Kids Television

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Gregory

Re: Kids Television

#26 Post by Gregory » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:Otherwise, you can tell Gregory, in an earlier post above, indeed hasn't seen Children's Theater, or he would have simply said Kukla, Fran and Ollie, instead of explaining who they are in the wrong order ...
I liked that as a kid, but can't recall much except the puppets.
I actually should have called it CBS Children's Film Festival, not Children's Theater, but it's not the same thing as Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, so I wouldn't have simply said that. I've seen the original Kukla, Fran, and Ollie show, which aired on another network in the 1940s and '50s. Children's Film Festival was on in the 1960s, and had a different format, which I mentioned (they introduce a film from somewhere in the world and talk about it). And yeah, it's actually okay to change the order when discussing the show, describing the human actor first and then the two puppets, but thanks just the same.

knives

#27 Post by knives » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:46 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:John de Lancie will be playing the villain in the second season of...My Little Pony.
I hate the fans of that show so much.

Jeff

Re: Re:

#28 Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Gregory wrote:An older program I've read about but never saw was CBS Children's Theater...I'm curious if anyone has seen this and remembers what they showed.
I vaguely remember the later Saturday Film Festival incarnation sans Kukla, Fran, and Ollie. There is also a detailed list of all the films with descriptions here.

Janus owns the rights to all of the films of Albert Lamorisse. I don't know what happened to their planned deluxe sets of Red Balloon and White Mane, but they need to get everything else out via Eclipse set. I want my Fifi la plume dammit!

Zot!

Children's Television

#29 Post by Zot! » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Can anyone recommend shows available on video that are meant for young Children (toddler+) that are GENTLE. I find the hyperactive pace and screaming of most of the Nick Jr. type "educational" programming to be unsettling. The animated Little Bear is an example of the kind of thing I am looking for. It can be new or old, but preferably have English audio.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Children's Television

#30 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:14 pm

If you can track down David the Gnome, do it.

matrixschmatrix

#31 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Well, Sesame Street, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Caillou all come to mind, depending on what balance of entertaining and gentle you want.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26 pm

PBS' Arthur, and it's enjoyable no matter what age is watching

Zot!

#33 Post by Zot! » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks, I think this sort of thing was a lot more prevalent during the 70s/80s, but I will give Arthur and Caillou a try. David the Gnome is available on DVD in English. Mister Rogers also comes to mind as a calming influence. You know, songs, puppets, muted color palate, and a less frantic pace. I can appreciate something like Yo Gabba Gabba for getting spazzed up and dancing, but more than 10 minutes seems excessive.

Gregory

#34 Post by Gregory » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 pm

And how about The Wind in the Willows?

knives

#35 Post by knives » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:03 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:If you can track down David the Gnome, do it.
Not all of it is gentle though. It doesn't standup very well from an adult perspective, but The Muppet Babies is educational and fun for kids and all that stuff. I think they're only available on the Internet though. Really though the PBS kid's shows are probably the best route to go as they research the hell out of those things to make them entertaining to everyone and helpful to kids.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#36 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Well, I was operating under the assumption that this stuff would be, to an extent, prescreened by Zot! - I remember David the Gnome as being very low key and cerebral without abandoning all sense of adventure.

tarpilot

#37 Post by tarpilot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:PBS' Arthur, and it's enjoyable no matter what age is watching
If we could vote for TV in the musical list, I don't think there's any way I could resist popping in this episode at number 50 (anyone else catch a whiff of a Devo homage there?)

knives

#38 Post by knives » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:29 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Well, I was operating under the assumption that this stuff would be, to an extent, prescreened by Zot! - I remember David the Gnome as being very low key and cerebral without abandoning all sense of adventure.
Wasn't there a rather sobering episode about death where one of David's friends turned to stone or something like that?

matrixschmatrix

#39 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 pm

The series ends with David and his wife sort of metaphorically passing away by turning into trees. It's actually pretty poignant, and well handled- it's hard to imagine a kid being traumatized by it.

knives

#40 Post by knives » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 pm

That goes to show what 15+ years of memory will do. I still think it's a good idea to preview that episode before showing it to really young children.

dx23

#41 Post by dx23 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:23 am

I was finally able to watch the last 7 episodes of the new Thundercats series and I'm actually impressed on how good this series has turned out to be. Not only it is beautifully drawn, but also the writing has been amazing, almost up to par with JLU. Thundercats has probably become the best animated series right now on Cartoon Network. Also, Young Justice has been better as the series has progressed. The last 3 episodes of the season incorporated a lot of Jack Kirby's universe.

Small rant: Why do cartoon channels like Cartoon Network, Disney, Disney XD and Nickelodeon feel that it's ok to constantly shuffle their schedule without any rhyme or reasoning? I don't believe Cartoon Network has had the same Friday lineup more than 2 times all year long.

knives

#42 Post by knives » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:29 am

That's how it's always been unfortunately. That's part of why I haven't been able to keep up with Thundercats (will pick up the season DVD if/ when it comes though). I agree that it's been absolutely amazing in dealing with rather adult themes like racism without making it an obnoxious thud. At the worst it's the perfect thing for those waiting for the new Avatar series.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:58 pm

In an effort to make sure I get nothing done today, I discovered Netflix has every episode of Beakman's World available via streaming

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#44 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm

I named my pet dog Josie

Jean-Luc Garbo

#45 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:In an effort to make sure I get nothing done today, I discovered Netflix has every episode of Beakman's World available via streaming
Yeah, it's addictive. Bill Nye was more my style, but he and Beakman were the best science education I ever received.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Let me tell you, not only does this show still hold up, but it is so much funnier than I remembered. Oh children's programming that actually makes learning cool, where art thou now?

tarpilot

#47 Post by tarpilot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm

I think the last great show in that respect was probably Histeria!. Jesus, just when I was getting wistful for the days when sketch TV would rip on Bergman, now I have to be reminded of when kids' shows would model musical sequences on Horse Feathers?

Murdoch

#48 Post by Murdoch » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Ah, Histeria!, now that was a great kids show. A Schoolhouse Rock for the Nickelodeon generation.

knives

#49 Post by knives » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:19 pm

It wasn't the most educational though trading largely in on popular stories than actual history, probably my least favorite of the Speilberg cartoons.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:15 am

I'd never seen this episode of Arthur before, but I'm kind of surprised and delighted that it exists. Can't think of any other show aimed at kids this young that would go anywhere near this topic: "Bleep"