'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#176 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Yes, but I can't think of a more perfect title for the set than "Roman Polanski's Fallen Women."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#177 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 pm

I don't think the phrase "Fallen Women" is going to be associated with Polanski for obvious reasons.

justeleblanc

#178 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:23 pm

A few points.

The Paramount Polanski DVDs are great as is.

Paramount will not license Rosemary to Criterion.

There is little correlation between a studio title's in print status and whether Criterion has licensed it.

The status of a director has little correlation with whether Criterion will put their films into an Eclipse set (Kurosawa, Ozu).

Question: Is the need for three similar films to be packaged together simply an OCD thing?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#179 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:37 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Question: Is the need for three similar films to be packaged together simply an OCD thing?
It was my understanding that the three films constituted an informal trilogy about urban alienation. Or, as this girl calls it, the "apartment trilogy."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#180 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:38 pm

I was only referring to the popularity of the films, which is much higher than the films contained within even the Kurosawa and Ozu sets. I wasn't slighting the filmmakers that've been featured in the Eclipse line or saying that their films are inferior to Polanski's.

Plus, I was being super-hypothetical. If Paramount gave Criterion the rights to these movies, they wouldn't use those rights to put out an Eclipse set. Of course, that wouldn't happen in the first place.

EDIT: And they're not going to name multiple sets "Fallen Women," by the way.

Cameron

#181 Post by Cameron » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 pm

That awful Repulsion release needs to be replaced. Seriously, a DVD rip from a pan and scan VHS tape. Sub-bootleg quality. I'd be more than willing to double dip on it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#182 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:31 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:And they're not going to name multiple sets "Fallen Women," by the way.
Um, I was joking... :wink:

reno dakota

#184 Post by reno dakota » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 am

Shemyrushmoremax wrote:I know this is a little off the train of thought going but does anyone know if Stalker, Mirror or The Sacrifice is up for a Criterion release?
In short, no. These three are licensed to Kino (more information here).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#186 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Well, never say never. [-o<

Thomas J.

#187 Post by Thomas J. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Shemyrushmoremax wrote:It's a shame those cannot have Criterion editions
Would it still be a shame if Kino were to re-release them in better editions? Or do they have to be Criterions?

kaujot

#188 Post by kaujot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Thomas J. wrote:
Shemyrushmoremax wrote:It's a shame those cannot have Criterion editions
Would it still be a shame if Kino were to re-release them in better editions? Or do they have to be Criterions?
It wouldn't be a shame, but what are the chances of Kino putting out a better than average product (ESPECIALLY a Tarkovsky)?

justeleblanc

#189 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Their Stalker is quite good. Have you looked at it?

Also, Kino has been re-releasing some of their films when new prints are available, the Murnaus are the ones that come to mind.

kaujot

#190 Post by kaujot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Their Stalker is quite good. Have you looked at it?

Also, Kino has been re-releasing some of their films when new prints are available, the Murnaus are the ones that come to mind.
I own it. The transfer is not what it could or should be.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#191 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Kino has the best Tarkovsky covers [/vom]

kaujot

#192 Post by kaujot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:14 pm

The Sacrifice is their masterpiece.

justeleblanc

#193 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 pm

kaujot wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:Their Stalker is quite good. Have you looked at it?

I own it. The transfer is not what it could or should be.
I agree, but the transfer (not done by Kino) was all that was available and it is identical to other versions.

Keep in mind Criterion only releases films if proper "elements" of a film exist. Hence why they have not released Antonioni's La Notte yet.

Also, Criterion does not always do stellar jobs. Please director your attention to two DVDs of their from directors who are very high on their list: Ozu's Good Morning and Renoir's The Golden Coach (the ending).

I think the Kino is fine and worth getting until the BR comes out.

kaujot

#194 Post by kaujot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 am

justeleblanc wrote:I agree, but the transfer (not done by Kino) was all that was available and it is identical to other versions.

Keep in mind Criterion only releases films if proper "elements" of a film exist. Hence why they have not released Antonioni's La Notte yet.

Also, Criterion does not always do stellar jobs. Please director your attention to two DVDs of their from directors who are very high on their list: Ozu's Good Morning and Renoir's The Golden Coach (the ending).

I think the Kino is fine and worth getting until the BR comes out.
I agree with your points. But I'd still rather see Criterion handle it (if they can get their hands on a proper print/transfer) than Kino putting barely a sigh's worth of effort into it.

nostalghic

#195 Post by nostalghic » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:27 am

I have the region 4 editions of Tarkovsky's first 5 films and I think their visual quality is quite good. If you guys are very disappointed with the American release you might want to have a look? I could take some images from the transfer if they aren't available on the internet somewhere?

I would like a good release of Nostalghia, the copy I have is a bit of a shame. Especially when all the intricate details of the Italian buildings look murky. I thought I might email Madman here to ask if they would consider releasing it in region 4 too.

One particular movie I have always thought is in line with the type of movies that Criterion release is The Cook the Thief the Wife and his Lover, and I do believe I read somewhere that it is in the running! One of my favourites!

kaujot

#196 Post by kaujot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 am

nostalghic wrote:One particular movie I have always thought is in line with the type of movies that Criterion release is The Cook the Thief the Wife and his Lover, and I do believe I read somewhere that it is in the running!
Criterion has confirmed that they're releasing the film.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#197 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 pm

It'd be great to know who holds the rights to Entre Nous, and whether Criterion has considered putting it out. The old non-anamorphic Fox Lorber disc has been out of print for almost a decade and it still sells for way too much. It's a great film that's worthy of a quality release.

AfterTheRain

#198 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:37 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:It'd be great to know who holds the rights to Entre Nous, and whether Criterion has considered putting it out. The old non-anamorphic Fox Lorber disc has been out of print for almost a decade and it still sells for way too much. It's a great film that's worthy of a quality release.
Yes, and they should also put out Cocktail Molotov (which had been a sure-fire release from Criterion years ago) and Peppermint Soda. Together with Entre Nous - all three are directed by Diane Kurys - they could make a box set. Whether it's Eclipse or CC, just get them out! They deserve to be seen by a much wider audience.

psufootball07

#199 Post by psufootball07 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Truffaut's The Last Metro has been playing on IFC recently and it has Janus films logos, any chance this will be coming to Criterion?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#200 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:59 pm

I believe Criterion has the rights to a ton of Truffaut movies but it's anyone's guess as to why they're sitting on them