the movie ends by insulting the audience.

oldsheperd

#22 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:19 am

I guess most of the dialogue on the shows is improvised. Don't know how much of a script they used for the film. I'm actually anticipating a new seaon of Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job!!! Anything those guys do is hilarious.

lord_clyde

#23 Post by lord_clyde » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:37 pm

oldsheperd wrote:I guess most of the dialogue on the shows is improvised. Don't know how much of a script they used for the film. I'm actually anticipating a new seaon of Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job!!! Anything those guys do is hilarious.
Have you seen the Robot Chicken Star Wars Special? Apparently the Empire on Ice segment was done by Tim and Eric.

oldsheperd

#24 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm

I've seen the Star Wars that whole thing was funny.

Polybius

#25 Post by Polybius » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:11 am

Especially the bit about the alien who loses his hand in the cantina. That was inspired.

And a thousand pardons for whiffing earlier on The Venture Bros. I've been catching up on that on Sunday nights and it's fabulous.