Spirits of the Dead

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

marnum

Re: Arrow Films

#26 Post by marnum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Tonyle. Some retailers (Zavvi, The Hut...) are selling Spirits of the Dead BD for £7.85. Can you tell whether it's a misprice or not?

TonyleStephanois

#27 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:48 am

Do you have a link for The Hut? Nothing is returned on my searches. This sounds like a misprice, Zavvi seem to be basing this on old information when this was scheduled as a standalone DVD release of Toby Dammit, which was about 6 months ago. The same is probably true of The Hut - we will investigate. The cheapest place seems to be Amazon.

marnum

#28 Post by marnum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 am

TonyleStephanois wrote:Do you have a link for The Hut? Nothing is returned on my searches. This sounds like a misprice, Zavvi seem to be basing this on old information when this was scheduled as a standalone DVD release of Toby Dammit, which was about 6 months ago. The same is probably true of The Hut - we will investigate. The cheapest place seems to be Amazon.
Yep, thanks.
http://www.thehut.com/blu-ray/spirits-o ... 31366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/spirits-of ... 31366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shop.lovefilm.com/blu-ray/spirit ... 31366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sendit.com/blu-ray/spirits-o ... 31366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zombeaner

#29 Post by zombeaner » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:21 pm

I should have a screener BD soon, I'm very excited!

fdm

#30 Post by fdm » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Here's dvdbeaver's take on Spirits Of The Dead blu-ray.

TonyleStephanois

#31 Post by TonyleStephanois » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 am

Spirits of the Dead Blu-ray reviews up at 10k Bullets and Horrorview.

TonyleStephanois

#32 Post by TonyleStephanois » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:46 am

Regarding the audio on Spirits of the Dead - the inclusion of the SD version is to be able to include Metzengerstein in French, which could not be laid over the HD version because the film was shot twice with Jane Fonda shooting some (not all) of her scenes in French and English, as such Metzengerstein has a slightly different cut. The rest of the film is included for posterity.

Regarding the audio for Toby Dammit specifically, this is more complicated and is explained in depth by Tim Lucas in the booklet. In brief: French - which everybody knows I am sure. Italian - which restores Stamp's English audio but has more of the characters speaking Italian, this version does not make sense because when the characters speak to Stamp in Italian and he answers in English it is assumed he understands Italian and so the final scene makes no sense whatsoever. English (the version to watch) restores Stamp's audio of course but crucially includes more characters speaking English, as a way of communicating with Dammmit, mainly through the translator, so when the Italians speak to him we know he does not understand because no translator is present (as such the Italian language is not translated).

Finch

#33 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Belated Blu-Ray.com review of Spirits of the Dead

Ovader

#34 Post by Ovader » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 pm

cdnchris wrote:Spirits of the Dead Blu-ray.
Agreed with the sparse supplements comment as I would love to see more of the behind the scenes (a bit with Van Heflin) for Fellini's segment which I saw briefly on the La Felliniana docs on the Infinity Arthouse boxset. According to the late Tullio Kezich 15 minutes were cut of the western film set in the episode which would be great to see if the footage still exists.

Dylan

#35 Post by Dylan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:09 pm

Ovader wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 pm
According to the late Tullio Kezich 15 minutes were cut of the western film set in the episode which would be great to see if the footage still exists.
Amazingly, it has been announced that the long lost "Catholic Western" portion of Toby Dammit has been located.

From Tim Lucas on Facebook:
Tim Lucas wrote:I’m told that Sir Christopher Frayling has announced on the latest Spaghetti Westerns Podcast that the “Catholic Western” footage filmed as part of Fellini's TOBY DAMMIT segment in SPIRITS OF THE DEAD has been located! I wrote about this deleted sequence in my Midnight Movies Monograph on SPIRITS OF THE DEAD at some length (with a few photos, one of then establishing that Van Heflin was among its cast) so I can only hope my research inspired someone to go digging. If they’ve gone through the trouble of finding it, we just might get the chance to see it someday!

Ovader

#36 Post by Ovader » Sat May 07, 2022 3:38 pm

Here is the video segment of Frayling mentioning the found footage Fellini shot for two days of the "Catholic Western". I was the person who informed Lucas of that Spaghetti Westerns Podcast and also when he was writing his Monograph of the film I told him of the BTS footage of the western. I encouraged Lucas to include whatever details he could find of the excised footage and perhaps include some photos from the Infinity Arthouse DVD. I was hoping to get some screen grabs from my DVD edition to send to him but didn't have a drive on my laptop to do so as I would have been credited in the book. He did find someone else to do the honours which are included in the book and terrific to see. The narration in La Felliniana states Van Heflin was a guest on the set but that does not necessarily mean he was part of the cast.

Tullio Kezich wrote "During the edit, the director completely cuts a fifteen-minute episode of a Western-style film set that had been fun to shoot but ultimately was superfluous." Hopefully it will be available to view someday preferably on a new edition of Spirits of the Dead as an extra.