'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#2351 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Eh..I don't really think it's likely that Criterion is going to get any first run Jarmusch feature from Focus. If there is any Jarmusch from Focus, it will be the OOP Neil Young doc, Year of the Horse. Mulvaney already said "no" to Broken Flowers. Year of the Horse might be a decent companion piece to 1991: The Year Punk Broke.

Likely, there will be no Jarmusch from Focus IMO.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#2352 Post by Tribe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:18 pm

Jun-Dai wrote:I think this came up a year and a half ago. It also shows up in this mysterious 2006 spreadsheet about world films on cable as a Janus title.
It mentions something called Kyonetsu no kisetsu...anyone familiar with that?

Dadapass

#2353 Post by Dadapass » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Tribe wrote:It mentions something called Kyonetsu no kisetsu... anyone familiar with that?
IMDb

Cinephrenic

#2354 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:05 am

Tribe wrote:
Jun-Dai wrote:I think this came up a year and a half ago. It also shows up in this mysterious 2006 spreadsheet about world films on cable as a Janus title.
It mentions something called Kyonetsu no kisetsu... anyone familiar with that?
It's a Janus title for a while now. Deep Crimson is confirmed as it also appears in their website for viewing.

Doctor Sunshine

#2355 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 am

Cinephrenic wrote:
Tribe wrote:
It mentions something called Kyonetsu No Kisetsu...anyone familiar with that?
It's a Janus title for a while now. Deep Crimson is confirmed as it also appears in their website for viewing.
I wouldn't mind if they did but, as Matt pointed out, HVE released it a few years ago.

There's more on The Warped Ones on Wikipedia. I think Janus probably picked it up back when they got Velvet Hustler and all those Suzukis, so we're talking 10+ years. I'm still optimistic they'll release it this year though, it's certainly been a good one for Nikkatsu titles.

LightBulbFilm

#2356 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Given Criterion's new relationship with Focus, I think Jarmusch's The Limits Of Control has a good shot at being handled by CC.
I was thinking the exact same thing and seeing their return to exclusive home video releases on certain films so far (CCoBB and Che) it could be a total possibility.

kaujot

#2357 Post by kaujot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:18 pm

What's the box-office results for Limits so far, though? I wonder if that might also play a part in which Focus titles Criterion gets a hold of. Though, Che was no blockbuster. It might be a case of director relations (which gets my hopes up for Limits).

knives

#2358 Post by knives » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Limits bombed bad. It's made just above 400 thousand so far.

MoonlitKnight

#2359 Post by MoonlitKnight » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I really wish they'd make these arthouse films more readily available to (at the very least) ALL North American metro regions. But seeing as we're dealing with such 'acquired taste' films, that's not likely to happen.

Gregory

#2360 Post by Gregory » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Since this has come up, can anyone tell me how much Limits of Control cost to make? I tried to find that out a while ago and came up with nothing.

Bloody Benten

#2361 Post by Bloody Benten » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Speaking of HVE does anyone else think that All About Lily Chou Chou was good enough to be on Criterion's mainline? I always thought it was.

ianungstad

#2362 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:43 pm

I see a few people are speculating that Criterion will release Gray's Anatomy alongside Che. Personally, I doubt that Criterion will be releasing an additional Soderbergh title alongside Che but if they do, I think it's far more likely that it would be King of the Hill (licensed from Focus Features). Criterion seems to be entering a strong relationship with Focus Features, King of the Hill would be a decent seller, has never been released on R1.

As for Gray's Anatomy, it would seem far more appropriate to time it's release with the release of Soderbergh's Spalding Gray documentary that's currently in-production according to IMDB. I don't know much about the documentary that's in production but pairing these up in the near future makes more sense to me than slapping it alongside Che.

fiddlesticks

#2363 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Bloody Benten wrote:Speaking of HVE does anyone else think that All About Lily Chou Chou was good enough to be on Criterion's mainline? I always thought it was.
While I'd welcome IWAI Shunji's inclusion in the Collection, Lily would not be my first choice. I much prefer his gentler side, particularly in Fireworks and April Story (which, by the way, would make a nice double set, as the combined running time is under 2:00). As for his grittier films, my first choice would be Swallowtail Butterfly, which I think flows much better than Lily (and has a terrific cameo from Mickey Curtis.)

