Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (Oliver Stone, 2010)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Antoine Doinel

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (Oliver Stone, 2010)

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Shooting begins on August 10th, meanwhile Alan Loeb works a new draft of the script. Nikki Finke has a summary and it sounds awful. She says they are planning a February 2010 release, while IMDB says 2011. Michael Douglas, Shia LaBeouf and Javier Bardem are confirmed so far.

life_boy

Re: Money Never Sleeps (Oliver Stone, 2011)

#2 Post by life_boy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:22 am

In what will likely be another desperate grab at relevance, Stone will subvert the potential for decent observation and deconstruction by attempting to be timely. And if that horrid synopsis is to be believed, he has gone and given Wall Street a happy ending and made a likable villain a hero. I hate to pass judgment on a film that doesn't even exist yet, but this just feels too obvious to be worthwhile (not that Wall Street was anything close to a masterpiece, but it obviously came from a different place than this film).

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:11 pm

bdsweeney

#4 Post by bdsweeney » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:23 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Trailer
Wow, that looks really awful. Especially the 'humour'.

This is Stone's equivalent of a band reforming after the barren solo years.

aox

#5 Post by aox » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 pm

AWA

#6 Post by AWA » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 am

Is Oliver Stone trying to become the Phil Ochs of film?

Duncan Hopper

#7 Post by Duncan Hopper » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:12 am

AWA wrote:Is Oliver Stone trying to become the Phil Ochs of film?
I know Phil Ochs, but I don't get the reference? Has Stone started going under the name- John Butler Train? :D

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#8 Post by lacritfan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Poor Carey Mulligan is gonna waste her momentum from An Education on this.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#9 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm hoping it's just a shitty trailer and doesn't wholly reflect the movie. As a big fan of the original I have actually been look forward to this one. But my expectations dropped significantly when I saw the cell phone gag.

And as sad as it is Shia the Beef is no Charlie Sheen.

Highway 61

#10 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:29 pm

The trailer actually exceeded my (very low) expectations. Stone's been in decline for nearly twenty years, so it really is a given that the film will be unremarkable. The best we could hope to see was for Douglas to chew the scenery like the old days, and it looks like we'll be getting just that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:44 pm

lacritfan wrote:Poor Carey Mulligan is gonna waste her momentum from An Education on this.
Luckily she's still got Never Let Me Go in the can. I think the bigger waste is her dating Shia Lebouf. Based on her appearance on Charlie Rose, I'm not sure I can even understand what they have in common [/borderline-ONTD comment]

flyonthewall2983

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Highway 61 wrote:The trailer actually exceeded my (very low) expectations. Stone's been in decline for nearly twenty years, so it really is a given that the film will be unremarkable. The best we could hope to see was for Douglas to chew the scenery like the old days, and it looks like we'll be getting just that.
Agreed. I have to admit I had a bit of a chuckle at the cell phone bit, as well as the limo.

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 pm

BTW, just to note, the IMDB page states it'll be released on April 23 of this year.

abuckley89

#14 Post by abuckley89 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Oliver Stone making this is the biggest hypocrisy of them all. Money Never Sleeps? Seems like Stone wasn't dreaming up any profitable ideas so he resorted to this. Ass.

AWA

#15 Post by AWA » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:57 am

Duncan Hopper wrote:
I know Phil Ochs, but I don't get the reference? Has Stone started going under the name- John Butler Train? :D
Phil Ochs was a folk singer who tried desperately to be as relevant and important as Dylan. The problem was, whereas Dylan took an issue of the day and made a timeless question out of it by looking at the bigger picture, Ochs simply wrote songs based on summarizing current events without much thought on expanding the issues into something more wide-reaching and timeless... thus Dylan's songs have aged extremely well, if aged at all, and Ochs, aka "The Singing Newspaper", talented as he was, is stuck forever being a relic of his time.

Likewise, Oliver Stone's mandate these days is attempting to create quick responses to newspaper headlines without much artful gestation to try and make something more than a knee-jerk reaction to capitalize on the interest in the headlines. These films aren't likely to age very well and will be seen as relics trapped in the time and era in which they were made with no way out from that history trap. Thus... the Phil Ochs of film.

Caged Horse

#16 Post by Caged Horse » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 am

AWA wrote:Likewise, Oliver Stone's mandate these days is attempting to create quick responses to newspaper headlines without much artful gestation to try and make something more than a knee-jerk reaction to capitalize on the interest in the headlines. These films aren't likely to age very well and will be seen as relics trapped in the time and era in which they were made with no way out from that history trap. Thus... the Phil Ochs of film.
If only the director of JFK had been around 109 years ago. It sounds like he'd be ideal for The Execution of Czolgosz. :-)

Cold Bishop

#17 Post by Cold Bishop » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:14 am

Stone has never made a movie as good as Pleasures of the Harbor.

numediaman2

#18 Post by numediaman2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 pm

AWA wrote:
Duncan Hopper wrote:
Phil Ochs was a folk singer who tried desperately to be as relevant and important as Dylan. The problem was, whereas Dylan took an issue of the day and made a timeless question out of it by looking at the bigger picture, Ochs simply wrote songs based on summarizing current events without much thought on expanding the issues into something more wide-reaching and timeless... thus Dylan's songs have aged extremely well, if aged at all, and Ochs, aka "The Singing Newspaper", talented as he was, is stuck forever being a relic of his time.
Thank you for writing this. I was able to cut and paste into another forum for people to read and laugh at. It has provided quite a bit of entertainment as people found it hard to believe anyone could write something so ridiculous.

aox

#19 Post by aox » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:47 pm

numediaman2 wrote:
AWA wrote:
Duncan Hopper wrote: I know Phil Ochs, but I don't get the reference? Has Stone started going under the name- John Butler Train? :D
Thank you for writing this. I was able to cut and paste into another forum for people to read and laugh at. It has provided quite a bit of entertainment as people found it hard to believe anyone could write something so ridiculous.
Please feel free at any time to add you summation of Phil Ochs and his talent and legacy. Because AWA's is almost spot on.

gokinsmen

#20 Post by gokinsmen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 am

I still love Ochs' musicalization* of "The Highwayman." Although I suppose that makes sense since he was working off a classic poem instead of a current event-du-jour.

*(that's not a word, but you get my drift)

perkizitore

#21 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 am

Sorry, but who is the Dylan of film?

Robert de la Cheyniest

#22 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:03 pm

Jean-Luc Godard?

Caged Horse

#23 Post by Caged Horse » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Who is the Bob Dylan's Christmas Album of film? :lol:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Money Never Sleeps (Oliver Stone, 2010)

#24 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Can we please get back on topic by discussing the type of men Carey Mulligan should date

Cold Bishop

Re: Money Never Sleeps (Oliver Stone, 2010)

#25 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Phil Ochs?