Jun-Dai
監督

#2364 Post by Jun-Dai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:54 pm

Bloody Benten wrote:Speaking of HVE does anyone else think that All About Lily Chou Chou was good enough to be on Criterion's mainline? I always thought it was.
I don't think I'd have any problem with it, but I can think of a few dozen directors I'd rather see in the CC first. Nothing wrong with Iwai or AALCC, though. I think I might prefer Hana and Alice or Swallowtail a bit.

svilla

#2365 Post by svilla » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:41 pm

ianungstad wrote:I see a few people are speculating that Criterion will release Gray's Anatomy alongside Che. Personally, I doubt that Criterion will be releasing an additional Soderbergh title alongside Che but if they do, I think it's far more likely that it would be King of the Hill (licensed from Focus Features).
Wasn't there a story awhile back about how Soderbergh had put together an alternate cut of Kafka? I believe he just wanted to tinker with it and see what came about, but liked it enough to think about releasing the two versions side by side. This sounds exactly like something Criterion might be interested in. Have no idea who owns the rights though.

ianungstad

#2366 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 pm

svilla wrote:
ianungstad wrote:I see a few people are speculating that Criterion will release Gray's Anatomy alongside Che. Personally, I doubt that Criterion will be releasing an additional Soderbergh title alongside Che but if they do, I think it's far more likely that it would be King of the Hill (licensed from Focus Features).
Wasn't there a story awhile back about how Soderbergh had put together an alternate cut of Kafka? I believe he just wanted to tinker with it and see what came about, but liked it enough to think about releasing the two versions side by side. This sounds exactly like something Criterion might be interested in. Have no idea who owns the rights though.
Should be Paramount, so also a possibilty.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2367 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:44 pm

So according to a compatriot of mine who went to an Agnes Varda screening at the American Cinematheque last night with a Q&A with Ms. Varda, she said that she's trying to get Criterion to put out "Mural Murals", "Lions Love", and a couple of her other films in this country and the Criterion isn't biting because they figure they're not very profitable. She says shes still trying though.

My only response is "What?". A famous autuer is trying to get her films released and Criterion blows her off. And unprofitable? They frequently take risks, why turn this one down?

CSM126

#2368 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:10 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Varda
Sadly unsurprising news. I got a no when I asked them about Kung-Fu Master! a few months back. Very disappointing.

movielocke

#2369 Post by movielocke » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:24 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:So according to a compatriot of mine who went to an Agnes Varda screening at the American Cinematheque last night with a Q&A with Ms. Varda, she said that she's trying to get Criterion to put out "Mural Murals", "Lions Love", and a couple of her other films in this country and the Criterion isn't biting because they figure they're not very profitable. She says shes still trying though.

My only response is "What?". A famous autuer is trying to get her films released and Criterion blows her off. And unprofitable? They frequently take risks, why turn this one down?
they're not a charity, why should they take on charity cases?

Gregory

#2370 Post by Gregory » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:40 am

Not everything they release has to be really profitable, and they sometimes release projects fully expecting that they will not make money. Peter Becker has said this, and it's a pretty common approach for small labels, at least as far as I've seen. The key is not to go too overboard with "charity cases." In this case, a lot of it would depend on how much the Varda box set made or didn't make.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#2371 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:47 am

movielocke wrote:
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:So according to a compatriot of mine who went to an Agnes Varda screening at the American Cinematheque last night with a Q&A with Ms. Varda, she said that she's trying to get Criterion to put out "Mural Murals", "Lions Love", and a couple of her other films in this country and the Criterion isn't biting because they figure they're not very profitable. She says shes still trying though.

they're not a charity, why should they take on charity cases?
What about all the other directors that pass along their work along to Criterion to release?

*ahem*Border Radio*ahem*

And this is Agnes Varda. I would make this argument if it was some second rate director, but we're talking about Agnes Varda.

I would assume though that the Varda set didn't sell much. The only film people really want from the set is Cleo 5 to 7 (which is a shame considering how great the other three films are.)

She says she's still talking to them, so I hope for the best.

perkizitore

#2372 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:43 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Matt wrote:Seriously, though. I want more Ozu.
Aren't the other 500 Ozu titles in the collection enough for now? Can't the Eclipse line take care of some other, lesser known filmmakers for a little while?
Where are the Naruse titles Mr. Becker? [-o<

Cinephrenic

#2373 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 pm

We should be getting some kind of Naruse set soon. I mean there is like only one of his films in the collection.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2374 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm no Varda fan but Criterion not wanting to release her later films speaks pretty clearly to their canon-fodder fixation

knives

#2375 Post by knives » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:18 pm

That's a shame, Varda is just as interesting as any other director from the new wave. If it's a matter of sells, how did they expect a hundred dollar four disc set to sell? If they were released separately I'm sure the purchases would be far higher.
Idiots ](*,)